PDA

View Full Version : Pride Parade

maddog52
May 12, 2009, 5:50 PM
In Long Beach, Calif. this weekend ( May 16th. and 17th.) is the LGBT Pride festival and parade. I'm going and I hope to meet some of my fellow group members there.

If you're near by why not go and check it out !! :flag3: :three:

bityme
May 12, 2009, 6:35 PM
I plan to be out there on Sunday the 17th. Granddaughter's birthday on Saturday so that takes priority.

IanBorthwick
May 12, 2009, 9:02 PM
CherryBlossom74 and I will be there on Saturday, and we'll be wearing Bi Pride SHirts.

In previous posts I stated mine will say:

Bisexual

Not Greedy

Not Confused

CherryBlossom74 changed hers to one that says:

No, You're confused I am Bisexual
Not 50% gay, not 50% Straight. 100% Bi

Look for us.

IanBorthwick
May 13, 2009, 11:29 PM
Bump this back to the TOP as there is no mention of this even in your calendar there Drew.

IanBorthwick
May 15, 2009, 9:23 PM
Ok, so tomorrow is the day. I'll be at the LB Pride after 2PM and intend to stay until Smash Mouth is done singing. Might want to look for the white BiPride SHirts.

maddog52
May 15, 2009, 10:07 PM
I have to do the parade in the morning and early afternoon. I wish I could meet you both but maybe some other time. Have fun and tell lots of people to check out our group. We need more local members. ;):bibounce:

IanBorthwick
May 16, 2009, 12:00 AM
Why would you not be able to meet us if we're going to be there til 10PM?

maddog52
May 16, 2009, 7:03 PM
Why would you not be able to meet us if we're going to be there til 10PM?

I went at 11:ooam on Saturday morning and left at about 3:00 pm. Lots of people and I was pretty tired by the time I left BUT I really enjoyed the whole scene. This was my first parade and I am just now comming out,as they say, and I totally felt at home, comfortable and relaxed I bougth a pride t shirt and put it on with a pride dog tag I also bougth there.

I am beginnig to realize that for most of my life I have been pretty much 2 dimensional but today I really felt I could be who I really am. I felt 3 dimensional and OUT ! I guess now I have to tell the rest of my family.

Love to you both.

:bipride:

bityme
May 17, 2009, 5:04 AM
I am beginnig to realize that for most of my life I have been pretty much 2 dimensional but today I really felt I could be who I really am. I felt 3 dimensional and OUT ! I guess now I have to tell the rest of my family.:bipride:

I'm not sure who you mean when you speak of family. I know that you are recently widowed. I was a year and a half ago and I know how devastating it can be.

My wife and I did not disclose to our, now adult, children the fact that we were bi, and I see no reason for them to know, or ever. As far as they are concerned, I'll maintain the image the wife and I had when she was alive. I'll visit with my grandchildren, attend family functions, and carry on as we had for 20 years.

I personally do not see any advantage in complicating their lives. I do not know what their reaction would be and I don't want to change the close family relationship we do have. My kids know that my wife and I had and I continue to have both gay and straight friends. They have never asked about our or my sex life and if they had they would have been and would be told it is none of their business.

If at some time in the future I get "outed" I will have to deal with it.

I know that my outlook is considerably different than many on this site who talk about getting out of the closet, being honest and open. But, I think it is a question of what they need to know, not the requirement that I make a proclamation to all of mankind.

Of course, if you are moving in with a male lover and he will be with you for Thanksgiving and Christmas, then there are other considerations.

Weigh the consequences of the disclosure carefully. Don't let the emotions of feeling good following your first pride parade make you jump into something.

Just my :2cents: .

maddog52
May 17, 2009, 4:12 PM
I like to pretty much use this forum as a place to help me come to terms with what I am feeling and experiencing in dealing with some very strong feelings I have been supressing for at least the past 25 years. I now have the chance and desire to follow these emotions and " find myself " as they say

I have the utmost respect for everyone, but not everyone is the same or in the same situation. My decision to tell my family anything at all is my decision alone and will no doubt be a very difficult one. I don't like secrets and I tell everyone that I meet through groups like this one or from personal ads that the one thing I am is honest.

I appreciate all the well intentioned advise I read in the forums and I don't want any of the group members to stop commenting on my posts. Just be happy that I am finding out who I might really be and I am ( so far ) enjoying the journey. :)

bityme
May 17, 2009, 4:27 PM
I like to pretty much use this forum as a place to help me come to terms with what I am feeling and experiencing in dealing with some very strong feelings I have been supressing for at least the past 25 years. I now have the chance and desire to follow these emotions and " find myself " as they say

I have the utmost respect for everyone, but not everyone is the same or in the same situation. My decision to tell my family anything at all is my decision alone and will no doubt be a very difficult one. I don't like secrets and I tell everyone that I meet through groups like this one or from personal ads that the one thing I am is honest.

I appreciate all the well intentioned advise I read in the forums and I don't want any of the group members to stop commenting on my posts. Just be happy that I am finding out who I might really be and I am ( so far ) enjoying the journey. :)

I apologize if I was too strong in what I said. It's just that I have seen some traumatic results when someone comes out. I have also seen many accepting families.

You are absolutely correct that each one of us is different. And your decision is yours alone. I hope that your expereince is one of the better ones. In any case, you have my support, no matter what you do.

IanBorthwick
May 17, 2009, 10:27 PM
We stayed there until 10 PM on Saturday and saw Smashmouth, and had a pretty good time getting compliments on our shirts now and then. We passed a pub on the way in called the Dubliner and thought we saw Bityme eating outside. Of course, it could have been a double for all we knew, and since we weren't sure, we went to the festival straight away.