PDA

View Full Version : TREK IS BACK!!! and it's kickin' Ass!!!!

12voltman59
May 8, 2009, 6:35 PM
I just got back from seeing my first screening of the new Trek film---I don't know about what others might feel--but I am a happy camper.

Kudos to JJ Abrams and Company---they have crafted a new Trek for a new era!!!

I think all but the most diehard purists will have to like this film---it is FINALLY-the Trek film that I have always been waiting for.

You do come to accept these new young actors as the characters they portray---the special effects, sets, production design and all is pitch perfect----for the first time in any Trek film or show----you feel that you are in the scenes yourself----I like the gritty, somewhat beat up touch they did to many things---as though it is stuff that is really used--used in a tough environment such as space.

They also actually had a "big story" that is fit and proper for "the big screen," something most of the Trek films lacked--at least I am sorry to say that was lacking in the Next Gen series of films.

They also did something I was afraid they might not capture----the bits of underlying humor that Trek always had, they inject it even in the midst of much action and serious situations.

A few weekends ago---I had seen my buddy who does makeup for films--he did Leonard Nimoy's makeup for this film--sorry to report that this is the only one of the new Trek films Nimoy is going to do.

My buddy had seen the film in its entirety before now---he said it was kick ass and I agree with him--and with the focus groups they had done on it over the course of the past year--- Paramount determined it should be a big blockbuster----so much so--they are already doing pre-production for the next film in the series--I did read in USA Today last week that they have a trilogy planned.

Well for Trek fans---I hope ya love this film---it should even draw in those who were not so hot on Trek----it is a good film for those of its type.

I am going to go see it one night next week in IMAX--that should be frackin' awesome!!!

Got a few more films out there that look good for "summer" viewing--the new Terminator film looks promising and I am sure going to see "Angels and Demons"----they say it might be even bigger than "The DaVinci Code" was!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
May 8, 2009, 9:24 PM
Hey Volty, you buy the nachos, I'll buy the sodas...lol
Cat

Lonewolf76
May 8, 2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks Volty. I am HUGGEEE Trek fan - but not so caught up to be a "Purist" - so I really loved your review. I think I'm going to sit back and enjoy!! Wolfie

ghytifrdnr
May 9, 2009, 12:50 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I've read both The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons, and I think A&D is definitely the better story.

:2cents:

codybear3
May 9, 2009, 1:51 AM
I've been a trekkie (trekker for the new age) and have always liked the series... D-S 9 didn't do much for me but ST:TNG, ST: Voyager and the short running series Enterprise were faves... Next Gen movies were like the TV shows only stretched to fit an hour and a half of film requirement (if theres such a thing)... I have kept up with the all the fanfare and previews of the new movie and so far it looks good... I won't get to see it till 05/10/09... Now here is sumting that makes this trekker happy, Gene Roddenberry, creator of the Star Trek series, was born in my hometown not too far from where I grew up...:bigrin::paw::paw:

Gene Roddenberry
Born: 19 August 1921
Birthplace: El Paso, Texas
Died: 24 October 1991
Best Known As: Creator of TV's Star Trek

Cherokee_Mountaincat
May 9, 2009, 2:19 AM
Out of context for a moment:: Hey Gyht, drop me a line would ya please? Its hard to get a'holt of ya if you cant recieve Im or emails..lol
Thanks Hon
Cat

_Joe_
May 9, 2009, 9:18 AM
I saw it, and I thought "Meh".

I dunno why, I like Star Trek, and I love sci - fi. Maybe its because this movie has been forcefed to us for the past several months from every single angle that I finally just got tired of it. I mean, how many movies get months in advance promotions from car insurance companies on top of fast food joints .. along with normal commercials, adverts in other movies, pop ups online, etc etc etc etc.

I did come out thinking with this Pilot movie they shoudl start a series with the actors.

Good deal there's a trilogy in the works.

Georgie_Girl
May 9, 2009, 10:36 AM
Never watched Star Trek, never wanted to. Saw the movie and loved it. :) My husband was excited that the actor who plays Spock is also Sylar in Heroes. Zachary Quinto, that's his name. :)

shybipinay
May 9, 2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks Volty. I am HUGGEEE Trek fan - but not so caught up to be a "Purist" - so I really loved your review. I think I'm going to sit back and enjoy!! Wolfie

What he said

Bi-Zarro
May 9, 2009, 11:27 PM
I've only ever been the most casual of Trek fans, so the fact that this movie is a reboot (alternate timeline, whatever) doesn't bug me at all. I'm looking forward to seeing it. And yeah, Zachary Quinto looks CUTE!! as Spock (which is just weird -- Leonard Nimoy's Spock was never cute -- they're just not words that belong in the same sentence!).

evilpanda
May 10, 2009, 12:51 AM
it was an honor to serve on the Enterprise. i wore red in the film... and i survived till the end. i am happy.

Biboz49
May 10, 2009, 11:07 AM
I saw it last night and thought it was great. Looking forward to the next one.

vittoria
May 10, 2009, 12:54 PM
Spock and Uhura ...

Nuff said!!

:cool:

Live long and prosper,

V

12voltman59
May 10, 2009, 1:16 PM
Spock and Uhura ...

Nuff said!!

:cool:

Live long and prosper,

V

That was cool and my God--that actress playing Uhura!!!! Whooaa Nellie she is a hottie!!!!!!!

I did see something on the tube--on the TV Guide Channel they were running a show about the premiere of the movie---they interviewed Nimoy---he changed what he had told my buddy---he indicated he might do another turn as "Spock Prime" as they put it with the graphics under his name---he said "I will never say never"--so maybe Nimoy might be back as Spock---I wonder if they might find a way to bring back Shat for one more turn as "Kirk Prime"--I have to say---I would find that to be cool---he'd have to lose about thirty or forty pounds though to pull it off!!!! :bigrin:

I did think it cool too---young Kirk was shaggin' a green female Orion hottie!!!!

Lonewolf76
May 10, 2009, 1:26 PM
My daughter and I saw it last night - 6 stars out of 5!! It was awesome. Kept you on the edge of your seat the entire time. JJ was loyal to the series and it was extremely well done. My daughter (who is a HUGE x-men fan) said it blew Wolverine away in quality and action. High marks coming from her. A definite MUST SEE! Wolfie

Catalina
May 10, 2009, 4:23 PM
Saw it Friday night, LOVED it!! Much more enjoyable than going to my senior prom. :)

12voltman59
May 11, 2009, 4:31 AM
Trek won the weekend box office tally---with a take approaching $80 million---that is a bit over half of the cost to make the film---a few more days and they have that--by the time the film opens worldwide on screen and then goes to DVD/downloads----it will be a huge hit.

Since they did such a good job---I am glad to see that a Trek film has now done so well--it is one of the biggest openings of any of the previous ten Trek films---I would say that if the next films are done as well------we have entered the next era of Trek and it will live for another 40 years or so.

Live Long and Prosper!!!

hudson9
May 11, 2009, 4:19 PM
Yea, I saw it on Sat. (in IMAX). I had approached it with a mixture of excitement and apprehension -- wasn't sure these young whipper-snappers would really "get" the soul of Roddenberry's vision, but...

I'm convinced!!

Wow. There was actually spontaneous applause at several points throughout the movie (how often does that happen?) -- mostly at points where the characters really connected to their "classic" personas.

In summary -- A fine time was had by all!

12voltman59
May 11, 2009, 9:49 PM
Yea, I saw it on Sat. (in IMAX). I had approached it with a mixture of excitement and apprehension -- wasn't sure these young whipper-snappers would really "get" the soul of Roddenberry's vision, but...

I'm convinced!!

Wow. There was actually spontaneous applause at several points throughout the movie (how often does that happen?) -- mostly at points where the characters really connected to their "classic" personas.

In summary -- A fine time was had by all!

The same thing happened during the showing I saw--and people laughed at appropriate moments of humor----it is great that they did such a good job on this film---it is a financial, critical and fan success it does seem---I am sure some people don't like it--and are pissed off at certain things---but you sure can't please everyone!!

I do hope that JJ Abrams is at the helm for the next versions.

He and his production people sure hit the mark on this one.

vittoria
May 11, 2009, 11:05 PM
I had approached it with a mixture of excitement and apprehension -- wasn't sure these young whipper-snappers would really "get" the soul of Roddenberry's vision, but...

I'm convinced!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

McCoy giving Kirk all kinds of hypos... hysterical!!! Dammit Jim!!!

Who ever cast the part of McCoy had him SPOT ON!! Flippin amazing!

12voltman59
May 12, 2009, 7:20 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

McCoy giving Kirk all kinds of hypos... hysterical!!! Dammit Jim!!!

Who ever cast the part of McCoy had him SPOT ON!! Flippin amazing!

I wonder if in the next film---they will have a scene that "Bones" tells Kirk---"This man's dead, Jim!"

and----the guys and gals wearing the red shirts get killed in the prologue scene!!! :bigrin::bigrin::bigrin::bigrin:

chulainn2
May 12, 2009, 1:53 PM
I saw Star Trek Sunday and it absolutely ROCKS!!
Want to see it again. Best Star Trek movie since Wrath of Khan.

Holmes
May 13, 2009, 9:44 AM
saw it yesterday and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if they did go away from the cannon which is the original series ( Boy does that make me sound geeky or what?) but it was well explaioned and plausaible.

vittoria
May 13, 2009, 4:26 PM
I saw Star Trek Sunday and it absolutely ROCKS!!
Want to see it again. Best Star Trek movie since Wrath of Khan.

A-Men Brother!!! :)

(even tho i do still like the voyage home--keptain... there be whales here!..., the undiscovered country--which has some fkkn AWESOME one liners in it "We need breathing room!" "Earth, Hitler, 1938!!" and McCoy's infamous "What is it with you anyway?!?!?" when Kirk kissed Iman's character who in real life is married to M'dOOd David Bowie beeyotch!!!---, and first contact rocked some serious sox...)

BTW... anyone notice the trend in Trek movies to have some kind of Rockin music?

Randypan
May 13, 2009, 4:34 PM
BEST FUKIN MOVIE EVER!!! :bounce: Saw it in IMAX. If you get a chance, it's a must.

hudson9
May 14, 2009, 1:12 PM
...I do hope that JJ Abrams is at the helm for the next versions...

As long as it doesn't take him away from Lost -- my other secret pleasure...
:)

justbime
May 14, 2009, 4:17 PM
Not as Good as Wrath of Khan..but frig'in awesome!!!! See it in IMAX if you can.

12voltman59
May 14, 2009, 11:38 PM
As long as it doesn't take him away from Lost -- my other secret pleasure...
:)

By the time the next Trek film comes out--"Lost" will be history, so I understand--I think that next season is it for that show so its not going to take JJ Abrams away from work on Lost---he did this incredible film in the midst of Lost being at its high point--so he must have a great reserve of energy and creative talent.

I went to see Trek again this evening at an IMAX theater---and it was as every bit as good watching it the second time in terms of the story---for the visuals--it was awesome. This time, I actually got to sit back to pay more attention to the story itself, the acting and other details--it was even better seeing it the second time around--and seeing it on a full size IMAX screen with the kicked up sound made the experience even better----

I have to say-before this--Wrath of Khan was my fave Trek film with Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country tied for second--this film takes first place and moves the other films down a notch---the first Trek film was OK in that it kicked Trek back off again----Trek III was so-so at best and Trek V really sucked rotten eggs---unfortunately---none of the Next Gen films were worth a crap, there were far better episodes when the show was on the tube than any of those four films were.