PDA

View Full Version : Tech Question about IPods

12voltman59
Mar 1, 2009, 7:30 PM
A few months ago--I got myself the new generation IPod nano---I have an 8GB unit.

It took me awhile to get the thing loaded with all of the music I had wanted on it--but now I have lost every damn last bit of that data.

What happened--the battery on my unit had gone all the way down--so I of course plugged it in to charge it and it naturally went through the re-sync process.

In order to open limited memory space on my laptop--I had dumped all the music I had on the computer.

For those who might know the workings of IPods--did I lose the music because I had totally run down the battery on the IPod--or because I had dumped the music loaded on the library on ITunes onboard my laptop and synching the IPod with an empty music library took out my music files????

Thanks to whoever provides the info on why I lost my music!!

FalconAngel
Mar 1, 2009, 8:15 PM
A few months ago--I got myself the new generation IPod nano---I have an 8GB unit.

It took me awhile to get the thing loaded with all of the music I had wanted on it--but now I have lost every damn last bit of that data.

What happened--the battery on my unit had gone all the way down--so I of course plugged it in to charge it and it naturally went through the re-sync process.

In order to open limited memory space on my laptop--I had dumped all the music I had on the computer.

For those who might know the workings of IPods--did I lose the music because I had totally run down the battery on the IPod--or because I had dumped the music loaded on the library on ITunes onboard my laptop and synching the IPod with an empty music library took out my music files????

Thanks to whoever provides the info on why I lost my music!!

I have an iPod nano, and I don't think that the blank files on the laptop are the cause. It is most likely the dead battery that is the culprit.

The library on your iTunes should not take up that much space on the computer.
On my iTunes, I have a huge library (10.4 GB, 3033 songs, 204.9days of music and sound bites), but then that library is on my desktop, not on a laptop.

It could also be a problem with the iTunes on the laptop. If you have it on the main system and on the laptop, iTunes will only recognize it for one system, I think. If that's the case, then your iPod will have to be wiped and reregistered for the different system's iTunes.

SYnching the iPod to your iTunes will normally leave your iPod stuff on the iPod, unless, as I said, the battery in the iPod did go completely dead.

I know that my nano can run for more than 8 hours before the battery runs down, unless I leave it charged and unused for more than a few days, then it runs a bit less. And if I fail to use it and recharge it for weeks, then the battery goes very dead.

NumberSix
Mar 2, 2009, 12:58 AM
I'm not sure how the iPod Nano works, I've only had iPod Shuffles and now an iPod Touch.

What I think happened was that if you did not check 'manually manage music' or something similar and deleted all the files from your library/computer, then yes when you plugged it in it synced with your empty library.

Completely draining the battery will not erase everything. The unwanted sync will.

mistymockingbird
Mar 2, 2009, 3:47 AM
Running down the battery wouldn't do it. It was the sync. I've seen this happen more than once when you load your iPod from one library and then the next time you connect your iPod to a different iTunes library (in this case your empty one), the library wants to assimilate the device. To do so, it wipes out the device so you can start with a blank slate.

PaulWaul
Mar 2, 2009, 3:52 AM
When your iPod synchs, it copies everything from your iTunes library to your iPod, but it also deletes whatever is on your iPod and isnt in your library. If you want to avoid this problem in the future you can go to your iPod in iTunes and select the box that says Manually Manage Music and Video. When this is checked, you drag & drop music (and videos, except nano's dont hav vids) onto your iPod (where t shows up in your iTunes menu). This will also allow you get music from other people without losing what you already have. The battery draining won't cause all your things to be deleted (iPods use hardrives, and your comp doesnt lose all your data when its unplugged does it?), unless theres something else wrong with it.

I have an iPod classic, so its probably not exactley the same, but I'm willing to bet that its pretty close. And just a not: once you do this, you should never, ever click the button that says 'synch' when you hook up your iPod to iTunes (I have about 2k+ songs from friends, if I synched my iPod I'd lose all of it)

Hope this helps

rissababynta
Mar 2, 2009, 8:38 AM
This is why I don't have an iPod. I have enough things to stress about in life, especially when it comes to technology :tong:

_Joe_
Mar 2, 2009, 9:30 AM
Just because a file is no longer in your iTunes library, and gets removed from the iPod, doesn't mean the music is totally gone, it's normally still on the harddrive. Normally, as in, hopefully when it asked if you wanted to remove the song you wanted to delete the song and you said "NO" as that means it is still saved on the harddrive.

For windows, default is MyDocuments/MyMusic/ITunes/ folder, from there look in the iTunes Music Folder.