PDA

View Full Version : Absolutes

Realist
Sep 3, 2009, 7:23 AM
Recently, I was brought to task about some comments I made, where I used absolutes.

At first, that irritated me, but, upon reflection, I should have said, "It's been my experience", "In my personal experience", etc, etc. I'll try to be more careful in the future. In a court of law I would have been torn to shreds!

I really do not feel that I am an authority on anything discussed here, and I assumed, that when I make a comment, that the reader would know that my realm of expertise is very narrow and not given as one who felt I had an all-encompassing knowledge. I understand that assumptions are not based on scientific proof and, as they say in the military...."ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME".

Funny, however, the persons who chided me for stating my opinions also uses absolutes, so I'm not the only guilty one, here. Suffice it to say, I doubt anyone of us here are experts in everything we discuss. Most of us express things that are generated by our own personal experience...as I do. I certainly am NOT an expert on any subject relating to sexuality, or anyone's personal preferences, or interests!

As for name-calling, that's just childish.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 3, 2009, 3:11 PM
Dont worry about it, Real. You arent going to be able to please everyone and none of us are perfect. The human language is sooo easy to Miscon-screw, and misunderstand, and misinterpret--especially in a written why to where you cannot see the person, look at their expressions, body language, ect...If they misunderstood your words, then they should have asked "Ok, so define your meaning for me"
Communication is the best key, Baby. :}
Hugzz
Cat

Doggiestyle
Sep 3, 2009, 10:12 PM
WOW Realist :bigrin: Come to think about it. There is one thing that I am absolutely shure about is the fact that there are no absolute's. Or in other words "one thing that I am shure about is that I am not shure"! :rolleyes:
LOL ...
Your friend, :doggie:

Realist
Sep 4, 2009, 7:59 AM
Thanx, you two!

I really do worry about being misunderstood, or creating ill feelings. I realize there are some who are naturally antagonistic and mean-spirited and I don't care if I irritate them.

Someone wrote me privately and said, "Fuck 'em; you can't be all things to everyone!" I know, but I don't want to be a poor communicator and sometimes feel frustrated when I'm unable to express an idea properly, or clearly, and the reader "miscon-screws" my intentions.

I admit there are a few, who I don't care to communicate with, period. Their attitudes, interests, and/or personalities are abrasive to me, so I avoid them. I don't mind discussing opposite opinions, but when it gets nasty-spirited, I'm out of there.

Hmmm, Cat, "Miscon-screw"..........that's cute....very innovative!

You're a trip, Girl!

Orlando157
Sep 4, 2009, 9:01 AM
Realist - Don't sweat the small stuff - I understood your original post - You always take time to particiate and your postings are always well thought through

We can enjoy our differences the same as we enjoy the points we have in common - Mark Twain said, "If it wasn't for differences of opinion racetracks would be out of business" :2cents:

Realist
Sep 4, 2009, 7:18 PM
Thanx, Orlando, I loved Mark Twain!

TheKnaveOfHearts
Sep 4, 2009, 8:04 PM
Duuuude, when did you upload that Paul Avril avatar? I love it. Anyway, I... have no idea what's going on here; I need to keep up with this place, as I've missed it. I'll make sure to leave my absolutes at the door. :flag1:

Realist
Sep 4, 2009, 9:46 PM
I have no idea where I got that, or who 's work it was!

I had it saved because it looked ancient and I figured it came out of some Greek ruins, or maybe Roman.

Shows you what I know! It reminds me of a relationship I had with an older married couple, when I was much younger.

TheKnaveOfHearts
Sep 5, 2009, 9:47 PM
I realized immediately that it was a Paul Avril painting. He is awesome as hell. He did all sorts of erotic art back in the 19th century:

http://www.arterotismo.com/PaulAvril/index.htm

Too bad they never mention him in art history courses. :flag1:

Realist
Sep 5, 2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks, those were heady paintings for that era, weren't they?

I can only imagine the feelings they'd stir up, then!

I'm going to see if I can read more about him.

Tom P
Sep 6, 2009, 6:47 PM
Realist
You have given me advice in the past and I realize you were giving it to me from your experiences and appreciated it.

I never thought you considered yourself an expert.

I have read your replies from other positngs and they have always been thoughtful and considerate.

Thank you
Tom

12voltman59
Sep 7, 2009, 12:50 AM
I realized immediately that it was a Paul Avril painting. He is awesome as hell. He did all sorts of erotic art back in the 19th century:

http://www.arterotismo.com/PaulAvril/index.htm

Too bad they never mention him in art history courses. :flag1:

Probably not too much of a surprise they didn't speak of this painter in your art classes----I am sure his paintings in some quarters are every bit as "controversial" now as I am sure they were back "in his day!"

Such paintings do go to show that there is really nothing at all new or novel about the ways we have sex today--in one of those slides of two women together--there was a strap-on dildo sitting on the nightstand next to the bed!!!

I love to see old art that shows people having sex in various ways----especially sex that deviates from the purely hetero sex. Such art does show that in most times---we humans love to see pictoral representations of our fellow human beings engaged in sex of all sorts---I bet one of these days----they will find some erotic cave paintings--or they were found ages ago--but were destroyed because the elite of the time didn't want such depictions to be found and studied.