PDA

View Full Version : What About Bisexuals?

fredtyg
Sep 15, 2009, 12:46 PM
A rather frustrating Associated Press article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_STRAIGHT_SPOUSES?SITE=OKTUL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT) in the news today. It talks about straight couples supporting same sex marriage. What's frustrating to me is the black and white type references to gay and straight and no mention of bisexuality. Might recognizing bisexuality help some of these couples work their issues out? Maybe not all, but certainly some.

Focker
Sep 15, 2009, 1:01 PM
Probably not, since we are viewed as fence sitters by both str8 and gays. We are in a class of our own.

fredtyg
Sep 15, 2009, 1:13 PM
It just seems to me if some of those folks would realize that some people are sexually attracted to both sexes, maybe it wouldn't be a situation where they would have to pick one over the other. If it's a question of monogomy, as that one lady at the end of the article suggests (she didn't want her "gay" husband seeing other married gay men) maybe there's not much that can be done if she wants the guy all to herself sexually.

A number of people in this forum have commented on how they've come to an agreement of one sort or another with their spouse. I suppose some of the folks in the news article have done the same. I just wonder if realizing their spouse might be bi, rather than homo or lezzie, might make it easier to accommodate each other?

eddy10
Sep 15, 2009, 4:36 PM
I agree with the post. I think part of the problem is that the majority of the population does not even realize that most humans are, at least to a degree, bisexual. And, most of those folks do not realize that there is such a thing as a bisexual.

fredtyg
Sep 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
This article is not being biphobic as it is not about bisexuals or bisexuality at all, so why mention it?
The article just has nothing to do with bisexuals or bisexuals who are married.The article is only about closeted gay and Lesbians who marry spouses and live their life as a lie even though they always knew that they were gay or Lesbian. The article is not about bisexuals or mixed orientation marriages between heterosexuals and bisxeuals.

And you are an absolute nut case.

Doggiestyle
Sep 17, 2009, 1:15 AM
I cannot speak for others, all I can do is talk about my experiences which are. Most the straight folks usually think that even if you are somewhat gay or bisexual, they consider you to be completely gay. Either you are straight or gay, and really no in between. Now if you are in a gay establishment and you tell a strictly gay person that you are BI, especially so if you tell them that mostly straight and occasionally gay type of person. It's like you reached over to their switch and turned them off. I mean that the conversation is usually over with. The more turned off they become is related to how straight / gay you are. Now if you tell them that you are mostly gay and occasionally a straight, and have only strayed to the other side on a few occasions. That will be ok and understandable. If you tell a strictly gay person that you are mostly straight and occasionally gay, your conversation, with them, is over. Somehow I suspect that this is because the gay person is looking at you with the possibility of a relationship, and you telling them that you are mostly straight will kill that idea. If you run across someone in a gay establishment, and you tell them that you are mostly straight and they are willing to continue with you. It is usually because they are another bisexual or are horney as hell and looking for a one niter. Of course this is not always this way all the time, just most of the time. But like I said, how accepted you are in the strictly gay community is related to how gay you are.

This is the general way it is (for me) in the male on male area.
And this is the general way it is (for me) in the male on female area.

If she is straight and you tell her that you are bisexual, then to her you may as well be completely gay. She will say something like "if you are going to fuck with guys, you're not going to fuck with me". If she is still willing to associate with you, then it's probably because you are interesting and "a toy" to her. If she is strictly a lesbian and you tell her that you are a bisexual. Then it's like you reached over and just turned her switch off. How quick and how much she is turned off depends on how straight / gay you are. If you tell her that you are mostly gay and occasionally you drifted on the oppsite side, well thats ok, they understand. But if you tell her that you are mostly a straight. She will be not only be turned off, but will probably run away. If you tell her that you are a bisexual and she is willing to continue with you, it's probably because she is bisexual also. Again this not always the case, there are exceptions. This is the general rule that I have experienced and / or seen others experenced.

I guess that that's life in the big city,HUH?.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. Your friend, :doggie:

mrplayfuluk
Sep 20, 2009, 5:03 PM
Troll Alert: Berserker

Doggiestyle
Sep 21, 2009, 12:15 AM
:bigrin:

fuborks
Sep 21, 2009, 4:49 PM
People I find are happy with controversy & demonization where in fact is admitted an envy & lower esteem. Hets & gays, by docketing bi's in the pidgeon-hole category of *fence-sitting* fornicators, offset what they may view in themselves as incomprehensively defective. That is~ considering bisexuality as superiorily ambidextrous(?)

Consider: should it ever come to pass that bisexuality supersedes the fundamental social division of gender identity, how many things would change. *feminism* would dis-appear or at least require a masculine equivalent; conventional ideas about *beauty* & what is *masculine* or *feminine* would only be limited by biology rather than applied to social habits, mannerisms & moors.

fredtyg
Sep 22, 2009, 1:53 AM
Troll Alert: Berserker

Agreed. He's even sent me personal messages. I'm thinking it's a new name for some older troll?

queerunity
Sep 22, 2009, 5:23 PM
In my opinion failing to mention bisexuals is biphobic in the sense that it assumes that bisexuals fail to exist. The phobia in this sense is not necessarily a fear of bisexuals, but more a lack of acknowledgment as to the legitimacy and presence of bisexual identified people.