PDA

View Full Version : no chat 4 me??

SpicyMeatBall.JS
May 6, 2005, 10:07 PM
I am having a problem getting into the chat room..can anyone help me?? I get the connect button, but nothing happens...I have turned off the pop up blocker and everything??? pls help... :(

SpicyMeatBall.JS
May 6, 2005, 10:37 PM
I will just post in the forums until someone helps me..but its just not the same... ;)

xoxox

curious married m
May 7, 2005, 10:28 PM
hey It is Curious Married M and we all are having problems getting to chat. I know your new and some of us were informed by friends we had on yahoo. But I saw you here and thought I would give you a big hug and hope to chat soon. This happens on occasions for a few days but don't give up.
:)

Brian
May 8, 2005, 5:06 AM
This image here expresses exactly how I feel about the chat service right now: :banghead:

Grrrr, did you guys know I am paying $250.00 US per month for the audio-video chat? I figured it would be worth it for the video capability, but the ongoing reliability issues just about have my blood boiling. Sigh. And of course the chat provider does not provide any techinical support on weekends. :yikes2:

Sorry for the problems gang.

I might just leave the old chat up forever - but it breaks my heart to lose that video capability. I'll have to think about it. Your thoughts on the topic are welcome.

- Drew :paw:

julie
May 8, 2005, 6:23 PM
I sympathise with all the frustration around getting into the chat room. I could never get into the old chat room but, until it went down this time, could always access the new one. Now the old ones back I cant get into it :banghead: so frustrating..

So selfishly Drew, I really dont want you to stick with the old system because I value chatting with folks on here and dont want to lose that :(

I wish you luck though because whatever you do you won't please everybody :rolleyes:

DangerMan
May 8, 2005, 8:09 PM
I'm unable to connect to the "old" chat as well. I'm getting a "not connected" message.

Brian
May 8, 2005, 10:31 PM
I'm unable to connect to the "old" chat as well. I'm getting a "not connected" message. That's the problem that some folks were having with the old chat. The solution is to keep refreshing the page until you get in.

julie
May 9, 2005, 6:49 PM
That's the problem that some folks were having with the old chat. The solution is to keep refreshing the page until you get in.

But it doesnt work Drew! I've spent a lot of time pressing the refresh button to no avail, I've renewed Java and even used different servers but nothing changes :(

Brian
May 9, 2005, 11:20 PM
Hmmm.

I hate Java. If the refresh doesn't work then I don't know what else to suggest. It seems like no matter what chat program we use, there are always some people who can't get it to work for them. I'm thinking of trying yet another chat program in the coming week or so, maybe that will fix the problems that some people are still having.

hudson9
May 10, 2005, 12:18 AM
Just my $.02 -- I had less trouble w/ the video chat. Took a while to load sometimes, but if I just left it there, it would load after a while. Most times started right up. Tonight I had to refresh, and refresh, and refresh...

...and refresh...

:2cents:

morenito
May 10, 2005, 2:17 AM
Hi all, it may be that i'm just lucky or something, but i seem to have no problems loading/using the old chat system, when i use my SBCyahoo browser. Netscape, however, would never open...so my suggestion to those of you who are experiencing problems is to get a hold of an old SBCyahoo browser...just my :2cents: ...

julie
May 10, 2005, 8:08 PM
Hi all, it may be that i'm just lucky or something, but i seem to have no problems loading/using the old chat system, when i use my SBCyahoo browser. Netscape, however, would never open...so my suggestion to those of you who are experiencing problems is to get a hold of an old SBCyahoo browser...just my :2cents: ...

Good advice morenito, I tried again tonight, this time msn, and after a lot of refreshing I got through to the chat room... very happy to be back :)

Brian
May 10, 2005, 8:27 PM
Good advice morenito, I tried again tonight, this time msn, and after a lot of refreshing I got through to the chat room... very happy to be back :) So cool. Thanks for sharing that morenito and julie!!

katie
May 11, 2005, 10:21 AM
HELP....my problem with the chat programme is that it turns off my computer entirely......I mean the computer automatically reboots... :banghead: .I just gave up...I had no problems with the video chat format.... even though I never and cant use the video feature (no cam)..... :compuser: Katie

Brian
May 11, 2005, 11:22 AM
HELP....my problem with the chat programme is that it turns off my computer entirely......I mean the computer automatically reboots... :banghead: .I just gave up...I had no problems with the video chat format.... even though I never and cant use the video feature (no cam)..... :compuser: Katie Wow. That's a new one for me Katie.

Maybe try a different browser? I use two well-known browsers myself, Microsoft IE (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx) and Netscape Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) which is the new replacement for Netscape Navigator.

I am partly shocked that a Java-based chat could cause your computer to completely crash and reboot, but at the same time I am not shocked, as nothing bad about computers and the internet shocks me any more.

I wish I could be of more help than just the links above. :(

The feedback I am getting both publicly and privately is about evenly split between the two chat programs we have been using so far (the "non-video" versus the "video" chat, aka the "old" versus the "new" chat respectively). Within the next few days I hope to have a new one, RealChat up and going, which I hope will solve the various problems that both the old and new chat seem to give some folks. It has good trial terms, so we should be able to test it thoroughly before I spend any money on it.

little_willie
May 12, 2005, 10:20 PM
Here's what I've been able to figure out this evening trying to get into the chat room. After rebooting the PC I was able to logon to the chat room using IE quickly and painlessly. I accidently left the chat room and nothing but a reboot would let me back in. I have been able to logon using Firefox but not in a long time. Seems like there may be a bug in Java or in how it relates to my current level of service packs/security updates.

julie
May 17, 2005, 6:12 PM
Here's what I've been able to figure out this evening trying to get into the chat room. After rebooting the PC I was able to logon to the chat room using IE quickly and painlessly. I accidently left the chat room and nothing but a reboot would let me back in. I have been able to logon using Firefox but not in a long time. Seems like there may be a bug in Java or in how it relates to my current level of service packs/security updates.

Alas my evening in the chatroom last Thursday turned out to be a one-off, I havent been able to get in since despite trying many,many times :(

little_willie suggests there may be a bug in Java, I'm wondering if that is the case too? I have had a couple of reports to my desktop, which mention Java and a failure to connect?

Drew mentioned a trial with a new chat, I was wondering if there is a start date for that? I am missing chatting with you all :bigrin:

thanks Drew, I know you are working on it :cool:

softfruit
May 17, 2005, 6:45 PM
Would it be possible to run the chat room on the server such that people with IRC clients could log in using those, and thus get round the Java trouble?

Then we could just have a downloadable, customised MIRC or something like that to help people like Julie here & myself who are clicking F5 til we fall asleep trying to get in.

Brian
May 18, 2005, 7:40 AM
Hi Softfruit,

I've looked at some of the mIRC-compatible chat software, and haven't really been impressed with them at all. The better chat programs seem to be standalone programs.

Lisa (va)
May 18, 2005, 10:02 AM
Lucky me! Seems i may be one of the lucky few that has no problem logging onto the chat, old or new. Wish i knew the secret and could pass it on. I just wanted to say thanks to Drew, keep up the good work.

hugs n kisses
Lisa

Brian
May 18, 2005, 11:52 AM
Drew mentioned a trial with a new chat, I was wondering if there is a start date for that? I am missing chatting with you all :bigrin:
I'm going to try to do that this weekend. :)

julie
May 29, 2005, 5:02 PM
I'm going to try to do that this weekend. :)

Hey Drew,

Any more news on this? So sorry to keep on, I quess you must be fed up of chat room hassle by now :rolleyes: Such a good chat room= folks get cross when they cant get in there :banghead:

Brian
May 29, 2005, 5:20 PM
Hey Drew,

Any more news on this? So sorry to keep on, I quess you must be fed up of chat room hassle by now :rolleyes: Such a good chat room= folks get cross when they cant get in there :banghead: I was afraid someone would ask. ;) I got sidetracked onto some other things. And now this week is already looking very busy. But I'll see what I can do about setting up the new chatroom service later this week. If not, then early next week. Really. :rolleyes:

julie
May 29, 2005, 5:49 PM
I was afraid someone would ask. ;) I got sidetracked onto some other things. And now this week is already looking very busy. But I'll see what I can do about setting up the new chatroom service later this week. If not, then early next week. Really. :rolleyes:

I believe you Drew ;) Cant wait :bigrin:

love julie x

softfruit
May 29, 2005, 6:02 PM
Just to echo Julie's faith in you -- and as someone else trying to squeeze a pint of bi activism into a quarter-pint pot of time to do it in -- thanks again for all the work you're putting into the site Drew: we know you can't get everything you and we would like done instantly with the wave of a magic wand :D

katie
May 29, 2005, 6:36 PM
Heya Drew: Well I did manage to stop the computer from crashing everytime I logged into chat. Then I had the pleasure of actually having the doorman let me in ONCE. I haven't been able to get in there again no matter how many times I get refreshed. Here is a sugestion http://www.parachat.com ....PMM used to use this programme and it seemed to work well.....Katie :compuser: