PDA

View Full Version : Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

TaylorMade
Jun 14, 2009, 5:08 PM
Obama defends DOMA in federal court. Says banning gay marriage is good for the federal budget. Invokes incest and marrying children.

by John Aravosis (DC) on 6/12/2009 09:44:00 AM

EXCERPT:

Joe and I have been trying since last night to get a copy of the government's brief just filed in this case. This is not the GLAD case that we've written about previously, it's another in California.

We just got the brief from reader Lavi Soloway. It's pretty despicable, and gratuitously homophobic. It reads as if it were written by one of George Bush's top political appointees. I cannot state strongly enough how damaging this brief is to us. Obama didn't just argue a technicality about the case, he argued that DOMA is reasonable. That DOMA is constitutional. That DOMA wasn't motivated by any anti-gay animus. He argued why our Supreme Court victories in Roemer and Lawrence shouldn't be interpreted to give us rights in any other area (which hurts us in countless other cases and battles). He argued that DOMA doesn't discriminate against us because it also discriminates about straight unmarried couples (ignoring the fact that they can get married and we can't).

The rest of the Blog Entry (http://www.americablog.com/2009/06/obama-justice-department-defends-doma.html)

IIOFD (In interest of Full Disclosure) : I didn't vote for Obama. I don't like Hillary much, but I don't think she'd of pulled a stunt like this.

Change? Where?

*Taylor*

texasman6172003
Jun 14, 2009, 5:28 PM
It is not like y'all should be surprised buy any of this BULLSHIT.. Cause that is what it is PURE BULLSHIT!!!!!

TaylorMade
Jun 14, 2009, 5:52 PM
It is not like y'all should be surprised buy any of this BULLSHIT.. Cause that is what it is PURE BULLSHIT!!!!!

I may not have voted for him, but I know that was NOT expected. Even the conservatives I know were taken by surprise by this.

*Taylor*

texasman6172003
Jun 14, 2009, 7:15 PM
Well Taylor ,A politician is allways 1st and foremost a POLITICIAN!!!

TaylorMade
Jun 14, 2009, 7:21 PM

I should know this by now, shouldn't I?

*Taylor*

recognize
Jun 14, 2009, 7:37 PM
Not suprizing at all :( Wish there were dollars we could beLIEve in and not just spare change

Georgie_Girl
Jun 14, 2009, 7:50 PM
*sighs and shakes head*

Doggiestyle
Jun 14, 2009, 11:02 PM
:( The only thing that we can do is just "grinn & bear it". If everbody thinks that this is bad just wait a while. I got a feeling that the whole world is in for a suprise, and not just certain groups, like the gay / bisexual folks. But americans in general. In other words the better is yet to come. GET READY!!! :yikes2: The problem is that Obama is just a puppet, like other politician's, controled by some sort of establishment or organization, for whatever reason, and Obama is just a "front man".

Just my :2cents: thoughts. Your friend, :doggie: :bipride:

Falke
Jun 15, 2009, 12:39 AM

Damnit, you beat me to it. I didn't vote for any of the clowns that were up for the election last year. Of course, I began referring to Obama as the Messiah for all the promise of hope and change that we were supposed to have. Let's face it the propagandists did a good job boosting him up and getting many to think he could practically walk on water. As usual, we get the same over-hyped tool who is screwing us just like the last guy did, the guy before him, etc.

I love the two party system! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, many,many people forgot the first rule of politics: DO NOT TRUST A POLITICIAN! *This goes regardless of party affiliation!*

Long Duck Dong
Jun 15, 2009, 7:00 AM
unfortunately, my words rang true...... I often said, that we could march til the cows come home, we could sing til the birds tell us to shut up, we could wave signs until we start flying.....but it doesn't mean a dammed thing until there is a signature on a paper of paper......and until that signature is there...... the LGBT will have gained nothing......

in nz, it took one politician to give us the civil union..... in the face of public opposition..... helen clark....... so we can hate the politicians, but without them... we have no rights....

Falke
Jun 15, 2009, 9:44 AM
unfortunately, my words rang true...... I often said, that we could march til the cows come home, we could sing til the birds tell us to shut up, we could wave signs until we start flying.....but it doesn't mean a dammed thing until there is a signature on a paper of paper......and until that signature is there...... the LGBT will have gained nothing......

in nz, it took one politician to give us the civil union..... in the face of public opposition..... helen clark....... so we can hate the politicians, but without them... we have no rights....

Who said anything about hating politicians?

Long Duck Dong
Jun 15, 2009, 10:02 AM
what is stopping me for running for office..... the fact that I can only please some of the people some of the time.....and no matter what I say or do, I will be in the shit.....

politicians and the law makers create the policies we either agree with or disagree with... but they make the policies that we generally abide by........its not what I am conditioned to beleive.... its a simple fact.....

I pay taxes, I did not decide what taxes I pay, nor how much, and I only pay taxes cos I have to eat and live and for the most part, that requires some form of income, and income is taxable......while I can live without working or a income, I have to live somewhere.... now depending on where I choose to life, I am either paying rent, board, lodgings or living in the bush or under a bridge, but then I am subject to laws and regulations......so while I may make my own rights, I am also restricted by my choice of lifestyle..... and my choice of lifestyle will limit my rights as I perceive my rights to be...

Long Duck Dong
Jun 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
Who said anything about hating politicians?

I did..... its in my statement......so I said it...... and lets be honest, not all politicians are loved.....

jamieknyc
Jun 15, 2009, 10:23 AM
People had inflated ideas that Obama was some sort of Messianic figure. Objectively, it shouldn't be surprising why a politician would say this. But people had ridiculous ideas about Obama, and now some of the air is being let out of their balloon.

jamieknyc
Jun 15, 2009, 11:11 AM
Obama has said for a long time that he does not support gay marriage. But I doubt that too many of his admirers actually read the copies of The Audacity of Hope that they bought.

IndyBiFun
Jun 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
This is indeed sad AND troubling but I think Obama is going to surprise many people that he smooth talked into voting for him. Keep an eye on your purse and wallet.

Herbwoman39
Jun 15, 2009, 12:49 PM
Yes, Obama said on his campaign page that he didn't support same sex marriage. But he ALSO said that he supported same sex unions. We haven't seen ANY evidence of that, that I'm aware of.

Obama is like a used car salesman. He said anything he had to to get you who voted for him to sign on the dotted line. Now that you've driven the shiny new car off the lot you realize what you've gotten is just another life-sucking lemon that will drain your pocket and your spirit dry.

I KNEW the man was full of shit. That's why I voted for McCain. At least with HIM you knew what you were getting. I'm amazed that anyone is surprised by this.

jamieknyc
Jun 15, 2009, 12:51 PM
I voted for Obama, but I was never one of those 'drunk the Kool-Aid' types about him, and I actually read his book. In fact, his voting record as a senator was more conservative than a lot of other leading Democrats. So I am not surprised.

Herbwoman39
Jun 15, 2009, 12:59 PM
Don't let yourself be paralyzed into submission.

It's VERY hard not to be disheartened though. I know the answer to the question I'm about to ask but I still have to ask it.

How many more times do we have to pick ourselves up after being knocked down by something like this?

The answer? At least one more.

jamieknyc
Jun 15, 2009, 1:57 PM
Why should you be knocked down in the first place? Obama never said he supported same-sex marriage.

Falke
Jun 15, 2009, 3:38 PM
Better question.
People don't earn rights by asking nicely.

Well said.

Oh, Long Duck Dong, I stand corrected!

Lateralus
Jun 15, 2009, 4:23 PM
Obama defends DOMA in federal court. Says banning gay marriage is good for the federal budget. Invokes incest and marrying children.

by John Aravosis (DC) on 6/12/2009 09:44:00 AM

EXCERPT:

Joe and I have been trying since last night to get a copy of the government's brief just filed in this case. This is not the GLAD case that we've written about previously, it's another in California.

We just got the brief from reader Lavi Soloway. It's pretty despicable, and gratuitously homophobic. It reads as if it were written by one of George Bush's top political appointees. I cannot state strongly enough how damaging this brief is to us. Obama didn't just argue a technicality about the case, he argued that DOMA is reasonable. That DOMA is constitutional. That DOMA wasn't motivated by any anti-gay animus. He argued why our Supreme Court victories in Roemer and Lawrence shouldn't be interpreted to give us rights in any other area (which hurts us in countless other cases and battles). He argued that DOMA doesn't discriminate against us because it also discriminates about straight unmarried couples (ignoring the fact that they can get married and we can't).

The rest of the Blog Entry (http://www.americablog.com/2009/06/obama-justice-department-defends-doma.html)

IIOFD (In interest of Full Disclosure) : I didn't vote for Obama. I don't like Hillary much, but I don't think she'd of pulled a stunt like this.

Change? Where?

*Taylor*

You gotta be fuckin kidding me. Now I see why Carlin said he didn't vote.

_Joe_
Jun 15, 2009, 4:32 PM
* shakes head *

genera101.2
Jun 15, 2009, 8:58 PM
FUCK!! and i was actually genuinly hoping he would be different.

Herbwoman39
Jun 15, 2009, 11:15 PM
Why should you be knocked down in the first place? Obama never said he supported same-sex marriage.

No, he didn't. But he DID say that he supported same sex unions. In the document he also equated same sex marriage to incest.

That's a pretty good reason to be pissed off.

pasco_lol_cpl
Jun 16, 2009, 1:23 AM
I may not have voted for him, but I know that was NOT expected. Even the conservatives I know were taken by surprise by this.

*Taylor*
Were you? his record and past statements on this always foreshadowed this. Im not shocked at all. Still disappointing though.

jamieknyc
Jun 16, 2009, 9:38 AM
Ever since Obama began running for president, there have been a huge number of leftist types going around advocating all sorts of ideas in Obama's name that Obama himself never said he supported. This is just one of them.