PDA

View Full Version : I am proud of you folks!!

12voltman59
Aug 8, 2009, 10:46 AM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for not repsonding to the thread: "Iraq Poem"---that has to be one of the most offensive things to have ever been posted here--I think it speaks for itself.

Without going into a big harangue about it---the people of Iraq did not ask for or want the US military to invade their nation and to set things straight---the nation of Iraq under Saddam Hussein, as bad as he was, had not one thing to do with the attacks of 9/11, nor did any individual Iraquis take part---if what we wanted was pure revenge---then the place that we shoulda bombed the shit out of was Saudi Arabia since most of the attackers were Saudis and the House of Saud funds the madrassass that are the seedbeds of new terrorists that are the ones trying to kill westerners.

We do of course know why we didn't bomb and invade Saudi Arabia---that comes down to one three-letter word: OIL!!!!!

I sent a message to the site webmaster asking the removal of that post--I urge everyone to do the same if you haven't already done it!!

_Joe_
Aug 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
meh, I do my best to avoid political stuff in company of people I like to keep talking to, as politics and religion can bring out the ugliness is anyone.

diB4u
Aug 8, 2009, 12:16 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for not repsonding to the thread: "Iraq Poem"---that has to be one of the most offensive things to have ever been posted here--I think it speaks for itself.

Without going into a big harangue about it---the people of Iraq did not ask for or want the US military to invade their nation and to set things straight---the nation of Iraq under Saddam Hussein, as bad as he was, had not one thing to do with the attacks of 9/11, nor did any individual Iraquis take part---if what we wanted was pure revenge---then the place that we shoulda bombed the shit out of was Saudi Arabia since most of the attackers were Saudis and the House of Saud funds the madrassass that are the seedbeds of new terrorists that are the ones trying to kill westerners.

We do of course know why we didn't bomb and invade Saudi Arabia---that comes down to one three-letter word: OIL!!!!!

I sent a message to the site webmaster asking the removal of that post--I urge everyone to do the same if you haven't already done it!!

I didnt read the poem so i cant comment on that- but yeah i agree with you totally, its about Oil and Money and that was it.

How many more people are going to die for the sake of what?

A new world order is in store :bigrin:

texasman6172003
Aug 8, 2009, 12:38 PM
Well y'all and Volty i read it. I am profoundly sad that person is from my Great State. Also the people like THAT are THE MAIN REASON i have not come out. The feeling of anything remotely homophobic related,and the results of being remotely or anything close too it,just permeates this State..

Falke
Aug 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
I didnt read the poem so i cant comment on that- but yeah i agree with you totally, its about Oil and Money and that was it.

How many more people are going to die for the sake of what?

A new world order is in store :bigrin:

Heh, I wish it was about Oil. I'm still paying abit for fuel, but it still isn't as bad as last year! I want my cheap oil damnit! Also, for how much money was dumped into Iraq, how much was made back in profit?

diB4u
Aug 8, 2009, 1:00 PM
And more importantly, what about the lives and deaths of the native people from that country? Have they been forgotten in this faceless struggle.

twisted sister
Aug 8, 2009, 4:40 PM
i read the poem, and chose not to respond. however it did make me think, and i believe that anything that makes me think twice , no matter what my feelings are (sorry about the run on sentence) is a good thing. :2cents:

hudson9
Aug 8, 2009, 7:16 PM
Like you, Volty, I am heartened by the replies to the poem. I also share your impulse in wanting such a hateful piece banished. But then the civil libertarian in me reminds me that free speech is precisely for the speech we find hateful -- and that we are more healthy as a society if we can confront that speech and "call it out", rather than repressing it where it can fester and become even more dangerous. (And why the disruptions at the healthcare town meetings are not free speech - because their purpose is not debate, but intimidation and disrupting discussion -- but that's another thread...)

So, I voiced my opinion in that thread, and I hope the thread will make people think critically.

recognize
Aug 8, 2009, 8:32 PM
Remember that scene in the movie "The Blues Brothers" when the Nazi Party had that meeting in the park and Jake and Elwood demonstrated their own version of free speech?

:bigrin:

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Aug 8, 2009, 11:37 PM
After working with Veterans for so many years I recognise the writer's pain and bitterness, but here was not the place to post that. What I saw was hurt, pain, hate and a deep seeded need to get it all out. All of these feelings should not be allowed to sit inside and fester. It needs to brought out and let go. Having had been married to a Vietnam Vet for 30 years who had PTSD to a degree of 7 taught me to see this, and so much more. I sincerly hope he goes for some counsiling as soon as he can.
Cat

Annika L
Aug 9, 2009, 1:53 PM
Volty, we seem to have a habit of each posting when the other would prefer they not. :tong:

I struggled for a while with whether to respond to that thread. Perhaps, if I had noticed this one earlier, I would have posted here instead...but I think my reasons for posting there were solid. My thought was that one way or another, that thread would continue...it was simply a matter of whether the tone that was set there would be entirely supportive of the OP or whether a different tone might be set.

So I decided to try to set what I thought was a proper tone...meeting hatred with compassion, but honestly and firmly.

I don't agree that anything that "makes a person think twice" is A-OK (I'm sure many people thought twice about a number of things after the holocaust). Thinking twice is a wonderful habit to cultivate...but it is a choice you make, not something that comes from without. If more people thought twice *without provocation*, the world would be a better place.