PDA

View Full Version : HIV Test Results - when does it show?

mike9753
Jan 31, 2009, 1:25 AM
I recently had a great massage by a guy. He was naked while he massaged me and as I lay there on my stomach, his hard cock moved into my line of site and I sucked him. This was the first time in 40 years. It was great! He massaged me and when I could I sucked him. He never came in my mouth and I never detected any precum, but ever since I have been worried about possible HIV. I don't even know if he was HIV positive.

This was about 10 days ago. Does anyone know how soon after infection will it show up in an HIV test? I need to get tested just for my own piece of mind. But I really don't think I have anything to worry about. I would just like to be sure. Any thoughts or references? I have checked out the CDC and other websites but I can;t seem to find out the answer.

Devin
Jan 31, 2009, 2:15 AM
A doctor said to me it will show up in your blood in about two months. The results from a test take one week.

Toad82
Jan 31, 2009, 2:19 AM
I was just checked out and I was told three months for the first test then again at six months and then every six months there after if still active.

flexy
Jan 31, 2009, 4:07 AM
It can be tested as early as 1.5 to 2 months, but you should have a test again at 6 months to get a good test. IMHO, If you are active, you should test every six months probably just to be safe. Even if you did not think you got any of his precum, you don't know for sure...
Better be safe than sorry...

Michael623
Jan 31, 2009, 8:21 AM
It can be tested as early as 1.5 to 2 months, but you should have a test again at 6 months to get a good test. IMHO, If you are active, you should test every six months probably just to be safe. Even if you did not think you got any of his precum, you don't know for sure...
Better be safe than sorry...

Better be safe than sorry? Unprotected sex, isn't it a little late for being safe?

Sexual_soujourner
Jan 31, 2009, 9:38 AM
You need to be very honest with your doctor. Without a lot of detail you can just say I had an encounter with a partner that was randon and you don't know their status.
The other side is can you reach this fella, tell him your concern and ask him. No mater get to your Doctor, You will need to be tested for more than HIV.

bimichman
Jan 31, 2009, 4:59 PM
I also wooried about this back in July, it basically took over my life. What i have read, asked and reviewed is that a test done at 30 days is 95% accurate. most people will test positive with in 6 weeks. thewindow period is 90 days. You can buy a home test kit that is approved by the FDA. It is called HOME ACCESS, it is the only one that is approved by the FDA. You send a blood sample to them and call 2-3 days later for results. The test cost about $60.00. It includes overnite shipping. I found myself going on to WEBMD, message boards for sex and relaionships, HIV member to member questions. You can join for free and submit a question. They seem to know what they are talking about, and respond fairly quickly. from my understanding oral sex is low risk. receiving oral is considered .5 per10,000 acts and performing oral is cosidered 1per 10,000 acts with ejacultion with a known source to carry the virus. I hope this eases your mind. I took many tests since July. took one on JAN. 27TH 2009. Results were negative. Everyone needs to get tested. I get tested every 6 mos. at my dr's office and in between those tests i test with HOME ACCESS, if warranted,

Lisa (va)
Jan 31, 2009, 5:18 PM
Better be safe than sorry? Unprotected sex, isn't it a little late for being safe?

Exactly, other than giving you piece of mind, I have alwasy wondered what (safer) benefits routine testing has, how long do you go on with the tests till that ONE turns + ! It's like playing russian roulette till you all the cmanbers have been fired. Just my opinion, in this case I think an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

Lisa

hugs n kisses

curious44
Feb 1, 2009, 7:15 AM
Just my opinion, in this case I think an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

Lisa

hugs n kisses[/QUOTE]

Except in the case of HIV/AIDS, there is no pound of cure.

mike9753
Feb 4, 2009, 12:34 PM
You are all completely correct about prevention. I was dumber than dumb. That's what comes from thinking with the wrong head.

Just to give all those who replied (and thank you all for getting back to me), I got back to the masseur and he told me he regularly gets tested, engages in very few if any risky situations and always uses protection.

Now that has relieved me somewhat, but obviously not completely. I will wait 6 weeks and get tested and then again in 6 months as has been suggested.

But I wanted to add a comment to help others.

It's one thing to decide to be safe. That's great and we should all do that. But I had not fully realized just how unstable my life would become after I let my guard down. So I sucked on a cock. Did not exchange any fluids. But the worry has consumed me, day and night. Before this I worried about contracting something - any STD. But I was unprepared for how just the uncertainty would shape my actions after the event. I don't sleep well. I think about the 'what if's' all the time. Even after being tested in another few weeks, and hopefully getting a clean bill of health - I will still worry until I am tested again in 6 months. Then after that, who knows if my worry will ever completely go away.

So it's not just the worry of contracting an STD - it's how the ambiguity will shape your thoughts and actions after the fact on a daily basis. That's almost as bad as a disease.

Just something to think about.

Mike

mike9753
Feb 25, 2009, 9:06 AM
Hi Folks:

Just a follow-up. I wrote to the CDC and received the following reply:

Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO. In response to your request for information on HIV testing and the risk of HIV through oral sex, we can provide you with the following information.

It is possible for HIV to be spread during oral sex. A person can become infected with HIV by performing or receiving oral sex.

If the person receiving oral sex has HIV, they can pass it to the person performing oral sex through body fluids that come into contact with cells lining the mouth.

If the person performing oral sex has HIV, blood from their mouth may enter the body of the person receiving oral sex through:
* the opening at the tip of the penis;
* the lining of the vagina or cervix;
* the lining of the anus; or
* small cuts or open sores.

No one knows exactly what the degree of risk is. But, evidence suggests that the risk is less than that of unprotected anal or vaginal sex.

HIV tests measure the antibodies your body makes to fight HIV. Most people develop antibodies within 2 to 8 weeks after exposure, and almost all people (97 percent) develop antibodies within the first 3 months. It can take some time for your body's immune (defense) system to make enough antibodies to be detected by an HIV test. The average is 25 days. In rare cases, it can take up to 6 months.

If you have an HIV test within 3 months of possible exposure and the result is negative, you may want to repeat the test more than 3 months after exposure.

It is best to speak with a healthcare provider about the best time to get tested.

For more information about HIV, please visit the CDC websites:

National HIV and STD Testing Resources
http://www.hivtest.org

HIV/AIDS
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/default.htm

We hope this information is helpful and we look forward to assisting you in the future.

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO Contact Center. Please do not hesitate to call 1-800-CDC-INFO, e-mail cdcinfo@cdc.gov or visit http://www.cdc.gov if you have any additional questions.

CDC-INFO is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). This service is provided by Vangent, Inc. under contract to CDC and ATSDR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please visit CDC-INFO s Customer Satisfaction Survey and tell us about your recent experience with CDC-INFO. The survey results will help improve our services. The address for the survey is http://www.emtservices.org/cdcinfo/en/email_satisfaction_survey.htm. Thank you.

DD-595, 3058/dp

[THREAD ID:1-1AYAOP] [SR No.:1-78927609]