PDA

View Full Version : Now, this is some scary stuff!

12voltman59
Aug 1, 2009, 7:20 AM
A new book out by an investigative journalist brings to life all my fears about extremist "Christianity"---I guess Margaret Atwood was prettyy much on the money with her 80s novel "The Handmaid's Tale"

http://browseinside.harpercollins.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780060560058&WT.mc_id=PBAN_BLOGADS_FAMILY_072909

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq20THy7Hbk

http://jeffsharlet.blogspot.com/2008/02/blog-post.html

12voltman59
Aug 1, 2009, 8:07 AM
I had not heard of Jeff Sharlet before--but he is an interesting person and certainly has "the chops" to have written a book such as "The Family"---he is a regular writer on things of a religious nature----he is editor of this interesting online "publication" http://www.therevealer.org/aboutus.php

I am sure going to spend some time at this site. I am glad to see a site of this nature.

Realist
Aug 1, 2009, 9:24 AM
It's easy to focus on the extremist factions, but in truth, there are a lot of folks, who believe what they believe, in peace and harmony with their fellow humans.

I'm not standing up for anyone, who is dogmatic and obtrusive, but let's not forget that there are some gentle, loving, people, with all sorts of beliefs...... religious, agnostic and even atheistic, in the world, too.

I knew a couple who were 7th Day Adventists. To me, their believes were foreign. But, there never was two more loving, forgiving, and more gentle people than they were. They lived by example and anyone who ever knew them, respected and loved them.

They knew my 1st wife and I lived differently, but not once did they attempt to convert us, tell us we were going to hell, or in any way disrespect our way of life. In turn, we respected them and loved them, too. I long wished my own parents had been more like they were.

rissababynta
Aug 1, 2009, 9:37 AM
Extremist anything is not a good idea.

M. Wolfe
Aug 1, 2009, 9:49 AM
Since deconverting at the end of last year, I'm astonished with what the religious mind will justify. These people consider themselves exempt from morality and yet are fundamentalists.

I dream of the day without religion.

I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men.

. -Robert Ingersoll

Falke
Aug 1, 2009, 10:35 AM
Extremist anything is not a good idea.

Agreed.

FalconAngel
Aug 1, 2009, 11:06 AM
Since deconverting at the end of last year, I'm astonished with what the religious mind will justify. These people consider themselves exempt from morality and yet are fundamentalists.

I dream of the day without religion.

Religion, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. It is the extremists that are the real problem. Recent converts can be the most volatile of them all, though.

As people who are recovering from Christianity, we understand that concept very well.

I, personally have met some of the zealots and am glad that I never became one of them, but the minute that I hear one saying about how God is on their side, I remind them that it has proven through history, that they are wrong. I remind them that their god is selfish, jealous and doesn't really care if they live or die, just so long as their god's ego is satisfied. It's in their own bible.

Take it on faith? No thanks. I am a Wiccan and I will take what actually works, not what is hit and miss.

But I digress;
Religion is a good thing when used as a guide for personal living and when it encourages personal choice and individuality/personal accountability. A religion without those things is nothing more than a harmful cult.

A world without religion, would end up being like planet Vulcan; full of people without emotion, love, hate, curiosity and all of the other things that make us distinctively human.

M. Wolfe
Aug 1, 2009, 11:28 AM
A world without religion, would end up being like planet Vulcan; full of people without emotion, love, hate, curiosity and all of the other things that make us distinctively human.

We've never seen a world without religion, atheism has never been more common. Norway, for instance, is more than 70% atheist/agnostic/irreligious. They have had the lowest violent crime, unemployment, they have some of the best hourly wages, health care, people are content with their lives. The most religious nations are the stark opposite.

Religion, i.e deism at times may be harmless but it gives rise to extreme/fundamentalism which demonizes doubt and critical thinking.

I've told Christians about a story that people used to tell around 6000 years ago to their children. A story that features man being created from dirt, later one man builds an arc and gathers animals when the gods flood the flat earth. The ancient Sumerians first conceptualised these fairy tales and handed them onto the Babylonians then the Jews, Greeks, Romans, Christians. Believing it is just lunacy. So if it's not real and you're in it for the morality and life guide why not go with a religion that teaches and practices peace and humility like Buddhism? At least they don't have crusades and inquisitions to their names.

Sorry I just noticed it appears I'm standing on what looks like a soapbox- don't know how that happened.

Basically anyone who believes that Leviticus should be adhered to (and therefore used against non-heterosexuals or misbehaving children) ought to have their brain privileges revoked because they are abusing their privilege to think.

Holmes
Aug 1, 2009, 12:22 PM
Extremist are scary no matter what religon. I have found extremist in paganism and they are no different than fill in the blank extremist. Religon is great when it provides you with comfort and hope during times of trouble or joy. There is a great boo everyone should read called "the book your church doesn't want you to read" Written by a former minister who became upset and disgusted by his church and christinaty as a whole. In it he shows how the nativity myth has antecedent in Hinduism, Egypt and other myths that were available at the time . How the Moses in the bullrushes waspredated by the Myth of Sargon in Babylon etc etc

Falke
Aug 5, 2009, 3:38 PM
Do you actually believe in this drivel and paranoid conspiracy theory?

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/pinko.htm

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/ideologue.htm

If I may ask one question to you... Do you ever post anything that actually engages any of the points made by other posters, or do you just post un-original generic attacks that aren't really aimed at anything?