PDA

View Full Version : 1 Answer: Meeting New Friends

welickit
Oct 31, 2009, 2:34 PM
Meeting others with common interests and how to go about it is an ongoing issue that gets lots of discussion here.
Last night we made a host of new and interesting friends and they approached us. So much fun I missed work today because I stayed out to late last night.
To give a little background, we are a both bi, male & female couple. We don't live in the closet but we don't carry around signs that say we are bisexual either.
Over a period of time we have visited a gay/lesbian lounge here in Saint Petersburg and didn't really know anyone that well. Being open to conversation and saying Hi to those who passed by turned into conversations. From there we got to know names to associate with faces. That lead to small talk about common interests and eventually a laying down of the cards regarding sexual preferences.
To make a long story short, we were invited to a Halloween Party last night at the lounge. We were a bit surprised to be invited but also pleased to be included. When we got there we were overwhelmed with greetings from people who remembered us and introduced to many more that we had never met. The people there ranged from mid 20's to 77 years old. Jack proudly informed us that he was 77 and still an active member of the community.
We invested our time to find what we were looking for and are reaping the benefits. We fully expected to not be accepted and it sure felt that way the first couple of visits. Like starting a new job and not knowing anyone. We have met gays & lesbians and also other bisexual couples and singles.
The bottom line is....don't expect a miracle when you walk in the door. You have to earn acceptance. Just like the new job.....you are the outsider. If you are willing to invest time it will pay off. Nothing in life is free.:2cents:

roy m cox
Nov 1, 2009, 3:32 AM
um OK :kay:

Realist
Nov 1, 2009, 6:33 AM
I agree.

I feel the worst thing you can go is get aggressive, when you first meet someone. I'm not saying to be reclusive, though, you have let it be known (subtly) that you're interested, too.

In my experience, it's best to lay back and take it easy, while others get to know you. I've noticed that if you remain your self, be polite, but not overly eager, but communicate openly and honestly, you may become attractive to others; they will approach you in their own time. Push the issue and they will recoil from you.

The same goes for children, animals and those who may become attracted to you.