PDA

View Full Version : Scam alert!!!

rissababynta
Jan 28, 2009, 11:06 AM
I may act dopey sometimes, especially in chat (you know how I roll bitches;)) but I'm NOT a stupid person. Hell, you could be stupid and still smell this load of crap a mile away.

It is not only in my area of craigslist that this has been posted so in case you happen to see this posted under the tv/film in the jobs section, please be wary. There is a post looking for people (singers was the post I saw) to be part of the cast of a new reality show called The Next Big Thing Show. I did what they asked out of sheer curiosity and sent them an email describing what kind of singer I am, a headshot, and the link to my karaoke page just so they could get an idea of what I could do with my voice. I didn't actually audtion for them or go to a casting call or anything. They emailed me the next day saying that they liked what I had to offer but they wouldn't know for sure what my fate was with the show until the higher up took a look at my inquiry. This is the email I got today:

Hi Marissa,
>
>I know you've been waiting for the decision of our casting coordinators. So rather than keep you waiting any longer, let me get straight to the point. . .!
>
Here's the good news, Marissa. .I'm happy to tell
> you that you officially made the list of casting
> recommendations for THE NEXT BIG THING. That
> means you are officially invited to be one of
> the performers at the show taping on Feb. 21.
> As long as your registration paperwork is postmarked
> by Feb. 4, 2009, you will have a confirmed
> spot on the show.
>
> The SHOW TAPING will be on Saturday, Feb. 21 near
> Nashville, Tenn. in front of a live audience, hosted by reality tv superstar "Dana" from NBC's hit show "THE BIGGEST LOSER." If for any reason, you are unable to attend the live show taping, you can send us a video of your performance so that you will still be on the show. Just film it yourself with your home video camera, and do the best job you can to showcase your
talent and personality!! The tape you send us can
> be VHS, MINIDV, or DVD.
>
> All live performers on the show will each have
> a five minute time slot to perform, whether it
> might be singing, dancing, comedy, acting or
> any other talent. Please list on the attached
> registration form a description of your
> planned performance for the show.
>
> We plan to begin promoting the live show
> soon, and we need a confirmed list of
> performers who will be appearing in person.
> So if you will definitely be able to
> participate, please completely fill out the
> REGISTRATION FORM (which follows
> this email), follow all instructions, and
> mail the completed form (postmarked by Feb. 4
> 2009) to this address:
>
>
> Premier TV
> 620 N. Westmount Suite C West Hollywood, Calif. 90069 >
> Upon receipt of your completed registration
> form, you will then be emailed a
> detailed PRODUCTION ITINERARY
> containing directions to the taping
> venue, dress and/or costume recommendations,
> and all guidelines to be followed during the show.
>
> The selection of the winners of THE NEXT BIG
> THING at the Feb. 21 taping will be made by
a judging panel of music and tv industry professionals
including performers from NASHVILLE STAR and AMERICAN IDOL.

> In the past 15 years, Premier TV has
> produced original programming for over a dozen leading
> channels including ABC, SPIKE TV, TRINITY BROADCASTING.
> CINEMAX, HBO, SHOWTIME, MTV and IN DEMAND. We
> also have a partnership with Netflix (America's leading
> online dvd rental service) to provide our programming to
> DVD consumers. Netflix currently offers 10 Premier Video
> tv shows for rental in dvd.
>
> Congratulations again! You have made the cast list.
> But in order to CONFIRM his appearance on the
> show, remember that the completed registration
> form must be POSTMARKED by Feb. 4, 2009.
>
> Again, congratulations and we look forward to
> seeing you on Feb. 21!
>
> Madison www.myspace.com/thenextbigthingshow nextbigthingshow@hotmail.com

P.S. If you would like to watch one of our
previous Premier TV Productions tv shows, our
Cinemax tv movies DEADLY RUN, THE STRIKE
COMPELLING EVIDENCE and BATTLE FOR GLORY
are now on dvd. You can check them out at
www.netflix.com or www.amazon.com. Just type each title into their search window. YOucan also watch our original documentary WHOSEWAR starring Mike Farrell (of tv's M*A*S*H) atwww.indieflix.com.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> *******************************************
>
> "THE NEXT BIG THING"
> OFFICIAL REGISTRATION FORM
> ____________________________________________
> FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS, ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS, AND
> MAIL THE FOLLOWING TO STRATOS PRODUCTIONS:
>
> (1) COMPLETED REGISTRATION FORM (all questions must
> be answered in full.)
>
> (2) ONE PHOTO OF PERFORMER
>
> (3) $49.00 REGISTRATION FEE
>
> PLEASE MAIL TO:
>
> PREMIER TV 620 N. Westmount Suite C West Hollywood, Calif. 90069
>
> (4) AFTER ALL ALL LISTED MATERIALS HAVE BEEN MAILED,
> SEND A "CONFIRMATION EMAIL" TO:
>
> nextbigthingshow@hotmail.com

>
> ____________________________________________
>
> REGISTRATION QUESTIONS (answer all questions fully):
>
> (1) NAME OF PERFORMER__________________________
>
> (2) NAME OF PARENT(S) IF PEFORMER IS UNDER 18
> __________________________________________________ __
>
> (3) ADDRESS (street, city, state, zip) _____________________
>
> (4) EMAIL AND PHONE __________________________________
>
> (5) DESCRIBE THE PLANNED PERFORMANCE ____________
>
> (6) WILL YOU BE ATTENDING THE SATURDAY Feb. 21
> SHOW TAPING NEAR NASHVILLE?
>
> (PLEASE CHECK ONE)
>
> YES __________ NO __________
>
> (7) IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ATTEND THE SHOW
> TAPING, WILL YOU BE MAILING A VIDEO (VHS, MINIDV,
> OR DVD) OF YOUR PERFORMANCE FOR
> BROADCAST USE ON THE TV SHOW?
> (PLEASE CHECK ONE)
>
>
> (If you are sending a video, it must be received no later than Feb. 10, 2009 and mailed to: Premier TV, 620 N. Westmount, Suite C, West Hollywood, CA 90069
>
> (8) DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BY SIGNING THIS
> REGISTRATION FORM, YOU GRANT PREMIER
> VIDEO THE RIGHT TO FILM YOU
> DURING THE SHOW TAPING DATE ON FEB. 21 AND THAT THIS
> THIS FOOTAGE MAY BE USED IN THE FINAL TV PROGRAM?
> (PLEASE CHECK ONE)
>
>
> (9) FINAL CHECKLIST: BEFORE MAILING ALL REQUESTED
> MATERIALS TO PREMIER TV,
> PLEASE VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE INCLUDED ALL OF
> THE FOLLOWING:
>
> (1) COMPLETED REGISTRATION FORM
> (2) ONE PHOTO OF PERFORMER
> (3) $49.00 REGISTRATION FEE
>
> DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ALL OF THESE REQUESTED
> ITEMS MUST BE POST-MARKED BY Feb. 4, 2009 IN
> ORDER FOR YOU TO BE CONFIRMED TO
> APPEAR ON THE SHOW "THE NEXT BIG THING"?
> (PLEASE CHECK ONE)
>
>
> I HEREBY AGREE:
>
> ____________________________________
> SIGNATURE OF PERFORMER
>
> SIGNATURE OF PARENT OR GUARDIAN (IF
> PERFOMER IS UNDER 18:

Ok...again, never actually auditioned, never went through a background check like LEGITIMATE reality shows do before making decisions, and notice how they haven't stated exactly where outside of Nashville or what station the show is going to be broadcasted on. Also, the email address was from hotmail. I'm supposed to just send you a 49 dollar registration fee after two emails? hmmmm....

FalconAngel
Jan 28, 2009, 11:19 AM
Well, it looked mostly legit right up until the registration fee. Of course, noticing the lack of an actual location for the taping of the show was a giveaway, too.

These tv shows do not ask for a registration fee, since the show sponsors are the one's paying for the show.

You may want to contact the real show and let them know that someone is using Craig's list and their show's name to run a scam.

You may also want to forward their information, including the letter and the original post, to; spam@uce.gov which is the FBI's internet fraud division.

rissababynta
Jan 28, 2009, 11:24 AM
I tried looking up the show and the only shows I could find with that name were NY radio shows. I emailed them asking what station it was going to be on so I could get in touch with the station about it. I have yet to get an email back, let's see if I even do. I almost emailed them back saying "Registration fee?! Since when do you need that you dirty scammer" lol. This didn't seem legit to me at all considering that REAL reality shows do so much more(background checks, huge questionaires, sit down with lawyers, etc.) They don't just send you an email like "okie doke, send me money and you're on". I will definitely be sending the email to the FBI later though. Thanks for that. Pretty usefull tidbit there.

eddy10
Jan 28, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hmmm, send $49.00 and BTW shave your head first. :bigrin:

Seems to me like you are becoming a target of some goofy folks.

rissababynta
Jan 28, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hmmm, send $49.00 and BTW shave your head first. :bigrin:

Seems to me like you are becoming a target of some goofy folks.

LMAO! Well, the head shaving thing is actually for real lol.

rissababynta
Jan 28, 2009, 3:21 PM
I just got this email back from them about what channel it's supposed to air on.

Hi Marissa,

It's great to hear from you again. To answer your questions about channels, it will be on at least three channels over 2009. The premiere will be on Los Angeles Channel 10, then it will go nationwide in summer on Whoopie Goldberg's new web channel Indieflix TV, and finally be on a to-be-announced channel in fall.

Thanks!

BumbleB
Jan 28, 2009, 5:27 PM
I wouldn't have bought it, I mean come on they have way too many shows like this and to have it start in Nashville. I live in Tennessee we all would've heard something about it.

That's pretty ridiculous, they always try to aim these things for the gullible :rolleyes:

FalconAngel
Jan 28, 2009, 5:31 PM
I noticed that they still haven't told you where "near Nashville" they were doing the auditions. They also haven't given a date or time for them either.

Any show that is in pre-production or production and has reached this stage has already got these things worked out in detail.
The producers of the show would not stand for anything less.

The more that they tell you, the less that they actually say.

BTW, is there a channel 10 in LA?

rissababynta
Jan 28, 2009, 5:41 PM
I noticed that they still haven't told you where "near Nashville" they were doing the auditions. They also haven't given a date or time for them either.

Any show that is in pre-production or production and has reached this stage has already got these things worked out in detail.
The producers of the show would not stand for anything less.

The more that they tell you, the less that they actually say.

BTW, is there a channel 10 in LA?

OOooo, I'm gonna write back and ask where exactly and see what they have to tell me again lol. So far, they've only said it's Feb 21st.

I don't live in LA so, I'm gonna have to look that crap up and see what I find. lmao

rissababynta
Jan 28, 2009, 6:58 PM
Here you go Falcon:

Hi again Marissa,

The taping will be in Manchester, TN which i just 40 min. from Nashville. This is the same city that hosts America's biggest outdoor music festival every June, Bonaroo. when you register for the show, you will be sent detailed dirtions to our taping venue plus all pre-show instructions.

thanks again, Marisa!

Madison
NEXT BIG THING staff

allbimyself
Jan 28, 2009, 8:32 PM
Yeah, right. Production companies use Hotmail for legitimate business purposes...

FalconAngel
Jan 28, 2009, 8:37 PM
You may want to check on Indie TV as well. If you write to them and ask about this "new show" then they could tell you for sure if this is on the up and up. It still doesn't make sense that they would charge you a registration fee.

Either way, wouldn't it be better to just try out for American Idol rather than a rip-off of it (which is a rip-off of the British show of the same theme, go figure)?

rissababynta
Jan 28, 2009, 8:54 PM
Yeah, right. Production companies use Hotmail for legitimate business purposes...

Exactly what I thought!!

rissababynta
Jan 28, 2009, 8:55 PM
You may want to check on Indie TV as well. If you write to them and ask about this "new show" then they could tell you for sure if this is on the up and up. It still doesn't make sense that they would charge you a registration fee.

Either way, wouldn't it be better to just try out for American Idol rather than a rip-off of it (which is a rip-off of the British show of the same theme, go figure)?

well after my head shaving debut Saturday I won't be allowed to lol.

Doggie_Wood
Jan 29, 2009, 8:55 PM
You may also want to forward their information, including the letter and the original post, to; spam@uce.gov which is the FBI's internet fraud division.

Forward ALL corespondence/emails

I just got this email back from them about what channel it's supposed to air on.

Hi Marissa,

It's great to hear from you again. To answer your questions about channels, it will be on at least three channels over 2009. The premiere will be on Los Angeles Channel 10, then it will go ................., and finally be on a to-be-announced channel in fall.

Thanks!

OOooo, I'm gonna write back and ask where exactly and see what they have to tell me again lol. So far, they've only said it's Feb 21st.

I don't live in LA so, I'm gonna have to look that crap up and see what I find. lmao

:bowdown:That's be to Wika-pedia

Los Angeles - The city's first television station (and the first in California) was KTLA, which began broadcasting on January 22, 1947. The major network-affiliated television stations in this city are KABC-TV 7 (ABC), KCBS 2 (CBS), KNBC 4 (NBC), KTTV 11 (FOX), KTLA 5 (The CW), and KCOP-TV 13 (MyNetworkTV), and KPXN 30 (i). There are also three PBS stations in the area, including KCET 28, KOCE-TV 50, and KLCS 58. World TV operates on two channels, KNET-LP 25 and KSFV-LP 6. There are also several Spanish-language television networks, including KMEX-TV 34 (Univision), KFTR 46 (TeleFutura), KVEA 52 (Telemundo), and KAZA 54 (Azteca América). KTBN 40 (Trinity Broadcasting Network), is a religious station in the area.

Several independent television stations also operate in the area, including KCAL-TV 9 (owned by CBS Corporation), KSCI 18 (focuses primarily on Asian language programming), KWHY-TV 22 (Spanish-language), KNLA-LP 27 (Spanish-language), KSMV-LP 33 (variety)—a low power relay of Ventura-based KJLA 57—KPAL-LP 38, KXLA 44, KDOC-TV 56 (classic programming and local sports), KJLA 57 (variety), and KRCA 62 (Spanish-language).

I didn't see any channel 10 - but I'll keep lookin!

Doggie :doggie:

after note: San Diego has a channel 10 www.10news.com

rissababynta
Jan 29, 2009, 9:27 PM
Last email Received:

Channel Ten in LA is located near San Vincenze and Melrose in West Hollywood. My boss was just at their studio yesterday looking at their cameras!

evilpanda
Jan 29, 2009, 9:29 PM
Yup, that's a scam all right.

I worked at the offices of The Biggest Loser and the boxes containing submission tapes stretched all the way around the entire circumference of the office floor, totally somewhere in the hundreds of thousands.

If they had charged fifty bucks per submission... you do the math.

No reality show charges for you to be on it. They are getting actors for free.

FalconAngel
Jan 29, 2009, 10:19 PM
Yup, that's a scam all right.

I worked at the offices of The Biggest Loser and the boxes containing submission tapes stretched all the way around the entire circumference of the office floor, totally somewhere in the hundreds of thousands.

If they had charged fifty bucks per submission... you do the math.

No reality show charges for you to be on it. They are getting actors for free.

There you go. Clearly this whole thing is a scam. All the signs are there. It is a well written scam, but still a scam.

And yess, foreward all of the correspondences to spam@uce.gov and do it in a single e-mail with dates that you received them and all of the information that you can give.

evilpanda
Jan 30, 2009, 5:28 AM
Normally, I hate showbiz talk and sorry if this sounds condescending or coming from some film school know-it-all. But, because I care, the last thing I want is for one of you to get scammed.

If there are any of you who are in LA with me, or are trying to get into the entertainment business, there are vultures everywhere. Ripping off showbiz newcomers is big business here. I myself was a "talent scout" for a week, when I moved to Hollywood and was starving. I'm embarrassed to say, I had to e-mail actors with offers of non-existent auditions to get them to come into the office and sit down for a three-hour sales pitch on why they should pay fifty bucks a month to have their picture posted on some casting website they never heard of, but claimed to have discovered The Backstreet Boys. There's my confession.

You find opportunities in legitimate publications like Backstage West and, maybe things like Variety, I don't know. Craigslist and similar sites are always posting ads, some scams, but a lot legit. It actually takes a lot of legwork to find a reality show, get the contact info, send in the application and demo tape, phone interviews, personal interviews, and the paperwork you have to fill out looks like a farking phone book. THEN, they pick you.

To be honest, I'd recommend against reality shows in general. Trust me, it's my job to make people look like morons, like we did with that blonde bitch on Beauty and the Geek 3. We have a saying. "There are no victims. Only volunteers."

Friends don't let friends join reality shows. :three:

12voltman59
Jan 30, 2009, 6:21 AM
From what I have gathered relating to "reality" shows----there is not much reality to them---while they are not "scripted out" in a traditional sense----with the way situations tend to get manipulated by the production companies and then are edited to such a degree----what we see on the screen has very little to do with "reality."

Now--I don't want to play any role in allowing the networks make big money on the cheap by getting away from production of drama and sit coms--production that costs them more money--even though NBC is pretty much my favorite network---I don't plan to watch them much next year since they are killing all of their dramas and are going to air Jay Leno at 10 pm--something that is sorta a slap to Conan's face as well.

This deal does seem like a scam for sure----the only show that I had any interest in trying to be on was "Deal or No Deal" for a time----but when they had some local casting calls for the show----just the basic application was pretyy extensive and my God-----actually make it into the finalist pool----you would think you were going to be selling your soul to the devil or something-----I just don't care to have that much information about my life being provided to one of those production companies----about the only things more intrusive than what they wanted and I can see why that is, especially now---are applications for a home mortgage or maybe a job with the Obama administration!!!

I don't want any part of any "reality" or even a game show----I had thought of trying out for "Jeopardy" as well---but I think I can do without my 15 seconds of fame, thank you very much!!

evilpanda
Jan 30, 2009, 6:27 PM
From what I have gathered relating to "reality" shows----there is not much reality to them---while they are not "scripted out" in a traditional sense----with the way situations tend to get manipulated by the production companies and then are edited to such a degree----what we see on the screen has very little to do with "reality."

You hit the nail right in the head. Nothing is real. Except Danny Bonaduce. He's verrry real.