PDA

View Full Version : News article makes ya scream :YOU JUST DID

TwylaTwobits
May 20, 2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/weird/Dallas_Twins_Fathered_by_2_Men

Some people are just ummmm there is not a strong enough adjective to describe the stupidity in this woman's actions. Last line really got me....sigh

Cherokee_Mountaincat
May 21, 2009, 12:11 AM
Theres a case of a woman in Calif that has one white baby and one black and they are twins too. Evidently she was at One Wild party one night....:}
Cat:three:

allbimyself
May 21, 2009, 9:39 AM
"According to the paternity test, there’s a 99.999 percent chance Justin and Jordan do not have the same father, and zero percent chance they do."

And 0.001 percent chance of what exactly? Someone failed basic math.

hudson9
May 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
And 0.001 percent chance of what exactly?

Immaculate conception.
:tong:

Georgie_Girl
May 21, 2009, 10:56 AM
Theres a case of a woman in Calif that has one white baby and one black and they are twins too. Evidently she was at One Wild party one night....:}
Cat:three:

I saw a show about them, their parents used a fertility clinic, and the people didn't clean the equipment thoroughly enough I think. :)

allbimyself
May 21, 2009, 3:37 PM
Immaculate conception.
:tong:
ROFLMAO

jamieknyc
May 21, 2009, 5:27 PM
"According to the paternity test, there’s a 99.999 percent chance Justin and Jordan do not have the same father, and zero percent chance they do."

Actually, there is a 1-2 % chance of laboratory error. The minute percentage error is supposedly the chance that the other putative father has similar DNA to the first one. [once had to try a paternity case....never again!]

allbimyself
May 21, 2009, 5:41 PM
Uh, yeah. So?

There are only two possibilities; either they have the same father or they don't... whether there's a mistake in the test or not doesn't change that. There are only two possibilities. If it can't be one, it HAS to be the other. You can't say one possibility is less than a 100% and at the same time say that the other possibility is 0%.

jamieknyc
May 21, 2009, 6:18 PM
Uh, yeah. So?

There are only two possibilities; either they have the same father or they don't... whether there's a mistake in the test or not doesn't change that. There are only two possibilities. If it can't be one, it HAS to be the other. You can't say one possibility is less than a 100% and at the same time say that the other possibility is 0%.

It's also possible that there could be a false positive, or false negative.

allbimyself
May 21, 2009, 6:29 PM
It's also possible that there could be a false positive, or false negative.Irrelevant. The base premise is: do the two boys have the same father? There are only two possible answers to that question. They are 99.999% certain that they don't. Given that, there is NOT A ZERO PERCENT CHANCE THAT THEY HAVE THE SAME FATHER! Whether the reason for not being 100% certain is that there might be an error doesn't factor into the probability. When calculating the possibilities of the outcomes of an event, the sum of the probability of each happening HAS to be 100%.

You may be a lawyer that has been involved with paternity cases. I am a mathematician and a logician. Just because this involves a paternity test doesn't change logic and math.

lambdasuture
May 23, 2009, 1:11 AM

it's room for error.. they can't be 100% sure..

that's what i think..

PolyLoveTriad
May 23, 2009, 2:12 AM
Not all twins are identical and have different facial features... unless one was white or black, and the other say maybe asian, how could you tell on non identical twins? Why would you even think of it? Unless one has asian eyes, or maybe a different color...

allbimyself
May 23, 2009, 9:59 AM
it's room for error.. they can't be 100% sure..

that's what i think..Exactly, which is why the opposite can't be a 0% chance!