PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Users...

Laken
Aug 1, 2009, 9:19 PM
Don't know how many of you had heard about this...I hadn't until recently. Facebook has been removing photos of women breastfeeding their children. These photos are in no way sexual and in most of them you can't even see the nipple. They show less than some pictures friends of mine have posted of themselves in a bikini or going out for a night on the town.

This week is World Breastfeeding Week. In honor of that and in protest of Facebooks actions we're hosting a virtual nurse-in. You don't have to be breastfeeding or even female in order to participate. Just simply change your profile picture to show a nursing child (even if it's dogs or kittens!) and change your status to something along the lines of "Breastfeeding isn't obscene!"

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=102988089741

Women everyday choose NOT to breastfeed because they think it's something "dirty." Don't get me wrong...I love boobs as much as the next guy (or gal! :tong:) but their one true purpose is providing nurishment for a child. I just find it quite silly that women have to worry about feeding their kids in public. It blows my mind that people see this as something weird, dirty, foreign, or sexual. If my child is hungry, he's going to eat. I don't care where I am. And I refuse to go into a bathroom to feed him. That's disgusting and I can't believe people even actually suggest it. If someone is offended by my breastfeeding then they are staring just a little too hard IMO.

texasman6172003
Aug 1, 2009, 9:42 PM
Well Laken,The way i see it,if they dont want too see it,just move on!!They can just leave the area. I personally have no problem with it,of course some would say it is cause i am a guy,:rolleyes:.. Butt that isntt it at all,it's just a natural part of being a Mother.Some don't breastfeed,some do. It really is no big deal,butt a few are making it one.:rolleyes: Take care of that baby Hon!! :bigrin:

littlerayofsunshine
Aug 1, 2009, 9:46 PM
I don't have face book but I understand the issue. I have breastfed 4 children. When I was a younger mother was when it was mostly an issue. I was at a restaurant one time. Not an High end , but a chain (non-fast food) and I was breastfeeding and the waitress came over and made a comment if I could yadda yadda .. I asked her to speak louder that I couldn't hear her. I actually wanted to see if she had the gall to say it louder.. Then she goes "Ma'am Can't you go do that in the bathroom Please!" I said "Bitch! Do you eat on the toilette, or even in the bathroom!. Well neither does my son! Then I went from mostly discreetly breastfeeding.. To being more pronounced.. And then finished my food..and left a penny in my glass of water for a tip.. paid my ticket. and never went back.... Yeah I am a bitch.. But my kids are smarter for it..LOL...

It's not dirty or sexual... hell using baby formula is like sticking your kid right to a cows tit.. Cows tit okay... mommy tit... People get offended...Least my tits don't get recalled, contaminated with salmonella, or have lead in them.

If ya breastfeed wtg... if ya don't.. well good for you, I don't care as long as the baby gets fed.. but if you can't stand breastfeeding.. Look at it this way.. The water you drink (for alot of the country) is filtered waste product. Yum Yum.

WTG laken for breastfeeding.. I applaud you.

texasman6172003
Aug 1, 2009, 10:09 PM
I don't have face book but I understand the issue. I have breastfed 4 children. When I was a younger mother was when it was mostly an issue. I was at a restaurant one time. Not an High end , but a chain (non-fast food) and I was breastfeeding and the waitress came over and made a comment if I could yadda yadda .. I asked her to speak louder that I couldn't hear her. I actually wanted to see if she had the gall to say it louder.. Then she goes "Ma'am Can't you go do that in the bathroom Please!" I said "Bitch! Do you eat on the toilette, or even in the bathroom!. Well neither does my son! Then I went from mostly discreetly breastfeeding.. To being more pronounced.. And then finished my food..and left a penny in my glass of water for a tip.. paid my ticket. and never went back.... Yeah I am a bitch.. But my kids are smarter for it..LOL...

It's not dirty or sexual... hell using baby formula is like sticking your kid right to a cows tit.. Cows tit okay... mommy tit... People get offended...Least my tits don't get recalled, contaminated with salmonella, or have lead in them.

If ya breastfeed wtg... if ya don't.. well good for you, I don't care as long as the baby gets fed.. but if you can't stand breastfeeding.. Look at it this way.. The water you drink (for alot of the country) is filtered waste product. Yum Yum.

WTG laken for breastfeeding.. I applaud you.

Just another reason i Like you Ray!!!!:bigrin:

void()
Aug 2, 2009, 7:48 AM
A bit of politic humor, excuse me.

Watch out or we'll have the Obaminator offering up milk bar sit downs with breast feeders and bottle feeders. :tongue:

I don't have an issue with public breastfeeding. In fact, "hey more power to ya." It's simply part of human nature. Far too many folks forget humans are still at their base, animals. No one is offended by calves nursing, why should humans be any different?

Read somewhere that cow's milk continued to being used throughout a person's life is actually detrimental to the person. Well, then why not breastfeed and ween a kid off milk naturally? I dunno, hell someone could probably get their knickers in a knot and bloomers in a twist if I had a boogie on my finger. <sigh> And they call me crazy.

clovermoon
Aug 2, 2009, 8:34 AM
This is not a statement on breast feeding. You don't pay to be on their site, plus being their site they can set the rules. Just like you can ban smoking in your home or car, it is yours you own it. If you don't like it start your own site or just remove your profile.

This is a non issue. Now let's all get naked.

Laken
Aug 2, 2009, 9:42 AM
This is not a statement on breast feeding. You don't pay to be on their site, plus being their site they can set the rules. Just like you can ban smoking in your home or car, it is yours you own it. If you don't like it start your own site or just remove your profile.

It very much IS a statement on breast feeding. And just becuase they have their "rules" doesn't mean that I have to agree with or like them. People fight against what they don't agree with every day. This is my way of doing so. It may be a non issue to you...but it's an issue for me.

rissababynta
Aug 2, 2009, 9:56 AM
It very much IS a statement on breast feeding. And just becuase they have their "rules" doesn't mean that I have to agree with or like them. People fight against what they don't agree with every day. This is my way of doing so. It may be a non issue to you...but it's an issue for me.

And many others obviously. I'm having a problem with the picture upload, but I did join in the group and shared it with others.

Falke
Aug 2, 2009, 10:36 AM

One cannot compare smoking and breast feeding. Breast feeding is offensive visually to some people, but it really provides so much to the little one. Whereas smoking is a offense to others, but it is much more than just visual, it covers the nose, and sometimes eyes/ears. *I used to get wicked sinus/ear infections when I was little after being in very smokey places, fortunately I no longer have this response.* In short, it can cause far more issues than seeing someone breastfeeding does. Of course, in either case I suggest that the offended person just move on.

May I suggest that you try again?

Also, to those doing the nurse in, well done! This rule is rather chickenshit and they should be challenged on it.

diB4u
Aug 2, 2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah i've read it before about facebook, but maybe its got to do with protection of children and women- from dirty individuals who might be using images for negative reasons.

Or maybe not, but I'm sucpicious?

Laken
Aug 2, 2009, 3:00 PM
[QUOTE=diB4u;137178] maybe its got to do with protection of children and women- from dirty individuals who might be using images for negative reasons.
[QUOTE]

I don't think so Dib. But even if that were the case...isn't that something that the poster should have the right to decide? It's just like posting pictures anywhere else on the internet. There's always that chance.

Holmes
Aug 2, 2009, 4:22 PM
This is so sad, guys will go to strip bars to see boobs everywhere and then freak out whenawoman breast feedsinpublic. MY ex tought that breastfeeding in public was so "3rd world" . I would argue that it is natural and nothing is wrong with it. SHe tried to flip it with so me giving you alow jobin public is ok? I said " No that would be sexual and inapproipate in a public setting" Then she reallyflipped and thought I had a sexual fetish about breast feeding. She actually wanted a womanthrownout of a restuarant for breast feeding. The woman wore a drap and no one would have noticed it had see not made a seen and almost got us thrown out. Just goes to show you tha ignorance is not gender based

clovermoon
Aug 2, 2009, 4:56 PM

My post was not a statement on breast feeding. Maybe you should chill and just leave face book.

clovermoon
Aug 2, 2009, 4:58 PM
One cannot compare smoking and breast feeding. Breast feeding is offensive visually to some people, but it really provides so much to the little one. Whereas smoking is a offense to others, but it is much more than just visual, it covers the nose, and sometimes eyes/ears. *I used to get wicked sinus/ear infections when I was little after being in very smokey places, fortunately I no longer have this response.* In short, it can cause far more issues than seeing someone breastfeeding does. Of course, in either case I suggest that the offended person just move on.

May I suggest that you try again?

Also, to those doing the nurse in, well done! This rule is rather chickenshit and they should be challenged on it.

I was not comparing breast feeding to smoking, I was talking about ownership, and rights of ownership. Reading comprehension people.

Laken
Aug 2, 2009, 5:58 PM
My post was not a statement on breast feeding. Maybe you should chill and just leave face book.

I'm not trying to start a debate here. (now on facebook, maybe. but not here.) I'm perfectly chill. You can state your opinions, I can state mine. Oh the joy of the internet. Like I said, not looking for a debate. Just for those who agree to support myself and others and join us in the nurse-in. You obviously don't agree and that's fine. It's your prerogitive.

Falke
Aug 2, 2009, 6:02 PM
I was not comparing breast feeding to smoking, I was talking about ownership, and rights of ownership. Reading comprehension people.

I understand that, but your comparison was invalid. If you wanted to make your point may I suggest that you take two related things, then re-assert the point you are trying to make. It will add validity to your statement.

clovermoon
Aug 2, 2009, 6:24 PM
I understand that, but your comparison was invalid. If you wanted to make your point may I suggest that you take two related things, then re-assert the point you are trying to make. It will add validity to your statement.

It was valid. Ownership of item (X) affords said owners the right to do with it as they wish. Just as you as owner of item (Z) give you rights of ownership as well. It is totally irrelevant what those items are; because the comparison is the rights of ownership like I previously stated. The point of demanding changes how some uses those rights are insipid and invasive. They have a web page and do not allow certain things on that web page. You own a house or car and also can establish rules. The logic is linear. Before you start imposing your will on others, perhaps you should wonder how you would feel if others demanded you live by their rules. You are not forced to support this web page; if you are not happy simply do not do business with them. Don’t demand they change to make you happy. Accept them for what they are, isn’t that the basis of this (bisexual.com) web page? If you can not follow that I am very sorry, you can attend my logic class anytime you want free of charge.