PDA

View Full Version : Did you tell your kids? How?

Lenore
Aug 25, 2009, 11:44 AM
I am just wondering if any of you with kids have told them you are bisexual, and if so, how did you tell them?

My mom is bi. She told me in passing when I was 12 or 13. I was fine with it until I began to figure out that her female friends were not just friends. I think I viewed them as a threat to my already somewhat unstable little family. My step father was fine with it, obviously, but it freaked me out a little.

So anyway, I'm wondering if you have talked to your kids. How did you tell them, and how did they take the news?

Realist
Aug 25, 2009, 1:20 PM
My GF is bi, but figures her sexuality if none of her children's business.......but, if they ask her, she will be honest with them.

Really, why should they ever have to know?

Let them grow up to be whoever they want. Some children would have difficulty with it, some couldn't care less and some may want to follow suit, just to be like mom.

I'd say, the same as my GF......keep it to yourself, unless they ask. Then tell them the truth.

Randypan
Aug 25, 2009, 5:26 PM
I did tell my kids. First my 23 y/o daughter. She is fully accepting of my sexuality as she is Bi herself, besides, she "knew something was up". Told my 20 y/o daughter and she flipped out and still has not hit ground yet. She for some bizarre reason thought I was a homophobe, probably because effeminate or flamboyant gays get on my nerves, but I would have though watching "Queer as Folk" and other LOGO shows as well as my love of the musical, would have clued her in. I still do not know how we raised such a prude.

FalconAngel
Aug 25, 2009, 9:57 PM
My daughter was raised by her lesbian mother and girlfriend and knew about her pretty early on, but when she came down here 3 years ago, I told her. Figured that it wasn't any stranger than her mom being a lesbian.

She's fine with that, too, so no worries.

handlebar
Aug 25, 2009, 10:17 PM
I don't have any but IF i did, I would not tell them unless they were older,say over 25.

Jim

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Aug 25, 2009, 11:00 PM
My youngest daughter knows. My oldest daughter would have a coronary..lol And my oldest son thought that a BBW group was a bisexual group until he went to the site and found out different. :rolleyes: He is unfortunately like his Father and horribly Homo-phobic. My youngest son would freak out too. "Its ok to do hard drugs but dont Even be les or queer" His words...

Besides, I dont ask them what goes on behind Their closed doors, they dont need to know what goes on behind mine. :bigrin:
Cat

littlerayofsunshine
Aug 26, 2009, 11:00 PM
My kids don't absolutely know, they have walked up behind me while answering in the forums here on bi.com, but I haven't come out to them. I have talked with them about different sexualities and how there is nothing wrong about having a different sexuality. They ask me any questions about what they see or learn about. We have even had discussions on gender identity and why some people change theirs. They saw a show on TV about it.

I want my children to develop their own sexuality naturally and then feel comfortable enough with me to be open about it and then I will know they are mature enough to be comfortable enough with me. My 4 kids are age 13 and under.

Fire Lotus
Aug 26, 2009, 11:12 PM
My son knew about me from before his teens. (He is 23 now) I told him because I felt I should be open and honest with him. It was also during a time when I was in a serious relationship with a woman. Iwasn't going to hide that.

innaminka
Aug 28, 2009, 4:20 AM
Ever since I realised the truth of my sexuality, the one thing that hung over my head like the Sword of Damocles, was how/when/ I was going to tell my daughters.
It took nearly just on 12 years.
They both now know. They are 19 and 17 respectively.
Earlier this year, my husband (their father) and I separated. Amicably and for a multitude of reasons. (Mainly the marriage was just "tired') but without a doubt, my sexuality was a factor. He'd lived with it all those years and it was just another "nail in the coffin."
When I told my daughters of our separation, I also was honest about my sexuality. To the point that I indicated I was probably now lesbian.
They were actually surprised at neither our separation or my coming out.
Both had been reasonably evident to them for some time. Kids are very intuitive - they see through veneers: they knew Dean and I had lost our love for each other.
But also, they'd known for some time that I was like I was. They were remarkably cool about it. They said everyone knew someone who was gay. There was no real stigma.
Our separation had a far greater impact.
Since then, there has been no real discussion regarding me and sexuality, except I have told them that if I ever start to eneter the "market" again, it will almost certainly be with a woman.
But a long way to go yet. I'm thoroughly enjoying being both single and celibate!!!

(Ed. note!! ;) Evidently I inadvertently gave the "game" away myself about 4 years ago. The only, repeat only time I have ever invited a friend to stay we were careless. She was supposed to sleep in the living room. But my daughter got up with a headache and went to get an Asprin. No guest snoozing in the living room, but had magically reappeared by breakfast. And I evidently had "bedroom" hair the next day as well. She told me this tale the same day I came out. Clever girl: they kept that knowledge safe from me all those years.)

lv69cpl69
Aug 28, 2009, 10:57 AM
Nope what we do on the bedroom (beach, car where ever) is of no concern to anyone else. of course we WANT same sex contact but have not yet. but even things my wife and I do we don't tell. well guess we could here!:bigrin:
p.s. CAT you are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Herbwoman39
Aug 28, 2009, 10:36 PM
My kids were 17 and 16. I believed that at that age, since they had already been exposed to bisexual and gay people at their school, they would have a good base of experience to draw from.

Both of them were fine with it once I explained that I wasn't going to be leaving their Dad and that everything was great between he and I. I let them know that I just wanted to be completely honest with them.

Because I was so open with them, years later my youngest came out to me as bi, saying that I was the first person that he had actually said the words "I'm bisexual" to.