PDA

View Full Version : It may seem stupid, but I'm happy!

rissababynta
Oct 12, 2009, 6:12 PM
I have gotten a few responses back today for my query letter that I'd sent out about my book. Some are just straight up no thanks while some are "hmm, I like it but I don't know how I would go about successfully representing you" and so on...

Everyone keeps saying "don't get disgouraged...keep trying" and I think it's funny cause I'm actually happy about it! I mean, there are many writers out there that don't evne finish their books, let alone get to this stage! Just the fact that I am getting responses, whether rejections or not, is letting me know that I am a step ahead of a lot of other people...and plus this is all a part of the process anyway...so yay!

baachus
Oct 12, 2009, 6:20 PM
congratulations. first, on finishing your book. that takes time and dedication. secondly, for sending out your query letters. the responses don't matter as much as you've sent them out there. hopefully soon, you will get the reply of 'yes, I like it and will represent you, get you published'. when that day comes, enjoy it and have a glass or two for celebration. good for you

Holmes
Oct 12, 2009, 6:37 PM
Congratulations! So is your book ficition or non? what's it about?

mikey3000
Oct 12, 2009, 6:45 PM
Is it a book of bi Erotica? Cause, man, if it is, I'll take one.

TaylorMade
Oct 12, 2009, 6:49 PM
I have gotten a few responses back today for my query letter that I'd sent out about my book. Some are just straight up no thanks while some are "hmm, I like it but I don't know how I would go about successfully representing you" and so on...

Everyone keeps saying "don't get disgouraged...keep trying" and I think it's funny cause I'm actually happy about it! I mean, there are many writers out there that don't evne finish their books, let alone get to this stage! Just the fact that I am getting responses, whether rejections or not, is letting me know that I am a step ahead of a lot of other people...and plus this is all a part of the process anyway...so yay!

Rissa, that's the same feeling I've been getting about going to strip clubs to apply and doing these amateur contests.

(((Rissa))) You'll get your book and I'll get my job. It's just a question of not giving up. :)

*Taylor*

12voltman59
Oct 12, 2009, 8:42 PM
Don't worry about getting a large number of rejections for a book Cat----many now famous authors and books that became iconic were rejected many times by publishers---JK Rowling had many rejections from publishers for her first Harry Potter book and from that book--an entire segment of both the book and movie industry was created!!

Another book that had major rejection was "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"---it was rejected 121 times, a record number, according to The Guiness Book of World records, for a book that went on to be a bit hit during its time back in the 1970s and is now considered to be one of the milestone books of the 20th century.

Glad that you are feelin' good Cat!

Good luck with your book getting some acceptance at some point!!

rissababynta
Oct 12, 2009, 9:30 PM
Don't worry about getting a large number of rejections for a book Cat----many now famous authors and books that became iconic were rejected many times by publishers---JK Rowling had many rejections from publishers for her first Harry Potter book and from that book--an entire segment of both the book and movie industry was created!!

Another book that had major rejection was "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"---it was rejected 121 times, a record number, according to The Guiness Book of World records, for a book that went on to be a bit hit during its time back in the 1970s and is now considered to be one of the milestone books of the 20th century.

Awww Volty...I'm not Cat sweety :-P

FalconAngel
Oct 12, 2009, 10:25 PM

I have that book and it does read like a journey through the mind of a harmless madman.

Still a good book.

Like everyone else says, don't give up. Rejection is part of the process that you will have to live with.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Oct 12, 2009, 11:45 PM
Uhmmm, thank you Sweetheart, but that's Rissa, not me! lol
Yes Riss, you'll go thru a stage where you'll hear all of this a time or two. I like the, "I love the works, but however, we have too many of that particular genre at this time. Keep up the good work though" routine.
One of these days some publisher will take a read at your works and fall in love. :}
Keep on keepin' on Sugar. 2Thumbs up!
Cat

Doggiestyle
Oct 13, 2009, 12:14 AM
You know, before a NASCAR auto race they introduce and parade around the racetrack every driver, in the back of a convertable or pick-up. They would smile and wave to the crowd as they went around the track and when a popular, favorite came by. The crowd would holler and scream and whistle, very few would holler boo and curse. But when most of the drivers came around, it was at best a little noise, but that's all. No hollering and cheering like the favorites got.
And then there were the despised, even hated drivers. I can remember when Tony Stuart got into that condition, and maybe a few others. But one that I can remember in particular was Dale Earnhardt. When he was parade-ed around the racetrack, he would smile and wave like the rest of the drivers would. A few serious Earnhardt fans would cheer as loud as they could, but the overwhelming crowd would boo and curse him. One day a TV reporter, doing a interview, asked him "why do you wave and smile and pretend that everything is Ok when the most of the crowd boo's and curses at you. Dales reply was "yeah some holler yea and some holler nay, but at least they are hollering at me". He went on to say that most of the drivers don't get any response out of the crowd at all!

So Rissa, the bottom line is this. I agree with what you are saying about the fact that even though some are saying nay and some are saying ? maybe ? At least they are saying, and that is worth a lot, I think. In other words even 50% of something is better than a 100% of nothing, which is what most get, HUH? :tong:

And that's my :2cents: opinion on that subject. Your friend, :doggie:

12voltman59
Oct 13, 2009, 2:26 AM
Oops--I was half asleep when I posted it--MY BAD!! :bigrin::bigrin:

rissababynta
Oct 13, 2009, 9:48 AM
You know, before a NASCAR auto race they introduce and parade around the racetrack every driver, in the back of a convertable or pick-up. They would smile and wave to the crowd as they went around the track and when a popular, favorite came by. The crowd would holler and scream and whistle, very few would holler boo and curse. But when most of the drivers came around, it was at best a little noise, but that's all. No hollering and cheering like the favorites got.
And then there were the despised, even hated drivers. I can remember when Tony Stuart got into that condition, and maybe a few others. But one that I can remember in particular was Dale Earnhardt. When he was parade-ed around the racetrack, he would smile and wave like the rest of the drivers would. A few serious Earnhardt fans would cheer as loud as they could, but the overwhelming crowd would boo and curse him. One day a TV reporter, doing a interview, asked him "why do you wave and smile and pretend that everything is Ok when the most of the crowd boo's and curses at you. Dales reply was "yeah some holler yea and some holler nay, but at least they are hollering at me". He went on to say that most of the drivers don't get any response out of the crowd at all!

So Rissa, the bottom line is this. I agree with what you are saying about the fact that even though some are saying nay and some are saying ? maybe ? At least they are saying, and that is worth a lot, I think. In other words even 50% of something is better than a 100% of nothing, which is what most get, HUH? :tong:

And that's my :2cents: opinion on that subject. Your friend, :doggie:

That's pretty much exactly what I was saying! I've had this idea since I was 12 years old, and for the longest time I never thought that I would even be able to FINISH my book, so I'm just ecstatic to be able to go through this process. It only means that I'm one step closer than I was even a few weeks ago haha.

Stephen King was rejected so many times that when he was halfway through writing Carrie, he threw it in the garbage. His wife was cleaning up one day and saw it, read it, and said "I think this is a winner, you have to finish it." So after putting it off and putting it off, he eventually finished it. And, well, we all know how that one ends haha.

I bet the people who told Elvis not to quit his day job have been kicking themselves for years.

Donkey_burger
Oct 14, 2009, 11:29 AM
Congrats, Rissa!

The book will be published someday, gosh darn it!

DB :flag3:

rissababynta
Oct 14, 2009, 12:31 PM
Congrats, Rissa!

The book will be published someday, gosh darn it!

DB :flag3:

Thanks. I've read a lot of shitty books before so I'm bound to find SOMEONE who wants me lol.

I got 2 more rejections yesterday, and both said that they felt they weren't the right agency HOWEVER my project was interesting and showed much merit lol.

Donkey_burger
Oct 14, 2009, 1:19 PM
Thanks. I've read a lot of shitty books before so I'm bound to find SOMEONE who wants me lol.

I got 2 more rejections yesterday, and both said that they felt they weren't the right agency HOWEVER my project was interesting and showed much merit lol.

So, if your book showed merit, then why didn't they publish it?

Whatever.

DB :bipride:

rissababynta
Oct 14, 2009, 4:58 PM
So, if your book showed merit, then why didn't they publish it?

Whatever.

DB :bipride:

My thoughts exactly haha.

The one guy said that it sounded very interesting and my approach was intriguing but he wasn't sure if he could represent me successfully. I was sitting there like "well, what the hell kind of an agent are you???" lol

izzfan
Oct 14, 2009, 10:17 PM
I didn't know that you were a writer Rissa, best of luck with getting your novel published. I've only ever had one short story published (and that was after submitting two stories per year to a small press anthology for about three years, it takes perseverence).

There are heaps of books about how to get published/ get an agent but no doubt you've probably read some of them. One piece of advice I read about agents is to never get an agent who charges for his/her services before your work has been sold, an agent should always take a commision/percentage from any sales otherwise they have no incentive for trying to sell your book to publishers.

Well done on writing a full-length book though, it takes a hell of a lot of time and effort. I've only ever written two novellas (both are unpublished, though the first one isn't any good- they were 21,500 and 19,000 words in length, I still haven't tried writing a full length book yet) and a lot of short stories (only one of which is published).

Have you considered self-publishing/print on demand? [beware of "vanity" presses though] Most publishers look down on self-published works but the bestselling author Matthew Reilly self-published his first novel and about 4 years (and quite a few sales) later, a major publisher showed an interest in it and it went on to sell millions of copies.

I'm sure that your book will get published one day and I wish you the best of luck with it. :) Sorry if I've said anything that you already know, this is just my :2cents:

wyrd_truth
Oct 14, 2009, 10:19 PM
I know the feeling about writing and getting a massive amount of rejection letters. In fact I'm headed to a writer's conference in April that will be hosting 20 different agents in Dallas. From what I've learned from the agents and authors I know, that's one of the best resources a writer can have under their belt.

Lonewolf76
Oct 15, 2009, 5:57 PM
Way to go Ris, so you finished it- AWESOME!!!!! Howwwwwwwllllllll!!!! hang in there!

Wolfie

rissababynta
Oct 15, 2009, 6:41 PM
Way to go Ris, so you finished it- AWESOME!!!!! Howwwwwwwllllllll!!!! hang in there!

Wolfie

Ughhh...the howl! *melts* lol

And yes, I have finished it AND started on the second...