PDA

View Full Version : The Passing of Billy Powell...

texasman6172003
Jan 28, 2009, 5:22 PM
Well i know i drive some of y'all nuts with my love for The Band Lynrd Skynrd,and i dont mean the the Poser's that are calling them self's that these days. The original group from back in the 70's were soooo talented!!!. Well i heard today of the Death of there fantastic piano player Billy Powell. Anyway just wanted too let the Lynrd Skynrd lovers out there know. There is only one member left now and that is Gary Rossington. LONG LIVE SKYNRD!!!!

12voltman59
Jan 28, 2009, 6:56 PM
thanks for the post Tex---back in the day--I had a fondness for LS---I saw them perform a concert just a few weeks before they had the crash---I was sure glad I did see them perform with the original band members one last time.

still_shy
Jan 28, 2009, 7:47 PM
The passing of Billy Powell greatly saddens me....I have had the pleasure of seeing him play in concert twice. The second time we had front row seats and it was two weeks before the drummer passed away about 7 years ago, I think. They've got a hell of a band going in heaven, if you believe in that sort of stuff!!!

wondering56231
Jan 28, 2009, 8:04 PM
I actually live in the town Billy lived in and talked to someone on the local Fire Rescue. About 1 am this morning Billy called 911. He died of a heart attack in his home. SOOOO sad.

Artimus Pyle is still alive also. Living in Fl. as a registered sex offender.

RobandHil
Jan 29, 2009, 9:27 PM
R.I.P. Billy Powell. Skynyrd was always my favourite band. Back in the day they could surely turn goat piss into gasoline!!! My heart goes out to all the family members of Lynyrd Skynyrd. They have certainly been cursed beyond measure.

Sarasvati
Jan 30, 2009, 9:03 AM
What happened to Dale Krantz? I thought she had a great voice

tinman714
Jan 31, 2009, 10:14 AM
Still to this day the GREATEST Southern rock band ever! And to hear Billy on "Call me the Breeze", he was probably the greatest rock piano player. I hope to spend some time with Mother Nature and the Ipod this weekend having a LS party. I'm 37, so I never got a chance to see them play (the real line-up), but man would I haved loved to experience that.

RobandHil
Jan 31, 2009, 6:47 PM
Still to this day the GREATEST Southern rock band ever! And to hear Billy on "Call me the Breeze", he was probably the greatest rock piano player. I hope to spend some time with Mother Nature and the Ipod this weekend having a LS party. I'm 37, so I never got a chance to see them play (the real line-up), but man would I haved loved to experience that.

I totally agree. The closest I ever got to see them was the Freebird movie from a few years ago.

Dano111
Feb 2, 2009, 2:57 PM
This disturbs me, I also love the Marshall Tucker Band , than the passing of Toy and Tommy. Did Alan Collins also die? I rember the Band him an Gary Rosington started:

Humanlove
Feb 15, 2009, 5:26 PM
I understand what you are saying and as sad as it is to lose a great member of a solid band, we can still say that Skynyrd is still strong with the current line-up, and they are no posers.. If you haven't seen them, I'd recommend getting out there and catching them before there are no longer any opportunities to see what remains.

FYI Skynyrd

1971: Bob Burns left Skynyrd and was replaced by Rickey Medlocke, so you see, There is more than one original band member remaining. I would consider, Johnny to be be one of the original members having hung around the band with his brother Ronnie during the entire history of Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Vocals are so very similar between Ronnie and Johnny. (although he truly is not trying to replace Ron nie as the legend, he is sim ply carrying on the tradition of Skynyrd much the same as Ronnie did.

it wasn't until; 1978 that Skynyrd reformed comprising of Rossington, Powell, Pyle, Wilkeson, King, Johnny Van Zant (vocals), Randall Hall ( a long-time friend of the band and member of The Allen Collins Band), along with Dale Krantz Rossington and Carol Bristow on background vocals.

Currently the band is made up of the following performers
Dale Krantz Rossington : Back Vocals
Garry Rossington : Guitar
Johnny Van Zant : Vocals
Ean Evans : Bass, Back Vocals
Carol Chase : Back Vocals
Mark "Sparky" Matejka : Guitar, Back Vocals
Rickey Medlocke : Guitar, Drums, Back Vocals
Michael Cartelone : Drums

Here is a list of all former members (played at various stages of Skynyrd's unmatched history)

Allen Collins : Guitar died 23/01/1990 (pneumonia)
Steve Gaines : Guitar died 20/10/1977 (plane crash)
Jeff McAllister : Drums
Larry Junstrom : Bass 38 Special
Greg T. Walker : Bass Blackfoot
Owen Hale : Drums
Randall Hall : Guitar, Back Vocals
Mike Estes : Guitar
Hugie Thomasson : Guitar, Back Vocals died 09/09/2007 (heart attack), ex-Outlaws
Kenny Aronoff : Drums
Kurt Custer : Drums
Ed King : Guitar, Bass
Artimus Pyle : Drums
Leon Wilkeson : Bass died 27/07/2001 (emphysema)
Billy Powell : Keyboard died 28/01/2009
Ronnie Van Zant : Vocals died 20/10/1977 (plane crash)

Skynyrd fans are a special group. There are none others like us.

"What song is you want to hear?" Freeeebird!!!!!
"I heard that!"

Well i know i drive some of y'all nuts with my love for The Band Lynrd Skynrd,and i dont mean the the Poser's that are calling them self's that these days. The original group from back in the 70's were soooo talented!!!. Well i heard today of the Death of there fantastic piano player Billy Powell. Anyway just wanted too let the Lynrd Skynrd lovers out there know. There is only one member left now and that is Gary Rossington. LONG LIVE SKYNRD!!!!

Humanlove
Feb 15, 2009, 5:31 PM
Allen Collins died 23/01/1990 from pneumonia.

What a history this band has had.. So much to listen to, read about see and remember.

This disturbs me, I also love the Marshall Tucker Band , than the passing of Toy and Tommy. Did Alan Collins also die? I rember the Band him an Gary Rosington started: