PDA

View Full Version : I already knew this!

Realist
Aug 5, 2009, 8:09 PM
NEW YORK – The American Psychological Association declared Wednesday that mental health professionals should not tell gay clients they can become straight through therapy or other treatments.

Instead, the APA urged therapists to consider multiple options — that could range from celibacy to switching churches — for helping clients whose sexual orientation and religious faith conflict.

In a resolution adopted on a 125-to-4 vote by the APA's governing council, and in a comprehensive report based on two years of research, the 150,000-member association put itself firmly on record in opposition of so-called "reparative therapy"..........

Realist
Aug 5, 2009, 8:39 PM
When I worked on a military post, a soldier who worked for me learned that his daughter was having a sexual relationship with another girl. He and his wife sent her to every religious institution that claimed to be able to "CURE" her. She was sent to "Boot Camps", church schools, assigned to special groups and Psychologists. The last time I saw their daughter, she was happily ensconced in a loving relationship with two other girls, was in college and on her way to becoming a chemistry major. Good for her, I say....she survived it all!

diB4u
Aug 5, 2009, 9:07 PM
LOL yes its not recognised as a mental health problem anymore, but, depression can be an issue when dealing with sexuality let alone gender.

Many, many, many different things can cause individual mental health problems, familes, friends, personalities, cultures, expectaions of self and of others all add to the miss moss that is called mental health.

Psychologists allthough having done a degree in pscychology arent medically trained unlike psychiatrists.

Being gay or bi no, but being trans yes.