PDA

View Full Version : Random Data

void()
Aug 7, 2009, 10:06 AM
[Fri Aug 07 09:56 AM]XXXXXXXXX@mXXXlllXXX~ 56|0> wget -S www.bisexual.com
--2009-08-07 09:57:41-- http://www.bisexual.com/
Resolving www.bisexual.com... 66.1X4.XXX.215
Connecting to www.bisexual.com|66.1X4.XXX.215|:XXXX... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:51:40 GMT
Server: Apache/X.3.X3 (Unix) PHP/4.X.1X
Connection: close

Of course, anyone on a Linux or Unix type of computer may access this data. I was curious to see that the site uses an Apache server. That lets me know that an ip address directive could be imposed upon 'out of hand' users.

The only problem I could see is in being way to broad in the scope of ip addresses banned. You do not want to ban a whole block on an ISP, because there may actually be decent users that merit access to the site. However, there ought to be a way to get really focused on one range of ip #s so as to bar access to whom you so desire.

And sorry, just me thinking out loud ... feeling. <sigh> Really makes me feel bad when folks become highly abusive jerks. I guess sometimes those people forget they'll one day meet another meaner, nastier jerk they can ever dream of being. Old proverb, the wheel keeps spinning, good, bad or in between.

elian
Aug 7, 2009, 9:06 PM
[Fri Aug 07 09:56 AM]XXXXXXXXX@mXXXlllXXX~ 56|0> wget -S www.bisexual.com
--2009-08-07 09:57:41-- http://www.bisexual.com/
Resolving www.bisexual.com... 66.1X4.XXX.215
Connecting to www.bisexual.com|66.1X4.XXX.215|:XXXX... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:51:40 GMT
Server: Apache/X.3.X3 (Unix) PHP/4.X.1X
Connection: close

Of course, anyone on a Linux or Unix type of computer may access this data. I was curious to see that the site uses an Apache server. That lets me know that an ip address directive could be imposed upon 'out of hand' users.

The only problem I could see is in being way to broad in the scope of ip addresses banned. You do not want to ban a whole block on an ISP, because there may actually be decent users that merit access to the site. However, there ought to be a way to get really focused on one range of ip #s so as to bar access to whom you so desire.

And sorry, just me thinking out loud ... feeling. <sigh> Really makes me feel bad when folks become highly abusive jerks. I guess sometimes those people forget they'll one day meet another meaner, nastier jerk they can ever dream of being. Old proverb, the wheel keeps spinning, good, bad or in between.

I think the IP address you are listing above is the public IP address of the bisexual.com server..what you really want is the remote IP of the requestor, and you could get it with the web server software - but it may be hard to do what you are thinking of doing because most people are using ISP assigned dynamic addresses that can change. The IP's don't belong to the individual user, they belong to the ISP's dynamic IP pool. If you filtered by IP you MIGHT inadvertently block access for a legitimate user.

The best way to deal with tro-ells is still by user ID and ignore as far as I can tell.

AdamKadmon43
Aug 7, 2009, 9:54 PM
I think the IP address you are listing above is the public IP address of the bisexual.com server..what you really want is the remote IP of the requestor, and you could get it with the web server software - but it may be hard to do what you are thinking of doing because most people are using ISP assigned dynamic addresses that can change. The IP's don't belong to the individual user, they belong to the ISP's dynamic IP pool. If you filtered by IP you MIGHT inadvertently block access for a legitimate user.

This is true..... However, many non-dialup ISP's (such as mine) are assigning semi-static IP addresses that do not change as long as a connection is being continuously maintained. Some chat rooms such as Paltalk use this effectively to ban people by IP address... at least for a while. One particular room used it to ban someone who has been stalking me and attacking me all over the place.

The problem is that if you reboot your DSL or cable modem, the chances are very high that you will be assigned a different address, thus allowing you to get back in under a different name. And whoever else draws that address could not get in.

It would seem that there should be some way to ban someone by their NIC address since that never changes. Of course, there would be a way around that too. Just change out your NIC or use a different computer.

Maybe you are right. Just ban them by identity and hope that they eventually get bored with their childish behaviour and go away.

diB4u
Aug 7, 2009, 11:58 PM
And of course theres new technology that can mask up your ISP so it looks like your from another part of the world. I used it soley so i could see CBS website lol.

My ISP is static i believe, but where theres a how and a who theres always a person behind it trying to outsmart someone else.