PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Trolls in Chat

alegrias
Apr 30, 2009, 3:11 PM
If you see someone in the chatroom that continually makes offensive comments, PLEASE, PLEASE use your "iggy" button. (Newbies, right click on their name and then click on ignore.)

Trolls, like some children, thrive on attention--positive or negative. If you insult them back, it just encourages them. On the other hand, if you ignore them, they usually stop or go away. You're also lowering yourself to their level when you respond with similar insults.

And, frankly, I don't want to read your insults any more than I want to read their insults. So then my choices are "iggy" everybody who responds to the troll . . . or I can just leave chat. :(

I go into chat to have pleasant, supportive conversations with people, not to watch people hurl insults at each other.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Apr 30, 2009, 10:30 PM
Sorry Al. I'll be good from now on when a Certain Troll comes in.
My apologies...:(
Bad Cat :disgust::disgust:

chook
May 1, 2009, 2:49 AM
Sorry Al. I'll be good from now on when a Certain Troll comes in.
My apologies...:(
Bad Cat :disgust::disgust:

I won't, I'll give the prick heaps :disgust:

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

stroke1man
May 1, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Alegrias,

Your are very correct here. The iggy button is always available. If you do need to ridicule em do it in pm mode with a freind. Did this a couple of days ago and it was great fun. Just watched fool be a fool and commented to each other out of everyones way.

See you soon

Stroke1man:2cents:

alegrias
May 1, 2009, 2:50 PM
Ty Cat and Stroke. Chook, can you send him your comments privately, like Stroke?

csrakate
May 1, 2009, 3:25 PM
Alegrias,
I think a lot of people think that if they don't respond that the troll feels like they are getting away with the asinine comments that they make. I know I have been guilty of responding in the past but it's done nothing more than frustrate me further and it only seems to stimulate even more comments. I know of the particular troll that you may be referring to and it's been difficult for me to keep my mouth shut in the room since he always delights in making comments about me and he further exacerbates the situation by sending me pm's which I always ignore....but try to understand that people have different ways of dealing with it....and while it does disrupt the chat, it just happens and we can't regulate how others react. Someone suggested the other night that if another chatter's responses bother you, you can simply put them on iggy as well...that way you don't have to suffer through the volleys between them.

I know it's an unpleasant situation, but not one that has an easy solution to.

Hugs,
Kate

chook
May 1, 2009, 5:30 PM
Ty Cat and Stroke. Chook, can you send him your comments privately, like Stroke?

Sorry Aleg, I dont know how many chat rooms you have visited but you'll always get a person who's whole purpose in life is to disrurpt that room and I'm afraid that no amount of iggy's or firing back nasty remarks will do anything to deter the person, they live off that sort of stuff. On the other hand I agree with Kate that if you aren't happy in which way the chat is going you can ignore the people involved or you can simply leave the room and come back later.....just my :2cents:

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

BTW, what stroke does is of no concern to me and as you'll get to know me better you'll see that I really dont take all that much to seriously.....just ask anyone :)

alegrias
May 1, 2009, 5:47 PM
i respect my friends' opinions. but based on what i've learned about the human psyche over the years, i still say if you respond to the trolls, you're givin em what they want. and they just keep coming back for more. if you iggy them, they just get bored and go away.

sometimes ignoring someone is the best punishment of all.

PansexualGuy
May 1, 2009, 8:45 PM
i respect my friends' opinions. but based on what i've learned about the human psyche over the years, i still say if you respond to the trolls, you're givin em what they want. and they just keep coming back for more. if you iggy them, they just get bored and go away.

sometimes ignoring someone is the best punishment of all.

I agree.
im lucky I havent met any trolls yet

rissababynta
May 1, 2009, 8:53 PM
Don't make me get my youtube clip again!

pdrap
May 1, 2009, 9:45 PM
If you see someone in the chatroom that continually makes offensive comments, PLEASE, PLEASE use your "iggy" button. (Newbies, right click on their name and then click on ignore.)

Trolls, like some children, thrive on attention--positive or negative. If you insult them back, it just encourages them. On the other hand, if you ignore them, they usually stop or go away. You're also lowering yourself to their level when you respond with similar insults.

And, frankly, I don't want to read your insults any more than I want to read their insults. So then my choices are "iggy" everybody who responds to the troll . . . or I can just leave chat. :(

I go into chat to have pleasant, supportive conversations with people, not to watch people hurl insults at each other.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gee, I never even knew there were such members as these "troll"; I guess there are some a-holes everywhere. alas.

allbimyself
May 1, 2009, 11:36 PM
Someone suggested the other night that if another chatter's responses bother you, you can simply put them on iggy as well...that way you don't have to suffer through the volleys between them.

I know it's an unpleasant situation, but not one that has an easy solution to.

Hugs,
KateAlegrias said just that, kate. And I agree. Also, if you iggied them you wouldn't have to think about whether or not you should respond. Think about it.

Let this be a notice to my friends. If you are feeding the trolls and I'm not replying to you, it's probably because I iggied you, too.