PDA

View Full Version : About Kentucky.....

ky_bi_girl
Jan 16, 2009, 11:59 AM
Some have joked with me about Kentucky all in good fun. Well, I received an email today and thought I would share it with you because I have been guilty of many of the items it talks about and just thought it would be fun.

KENTUCKY Girls...
'Girls from New York, they are tough.
And girls from Georgia, they are sweet.
But those born and bred feisty Kentucky girls, they are the
ones you have to look out for. We have sugar and fire in our blood.
We can ride a horse, be a debutante, throw a left hook and tell you the
entire UK line up all while making sweet tea.
And if we have an opinion, you get to know it.
We're both the pride and the downfall of the bluegrass.

-----Ashley Judd

Jeff Foxworthy on Kentucky...

If someone in a store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you might live in Kentucky.

If your Dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead, you might live in Kentucky.

If your town has an equal number of bars and churches, you might live in Kentucky.

If you have had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you might live in Kentucky.

You know your from Kentucky if....

* The in-state sports rivalry is paid more attention to than the national championship.

* You live in an area that occasionally gets considerable snowfalls, floods, and tornadoes ... But has no capacity to deal with any of the above.

* You ask your doctor for an allergy cure and he tells you to move.

* You think the rest of the world knows what a Hot Brown is

* When people ask you where you live, they mean what county are you in.

* Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.

* There are 5,000 types of snakes on earth and 4,998 live in Kentucky .
* There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Kentucky plus a couple no one's seen before.

* Onced and Twiced are words.

* It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.

* People actually grow and eat okra.

* 'Fixinto' is one word.

* There is no such thing as 'lunch.
There is only dinner and then there is supper.

* Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two.
We do like a little tea with our sugar!

* Backwards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.

* DJeet? Is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'

* You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

* You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

* You measure distance in minutes.

* You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day. (always)

* 'Fix' is a verb. Example: 'I'm fixin to go to the store.

* All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable width='100%', grain, insect or animal.

* You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

* You know what a 'DAWG' is.

* You carry jumper cables in your car . . . For your OWN car. (been guilty of this in the past) :tongue:

* There are only four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.

* The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

* The first day of deer season is a national holiday.

* 100 degrees Fahrenheit is 'a little warm.

* We have four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and Christmas.

* Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as
'goin' Wal-martin' or off to 'Wally World.'

* A cool snap (below 70 degrees) is good pinto-bean weather.

* A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop . . .
it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?'

* Fried catfish is the other white meat.
* We don't need no stinking driver's Ed . . .
If our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

onewhocares
Jan 16, 2009, 12:14 PM
Never met someone from Kentucky that I did not like. From the sexy bartender who served Mint Julep's at Churchill downs to the sweet and most interesting woman I met when I took a back road and got lost and stopped into her restaurant and she fed me the most delicious food I have ever tasted, to the kind folks that welcomed my Yankee nephew when he went to school at Morehead.

Belle

12voltman59
Jan 16, 2009, 12:42 PM
* A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop . . .
it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?'

I don't know if that is true about Kentucky or not--but it sure is true of Georgia, maybe that is true of much of the south--save one famous combination of "A Moon Pie and an RC Cola!"--Atlanta is the home of "Co cola" so in Georgia-- it sure is true--when I was a kid--I worked in many restaurants in one capacity or another--and you'd often hear a conversation like this: Customer: "What kinda coke, ya'all got?" Order taker's response: "Pepsi!"

I had recently posted up pics of The Varsity Drive In in Atlanta----the world headquarters of Coke is just down the street before you get to the campus of Georgia Tech---

Now in Kentucky--other than Bourbon--the other national drink is Ale 8 One (pronouned "A Late One"), a version of Ginger Ale--I have to say--I love Ale 8!!

While I am not from Kentucky. I do like the state as well----I sure do like Rabbit Hash, as if anyone who looked at the pics I posted of that place coulda gathered!! :bigrin::bigrin:

A blurry photo of the Coca-Cola corporate headquarters tower in Atlanta

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/DSC_0309.jpg

Realist
Jan 16, 2009, 12:46 PM
Ky Bi Girl,

I lived, worked, and loved in Kentucky for 25 years. Everything you say is true. Kentucky women are some of the smartest, prettiest, most open-minded and loving women I've ever known. And, yes, they can be very sophisticated, too.

My 1st wife was from Louisville (Fern Creek). She was pretty, intelligent, and knew how to love like an angel. She was a great cook, a magnificent lover and also bisexual. But, as I can attest, they don't take no shit offa anyone!

Thanks for stirring the memories!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 16, 2009, 3:52 PM
LMAO Ky! I thought this was for us Missisip and Ark girls too! Fried okra and collard greens is a national food back home, and yes they likes a bit of tea with their sugar..lol
Thank you So much for the post And the grins it gave me..
Hugz
Cat

rissababynta
Jan 16, 2009, 6:29 PM
This sounds a lot like the area I was living in in Pennsylvania.

Laken
Jan 16, 2009, 6:39 PM
That first part I've heard switched around for a few different states, including WV and VA.

I think pretty much the whole thing applies to those of us living in the south! (And WV...even though "TECHNICALLY" we aren't Southern.)

frikidiki
Jan 16, 2009, 7:18 PM
Kentucky is so incredibly beautiful to drive through, too!

A lot of these things said about Kentucky are true about the South in general, and especially Texas, my home country, I mean, state. The original white settlers of the Colonies (after the Spanish and French, but before the Czechs, Poles, Germans, Irish, oil prospectors, and Californians) were mostly from Tennessee, Kentucky, and such, and there are many familial and cultural ties still in place today.

csrakate
Jan 16, 2009, 8:20 PM
As a lifelong Southerner, I so enjoyed reading that list of things attributed to KY because they can also be applied to most anyplace around the South. I was particularly tickled by this one:

* All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

I've lived most of my life in S.C. and soon I will be returning there. (if we ever sell the damn house!) One thing I can say about S.C. is that we most definitely have the most absurd Festivals. For example:

The Irmo, S.C. Okra Strut

The Hampton, S.C. Watermelon Festival

The St. George, S.C World Grits Festival (St. George being the Grits Capital of the World)

The Yemassee, S.C. Shrimp Festival

The Gaston, S.C. Collards Festival

The Society Hill, S.C. Catfish Festival

The Allendale, S.C Cooter Festival

AND LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST....The Salley, S.C. Chitlin Strut

I have never attended any of these festivals but while visiting my mother in Irmo, S.C. I did happen to see Okra Man still standing in the middle of the town center....reminded me of a giant green penis!

And to enhance your enjoyment of these festivals, I have attached some pics:

The first is Okra Man
The Second is the Official CooterFest t-shirt
And the third, a Chitlin Strut participant wearing official Chitlin Strut attire while eating Chitlins!

TwylaTwobits
Jan 16, 2009, 9:39 PM
ROFL I have to agree since I'm from Kentucky. Yes I'm fiesty, yes I'm sweet, yes I can throw a left hook, but I can also caress with my right :D

12voltman59
Jan 17, 2009, 4:32 AM
I've lived most of my life in S.C. and soon I will be returning there. (if we ever sell the damn house!) One thing I can say about S.C. is that we most definitely have the most absurd Festivals. For example:

The Irmo, S.C. Okra Strut
The Yemassee, S.C. Shrimp Festival
!

This is pretty obscure now---but former Democratic US Senator Gary Wright from Colorado was running for the presidential nomination of his party back in 1984--he almost made it but was undone when it became known he had an affair with a much younger woman named Donna Rice--she was from Irmo, SC.

She was a "looker" in those days as I recall!!! lol

allbimyself
Jan 17, 2009, 8:40 AM
This is pretty obscure now---but former Democratic US Senator Gary Wright from Colorado was running for the presidential nomination of his party back in 1984--he almost made it but was undone when it became known he had an affair with a much younger woman named Donna Rice--she was from Irmo, SC.

She was a "looker" in those days as I recall!!! lol

I thought that was Hart.

12voltman59
Jan 17, 2009, 2:19 PM
I thought that was Hart.

You are correct--BRAIN FART!!!

canuckotter
Jan 17, 2009, 2:28 PM
Sounds like Kentucky has Celtic roots... ;)

Ally Kat
Jan 17, 2009, 7:41 PM
Sounds like Kentucky has Celtic roots... ;)

Kentucky. like the rest of the south, has a very high percentage of people of scotch-irish descent..........sorry the history teacher in me jumped out lol

12voltman59
Jan 17, 2009, 11:26 PM
Ally Kat is correct---many of the people who came to inhabit most of what we now call Appalachia-----was settled by people of "Scotch-Irsh" descent.

The modern form of what is called "Bluegrass" music had its direct roots back to the highlands of Scotland and Ireland.

It is an interesting thing--at least to my mind--to study that connection--for me on two fronts---while I live in SW Ohio----most of us who are here come from that sort of heritage---I am more pure Irish--but also have Scottish heritage too--and the fact that even though I live in an area bordering Appalachia---I have spent a great deal of time in it since its so close and also--that many people who came to live in this area hailed from places like Kentucky, West Virginia, Tenessee and the mountain regions of the Carolinas.

They came here in great numbers during WWII to work the factories that made war materiel and when the war ended---to make cars, trucks, and appliances for companies like GM, Ford and Chrysler.

My hometown of Dayton, was one of the important epicenters of Bluegrass music in its early days----but I did not come to it back then---I came to it later in life after I had come to discover and love Celtic music when it had its big surge of popularity beginning in the late 1980s continuing into the 1990s.

I came to appreciate both forms of music and felt an attraction to both----perhaps there is some form of genetic component to music!!

Music ethnologists in the mid-20th century certainly documented the clear connection of Appalachian "mountain music" to the music of Ireland and Scotland. This remains a major field of study at a number of universities here in the US.

wanderingrichard
Jan 18, 2009, 2:15 PM
lots of fond memories of kentucky from when i was stationed at fort knox so many years ago....yeh, kentucky women, wow, i learned so much about romance, and myself, from dating there. parties that lasted all night and into the next morning, sure there was alchohol there but people were adult enough [ in most cases] not to try and drink the place dry, so you could go get another one at 3 am and actually be surprised to still have half a glass left while sitting on the porch watching the sun come up with a romantic head laying on your shoulder....just such great relaxing nights full of interesting peoples and conversations.

don't forget the bass fishing. or little "blink and you miss it" towns with names like Dead Horse, Wax, Marions Corners, etc.

miss the cooking. it's honest, down to earth "good eats" as a certain tv host says. always heard, 'eat, there's more where that came from"

geesh, kinda makes me want to go back..