PDA

View Full Version : And now... the Rest of the Story (RIP Paul Harvey)

vittoria
Feb 28, 2009, 9:54 PM
One of my favorite guys in the world, Paul Harvey, died. "Stand by for news"...Radio commentator Paul Harvey dies at 90 years of age (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29447376/)

He will be sorely missed:(... now I'll just have to go and buy that Bose in his honor! ;):cool:

texasman6172003
Feb 28, 2009, 10:13 PM
Gawd your so right Vitt!!! Used to listen to him on WBAP 820 Radio AM,every day. I could sit and listen too him all day i think. Man what a voice he had. Rest In Peace Paul,you will b missed...

onewhocares
Feb 28, 2009, 10:47 PM
I too will miss Paul Harvey. He was the voice of reason and common sense at times when it seemed the world around us was crumbling. I loved to listen on Saturdays when he would be a more personal and reflective man. He was a sense of comfort and stability for sure.

Belle

MaybeSayMaybe
Feb 28, 2009, 11:02 PM
I haven't heard him in ages, but I sure remember him. He had this kind of non-intellectual intellectual quality. He'd tell these roundabout stories and then hit you with the velvet glove right at the end, with pregnant pauses, then move right on.

Most would call him a conservative, but to me people like this don't classify as anything except thinkers. He was something special. He was the one of the original radio personalities. He made us all think a little bit better.

tallkerri
Mar 1, 2009, 12:38 AM
And now you know.....the rest..of the story. Classic and always classy!

Lonewolf76
Mar 1, 2009, 1:31 AM
Wow! I grew up two hours south of Chicago and remember listening to him as a young lad. Not too many things got my attention back then - but his distinctive voice always made me stop and listen. I loved his "The rest of the story" segments - it was always interesting to try and figure out who it was he was decribing before he announced thier identity. We've indeed lost a national treasure! Sad wolfie. LW

Doggie_Wood
Mar 1, 2009, 1:37 AM
Yes - oh yes how Paul Sr. will be missed - I am glad that his son, Paul Harvey Jr. had begun filling in for his dad. I hope he continues to do so. He sounds so much like his dad when he was younger.
RIP Paul

Doggie :doggie: JD

FalconAngel
Mar 1, 2009, 2:16 AM
Paul Harvey will be sorely missed.

As a Kid, my dad used to listen to him in the car's radio while driving to my grandparents in Peoria. A 4 hour drive in those days.

I remember that us kids were locked to that station just waiting for "the rest of the story".

curious44
Mar 1, 2009, 7:09 AM
Most would call him a conservative, but to me people like this don't classify as anything except thinkers. He was something special. He was the one of the original radio personalities. He made us all think a little bit better.

"people like this don't classify as anything except thinkers" Perfect description, MaybeSayMaybe.
PH would sometimes talk of cultural differences and ethnic customs around the world and compare them to our own. He would describe the stoning, beheading, bodily mutilations and other barbaric practices around the world---then you would get the famous pause and he would finish by saying, "We are NOT one world." One of my favorites.