PDA

View Full Version : If you are against gay marriage answer me this

Holmes
Aug 23, 2009, 8:08 PM
The arguments against gay marriage are usually of two kinds 1 man 1 woman and it is a sacred union not to degraded by two men or two women claiming marriage.
Then please explain to me Elizabeth Taylor and her 8 and counting marriages were the other 7 not sacred? Valentino and his 3 day marriage and quickie divorce in Mexico, not sacred enough? Or Britney Spears and her 36 hour marriage. J lo and her 3 . Or how about shows like who wants to marry a millionaire, Or Megan wants to marry a millionaire witht the man who murdred his wife and placed her in a suitcase? I guess gold digging qualifies as a sacred union. Let us not forget that our present concept of marriage is a recent inovation. Women were considered chattle to be traded and bartered with for lands or to curry favor with a local in power. ! man 1 woman was not a bibilical standard since a man could have several wives and concubines if he could provided for them. Sorry but I just got steamed watching some ingnorant talking head saying that the gay marriage issue is the demise of western society. Funny that was the same argument used against interracial marriage a little over 40 years ago. Sorry had to rant and get it off my chest.

M. Wolfe
Aug 23, 2009, 8:30 PM
Now remember this is satire, ok people. I don't wanna get flamed.

10 reasons gay marriage is un-american:

1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.
7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.
9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

http://bw.org/gay-marriage.html

MelissaMaven
Aug 23, 2009, 9:41 PM
I think a lot of the problem is the lack of willingness to compromise on either side. That, and a lot of nonsense over just a word.

"Christians" and select others don't want gay people to get married for their myriad of reasons. They think gay people should respect their opinions, beliefs, and lifestyles. Fine, whatever, they're entitled to think that way. So we have civil unions in some states, which in a way circumvents that whole deal, basically bypassing the church element altogether. The problem with them though is that they don't tend to grant the same privileges under the law as a marriage, in my understanding.

On the other side of the coin, when presented with the notion of a union which could be equal under the law as a marriage, many gay people are against it. They want the marriage. They want the Christians/etc to respect THEIR lifestyles, beliefs, and opinions. All or nothing. And so, basically, they end up with nothing more often than not.

I know it's not this cut and dry in all situations, but this is generally the impression I get. Christians generally don't want the marriage to ever happen, yet gay people expect the marriage to happen no matter what, and so there's never room to compromise. Sometimes wanting something just because somebody else says you can't have it isn't the right motivation.

Marriage is something with ties into religion for centuries. When gay people fight to change what a marriage is defined is, they're technically no longer respecting the beliefs and lifestyles of the Christians anymore. Which of course is ironic since gay people say that that's what the Christians are doing to them. There is no solution to this problem.

Besides, why would you want something so bad that's associated with a group of people who as a whole are against who and what you are? If some form of union could present the same privileges as a marriage, then I'm sure you could find gay-friendly churches to have a function just as good or better than a marriage ceremony. And then, there's really nothing the opposition can do, because you still technically haven't fucked up their concept of marriage. And so Christians can cling to their traditional definition for all eternity.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Nobody will ever agree, and the only way forward is to stop clashing in the middle over just a word. It's the person I'm with that's important, not what the law defines my relationship with them as.

p.s. As far as most traditional Christians would be concerned, I don't think any of the marriage examples in the original post would really be considered "sacred", despite being man and woman.

boca.openminded
Aug 23, 2009, 10:04 PM
The arguments against gay marriage are usually of two kinds 1 man 1 woman and it is a sacred union not to degraded by two men or two women claiming marriage.
Then please explain to me Elizabeth Taylor and her 8 and counting marriages were the other 7 not sacred? Valentino and his 3 day marriage and quickie divorce in Mexico, not sacred enough? Or Britney Spears and her 36 hour marriage. J lo and her 3 . Or how about shows like who wants to marry a millionaire, Or Megan wants to marry a millionaire witht the man who murdred his wife and placed her in a suitcase? I guess gold digging qualifies as a sacred union. Let us not forget that our present concept of marriage is a recent inovation. Women were considered chattle to be traded and bartered with for lands or to curry favor with a local in power. ! man 1 woman was not a bibilical standard since a man could have several wives and concubines if he could provided for them. Sorry but I just got steamed watching some ingnorant talking head saying that the gay marriage issue is the demise of western society. Funny that was the same argument used against interracial marriage a little over 40 years ago. Sorry had to rant and get it off my chest.

As I was reading your post I was nodding my head. I totally agree. It is ok for straight people to make a mockery of the marriage process but its not ok for 2 gay people that are truly in love to get married.

My opinions why its such a major issues is because:

1) churches are against it. Everytime you hear people protesting against gay marriage they always mention something pertaining to religion or biblical (ex. adam & steve).

2) they are afraid that gay marriages will be more successful that straight ones. We all know that theres a 50% divorce rate but Im sure that gay marriages will be far far less and straight church going people will be upset by the number.

TaylorMade
Aug 23, 2009, 10:15 PM
I think a lot of the problem is the lack of willingness to compromise on either side. That, and a lot of nonsense over just a word.

"Christians" and select others don't want gay people to get married for their myriad of reasons. They think gay people should respect their opinions, beliefs, and lifestyles. Fine, whatever, they're entitled to think that way. So we have civil unions in some states, which in a way circumvents that whole deal, basically bypassing the church element altogether. The problem with them though is that they don't tend to grant the same privileges under the law as a marriage, in my understanding.

On the other side of the coin, when presented with the notion of a union which could be equal under the law as a marriage, many gay people are against it. They want the marriage. They want the Christians/etc to respect THEIR lifestyles, beliefs, and opinions. All or nothing. And so, basically, they end up with nothing more often than not.

I know it's not this cut and dry in all situations, but this is generally the impression I get. Christians generally don't want the marriage to ever happen, yet gay people expect the marriage to happen no matter what, and so there's never room to compromise. Sometimes wanting something just because somebody else says you can't have it isn't the right motivation.

Marriage is something with ties into religion for centuries. When gay people fight to change what a marriage is defined is, they're technically no longer respecting the beliefs and lifestyles of the Christians anymore. Which of course is ironic since gay people say that that's what the Christians are doing to them. There is no solution to this problem.

Besides, why would you want something so bad that's associated with a group of people who as a whole are against who and what you are? If some form of union could present the same privileges as a marriage, then I'm sure you could find gay-friendly churches to have a function just as good or better than a marriage ceremony. And then, there's really nothing the opposition can do, because you still technically haven't fucked up their concept of marriage. And so Christians can cling to their traditional definition for all eternity.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Nobody will ever agree, and the only way forward is to stop clashing in the middle over just a word. It's the person I'm with that's important, not what the law defines my relationship with them as.

p.s. As far as most traditional Christians would be concerned, I don't think any of the marriage examples in the original post would really be considered "sacred", despite being man and woman.

This is probably one of the most honest and respectful posts I've read in this forum. I'm tempted to e-mail this to people at my church. I bolded the parts I really liked.

So, if there ever was a move to give Civil Unions all the privileges and rights of Marriage w/o ever calling it such, do you think it would come to a peaceful solution? I want to believe it would.

*Taylor*

M. Wolfe
Aug 23, 2009, 10:21 PM
Sometimes wanting something just because somebody else says you can't have it isn't the right motivation.

You don't think that it's more of a matter of principle? Gay people have every right to get married and it's a collection of primitive beliefs built on nothing but faith that stand in the way.

The Christian anti-gaymarriage is a hypocritical one through and through as the same parts of the bible that they go on also say to stone disobedient children and adulterous wives, can't eat shellfish and a myriad of other nonsense which they categorically ignore.

Everyone has a right to their respective viewpoint but not all views are equal, they have or don't have merit.

A dentist, trained in dentistry for 40 years doesn't have a debate with someone who pulls teeth out with string and a door.

Since the disagreement between bigoted Christians (differentiating them from Christians who have nothing against gays) that cannot be compromised, then one ought miss out and being as how America isn't a theocracy in the first place, doctrine has no place deciding who can and cannot get married.

Proposition 8: The Musical (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=WxjPyp4fnrs)

DiamondDog
Aug 23, 2009, 10:24 PM
People are against "gay" marriage for various reasons.

I know bisexual and even gay men who are against the idea of gay marriage and just want a civil union.

Many bisexual, gay, and queer men see "gay" marriage as classism and just something that rich/middle class gay men want only to be respectable, and many see it as a failed imitation of a failed heterosexual institute that they want absolutely nothing to do with and do not want to imitate.

Other bisexual/gay/queer men see it as pointless since there are more pressing rights for gay and bisexual men than marriage, and they think that bisexual and gay men should just take civil unions while they are being offered, as like Melissa said for some gay men they want marriage for everyone or nothing at all.

Some bisexual and gay men view "gay" marriage as a step back in gay/bisexual rights and see it as just widening the gap between gay and heterosexual people, and they view gay marriage as just more pointless consumerism and assimilation.

Other bisexual and gay men don't see the point of "gay" marriage at all.

In some countries civil unions are becoming more popular than marriages are and even heterosexuals get them and they offer the same rights that a marriage does.

Not all Christians are somehow against same gender marriage.

eddy10
Aug 23, 2009, 10:31 PM
I think we should do away with marriages. That would at least lower the divorce rate.

TaylorMade
Aug 23, 2009, 11:05 PM
You don't think that it's more of a matter of principle? Gay people have every right to get married and it's a collection of primitive beliefs built on nothing but faith that stand in the way.

The Christian anti-gaymarriage is a hypocritical one through and through as the same parts of the bible that they go on also say to stone disobedient children and adulterous wives, can't eat shellfish and a myriad of other nonsense which they categorically ignore.

Everyone has a right to their respective viewpoint but not all views are equal, they have or don't have merit.

A dentist, trained in dentistry for 40 years doesn't have a debate with someone who pulls teeth out with string and a door.

Since the disagreement between bigoted Christians (differentiating them from Christians who have nothing against gays) that cannot be compromised, then one ought miss out and being as how America isn't a theocracy in the first place, doctrine has no place deciding who can and cannot get married.

Because they hold that Jesus abrogated that part.

And it's not just Christians who think this way... many of the original 3 monotheistic faiths believe this way, and there are many non-Christians who think this way. Some believe in abolishing marriage altogether instead.

And there are some people who never darkened the door of a church who hate gay people. My father, up until I came out, was one of those people, along with friends of his of a certain age.

You look on them and call it primitive, they'll look on you and call you possessed and all the rest of it, thus proving Melissa Maven's point that no one respects anyone in this debate. I don't have to believe as someone does to show respect.

It's just courtesy, which sometimes just GETS SHIT DONE. You think any of the Christians who DO have positive feelings toward gay people were swayed by posts like yours?

Probably not. That's why I passed on Melissa's post and not yours.

*Taylor*

M. Wolfe
Aug 23, 2009, 11:22 PM
Because they hold that Jesus abrogated that part.
But the anti-gay stuff is in that same part. Therefore they have no reason, can point to no scripture to justify the hate... but they do.

And there are some people who never darkened the door of a church who hate gay people. My father, up until I came out, was one of those people, along with friends of his of a certain age.
We are of course talking about the supposed "sanctity of marriage" here and that only really concerns the religious.

You look on them and call it primitive, they'll look on you and call you possessed and all the rest of it, thus proving Melissa Maven's point that no one respects anyone in this debate. I don't have to believe as someone does to show respect.
Respect has to be earned not demanded.

It's just courtesy, which sometimes just GETS SHIT DONE. You think any of the Christians who DO have positive feelings toward gay people were swayed by posts like yours?

Probably not. That's why I passed on Melissa's post and not yours.

*Taylor*

Well I don't particularly need you to be my mediator. My point is that at the end of the day, religious beliefs ought not have sway over peoples rights. Like I said, not all opinions are equal and some do more harm than good. Since there is no compromise, there is no reason to tolerate this kind of societal cancer - speaking as an ex fundamentalist christian, you can't reason with them!

MelissaMaven
Aug 23, 2009, 11:23 PM

Well here is the thing, though. Do you think, on a matter of principle, that you should be able to get a church to help you carry out a bar mitzvah when your family isn't Jewish? Or should you be allowed into a mosque even if you're not Muslim?

All I'm saying is that traditional marriage is so intertwined with religion that the notion of gays marrying offends many Christians much like doing the other things I mentioned would to other religions. In a perfect world, would you be allowed to do any of those things? Of course. But if it were a perfect world, we wouldn't be having the conversation.

That said, I don't disagree with you on the hypocritical parts of the bible. But there's still plenty of things in there which people can still use to live by if they want, without being hateful to others in the process. So I have nothing against religion in general. Just people who refuse to be open-minded to possibilities.

M. Wolfe
Aug 23, 2009, 11:33 PM
Well here is the thing, though. Do you think, on a matter of principle, that you should be able to get a church to help you carry out a bar mitzvah when your family isn't Jewish? Or should you be allowed into a mosque even if you're not Muslim?

All I'm saying is that traditional marriage is so intertwined with religion that the notion of gays marrying offends many Christians much like doing the other things I mentioned would to other religions. In a perfect world, would you be allowed to do any of those things? Of course. But if it were a perfect world, we wouldn't be having the conversation.

I certainly agree with you there. There is no reason that Marriage needs to be linked to church or a religion just to humour the people who believe that marriage needs to be "recognised by god" when it only matters that the union be recognised by the state.

I'm very supportive of the Civil Union concept as it basically scraps the concept of marriage (because of what's happened to it in history) and starts over with the crucial stuff. But legally it's not tantamount to a marriage contract yet.

That said, I don't disagree with you on the hypocritical parts of the bible. But there's still plenty of things in there which people can still use to live by if they want, without being hateful to others in the process. So I have nothing against religion in general. Just people who refuse to be open-minded to possibilities.

Of course but if people are going to just pick and choose the "nice stuff", why not save the trouble and convert to Buddhism or Taoism? Or even just work off Aesop's fables. Religion in that sense becomes completely redundant. But with some people, it's the best you are going to get so I should be thankful I guess.

Doggiestyle
Aug 24, 2009, 12:11 AM
Dammmmm, this is probably gonna get me condemned, but here goes!

I am of the opinion that the real reason that the Gov't is trying hard to legalize same sex marriage is cause most of the politicans were, at one time, lawyers, judges, dist attorneys, or big time business executives that is "buddyed up" with the legal system, and not to mention the lobbyist that are pro legal system and all the above want same sex marriages so they could make money off of it!!! And that is the only reason they are for it, and not because they have a sympathetic attitude towards the gay / lesbian folks.
Marriage, weddings, divorces are big business in America. Lots of money to be made to each of the commerical establishments, and to add to that, same sex marriages, even more money to be made! Just me thinkin here, but I think that the divorce rate will be similar to that of the present day "strait" marriages, but thats just my opinion.
And so, it's for this reason that I am against any and all marriage, including same sex marriage. I think that the civil union with shared benefits idea is a better one by far, and that would include the strait couples also. And if a couple or a individual is worried about being taken advantage of through a seperation. Then a legal agreement or contract could be drawn up, revised and updated from time to time, that would make seperation easy and hopefully court free, if that should ever arise. If a couple has entered into a civil union with shared benefits then they could share bank accounts, legal agreements, insurance, survivor-ship rights, in case of death, ETC. To me, that would be a better living situation than marriage, which is nothing more than a legal contract itself. The main thing wrong with marriage for anybody is that it lacks any definition as to who is entitled to what. This is why the legal / court system loves marriage. Look at the money they make deciding what is what. But with a mutual agreed to contract, divorce would be simple. As far as children, simple 50 / 50 should share that, after all it took both to make em.
Now to me I don't need marriage cause if I want to be with somebody, and they with me, then were together, and were married as far as friend-ship goes, and I like my friends. We do things together and for each other. And yep, that may include sex also!!! :cool:

The main reason that the Christians / Churches are so against same sex marriages, abortion, drugs, alcohol, gambling, and / or all the other so called sins is because they really believe that it's their God given duty to correct the wrongs of the world. The preachers get in front of everbody on Sunday and fire up the congregation with the same old "everbody is going to hell story" ( and it seems that most of the congregation act like they are glad of it ). But anyway, then you see them later preachin their message that is gonna save you from all that. The problem is that most don't really know what they are talkin about and if you challange them intellectually, most just get pissed of and tell you to go to hell and leave. :rolleyes: So don't get too mad at them, cause they really think they are doin you a favor, LOL. :bigrin:
Ahhhhh yes the Holy Rollers. Even though we don't know what to do with them, what would we do without them? Just think of them as another challenge!

Well it's gettin late and I have about gotten out of this third shift routine! It's bed time for me now, so BI BI everbody.
Your friend, :doggie: .......:bipride:

TaylorMade
Aug 24, 2009, 6:13 AM
But the anti-gay stuff is in that same part. Therefore they have no reason, can point to no scripture to justify the hate... but they do.

We are of course talking about the supposed "sanctity of marriage" here and that only really concerns the religious.

Respect has to be earned not demanded.

Well I don't particularly need you to be my mediator. My point is that at the end of the day, religious beliefs ought not have sway over peoples rights. Like I said, not all opinions are equal and some do more harm than good. Since there is no compromise, there is no reason to tolerate this kind of societal cancer - speaking as an ex fundamentalist christian, you can't reason with them!

Because the anti-gay rhetoric was supposedly backed up by New Testament writers (Romans 1, Jude 28)... you grew up in church, you should have been aware of this.

The OP didn't place it as explicitly a religious argument, hence why I brought it up. Not alot of people like to talk about it...maybe it ruins the nice little paradigm we have for ourselves.

Well, at this rate no ones earning any respect, you're not respecting them and so as a result they're not respecting you. . .thus no one is getting anything done.

I still am a Christian (hell, the denomination I am part of is considered fundamentalist) who is out to people in my church, they can be reasoned with. Sterotype+Stereotype=nothing getting done.

I'll just say this to close: Fundamentalism sucks, no matter WHO it is. Fundie atheists, fundie Wiccans, fundie Muslims. . .they all suck. And there's nothing like the passion of the freshly converted.

*Taylor*

M. Wolfe
Aug 24, 2009, 6:18 AM
I'm not a fundie atheist. Being anti-christian and to a lesser degree, anti-religion doesn't make one anti-[the idea of]god.

you grew up in church, you should have been aware of this.
In paying attention, I just recall being taught about the OT and Jesus's teachings/life. Towards the end, my distain for church apathy made sermons fall on deaf ears.

artsy girl
Aug 24, 2009, 9:44 AM
let me be the first to talk from an actual place where they do except gay marraige.
I think it's personally just crap that they don't want gay people to be married in the united states.
It's really just an infridgment on someone's personal rights as a human being.. to connect and unite with someone you love.

It's basically the same as telling people "you group of people.. we've decided you can't get a license to drive a car.. gay people are dangerous on the road and we just don't want them there." Or perhaps..." you can't own houses.. you can own anything else.. a condo.. a townhouse.. but no house for you.. it's just not economical for gay people to own houses."

Truly I don't think gay people have been recognized as human beings... until they've been given the same rights as anyone else.

The united states has been build upon christian values..and those values are not going to change easily.. unless you get some gay people in politics.

They system is so messed up even gay people don't think they are entitled to rights. That's messed up.

Its is true of course you can't change a christian persons mind about these issues.
I was a really devout christian for many years.. went to a baptist church..
We had some gay people every once in a while.. come through looking for faith in religion..
And it seemed valid at the time.. to try and convince them they were wrong for being gay.. that they should abondon those feelings.

It didn't really hit me how mean it was.. until... i nannied for a lesbian couple who were very committed (but not married).. and i was thinking of ways to bring up discussions of how wrong it was for them to be gay and together.

That was one of the turning points for me in turning away from the church.. it just seemed so hateful.. .to not accept people.

Another point I'll make... any gay person is allowed to be married in my area of canada.. but not everybody rushes out to be married.
It hasen't increased the amount of marraiges or the amount of failes ones.
People still take their time.. to join in marraige.. it's a big commitment.

Honestly i think christian people are the ones who actually rush into marraiges more.. because their anxious to have sex of course... and than they push out some babies.. and reallize their miserable quickly and in a failed marraige.. and i have seen this.... now that's irony.

Married artsy girl.

I think it's very true your not going to change any christian persons mind about the issues.

silkboxerslntx
Aug 24, 2009, 11:07 AM
The last time I looked, this was BISEXUAL.COM not GAY.COM.

Try googling to find your place in this world, okay?

TaylorMade
Aug 24, 2009, 1:12 PM
I'm not a fundie atheist. Being anti-christian and to a lesser degree, anti-religion doesn't make one anti-[the idea of]god.

In paying attention, I just recall being taught about the OT and Jesus's teachings/life. Towards the end, my distain for church apathy made sermons fall on deaf ears.

Did I say you were a fundie atheist? No, I didn't. RIF.

For me, it was never much about what people said, I wanted to read and to find out that sometimes what a person says to me is never what God actually meant. While a sermon or two did rock my world, I had to do a lot of the heavy lifting for it to stick.

*Taylor*

M. Wolfe
Aug 24, 2009, 6:17 PM
For me, it was never much about what people said, I wanted to read and to find out that sometimes what a person says to me is never what God actually meant. While a sermon or two did rock my world, I had to do a lot of the heavy lifting for it to stick.

I was the type to ask difficult questions for the sake of asking difficult questions. Genesis is very problematic, but other areas like the history of the cannon and apocryphal texts and the borrowing from one religion to the next.

TaylorMade
Aug 24, 2009, 6:31 PM
I was the type to ask difficult questions for the sake of asking difficult questions. Genesis is very problematic, but other areas like the history of the cannon and apocryphal texts and the borrowing from one religion to the next.

I always ask to learn. . .gotchas stymie the learning process.

*Taylor*

M. Wolfe
Aug 24, 2009, 8:25 PM
I always ask to learn. . .gotchas stymie the learning process.

*Taylor*

And I did learn, and I had faith no longer.

Holmes
Aug 25, 2009, 2:26 PM
Yes this is not Gay.com, but there are gay men and women who come to this site and are welcomed as they are. Marriage as we know it is a recent construct. Marriage was once the the right of the nobility and not for the common person. Women were chattel and were used to form alliances. The bible only mentions homosexuality in 7 places. Jesus himself was silent on the issue. There is a good documentary called "Becuase the bible tells me so" I would recommend everyone watch it if yoou geta chance. I get irked when people feel it is okay to deny others he rights of life ,liberty , and the pursuit of Happiness.

Annika L
Aug 25, 2009, 9:09 PM
The last time I looked, this was BISEXUAL.COM not GAY.COM.

Try googling to find your place in this world, okay?

Kindly explain to me how gay marriage is not a topic relevant to bisexuals. Or were you just trying to be an obstructive jerk?

I googled both questions, but couldn't find an answer to either...perhaps I'm technologically challenged.

Annika L
Aug 26, 2009, 1:48 PM
I'm a gay man and Christian and you are seeing Christians in a bad light.

I don’t doubt at all that straight men at least are purple with envy that gay men have so much sexual abandon (or at least did) when they are stuck with screwing the same old thing for life which she gets rapidly rolly polly, fat, and neurotic.

:eek: Thank you for shedding new light for us on how Christians think. Consider my impression revised.

clovermoon
Aug 26, 2009, 2:33 PM
Your logic in your original question is flawed. You imply that since divorce exists then marriage can not be sacred. Thus one can infer using the same logic that if murder happens then it can't be wrong. Your point weakens your argument, regardless if I agree or not on your ultimate conclusion.

SWCube
Aug 26, 2009, 2:44 PM
Your logic in your original question is flawed. You imply that since divorce exists then marriage can not be sacred. Thus one can infer using the same logic that if murder happens then it can't be wrong. Your point weakens your argument, regardless if I agree or not on your ultimate conclusion.

I would have to agree with the logic mentioned in the first statement, and personally that's why I don't believe in marriage. Simply put, if it was sacred, then there wouldn't be divorce. It once was sacred, but now can be thrown away whenever two people that said they cared about each other for some reason at one point no longer want to try to make it work any longer. That doesn't sound sacred to me. As far as "murder happens than it can't be wrong", that doesn't make any sense in this post. That would go more with "If divorce happened, it can't be wrong." However, if you look at it from a natural point of view, murder is not wrong. It is essential for life to continue and can be seen in the natural cycle of life. The reason for murder can be wrong and if you apply that to marriage, then it works a little better as "Divorce is a natural process of marriage but the reasons behind it can be wrong."