PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO--Somebody slap me!

vittoria
May 18, 2009, 10:25 AM
http://ohellnawlblog.com/newohnblog/2009/05/18/the-renewed-mind-is-the-keyyyy/#comment-40556

Sometimes I wonder about my fellow humans!!!

TwylaTwobits
May 18, 2009, 10:48 AM
wow...that was bad but did anyone else notice they didn't trust the guy to hold a hand mic? proof only women can multitask even with God's help and a renewed mind.

12voltman59
May 18, 2009, 12:33 PM
I had to go BARF at that one---modern christian music to me tends to be so frackin' lame!!

I do enjoy good, get down Black gospel, along with Bluegrass Gospel too, and also find some of the most profound and touching songs that contain a powerful spiritual message can sometimes be songs that are "secular" in nature and origin.

I also like many of the traditional religious songs like "Amazing Grace" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?"

The video of this trio was way too Lawrence Welkish for my tastes--but I bet the preacher and those in the audience were thinking it was great stuff---since it was praising God and all ---which seems to be the only goal of such music!!

I guess to "each his own" but it seems to me that in order to like that music-- it goes to show to me----when you sign up to be a modern fundamentalist Christian---you have to leave your critical skills regarding what is good music, as you must suspend those skills for so many things, at the door!!!

Uggghhh--I could only stand about a minute or so of that vid I have to say!!

I have to go now to get me something sweet to get rid of the taste of barf outta my mouth!

:yikes2::yikes2::yikes2::crosseye::crosseye::eek2: :eek2::eek::eek::eek:

PS-I did go back and make myself watch the entire vid----are these people for real or what??? I am sorry--when I watch the religious programs on channels like TBN or others and see stuff like this--I always say to myself---"Either I am an alien or they are!! How can I inhabit the same space-time continum as these beings--let alone the same country and that they are white skinned and so am I???" Profound questions like that!!!!!!

Holmes
May 18, 2009, 1:28 PM
All I can say is WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!? Bad song cheesy dance moves all while trying to look hip to the crowd and probably to the kids in the audience. All the while the kids are thinking these guys are tools

FalconAngel
May 18, 2009, 2:04 PM
All I can say is WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!? Bad song cheesy dance moves all while trying to look hip to the crowd and probably to the kids in the audience. All the while the kids are thinking these guys are tools

You got that right.

And Volty, the only traditional religious song that sounds any good is "Amazing Grace", but only when played on the Bagpipes. :bigrin:

12voltman59
May 18, 2009, 2:12 PM
You got that right.

And Volty, the only traditional religious song that sounds any good is "Amazing Grace", but only when played on the Bagpipes. :bigrin:

I agree that Amazing Grace is great played on the pipes---as long as ya have a good player--but I have heard Amazing Grace done many ways--in Bluegrass style, a contemporary jazz version, simply done on the guitar or seeing Ralph Stanley do it in concert without musical accompaniment and done in a "call and respond" manner with the audience responding as was once done in churches in the heart of Appalachia----it was very moving to have everyone in the audience singing in response to Dr. Stanley's haunting, old mountain style singing.

Stanley was the person who sang "Oh Death" on the film "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Vikkster230
May 18, 2009, 2:56 PM
Amazing Grace sung in Cherokee is just as beautiful as bagpipes...

Cherokee_Mountaincat
May 18, 2009, 6:11 PM
Yes it is Vikkster. :} I'm sure that these folks thought they were doing good for their religion, and I say that if that's their bag, then Spirits bless, and more power to 'em.
(I Just hope they dont quit their day jobs and decide ta take it on the road....);)
Cat

rissababynta
May 18, 2009, 7:14 PM
I remember seeing that once before...I think on TV...and the whole time I felt so embarassed for them haha.

jem_is_bi
May 18, 2009, 11:15 PM
As entertainment, that was awful.
As spiritual inspiration, that was awful.
Nice suit.

FalconAngel
May 18, 2009, 11:38 PM
Amazing Grace sung in Cherokee is just as beautiful as bagpipes...

Never heard it in Cherokee. If you have a link to one, would love to hear it.

wolfcamp
May 19, 2009, 12:59 AM
That was like a bad weed experience. (which I have only heard about)

How do you find this stuff??

hudson9
May 19, 2009, 3:29 PM
The problem with most modern Christian music is it is so totally mindless. This was nothing but platitude. Traditional Black Gospel music was about finding some hope for life and salvation despite slavery and Jim Crow. "Old-Timey" (white) Gospel was also about finding comfort and hope in a hardscrabble existence.

Listen to the lyrics of "Amazing Grace" and you KNOW the author has lived on the Dark Side. Too much of modern Christian music is about simplistic, mindless repetition of "God is cool" and "hooray for God" and "we love God." There's no exploration of what "God" means to real life, or the real implications and costs of living a spiritual life in the Real World. It's more about AVOIDING the difficult questions with platitudes like "He gives us the power to win!" -- Win what? The battle of Good vs. Evil, no doubt -- well gee, EVERYBODY wants "Good" to win -- the hard part is identifying what really IS Good and Evil. There's damn little absolute black and white in this gray-scale world. And mindlessly mimicking some "cool" dance moves is not going to add any spiritual or intellectual weight to mindless drivel either.

Geez -- this turned into a rant, didn't it? And I actually consider myself basically a Christian -- but a Christian more along the lines of "Amazing Grace" rather than this simplistic drivel.
:2cents:

12voltman59
May 20, 2009, 11:21 AM
The problem with most modern Christian music is it is so totally mindless. This was nothing but platitude. Traditional Black Gospel music was about finding some hope for life and salvation despite slavery and Jim Crow. "Old-Timey" (white) Gospel was also about finding comfort and hope in a hardscrabble existence.

Listen to the lyrics of "Amazing Grace" and you KNOW the author has lived on the Dark Side. Too much of modern Christian music is about simplistic, mindless repetition of "God is cool" and "hooray for God" and "we love God." There's no exploration of what "God" means to real life, or the real implications and costs of living a spiritual life in the Real World. It's more about AVOIDING the difficult questions with platitudes like "He gives us the power to win!" -- Win what? The battle of Good vs. Evil, no doubt -- well gee, EVERYBODY wants "Good" to win -- the hard part is identifying what really IS Good and Evil. There's damn little absolute black and white in this gray-scale world. And mindlessly mimicking some "cool" dance moves is not going to add any spiritual or intellectual weight to mindless drivel either.

Geez -- this turned into a rant, didn't it? And I actually consider myself basically a Christian -- but a Christian more along the lines of "Amazing Grace" rather than this simplistic drivel.
:2cents:

I could not agree more with ya!!!

Like I said too---some very "religious songs" can come from some different sources---Steve Earle along with the Del McCoury Band did a great bluegrass themed album back in the late 90s or early 2000s called "The Mountain"--on that--the end cut is a song called "Pilgrim" which is a very moving song of a spiritual/religious nature and there is the traditional version of another song also called "Pilgrim" too----famed folk singer Doc Watson does a great version of this on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Vol III" which like the two previous volumes, features varied artists performing versions of the music of the first family of country music, The Carters.

Another, at least to me, moving song that I thought had deep meaning was Joan Osbourne's "What If God Was One of Us?"---that song to me was very moving---I must not have been alone--it was once used in a very dramatic scene in an episode of one of the all time great TV shows, "Homicide: Life on the Street." and in a recent episode of "Cold Case" as an endcap musical piece that summed up the events of the episode.

I remember when that song was such a hit---I had surfed into one of those fundy Christian shows that focused on youth----the guy doing the show was commenting on the song and of course, tore it apart as actually being anti-God and all---I just thought to myself how thick that guy was---Osbourne's song was not written to be served "to the choir" of those who were already confirmed believers as it were---it was written from the aspect of the vast majority of people who live lives of desperation and feel that if there is a God--he has abandoned them and this world.

I think that Osbourne was making the point--that if God did pay attention to "those who ride the bus like the rest of us"--perhaps life would not be so desolate and hopeless for so many people.

Of course, the guy on the show didn't like it because her song was not praising God, but questioning "Him" for seemingly turning a blind eye to the suffering of the vast mass of humanity.

I can tell you--I find lots of music---not specifically set out to be "religious" to be far more profound and spiritual/religious than most of the crap they set out to be "praising God."

I do bet though---the group in the video is most likely successful from a financial aspect----they had all the accompanying tools of the professional music trade---their backing musicians were of good quality and they had expensive sound equipment and musical instruments--I don't have to tell anyone who knows that if you buy good quality sound and light equipment and musical instruments--you are dropping some serious green.

They do have their niche market--so you have to hand it to them on that score.

I can tell ya--I won't be buying any of the CDs and/or videos I am sure they produce!!!!

tg Shannon
May 20, 2009, 8:20 PM
This video prooves it, GOD does have a sense of humor!!! however I would do the blonde in a heart beat....aw hell, I'd do all three of em:tong:

12voltman59
May 20, 2009, 8:24 PM
This video prooves it, GOD does have a sense of humor!!! however I would do the blonde in a heart beat....aw hell, I'd do all three of em:tong:

You devil person, you! Thinking of these Godly people as sex objects!!!!!! How evil and terrible you are--YOU ARE GOING TO HELL!!!!!:bigrin::bigrin::bigrin::bigrin: