PDA

View Full Version : Okay, So Maybe It IS Contagious

Herbwoman39
Jul 5, 2009, 4:13 AM
LOL! I'm starting to wonder if my Bi is rubbing off on people :bigrin: About a week before I came back from my hiatus here, I got a call from my 19 year old son. He said he wanted to talk to me and could we have lunch. Since he's a working Joe and gas is precious, I picked him up and we went out together.

After catching up, he said he had something to tell me. I'm proud to report that my son came out to me. He said that I'm the first person he's actually said the phrase "I'm Bi" to. So I gave him my copy of "The Bisexual's Guide To The Universe" and let him know that any time he wanted to talk, I'm here. I also invited him to come with me to this month's PFLAG meeting so that he can get to know other people in our local LGBT community. The only other folks he knows besides me are his female (also Bi) roommate and the people he's met at Cold Keg, our only LGBT bar.

But that's not all folks. Hubby has been hedging around for about a year now trying to figure out if his occasional M/M fantasies are just that or if he's really interested in exploring the notion. He knows he has my full support in whatever he decided to do. I know that at the end of the day he'll always come home to me.

Yesterday he had a rather fun, flirtatious conversation with a bi guy friend of mine on Facebook whom I've known for a couple years. Sooo...something might be starting to happen in that arena.

To quote a wonderful man "My name is Harvey Milk and I'm here to recruit you!"

12voltman59
Jul 5, 2009, 4:21 AM
Wow Herby--sounds great---all the best to you and yours on this!!

diB4u
Jul 5, 2009, 6:12 AM
Congrats hon....

Awww sounds like things are going towards a good and safe place...

:cool: I dont personally know you but i think its really good that your son came out to you and said that he is bi. Not many grown up daughters or sons can feel that they can do that.

Realist
Jul 5, 2009, 7:27 AM
Your son is so lucky to have a mother like you! I've read a lot of your posts and it's obvious that you are a smart, articulate and interesting person. I like how you deal with challenges that arise in your life and am inspired by the way you face things.

Even though I knew I was bi before I knew what sex was and, didn't understand the term "Bisexual", I dealt with the guilt of knowing I was different, fearing hell and damnation, and lied like crazy to it cover up. Part of the reason I was like that was because of the dogmatic religious atmosphere, prejudices, and the prevailing thought that any deviate behavior was filthy and degrading. My parents were never taught how to discuss things like these and therefore never shared them with me.

I was first introduced to sex by a much older man, who took me under his wing and answered my questions honestly and in a non-threatening manner. Whether it was right, or wrong for him to seduce me at such a tender age (of 14) he did it in a gentle way. He allowed me to make the decision to, or not to, let him teach me and I loved him for it.

If my parents had been able to discuss controversial things, like sex and relationships with me, I may...........or may not, have allowed myself to be seduced before I was mature enough to handle such a powerful thing. The terrible desire that I had to deal with, after being indoctrinated, was confused with morals and religion and desire for more.

Your own life is revealing itself in an interesting way and I'd like to see how the things you're dealing with unfolds!

sk8er
Jul 5, 2009, 8:46 AM
Yep, ur son is really lucky, I wish my rents were a bit more like u.

codybear3
Jul 5, 2009, 9:59 AM
Herbwoman, it is great that your son can come forward and be open with those close to him... Too many others have been shunned by loved ones for being who they are... Good luck to your hubby in his near future and its great that you are there for him... If the "Bi-ness" is really rubbing off on people, perhaps a world tour of you walking among the population will finally help people see that we really do exist here and not a threat to anyone... :):paw::paw:

M. Wolfe
Jul 5, 2009, 11:08 AM
It's not the bisexuality that's contagious, it's the bravery to accept it that is contagious.

People have feelings for other people and those don't always fall on the other gender and that makes people worried, so people ignore it. A remote few are strong enough to accept the duality for what it is, but it helps when their are other people around to be an example for them.

Before I came out, I had every reason to think that my friends were strait. Since I came out, a few have confided in me that they had occasionally felt "funny" to turned on buy other guys or situations, but they had no one to tell, no one would understand. I understood and across the board, it brought me closer to my friends.

It's tragic that there is so much pressure of us to conform to preordained ideas of ideal men and women.

texasman6172003
Jul 5, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Herb,I am so happy for you and your son.Please allways be there for him.At least i know you will NOT be like my own close minded mother,for pete's sake please don't be like her and the rest of my family is. I admire your attitude toward's your son..

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 5, 2009, 1:43 PM
Whoo hoo! Very cool Herbie. Congrats and kudos on being such a cool Mom, and a wonderfully understanding wife as well.! ;)
Hugs
Cat

Doggiestyle
Jul 5, 2009, 11:53 PM
My opinion has always been "Be bi, cause it's the only way to fly!:bigrin:

Your friend, :doggie:.......:bipride:

Herbwoman39
Jul 6, 2009, 7:33 PM
Yep, ur son is really lucky, I wish my rents were a bit more like u.

Any time you need to talk just drop me a message. If I'm not around there are lots of others here to help too :-) Remember that no matter what your parents DO love you.

Herbwoman39
Jul 6, 2009, 7:41 PM
I talked to my son earlier today. He's doing pretty well with his adjustment. He said the book helped but he's not ready for a PFLAG meeting. I tiold him that was fin and the invitation is always open. He's just really busy with job stuff right now. He got promoted to assistant manager where he works and he's in the midst of training for the next couple weeks.

sk8er
Jul 10, 2009, 8:43 PM
Any time you need to talk just drop me a message. If I'm not around there are lots of others here to help too :-)
Thnx I will :P

Remember that no matter what your parents DO love you.
I wouldnt bet on it.