PDA

View Full Version : Prepare to be shocked, amazed and a little weirded out!

M. Wolfe
Jul 30, 2009, 12:41 AM
Just click it, I don't think I can preface it with anything useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-cpcoIJbOU

What do you think of that, guys?

Bonezs
Jul 30, 2009, 4:22 AM
DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency)has been working on neuro-response technology for the last 10 years or so. My father made a data submission on this very topic. This is not too scary or weird to me. They are actually using the same technology to alternatively treat neuro-responces in people with ADHD. They use a video game that is measuring the neuro-response to cause the games interaction. You never use your hands just relaxation and focus.

Will

M. Wolfe
Jul 30, 2009, 4:40 AM
I'm just looking forward to the day that I can be like Doc Ock.

mrplayfuluk
Jul 30, 2009, 4:46 AM
mindboggling....

12voltman59
Jul 30, 2009, 5:00 AM
Here in my hometown of Dayton, Ohio is Wright-Patterson AFB--at Wright-Patt--much of the development stages of just about every flying machine the US military creates begins here.

It was back in the 90s now--but I was a member of a Unitarian Universalist Church--we had many people who were members that worked on some very high tech--out there on the fringe sort of things--one guy I knew from there was an engineer of some sort for the AF and was also a pilot--he was working on a program that would connect the brain of pilots to various instrumentation of the aircraft so a pliot would not have to manually control flight systems, weapons systems, etc,----he said things then were pretty well advanced in that regard and he later was transferred out to Edwards AFB for real world testing of what the AF researchers had been doing in the labs----so while this is some wild stuff----hard telling just how far along research of this sort really is----especially with the military--so much of that is "black box" stuff that we may not see in general applications for years to come.

From what I would hear those people talking about in their casual conversations----stuff way beyond my league----it would proably freak most people out!!! They were the types doing the sort of work this prof in the video does.

I do think---that with all that is going on in such research in labs all over the world----the future of humanity its going to be so wildly different---we can hardly begin to fathom it all--and if humanity does indeed survive on into the future----the nature of what we are now and will become say several hundred generations hence-----we will have as much resemblence to that as a simple bacteria resembles us now----we are but at a very fundamental stage from what we will evolve into----

I know I joke about it--but at some point--we will probably resemble The Borg from Star Trek for a time--but even that will be but a waystation in an evoloution to something very different from what we are now.

"Resistance is Futile!!" (and change is inevitable!)

**Peg**
Jul 30, 2009, 8:16 AM
My jaded eyes noticed the fisheye lens along the hallway and the technomanipulative music... both designed to have the viewer interpret the undertaking as 'weird' (or your adjective of choice, perhaps 'otherworldly').

So, I wasn't shocked nor amazed.

As volty said, it's inevitable IMO.

Realist
Jul 30, 2009, 11:35 AM
The song, "In the Year 2525" comes to mind! "...if man is still alive!"

Shhhhh 47/F/usa
Jul 30, 2009, 1:43 PM
I'm waiting for the day I can mow my grass while sitting in a chair drinking iced tea.

footlady
Jul 30, 2009, 2:02 PM
The song, "In the Year 2525" comes to mind! "...if man is still alive!"

i've always liked this song; interestingly enough it is coming to fruition. It's also the beginning of my street address, not on purpose. Good article.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 30, 2009, 2:07 PM
Great. If we ever have a Nucular war the only thing that'll be left is cockroaches and monkeys that can play video games. Sumbuddy been watching Planet of the Apes wayy too many times...
Scary. We already Have smart machines, smart bombs and dumb People..scary.....:eek:
Cat

M. Wolfe
Jul 30, 2009, 2:54 PM
Great. If we ever have a Nucular war the only thing that'll be left is cockroaches and monkeys that can play video games.

Actually the reality is that almost all of the insect kingdom would survive and well as plant life. Nuclear war will probably kill off all animals bigger than a shrew because we are mostly soft tissue which is particularly vulnerable to radiation.

M. Wolfe
Jul 30, 2009, 3:36 PM
I can see that humans' next step in evolution is nearer than first expected as we alter ourselves as we see fit. Note the signature.

You can imagine giving paralysed people their mobility and executable will back. Hawking would be able to move around again. People could have more limbs to work with. The human body cold be completely replaced.

The fun, most interesting part of this is that using a mechanical limb is something a person would have to be train in. One would learn to work the limb like a child learns to walk and talk - the brain develops in response to the exposure to it.

chook
Jul 30, 2009, 3:55 PM
And you all thought that Planet Of The Apes was nothing more than bullshit.....:cutelaugh

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

Bluebiyou
Jul 31, 2009, 12:26 AM
... I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death...

...where killing is just a video game... will be the logical/profitable conclusion of this technology... and helping the maimed and paralyzed will be the initial banner of moral justification.
When the horrors of harming/killing are removed from the act... the profitability of war and submission of others will act upon us human animals in predictable ways.
This is a magnitude leap over having children armies.
I predict 'good' things initially... for 15 years or so...
But to make the mistake of presuming that the evil nature of mankind will not exploit the obvious profit margin of this technology... ***sigh***

... I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death...