PDA

View Full Version : Brokeback groceries

mrplayfuluk
Feb 20, 2006, 3:27 PM
This joke has been doing the rounds on email lately and while I chuckled to begin with, I came to the conclusion that it was simply based on absurd stereotypes and I then got irritated with how some straight friends view the film. Am I being too 'pc'? how would you react if you received it?

Brokeback Mountain Weekly Grocery Lists

WEEK ONE

Beans
Bacon
Coffee
Whisky

WEEK TWO

Beans
Ham
Coffee
Whisky

WEEK THREE

Beans al fresca
Thin-sliced Bacon
Hazelnut Coffee
Absolut vodka & Tanqueray gin
K-Y gel

WEEK FOUR

Beans en salade
Pancetta
Coffee (espresso grind)
5-6 bottles best
Sauvignon
2 tubes K-Y gel

WEEK FIVE

Fresh haricot beans
Jasmine rice
Prosciutto, approx. 8 ounces, thinly sliced
Medallions of veal
Porcini mushrooms
1/2 pint of thick whipping cream
1 Cub Scout uniform, size 42 long
5-6 bottles Bordeaux (Estate Reserve)
1 extra large bottle Astro-glide

WEEK SIX

Pink Fir Apple potatoes
Thick whipping cream
Asparagus (very thin)
Organic Eggs
Spanish Lemons
Gruyere cheese (well aged)
Crushed Walnuts
Rocket
Clarified Butter
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Pure Balsamic vinegar
6 yards white silk organdie
6 yards pale ivory taffeta
3 Cases of Dom Perignon Masters Reserve
Large tin Crisco

searchingbrian
Feb 20, 2006, 3:43 PM
Personally, I don't really find it "funny" but am not particularly offended by it either. For me, it is a wash and I wouldn't even pay attention to it..

red_riding_hood_27
Feb 20, 2006, 3:53 PM
I think It is funny then again I am Str8

It is like gender jokes. blonde jokes and dumb polish jokes. It is just a joke!!

Angela

meteast chick
Feb 20, 2006, 3:57 PM
I really don't find it humorous at all, especially the bit about the Cub Scout uniform.

bhg08054
Feb 20, 2006, 4:05 PM
This joke has been doing the rounds on email lately and while I chuckled to begin with, I came to the conclusion that it was simply based on absurd stereotypes and I then got irritated with how some straight friends view the film. Am I being too 'pc'? how would you react if you received it?

I find this about as funny as I imagine a black person finds jokes about fried chicken and watermelon.

Michael623
Feb 20, 2006, 4:13 PM
Well, as long as all the heterosexuals feel better about themselves isn't that what's important. Those wonderful accepting heterosexuals excluded, lol.

arana
Feb 20, 2006, 4:21 PM
Well this is just silly, everyone knows a real cowboy would crush his own walnuts not purchase them.

WillowTree
Feb 20, 2006, 4:24 PM
Well this is just silly, everyone knows a real cowboy would crush his own walnuts not purchase them.

Now I find that funny. :tong:

searchingbrian
Feb 20, 2006, 4:30 PM

Are you sure you mean his own? or someone elses??!!

likalotapuss
Feb 20, 2006, 5:14 PM
Well... for me to get offended by this.... would mean that I would have to be offended by all the silly blonde jokes, or jokes about people that are vertically challenged... just no time for it. It is a joke, and only that. :2cents:

SourGreenAppleBeauty
Feb 20, 2006, 5:44 PM
:eek: That "joke" is horrendous. I'm not perticularly found of "jokes" that put down other members of soicity...so to put it shortly it pisses me off. I have a lot of pride, alot and that's just demeaning. Who are we to say what is right or wrong??? I'm bisexual and I have a strong sense of pride in my lesiban side as well as my straight side and I think that's just awful! How would all of you straight people feel if the BLGT community made cracks about your sex lives?? :bibounce: :banghead:

Qetesh
Feb 20, 2006, 5:48 PM
I'm str8 anyone wants to make jokes about str8 women, go ahead I'll laugh at anything :bigrin: especially myself (I have to at times :rolleyes: )... a jokes a joke - they arent intended to be taken seriously!

:)
Q xx

chook
Feb 20, 2006, 5:55 PM
I dont know maybe its the Aussie in me because we as a nation can laugh at ourselves..................But come on people where's your sense of humour after all its only a stupid shopping list and really its not having a go at anyone. I'm proud too as you all say but one thing I'm glad about and that is that I have thicker skin than you lot by the looks of it LOL

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

Flounder1967
Feb 20, 2006, 6:50 PM
I thought it was very funny. Everybody just need to lighten up. IT's CALLED HUMOR.

Iowabiguy
Feb 20, 2006, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I get the joke. Har de har har.
It is not funny. It really is just a lame attempt at sterotyping. I don't think it is particularly inventive. I don't think it is particularly insightful. It just is.
I shrug my shoulders at people who would waste their time trying to come up with such a lame joke. Gettalife.

bigregory
Feb 20, 2006, 11:52 PM
Way to funny.
The only thing missing was the leather oil for their chaps.

wanderingrichard
Feb 21, 2006, 2:40 AM
lame! that's friggin lame! especially if ya have actually seen the movie.

scubaman
Feb 21, 2006, 4:19 AM
Way to funny.
The only thing missing was the leather oil for their chaps.

Going to have to agree with digregory on this one. If we lose our laughter and the ability to laugh at jokes and even ourselves then we are pretty much screwed. I know I need to pay attention to my own advice sometimes! :)

allbimyself
Feb 21, 2006, 8:02 AM
It was not very funny, a chuckle perhaps... they beat the dead horse way too much.

As far as offensive, the only part I thought was offensive was the cub scout uniform. Attempts to equate homosexuality/bisexuality with pedophilia are distrubing.

Driver 8
Feb 21, 2006, 10:58 AM
If this had stopped at Week 3, it would have been pretty funny. I could even have imagined telling it myself - though I think, for me my friends, the joke would be the very idea that one week of romance could turn two rough uneducated sheepherders into sophisticates.

But I didn't care for the way it went on and on - the Scout uniform people have alread mentioned, and the last bit seems to have a cheap "gay = crossdresser, same-sex marriage = men in wedding gowns" tone to it. It reminds me of listening to a bunch of straight guys being uncomfortable about gays - one will make some comment, and then everyone has to chime in with the usual sterotypes and lame jokes. I swear, it's straight men who have the real obsession with anal sex - which also seemed tiresome to me by the final shopping list.

I admit, this is a bit of over-analysis, but what else is the Internet for ;) I've certainly seen way more offensive material, and I'm not going to get upset about this, but I don't think I'll be forwarding it along, either. :2cents:

JohnnyV
Feb 21, 2006, 12:14 PM
I thought the jokes were very funny, but maybe that's because I have witnessed so many men who transform into urbane, brie-eating NPR subscribers overnight after coming out of the closet as gay... The "Mikes" and "Joeys" who become "Michael" and "Joseph" all of a sudden.

I think Brokeback Mountain has freaked a lot of people out and they're struggling to diffuse the stress with semi-offensive humor. The gay community scored a huge cultural hit against straightness with Ang Lee's masterpiece; you have to anticipate a backlash. I'm actually surprised the backlash isn't bigger.

I would say, just let it roll off your back after a few laughs. And remind yourself that you're openly or acceptingly bisexual, you're several steps ahead of the people who would throw those jokes around in malice.

J

2ferinindy
Feb 21, 2006, 6:11 PM
Guy side here:

I think the joke is funny, especially the Boy Scout uniform! I think it's even more funny reading the posts by people that were offended by it. Get over yourself!

Of course, I have a dirty mind...

APMountianMan
Feb 21, 2006, 9:35 PM
This is so lame... Crushed walnuts? No way! Spicy candied walnuts, maybe. Get it right! Puhleese!

:cool:

jasforjas
Feb 22, 2006, 4:23 AM
i loved it

as the food list got more 'oh so special' :tongue:

the lube list got way more serious :eek:

PeterH
Feb 22, 2006, 10:49 AM
I thought the list was quite funny and had a good laugh. I'd buy food only from the items in the last week if I could, so I think I have a right to laugh. I've never minded to be a bit more on the soft side then most men, even when I identified as straight.
I didn't feel affronted by the list at all, but maybe, being Dutch, I missed some of the nasty bits. Perhaps I'm also less inclined to be offended because I live in a country that's more accepting towards GLBT's than the US (we had a mainstream sitcom with gay men as main characters in the eighties).

bigregory
Mar 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
This is so lame... Crushed walnuts? No way! Spicy candied walnuts, maybe. Get it right! Puhleese!

:cool:
Best joke of the joke

Tx46M
Mar 23, 2006, 8:20 AM
Personally, I don't really find it "funny" but am not particularly offended by it either. For me, it is a wash and I wouldn't even pay attention to it..

Ditto for me!
:2cents:

funtimebiman47
Mar 23, 2006, 8:32 PM
I could find everthing on the shopping list for weeks 1 and 2 at Wallymart except for the whisky. And they call them Super centers? By week four I was shopping all over town trying to find this stuff! Oh well, back to the basic food groups for me :)

costablanca
Mar 24, 2006, 12:15 PM
I think it shows class, that people with a special sexual appetite know how to live and have fun.
This should be a review on IMDB.com
:bigrin:

pamandfredcpl
Mar 24, 2006, 12:35 PM
I thought it was funny, on the other hand how much do cow hands make, i mean has anyone tried to price out some of the things in the last 2 weeks.