PDA

View Full Version : Shameful Thing :(

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Feb 5, 2009, 11:29 PM
This distresses me and saddens me more than I can express. I worked in the VA System for 15 years and this really hurts my heart to see a man like this have to freeze to death on account of a greedy utility company.:disgust::disgust:
Makes me sick, Ya'll to know that one of our elder Veterans was treated this way, and he died alone in the cold...:(
:soapbox:

Vet Who Froze Leaves Estate to Hospital

Vachenzo
Feb 5, 2009, 11:33 PM
do you have a link to a news article? This is out of my own curiosity and disgust.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Feb 5, 2009, 11:35 PM
Grrrr, I thought it posted...dammit...:(

Lonewolf76
Feb 6, 2009, 1:24 AM
This is indeed a shameful thing. These folks fought and sacrificed to maintain the freedom that most take for granted. I was stationed in England for four years with the US Air Force and the English have a great respect for their "Redcoats" - their veterans. They are respected, admired, honored and well taken care of until their passing. The US should be ashamed! We have a long way to go! Sad, Very sad! LW

Skiffy
Feb 6, 2009, 6:22 AM
Tis a shame he froze. On the other hand he left $600,000 to a local hospital. He HAD the money he just refused to pay for some unknown reason. IMHO that's a lot different than a person who doesn't have the money being "abused" by the utility company.

Cesca
Feb 6, 2009, 6:47 AM
This is indeed a shameful thing. These folks fought and sacrificed to maintain the freedom that most take for granted. I was stationed in England for four years with the US Air Force and the English have a great respect for their "Redcoats" - their veterans. They are respected, admired, honored and well taken care of until their passing. The US should be ashamed! We have a long way to go! Sad, Very sad! LW

I think you must be referring to the Chelsea Pensioners. There aren't too many of them and many ex servicemen die destitute and frozen just as they do in the United States. So we have much too be ashamed of ourselves. They are a comical lot and sometimes a little grumpy. One cracked my elder sister over the backside with his walking stick when he thought she was being cheeky and disrespectful. Its quite possible because kids can be a bit cheeky and disrespectful when they are 10 years old. My sister could anyway. Whatever the truth of the matter my mother remonstrated with him very severely and I believe she wrote a letter of complaint to the hospital rather than have him prosecuted for assault.

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/

Lonewolf76
Feb 6, 2009, 12:56 PM
I think you must be referring to the Chelsea Pensioners. There aren't too many of them and many ex servicemen die destitute and frozen just as they do in the United States. So we have much too be ashamed of ourselves. They are a comical lot and sometimes a little grumpy. One cracked my elder sister over the backside with his walking stick when he thought she was being cheeky and disrespectful. Its quite possible because kids can be a bit cheeky and disrespectful when they are 10 years old. My sister could anyway. Whatever the truth of the matter my mother remonstrated with him very severely and I believe she wrote a letter of complaint to the hospital rather than have him prosecuted for assault.

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/

I believe it WAS the chelsea pensioners - I was under the impression that they were well taken care of - sorry to hear that isnt the case- Sees both our countrys have a long way to go. Has to be the same group though - I DO vividly recall them all being rather grumpy! LOL

Hephaestion
Feb 6, 2009, 8:30 PM
Some comments:

Shameful that anyone in an 'advanced' country should die of neglect and cold.

He must have been one of the 'out pensioners'. Although he may have had the money in his estate it may not have been a liquid asset

Older people can get a little irrational wishing to preserve whatever they can in order to survive. A reminder that UK energy prices have more than doubled recently (in addition to previous rises) and we have had one of the more severe winters so far. We are all dreading the imminent bills

Additionally, interest payments on any investments have withered to almost zero to pay for the mannerless backsides that have caused the banking crisis (one suggestion was that they be paid the meagre wages of lower civil servants as so much public money has been used to keep them afloat)

Once upon a time, when it was working, Batttersea Power station waste heat was used to provide free heating for people in the area. Maybe someone will get around to tapping the waste heat produced by the major server stacks as has been suggested.

Global warming or back to the ice-age cometh?

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Feb 7, 2009, 2:42 AM
I can find the link that one of my Vets send me for this topic, but perhaps you could Google it and look at it. I think the man was here in the states, that's what pisses me off more than anything...:(
Sad Cat

upones
Feb 7, 2009, 7:31 AM
i saw later he had 600,000.00 dollars in the bank. now what do u think.