PDA

View Full Version : Oh for heaven's sake

Matthew547
Sep 12, 2009, 3:20 PM
Don't feed the troll thread, we've all been adequately warned of our schizophrenic pain in the ass. This thread will be ambushed by the troll as well. Don't feed this thread either. Just ignore the jackass. Feel free to delete this thread/post as you see fit.

Realist
Sep 12, 2009, 6:36 PM
Ah, the world needs them, Matthew! They make some of the rest of us seem almost normal!

Canticle
Sep 12, 2009, 9:47 PM
Don't feed the troll thread, we've all been adequately warned of our schizophrenic pain in the ass. This thread will be ambushed by the troll as well. Don't feed this thread either. Just ignore the jackass. Feel free to delete this thread/post as you see fit.

There is no ''troll'' thread. Is someone a troll because they answer posts, some mocking, some full of derision and are not afraid to do so.

''we've all been adequately warned of our schizophrenic pain in the ass.''

Are you a psychiatrist? Do you have experience in mental health issues. I'm a ''pain in the ass,'' because i can reply to people and because I am angry because I was unfairly banned. You won't be able to read the posts which were carefully worded and did not insult anyone, because they were erased. You can't really make a valued judgement when posts have been erased.

I am pleased to inform you that I do not suffer from any form of mental illness. Not even mild depression! To refer to someone as being schizophrenic is a deep insult and a rather nasty one. Happily, I have good friends and family, who know that I am quite sane and trust me as a friend.

Your thread has not been ambushed. You have merely been responded to.....in the reasonably calm language and easily understood language.

Canticle
Sep 12, 2009, 9:48 PM
Ah, the world needs them, Matthew! They make some of the rest of us seem almost normal!

I'll refer you to the above post. I am perfectly sane. I also have a life!!

Flounder1967
Sep 12, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'll refer you to the above post. I am perfectly sane. I also have a life!!

babble babble babble

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 12, 2009, 10:32 PM
Biting tongue for Matt's sake. :}:bigrin:
Hugs
Cat

Canticle
Sep 12, 2009, 10:39 PM
babble babble babble

How sad! I don't babble and I am not an idiot. I converse, about many subjects, with many people, intellectually, in a fun way and sometimes just the everyday small talk of making conversation. I don't gossip. I don't lie. I try to be polite. I try to be a good friend and am. I'm a decent human being. is there something wrong in being that?

Canticle
Sep 12, 2009, 10:45 PM
Biting tongue for Matt's sake. :}:bigrin:
Hugs
Cat

Nothing to bite your tongue for, Cat. No one, especially me, will reply in a rude manner, to you and why should they? I am all for polite conversation and be it erudite or mere chit chat, conversation can be both itellectually stimulating, or just lots jolly good fun.

Annika L
Sep 13, 2009, 12:54 AM
There is no ''troll'' thread. Is someone a troll because they answer posts, some mocking, some full of derision and are not afraid to do so.

To refer to someone as being schizophrenic is a deep insult and a rather nasty one.

I believe that a thread called "TROLL ALERT!!!!" can reasonably be called a "troll thread".

I also don't believe that thread was originally talking about you at all, BJ...unless you are also OurWayToFail and BadBoyBilly.

Finally, one of my best friends in the world is a diagnosed schizophrenic, and is a wonderful, creative, and productive person. I find the implication offensive that to be schizophrenic is bad or shameful, or that calling someone schizophrenic is a deep or nasty insult.

ohbimale
Sep 13, 2009, 1:01 AM
I do not understand why someone would want to keep coming back and posting to threads when they are not wanted.

Canticle
Sep 13, 2009, 5:01 AM
I believe that a thread called "TROLL ALERT!!!!" can reasonably be called a "troll thread".

I also don't believe that thread was originally talking about you at all, BJ...unless you are also OurWayToFail and BadBoyBilly.

Finally, one of my best friends in the world is a diagnosed schizophrenic, and is a wonderful, creative, and productive person. I find the implication offensive that to be schizophrenic is bad or shameful, or that calling someone schizophrenic is a deep or nasty insult.

I'll take your post, one paragraph at a time.

It's a pretty obvious statement to make, that a thread called ''TROLL ALERT'' can be called a ''troll'' thread. I don't believe in calling anyone a troll. I find that silly and somewhat immature a thing for adults to call one another...even if the word is in the ''urban'' dictionary.

I wish people would read things properly and not just what they want to read in the post of another person. I did not say that the ''TROLL ALERT'' thread was about me, but I do think it gave a couple of people the idea of calling me a troll ...for why..I don't know. I can only assume it was for all of my ''pointless and uninformative posts which add nothing to the decorum of the forum,'' which I had posted as feetfourwalking, in recent days. Yoy won't be able to make up your own mind, they have been erased. It's a good way to stop others reading what someone has written...very clever.

I am not OurWayToFall or BigBadBilly, or any other person who gets called a ''troll'' for whatever reason. I had answered posts by these people or person, treating them as just posts on a subject. I haven't seen anything rude posted by those names, but it may be that they/he/she did in threads I have not read.

The posts I saw by these names, I can see no reason why they should need to be erased...but then I don't believe in that type of censorship.

''I find the implication offensive that to be schizophrenic is bad or shameful, or that calling someone schizophrenic is a deep or nasty insult''

I would imagine that any intelligent person would know that most people with schizophrenia lead productive lives and are well medicated. There is no argument there. Why should there be?

When did I say that to be schizophrenic was a bad or shameful thing. You are putting words into my mouth that I did not ''utter''....and believe it or not. although there is nothing wrong with people being schizophrenic, I do think it is deeply insulting to call someone schizophrenic. For I am not and as I stated, I do not even suffer from mild depression.

For too long mental illness was never discussed and people were made to feel ashamed to be mentally ill. That was a terrible thing. However we are living in more enlightened times and mental illness is understood far better than it used to be.

It is still wrong to call someone schizophrenic in a post or face to face. that is as wrong as calling someone a''Spastic,'' or a ''Nigger,'' or a ''Honky''...or countless other insults which unfortunately, we can all forget are wrong and use in anger or frustration.

I am not schizophrenic and do not appreciate being called such. I made no insult. Address your issue in that concern, to the person who referred to me as one.

I hope you can now understand what I was meaning.

Canticle
Sep 13, 2009, 5:06 AM
I do not understand why someone would want to keep coming back and posting to threads when they are not wanted.

Excuse me, but here you are just repeating what someone else has said. i wish people would properly read what others say.

I came back, because I wanted to continue chatting to the people I have got to know. People I chat to in private and in public.

The point of coming back was not to ''keep coming back and posting on threads.'' The people I ofen chat to...in public and in private, have never had any problem with me, I somehow don't think you know the whole story and i am not going to type it out, all over again

12voltman59
Sep 13, 2009, 7:47 AM
As the person who started the thread "Troll Alert"---the reason I did so is because of the postings of some new "people" whose content and such very much fell into the pattern of a person who I have had a sort of running series of periodic battles with for the better part of my four, now going on five years on this site.

I won't go into all of the things that have happened between myself and the person I suspect is what I have long come to refer to as "the drive by troll."

It is one thing that this person had sort of come to have a fixation of sorts on me---that really didn't bug me per se--but he did at times make me pissed off--at various times calling me a racist, homo and bi-phobic of all things and he had other things he said to me that were designed to be hurtful--but the worst thing that this person did---he did it to me and to several other stalwarts on the site--under his various names--he would inundate our the email accounts linked to this one with his vittriol and hatred--and that was Ok for most of us too--since we knew this person is obviously "disturbed."

What really bugged me and was my main concern---he very ofen liked to target those people who had just come here--and not knowing we had such a disturbed person dogging this site---often--those new people would post on the boards some very revealing and intimate information on the site--hoping for some real answers--from this person--they would get some very nasty things said to them---especially if they had perhaps posted up photos of themselves and they were at all overweight--one of that "trolls" favorite things was to tell people who are overweight how ugly and unattractive they are----and for some people--no matter the source-that can be something very hurtful to hear, especially for someone who came here to this site in some other form of emotional pain over the fact they were dealing with issues regarding their own discovery of their "bisexuality" or of the "coming out" of a loved one.

I fear that this person did his best to try to run people off from here and in some cases ---was successful in doing so--that is why his periodic presence does get me fired up so much!!!

If I have some criticism of this site is that for a time--it seemed we had an absentee landlord of sorts that sorta let things go on this site----and didn't deal directly or forcefully enough with those cases of a troll or trolls doing that sort of thing--if this were my site--I can tell ya--I would have absolutely ZERO TOLERANCE for that sorta crap!!!

To Canticle or FourFeetWalking---you are not "the troll of which I speak" I can tell ya that--even though--it is obvious to anyone who pays attention--you sure do have your "issues" with things---but my posting the TROLL ALERT was not directed at you---I saw a pattern in the recent posts of a few "new people" that made me think--my long time old nemisis was BBBBBBAAAHHHCCCKKK!!!

I did do one thing--and maybe I should undo it--I recently did block the ability to receive messages, both those sent to my email linked to this site and the site's internal message system to those not on my "buddy list," so I no longer get the continued "nasty gram" emails from the long time troll---I knew they were the same person sending them---even though they came under literally dozens of different names---the messages often contained--verbatim--the same content----and the form was the same--all came from GMAil accounts--when I would send a reply to those accounts--they got bounced back because the person didn't have the guts to allow those accounts to get reply mail-at least from me-----so-I did get tired of that shit--and put the block on getting emails from people on here!!!!!

I do wonder if I take the block off--will that person start to send me those "nasty grams" again??

So---this is why I posted up the TROLL ALERT---I figured that this person was back again trying to dog this site once again---my interest in doing so is to try to protect this site the best I can--as a mere member of this site--but I can tell ya--if I owned this site--such attacks would stop---I would take any and all steps necessary to prevent this sort of crazy crap from going on!!

Canticle
Sep 13, 2009, 7:00 PM
''As the person who started the thread "Troll Alert"---the reason I did so is because of the postings of some new "people" whose content and such very much fell into the pattern of a person who I have had a sort of running series of periodic battles with for the better part of my four, now going on five years on this site.

I won't go into all of the things that have happened between myself and the person I suspect is what I have long come to refer to as "the drive by troll."

It is one thing that this person had sort of come to have a fixation of sorts on me---that really didn't bug me per se--but he did at times make me pissed off--at various times calling me a racist, homo and bi-phobic of all things and he had other things he said to me that were designed to be hurtful--but the worst thing that this person did---he did it to me and to several other stalwarts on the site--under his various names--he would inundate our the email accounts linked to this one with his vittriol and hatred--and that was Ok for most of us too--since we knew this person is obviously "disturbed."''

I would agree with you wholeheartedly Volty, that, of late and within the last couple of months, there has been someone who has appeared to have a fenzy of activity, creating threads, posting rather strange, insulting things on other threads and also sending private messages to people. If we are thinking of the same person, then I would agree, that this behaviour was both annoying and some of the things said, hurtful.

It depends on whether we are thinking of the same character, who during this frenzy of activity, created a number of profiles, to be used at the same time, even answering another profile of that creation. I saw this as rather hyperactive behaviour. In some posts the person would be rude, in others almost a knight in shining armour, character.

The private message I received, I merely ignored. It was not rude, but had it been, I should still have ignored it. I don't have the email facility active and I do not have an Instant Message address on display. If I wanted to email someone, or allow them to email me, then I would give them an email address in pm.

Other so called ''trolls'' of recent weeks, I do not see the same style of posting, though I am not saying that they/he/she are not the same person or even persons. To me the posts seemed to be those of a more mature adult. I have not read any rude posts by these so called 'trolls,' only views strongly expressed and as I have said before, if the post is a reasonable one, making a point, then if I feel that I have a reply or comment, I will make one. I am not thinking, ''Oh, these must all be from the same person.''

I do not think it matters who a person, such as you have mentioned, contacts in rude pms, be it stalwarts (I wonder just what a stalwart is and exactly how them receiving rude pms etc differs from anyone else getting them sent to them), who post every day, or someone, who may only ever make one post, yet receives a rude pm, makes no difference. None whatsoever.

''What really bugged me and was my main concern---he very ofen liked to target those people who had just come here--and not knowing we had such a disturbed person dogging this site---often--those new people would post on the boards some very revealing and intimate information on the site--hoping for some real answers--from this person--they would get some very nasty things said to them---especially if they had perhaps posted up photos of themselves and they were at all overweight--one of that "trolls" favorite things was to tell people who are overweight how ugly and unattractive they are----and for some people--no matter the source-that can be something very hurtful to hear, especially for someone who came here to this site in some other form of emotional pain over the fact they were dealing with issues regarding their own discovery of their "bisexuality" or of the "coming out" of a loved one.''

Again, I agree with you. I had noticed this behaviour. However, there are disturbed and/or nasty people to be found on every website and so no one can be wrapped up in cotton wool. Perhaps some people do end up sharing, in their confusion and other forms of emotional turmoil, too much information, but unfortunately it would be very difficult to warn people off, from doing this, before they register as a member. In fact, those needing to ask questions and seek some form of friendly response, could well be put off from joining the site.

The site is for those aged over 18 and it has to be assumed that the majority joining this site, or any other adult site, will understand that the way human nature works, makes it obvious that good, kind, not so good, nasty, annoying, even down right evil people can penetrate any site.

I think that acknowledging the existence of any potential ''trolls''...by even calling them ''trolls'' just gives the person/persons, exactly what they want. I ignored the private message I received and I didn't receive another! Now, I probably will. If I do, it will just be ignored. I don't think people can be protected from the person you speak of. They just have to find out for themselves.

''I fear that this person did his best to try to run people off from here and in some cases ---was successful in doing so--that is why his periodic presence does get me fired up so much!!!''

If the person of whom you speak, is who I think it is, then if he/she gets you ''fired up,'' their mission has been successful. I think, that in most cases, those that may have been put off by the person you mention, will, given time, return to the site, if they still think that they will find the help they need. There are some very good people here, with many wise words to say. People who may sometimes be only encountered in chat and not the regular forum contributors. I know that I have conversed with many.

''If I have some criticism of this site is that for a time--it seemed we had an absentee landlord of sorts that sorta let things go on this site----and didn't deal directly or forcefully enough with those cases of a troll or trolls doing that sort of thing--if this were my site--I can tell ya--I would have absolutely ZERO TOLERANCE for that sorta crap!!!''

I agree and disagree here. There are some people who I believe manage to get things done, far more quickly than others, when the powers that be are contacted. To just ban people willy nilly, because someone doesn't like this or that, is wrong. To have the powers that be talk to you for a few sentences, obviously not interested in ones reply and then have the powers that be just disappear from the short conversation, and then ban the person, without any really good reason, is unfair and also rude. To not reply to emails, does not give a good impression. Yet there are many, who I would consider as rude and insulting, who continue to be allowed to stay and yet, a stray poster, who may say something fairly opinionated and strongly worded, yet, not necessarily rude, is banned and erased. I don't think that gives out good vibes, to would be members. Also, I talk to many people in chat, who don't even know who owns the site!

Saying you would have zero tolerance for the crap, is all very well, but who decides what is crap and what is fair? That is something to think about.

''To Canticle or FourFeetWalking---you are not "the troll of which I speak" I can tell ya that--even though--it is obvious to anyone who pays attention--you sure do have your "issues" with things---but my posting the TROLL ALERT was not directed at you---I saw a pattern in the recent posts of a few "new people" that made me think--my long time old nemisis was BBBBBBAAAHHHCCCKKK!!!''

No, I am most certainly not that person of whom you speak....because I am no ''troll.'' I can also tell you that I do not have issues! People with issues, are those, like the person you speak of, creating name after name...to be used at the same time and sometimes alongside one another, or creating rather illustious sounding names, to again, use at will and yet, still be so obviously the same person.

I have not had multiple names, at the same time. I have only registered another name, so that I could continue to chat to the people I have got to know, or discover new people. I have resurrected a couple of names I once registered as, because BrotherJack was a big mistake and I was forever explaining why I had a male name. Yes, I was using Notredame and feetfourwalking, at the same time, but I have never hidden who I am. I don't need to, as I am no liar and no troll....not that I believe in putting people into categories.

The nemesis has greater power, when acknowledged as such. On another site I visit, one lady has a wonderful way of dealing with those who are rude in the chat room. She is polite to them all, sometimes merrily says goodbye, as she puts them on ignore and carries on chatting. She ignores any vulgarity aimed at her and only got angry the other night, when someone tried to use her name to start insulting people. I wish I had that patience

''I did do one thing--and maybe I should undo it--I recently did block the ability to receive messages, both those sent to my email linked to this site and the site's internal message system to those not on my "buddy list," so I no longer get the continued "nasty gram" emails from the long time troll---I knew they were the same person sending them---even though they came under literally dozens of different names---the messages often contained--verbatim--the same content----and the form was the same--all came from GMAil accounts--when I would send a reply to those accounts--they got bounced back because the person didn't have the guts to allow those accounts to get reply mail-at least from me-----so-I did get tired of that shit--and put the block on getting emails from people on here!!!!!''

I think this is a very wise thing to do. There is nothing wrong in being selective. If someone wants to private message you, they can always ask in chat. Nothing wrong...not in anyway, in restricting who can email one etc.

''I do wonder if I take the block off--will that person start to send me those "nasty grams" again??''

And what if that person does do that again...in email or private message. I see no problem...Email?...Spam or block....Private Messges?...Block the person.

''So---this is why I posted up the TROLL ALERT---I figured that this person was back again trying to dog this site once again---my interest in doing so is to try to protect this site the best I can--as a mere member of this site--but I can tell ya--if I owned this site--such attacks would stop---I would take any and all steps necessary to prevent this sort of crazy crap from going on!!''

Sorry Volty...have to disagree. I think a thread titled (and in upper case letters), TROLL ALERT, just gave the person of whom you were speaking, more invisible power. Surely the site, is the members and the members are adults. They have to be deemed intelligent enough to come to their own conclusions.

I doubt that such attacks, as you call them, would stop. If the person of whom you speak was discouraged and finally got bored and gave up their antics, some time, someone else would come along, to do exactly the same thing. It's not crazy crap. Just a person thinking that if they are rude...insult people for their looks, weight, likes, dislikes, beliefs...whatever....they will cause a reaction. The reaction is what they want. Unfortunately, for all of us, it is far more easy to get riled up and react, than just say, ''Thank you for your compliment. Have a nice day.'' It's a bit like turning the other cheek! Nothing confounds one's enemy more, than if one tells them that one 'loves' them, or you reply to their baiting, by posting as if what they had said was totally the opposite, or just ignore.

_Joe_
Sep 13, 2009, 8:20 PM
Is there a contest to see who can type the longest post here, because the bigger it gets, the less motivated I am to be interested. Its like the totally opposite of a penis.

SWCube
Sep 13, 2009, 8:57 PM
Is there a contest to see who can type the longest post here, because the bigger it gets, the less motivated I am to be interested. Its like the totally opposite of a penis.

LMAO! Exactly what I've been thinking, but put much better. Thanks!

Canticle
Sep 13, 2009, 9:52 PM
Oh, Joe and SwCube....sorry to disappoint you, but I am by nature, a person who writes. Think yourself lucky that you have never received a letter from me....they get very, very long. Personally, I am more motivated to read something wordy, than something not......unless it is one of your witticisms, Joe, for you are a very funny man.

Golly gosh.....this was rather short...shall I add a word or two more............

_Joe_
Sep 13, 2009, 10:23 PM
Some people take this forum (and maybe others) too seriously. If this is the most focus you have during the day, it's time to freshen up the resume and find something else in life to devote all that bundled up energy to.

Canticle
Sep 13, 2009, 10:47 PM
Some people take this forum (and maybe others) too seriously. If this is the most focus you have during the day, it's time to freshen up the resume and find something else in life to devote all that bundled up energy to.

Oh, Joe, perish the thought that this place, or anywhere else on line, should be my life or my focus. I have a life and responsibilities and energy that goes into using my brain elsewhere. I'm mostly on line during the very late night and early hours of the morning. Not a lot one can do at 3.38am, in a village, deep in the English countryside. Well, not that deep, the local town is 2 miles away and we do have a bus every half hour. No need to freshen up this person's resume....but I am a serious person and I do take things seriously, when I feel the need. I can also laugh loud and long....especially at your stories. I must admit...that if I check my mail during the day..at different times on different occasions, and have dipped into this site or any other, to see if, there was anyone I know, around, and pass a few minutes, while I drink my coffee, I do see the same people here and in other chat rooms on sites. I can think of a few people, from different sites who need to freshen up their resume.

bret5668
Sep 13, 2009, 11:38 PM
Good Cripes!!!!!! enough already, this is beyond ridiculous... Iggy is our friend.

Annika L
Sep 13, 2009, 11:45 PM
I'll take your post, one paragraph at a time.

It's a pretty obvious statement to make, that a thread called ''TROLL ALERT'' can be called a ''troll'' thread.

I wish people would read things properly and not just what they want to read in the post of another person. I did not say that the ''TROLL ALERT'' thread was about me, ....

When did I say that to be schizophrenic was a bad or shameful thing. You are putting words into my mouth that I did not ''utter''....and believe it or not. although there is nothing wrong with people being schizophrenic, I do think it is deeply insulting to call someone schizophrenic. For I am not and as I stated, I do not even suffer from mild depression.

It is still wrong to call someone schizophrenic in a post or face to face. that is as wrong as calling someone a''Spastic,'' or a ''Nigger,'' or a ''Honky''...or countless other insults which unfortunately, we can all forget are wrong and use in anger or frustration.

I am not schizophrenic and do not appreciate being called such. I made no insult.

I hope you can now understand what I was meaning.

I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding: I never took issue with what you were meaning; my complaint was with what you were *saying*.

You said, "There is no 'troll' thread." I expressed that I believe there is. I thought my statement was rather obvious too, and I was somewhat embarrassed for you that I had to say it.

The OP said, "...we've all been adequately warned of our schizophrenic pain in the ass [in the TROLL ALERT!!!! thread]." In response, you said, "I'm a 'pain in the ass,' because i can reply to people and because I am angry because I was unfairly banned. "

Silly me for thinking you thought the OP was about you. I'm sure most readers understood what you meant, and I was just being dim here.

Finally, you said, "To refer to someone as being schizophrenic is a deep insult and a rather nasty one."

A word can only be an insult if (a) the concept it refers to is insulting (e.g., "dummy") or (b) it is a particularly nasty word for the concept referred to. Given that "schizophrenic" is a technical medical term rather than a slur (how you manage to equate the value judgment of "nigger" with that of "schizophrenic" is far beyond me), I assumed your objection was not of the nature of (b). Hence, I inferred that you must find the notion of being a schizophrenic insulting...i.e., that being schizophrenic is somehow a bad or shameful thing.

And of course, since you so clearly understand that the "troll thread" wasn't about you, then you surely must understand that neither did the OP call you schizophrenic, as you allude to repeatedly in your post above.

In my post, I actually made three statements about myself and my beliefs. In response, I get rather defensive rambling that shows little regard for what I wrote or for what the OP actually wrote.

So which of us doesn't read things properly? But only what they want to read?

roy m cox
Sep 14, 2009, 4:27 AM

LOL good one joe

diB4u
Sep 14, 2009, 9:06 AM
Theres only one thing I could possible say and this is it.

DDDuuuuudddddeeeeeeessss !!!!!

:bigrin:

Canticle
Sep 15, 2009, 12:20 AM
I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding: I never took issue with what you were meaning; my complaint was with what you were *saying*.

You said, "There is no 'troll' thread." I expressed that I believe there is. I thought my statement was rather obvious too, and I was somewhat embarrassed for you that I had to say it.

The OP said, "...we've all been adequately warned of our schizophrenic pain in the ass [in the TROLL ALERT!!!! thread]." In response, you said, "I'm a 'pain in the ass,' because i can reply to people and because I am angry because I was unfairly banned. "

Silly me for thinking you thought the OP was about you. I'm sure most readers understood what you meant, and I was just being dim here.

Finally, you said, "To refer to someone as being schizophrenic is a deep insult and a rather nasty one."

A word can only be an insult if (a) the concept it refers to is insulting (e.g., "dummy") or (b) it is a particularly nasty word for the concept referred to. Given that "schizophrenic" is a technical medical term rather than a slur (how you manage to equate the value judgment of "nigger" with that of "schizophrenic" is far beyond me), I assumed your objection was not of the nature of (b). Hence, I inferred that you must find the notion of being a schizophrenic insulting...i.e., that being schizophrenic is somehow a bad or shameful thing.

And of course, since you so clearly understand that the "troll thread" wasn't about you, then you surely must understand that neither did the OP call you schizophrenic, as you allude to repeatedly in your post above.

In my post, I actually made three statements about myself and my beliefs. In response, I get rather defensive rambling that shows little regard for what I wrote or for what the OP actually wrote.

So which of us doesn't read things properly? But only what they want to read?

'''Don't feed the troll thread, we've all been adequately warned of our schizophrenic pain in the ass. This thread will be ambushed by the troll as well. Don't feed this thread either. Just ignore the jackass. Feel free to delete this thread/post as you see fit.'''

Annika....I think it is fairly obvious to whom the OP was referring in the post above.

'''There is no ''troll'' thread. Is someone a troll because they answer posts, some mocking, some full of derision and are not afraid to do so.'''

I think that this is where we perhaps some misunderstanding. I do not believe that I was referring to Volty's ''TROLL ALERT'' thread, but other threads on which I may have posted.

''A word can only be an insult if (a) the concept it refers to is insulting
(e.g., "dummy") or (b) it is a particularly nasty word for the concept referred to. Given that "schizophrenic" is a technical medical term rather than a slur (how you manage to equate the value judgment of "nigger" with that of "schizophrenic" is far beyond me), I assumed your objection was not of the nature of (b). Hence, I inferred that you must find the notion of being a schizophrenic insulting...i.e., that being schizophrenic is somehow a bad or shameful thing.''

I beg to differ. I am fully aware that the word ''schizophrenic.'' is a medical term. However, I believe that the OP was referring to me, in that first post, so I believe that referring to a person as '' our schizophrenic pain in the ass,'' is an insult. I gave only a very few examples of words that can be used as insults....''Nigger,'' being one of them. If the OP was refering to me, then I think the words chosen, though not insulting words, on their own, were used as an insult.

I have epilepsy and the one thing the majority of epileptics hate being referred to as, is ''an epileptic.'' We don't mind being told we ''are epileptic,'' as this is the nature of our neurologcal condition and any seizures we may suffer. However, we are not epileptics. We are people with epilepsy. Replace the word ''schizophenic,'' with ''epileptic'' and read the sentence and you may understand why I consider the words used, insulting. I would not refer to someone as ''our schizophrenic pain in the ass''.....''our epileptic pain in the ass''....Now maybe use see what I mean.

I think I understood the post, perfectly well.

Canticle
Sep 15, 2009, 12:23 AM
Good Cripes!!!!!! enough already, this is beyond ridiculous... Iggy is our friend.

Discussion and debate is never ridiculous, but to merely ignore what we do not like, makes us miss out on the bigger picture.

_Joe_
Sep 15, 2009, 7:35 AM
If you ignore the attention seeking dork in class, they often lose interest and go find someone else to annoy though. And that's a nicer big picture enjoyed by many! Unless you like having an annoyance, in that case I offer you papercuts on your knuckles. Those are totally a pain.

BLCHGK777
Dec 13, 2009, 1:43 AM
WTH I may have just joined but after reading all these threads I know annoying users when I see them and right now Canticle you are being VERY annoying if you don't like people getting annoyed by you why do you continually pester them and reply with words and sayings they consider "troll language" now I am not calling you a troll but I am saying that your constant bicker on here that involves messages a page long is getting quite bothersome!

tallone62
Dec 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
This whole thing is killing my boner!

rissababynta
Dec 13, 2009, 2:27 PM
Umm, why was this thread resurrected suddenly? lol.

And wasn't I the one who started Troll Alert? I'm too lazy right now to go back into my profile and check out all the things I've started...

Edit: I just decided to go check and NO I did not start it lmfao.

Canticle
Dec 13, 2009, 4:18 PM
WTH I may have just joined but after reading all these threads I know annoying users when I see them and right now Canticle you are being VERY annoying if you don't like people getting annoyed by you why do you continually pester them and reply with words and sayings they consider "troll language" now I am not calling you a troll but I am saying that your constant bicker on here that involves messages a page long is getting quite bothersome!

Oh, to be 19 again! A wonderful age. Be interested to know how one can pester others, by merely stating what one thinks and believes? I am me and express myself the way I do, for that particular reason. i didn't know that there was a particular way of posting, or a book with official words and phrases, for forum postings. If giving an answer, is bickering...so be it and the same for airing a view. If you find my posts too long (and I don't that often, these days), then don't read them! It really wouldn't do for you to receive a handwritten letter from me. They can be over 50 pages long. I write...I express myself...if you find my wordiness a problem.....that is not my concern.

And...'''wonders what troll laguage is?'''

Canticle
Dec 13, 2009, 4:21 PM
Umm, why was this thread resurrected suddenly? lol.

And wasn't I the one who started Troll Alert? I'm too lazy right now to go back into my profile and check out all the things I've started...

Edit: I just decided to go check and NO I did not start it lmfao.

Gee, Rissa....I was wondering the same thing! :rolleyes: LOL!! Nice to see you again. :bigrin:

Flounder1967
Dec 13, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'll qutoe a famous Great Thinker.

"Babble, babble, Babble"

Canticle
Dec 14, 2009, 1:01 AM
I'll qutoe a famous Great Thinker.

"Babble, babble, Babble"

gee...I gonna keep on ''babbling''.....the good Lord made me that way...and for a reason...to express my beliefs...my hopes and dreams...my ideas...my love....and to agree and disagree etc etc etc

Canticle
Dec 14, 2009, 8:11 PM
Angry people typically seek intimacy in fighting.

When a personal issue is unresolved, we easily fall into arguments regarding that subject.

After years of arguing, it seems several personal issues should be resolved by now.

When we argue frequently simply because we are angry people... it marks a pathology.

To try to constantly change/manipulate other people shows how little respect we are capable of showing other people. A severe lack of self restraint/self dicipline, including not tantrumming (intellectual tantrumming included), usually indicates a very strong self hatred/loathing... and goes something like this:
I hate myself so much but my childlike ego can't stand it. So I will focus and attack others for their 'weaknesses'.
Of course, those of us who understand personal growth know that this attitude/behavior, while adopted by all people at some time in life (virtually everyone at 2 years old, and most folks in early teen years), is contrary to personal growth, indeed most of us know of (usually, but not always) men who's personal growth was stalled completely for decades due to the 'little man complex' or otherwise known as false pride or ego.
Assuming the latest troll is the one haunting this board for the past several years, I'd advise seeing a therapist. Hell, aren't you tired of the same bad feelings all these years? Don't you want to drink deep in love and life? You can't while you still have this stuff. These issues will screw up everything of meaning in your life. This particular problem/pathology can waste most, if not all of your lifetime. Aren't you tired of it holding you back?
You can scavenge dumpsters for half eaten McDonalds (continue as you have), Or eat steak (take some risk, grow, and rise to a higher level).
Good luck.

Gee, well I am so thankful that none of this conjecture refers to me. Who is the latest ''troll.''? Easy to call someone a troll, if we don't like what they say. If I don't like what someone says, really don't like, I just ignore it. There are those who have been called trolls, by others, who, to me, have made a valid point and then again, sometimes not. As far as I'm concerned, ''trolls'' do not exist, for even the most regular ''posters'' can be annoying...but never would I point at them and shout ''Troll.''

Darkside2009
Dec 14, 2009, 9:09 PM
My eyes are glazing over and I'm losing the will to live. I can hear my arteries harden as we speak but before I go.

A schitzophrenic is a person with schitzophrenia, an epilectic is a person with epilepsy, a leper is a person with leprosy, and despite the political correctness, a person with verbal diarrhoea should really take something for it...such as the door over there marked exit.

I've been to graveside orations that were more fun than this. It is time to put a nail in this particular coffin and bury it before we all get bored to death.

Canticle
Dec 14, 2009, 9:36 PM
My eyes are glazing over and I'm losing the will to live. I can hear my arteries harden as we speak but before I go.

A schitzophrenic is a person with schitzophrenia, an epilectic is a person with epilepsy, a leper is a person with leprosy, and despite the political correctness, a person with verbal diarrhoea should really take something for it...such as the door over there marked exit.

I've been to graveside orations that were more fun than this. It is time to put a nail in this particular coffin and bury it before we all get bored to death.

Thankfully, I don't have a problem with my digestion. You are wrong. A person who has epileptic seizures has epilepsy, but is not ''an epileptic''.....If people call me that real time, I (and others with epilepsy), get offended. I don't believe in ''political correctness,'' however, accuracy is nice. Don't let your eyes glaze over, keep the will to live..for life is sacred. Why should I exit, merely because I express myself in a certain manner? Am I not supposed to?

I didn't resurrect the thread. A young lady of 19, who has just joined the site, did so.

I get the feeling that if someone else said what I say, in my manner, it would somehow be OK.

hudson9
Dec 14, 2009, 10:53 PM
Not schizophrenic... obsessive-compulsive.

paukenplayer
Dec 14, 2009, 11:03 PM
Threads like this are the main reason I simply skim through the posts and only really read the one's that interest me - while rarely ever posting anything.

This really is getting tedious.

I'm even wondering how I let myself get drawn into this pointless thread much less allow myself to get bothered enough to post this.

I'm sure Canticle will have something long, boring and derisive toward me for even posting this.

I seem to remember a time, perhaps a couple of years ago....when discussion boards were for the most part much more civil. Lately I seem to be reading less and posting even less on boards that I follow. The level of hostility, rudeness, "troll" behavior and general incivility has dramatically increased over the years.

sad.......

rissababynta
Dec 15, 2009, 12:23 AM
Gee, well I am so thankful that none of this conjecture refers to me. Who is the latest ''troll.''? Easy to call someone a troll, if we don't like what they say. If I don't like what someone says, really don't like, I just ignore it. There are those who have been called trolls, by others, who, to me, have made a valid point and then again, sometimes not. As far as I'm concerned, ''trolls'' do not exist, for even the most regular ''posters'' can be annoying...but never would I point at them and shout ''Troll.''

The people who those call trolls are much more than people who just say something rude or annoying. It's more than just that someone doesn't like what they have to say.

Canticle
Dec 15, 2009, 1:19 AM
The people who those call trolls are much more than people who just say something rude or annoying. It's more than just that someone doesn't like what they have to say.

Not gonna argue with you Rissa...you're a nice person and I don't work that way. I'm gonna have to agree to disagree with you. Now, if you are referring to the jerks that send insulting emails or messages to people...that's a different matter altogether...but I still would not call them trolls....just nasty people.

And that is the last thing I have to say on this matter. I don't post here much anymore, but if I do and the post seems a little boring to some...or too long (and I am not referring to you Rissa), well...that is me...and I ain't ever gonna change the way I express myself.

Annika L
Dec 15, 2009, 1:24 AM
Not schizophrenic... obsessive-compulsive.

...with a persecution complex...

rissababynta
Dec 15, 2009, 2:15 AM
Not gonna argue with you Rissa...you're a nice person and I don't work that way. I'm gonna have to agree to disagree with you. Now, if you are referring to the jerks that send insulting emails or messages to people...that's a different matter altogether...but I still would not call them trolls....just nasty people.

And that is the last thing I have to say on this matter. I don't post here much anymore, but if I do and the post seems a little boring to some...or too long (and I am not referring to you Rissa), well...that is me...and I ain't ever gonna change the way I express myself.

Well, a lot of people use the term troll as a way to refer to someone as being a nasty person, so I guess we are sort of on the same page here afterall, right?

And yes I did note that you said this was the last thing you had to say so if you don't respond I take no offense haha.

mrplayfuluk
Dec 15, 2009, 6:21 AM
Well I've been so focused on watching for the 'drive by' Troll that I completely missed the latest flurry. Azrael (and all his other names) is gone for now as I finally figured him out - He actually runs a site encouraging Troll attacks and posted methods to attack our site. Pointing this out to him and informing the stalwarts (the guardians of the site), shut him down. Since then I thought it had been quiet. My troll detector didn't go off with Canticle.

The problem is that we have possibly become oversensitive to trolls (and yes they do exist) and occasionally someone with an acerbic way of responding can be looked at as a troll if they are unfamiliar to the regular members. I personally think that everyone should have a profile of some kind like many sites like dating sites, request. Then perhaps people can't slip in with multiple names to cause problems. It would appear that Canticle, by setting up multiple names and being similarly contentious with each one set a pattern of behaviour that Volty spotted as a pattern that is consistent with troll behaviour. So a lesson is learnt all round and time to put this thread to bed.

Merry Christmas all and a Troll free New Year!!

mrplayfuluk
Dec 15, 2009, 6:24 AM
Well I've been so focused on watching for the 'drive by' Troll that I completely missed the latest flurry. Azrael (and all his other names) is gone for now as I finally figured him out - He actually runs a site encouraging Troll attacks and posted methods to attack our site. Pointing this out to him and informing the stalwarts (the guardians of the site), shut him down. Since then I thought it had been quiet. My troll detector didn't go off with Canticle.

The problem is that we have possibly become oversensitive to trolls (and yes they do exist) and occasionally someone with a more acerbic way of responding can be looked at as a troll if they are unfamiliar to the regular members. I personally think that everyone should have a profile of some kind like dating sites, require. Then perhaps people can't slip in with multiple names to cause problems. It would appear that Canticle, by setting up multiple names and being similarly contentious with each one set a pattern of behaviour that Volty spotted as a pattern that is consistent with troll behaviour. So a lesson is learnt all round and time to put this thread to bed.

Canticle
Dec 15, 2009, 6:54 PM

The problem is that we have possibly become oversensitive to trolls (and yes they do exist) and occasionally someone with a more acerbic way of responding can be looked at as a troll if they are unfamiliar to the regular members. I personally think that everyone should have a profile of some kind like dating sites, require. Then perhaps people can't slip in with multiple names to cause problems. It would appear that Canticle, by setting up multiple names and being similarly contentious with each one set a pattern of behaviour that Volty spotted as a pattern that is consistent with troll behaviour. So a lesson is learnt all round and time to put this thread to bed.

Mr Playful UK, but I am NOT a Troll. I have not set up multiple names. I was banned, I believe, unfairly, and to be able to come and talk to people I like, and who have been of great help to me, during the past two years, I have had to create another name. I've explained this before. Perhaps you didn't read those posts.

Whatever name anyone has, are they not going to have the same personality? You call me ''contentious''...Am I supposed to not air a view? I have never insulted anyone...never! I may have taken certain persons to task, at times, but guess what...I like truth...not lies....goodness not badness...being kind...not cruel.

Your ''troll detector'' did not go off with me, because I am NOT a troll!! I am a person with views, who airs them. I live in the real world and have to deal with the same problems, we all deal with. It's absolutely laughable for you to talk about your ''troll detector'' not going off. I am a frequent visitor to the chat room and have got to know and like many of the people there. I come here to chat to those people, but if there is a subject, in the forum. which I feel I want to comment on, I do so.....just like other people do. However, I have to put forward what I think and feel and want to say, not what maybe you and others would prefer me to say. I have to be true to myself, in that respect. If I wasn't then those that know me, would have no respect for me.

My profile says all you need to know about me. I'm female and English. I don't know if it says my age, but if you are really that bothered, I'm 55! I don't lie...I have no need to and if I am chatting with people, am always as open as I need to be.

This site is relatively safe for people...whatever their sexuality. You can't have more than one name per email address. I know of a site where an email address can be used to create as many ''nicknames'' as you want and where there is no way of keeping a minor from the adult rooms.

If someone..whoever they may have been here, is running a site for trolls....that is just sick and sad and pointless. What a way to spend your time. I go to another chat site where there are similar people. They will even find out which other sites a person visits and lift their info from there to post in the chat room. I know from experience.

DON'T call me a ''troll'' when you don't know me, have never chatted to me...don't...just because you may not like what I say. I wouldn't do that to you....to anyone. It might be nice, if someone I do chat to, actually said a good word for me. I've done that for other people.

I have one name here..Canticle...I know of someone who has at least seven...but I guess you'd think that was different, somehow.

Sorry if my diatribe is once again..wordy....but I'm me...unique..as we all are...and I express myself in my way.

rissababynta
Dec 15, 2009, 9:09 PM
Umm, I think he was pretty much overall saying that he wouldn't call you a troll...

Annika L
Dec 15, 2009, 11:48 PM
Oh, for heaven's sake! :tong:

mrplayfuluk
Dec 16, 2009, 12:44 PM
Umm, I think he was pretty much overall saying that he wouldn't call you a troll...

thanks Rissa, I was beginning to think I had worded it wrong!

Canticle, darling its cool, I'm down with you just drink camomile tea rather than ristrettos when reading the forum and you might find people are fine with you....

Now can we close the door on this forum thread. Last one out, switch off the light please :-)