PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing news...

**Peg**
Jan 9, 2009, 8:55 AM
http://tinyurl.com/8829ab

Mindy (the author) entitled this article "A twisted homosexual world" :

Growing numbers of gay men are having unprotected sex and some of them are either deliberately transmitting HIV to other men or are trying to get infected, says an alarmed academic.

So-called bug-chasers are HIV-negative men who are either unopposed to getting infected or are actively pursuing it, says Kevin Alderson, an associate professor of counselling psychology at the University of Calgary.

In turn, gift-givers -- what a terrible misnomer -- are gay men who are willing to infect others. Some of them will tell their HIV-negative partners of their plans -- attracting the bug-chasers. Other gift-givers, however, don't let on, says Alderson.

They may have a warped sense of altruism by wanting to pass something on to others or they may simply be "the worst kind of hedonistic psychopaths" who don't care about others, he says.

"It is twisted. I can barely understand it," says Alderson, who gave a presentation on the increase in unprotected gay sex, known as barebacking, at a sexual health conference in Edmonton last year.

There are several reasons why bug-chasers try to get infected, he says. Some are so fed up with the constant worry about catching HIV that they seek it out. "Once they're infected, then their anxiety's over because they've created their own self-fulfilling prophecy."

Others are sexual risk-takers or want HIV out of loneliness or as an odd testament to group solidarity. "I'd rather belong to a different group," says an incredulous Alderson. "Why belong to the HIV-positive group?"

Deliberately acquiring HIV is also seen as a political activity, a deranged backlash against the stigmatization of homosexuals. To these determined bug-chasers, getting infected is "empowering," says Alderson.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Columnists/Jacobs_Mindelle/2009/01/09/7964761-sun.html

A twisted homosexual world

No scientific studies have been done on gay men who are either trying to infect others or become infected. But in 2004, U.S. researchers looked at 24,000 Internet profiles on a website that targets barebackers. Of those, 1,600 said they were either bug-chasers or gift-givers.

Sexual connections over the Internet, party drugs, which reduce inhibitions, and condom fatigue have contributed to the increase in barebacking, says Alderson.

Researchers estimate that up to 45% of gay men are engaging in unprotected sex, he adds.

"To be fair, the majority of HIV-positive people do tell their partners before they involve themselves in any sexual activity. But there are those who don't."

And barebacking can mean dire consequences even for those who are already sick, he says, because they can get another strain of HIV that's resistant to drugs.

A larger problem is that most gay men don't know if they're infected, says Alderson. A 2005 U.S. study found that 77% of young gay males who tested positive for HIV incorrectly believed they were uninfected.

BAREBACKING

A paper published last year in the journal AIDS Behaviour also expressed concern about the barebacking phenomenon. Not only has the Internet been instrumental in linking bareback partners, it may be increasing the social pressure on some in the gay community to view unprotected sex as normal, the authors warn.

Furthermore, 18% of the barebackers surveyed for the study said they'd had unprotected sex with a woman in the past two months, indicating a "cross-over" HIV risk between gay males and the larger community.

"There's nothing cool about becoming HIV-positive," says Alderson. "Realize there is no cure for HIV. The virus is still there and it's on the increase. Protect yourself by wearing condoms."

elian
Jan 9, 2009, 9:42 AM
Do people actually romanticize this? Do they really think it's glamorous? Do they do it for the thrill? Maybe out of vengeance?

I went to visit a gay couple that I know and they brought out a huge photo album - with picture after picture of male friends they once knew..and all I heard for each of those pages was "do you remember this guy.."

More than half the people in that book are no longer alive today - I guess they either were a little TOO nice as bottoms or got wrapped up in drugs or whatever in the 70's.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have to take care of someone day in and day for years as you slowly watch them waste away into nothing.

I can't imagine anything glamorous about that..especially when you are likely to either die alone or put an incredible burden on your family in the process.

BiFtM4SexyFun
Jan 9, 2009, 9:48 AM
And of COURSE the author failed to mention that the fastest growing demographic of newly HIV infected folks is African-American women, who are catching it from their husbands/boyfriends who are on the DL, and having unprotected sex. This sounds to me like another attempt to make HIV "The GAY Disease", and to continue to vilify the gay community. LOTS of folks are having unprotected sex, not just gay men.

While this whole "bug-chasing/giving" thing is as sick as anything anyone has EVER heard, let's not fall prey to just buying into ANYthing that comes out of Academia, because sometimes it is wrong-headed too.

_Joe_
Jan 9, 2009, 10:01 AM
Somethingawful forums used to do a weekend web, where they found a forum that was totally f'ed up and posted tidbits form it. One week, they found a forum full of guys that had HIV and bragged about how infected they were, and coordinated with others to keep spreading it - trying to see who could get the worst case of HIV.

It was a very depressing forum to be introduced to.

MarieDelta
Jan 9, 2009, 11:46 AM
Remember that humans arent always the most sensible beings.

Folks used to romanticize tuberculosis too.

I guess some of these folks are those that are self hating, deluded, or both or ?

Its crazy. Because that would be a horrible way to die IMHO.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 9, 2009, 2:33 PM
There be some sick puppies in the world, Darlings. Just Please please be safe and well. I cannot imagie someone wanted this horible disease or wanting to give it to someone else. I've seen people that I lvoe wasteing away from Cancer, this isnt any different. Death is Death, and I'd hate for anyone I know to go thru this because of somebodys stupidity. :(
Your Cat

rdy2go
Jan 9, 2009, 3:32 PM
With all the misery that virus is responsible for, why would anyone deliberately try to pass it on, and even more perplexing, deliberately try to get infected? It boggles the mind doesn't it? Do these people realize that it is not just them that are affected. There are others to be considered, like those left behind if death occurs, family, partners, etc. I suppose these "gift givers" or "gift receivers" if that is the right term, wouldn't consider that. Maybe, because they have no regard for thier own health and well being, it would be asking to much to consider others. The fact that HIV and aids exists at all is bad enough, but come on, this is really too extreme. I am very upset to hear about this, but it must serve as a reminder for everyone to be careful and safe.

Realist
Jan 9, 2009, 11:28 PM
This is just one more of many reasons that I never have sex with anyone I don't know well, and trust completely! I have passed up opportunities to have sex with some very pretty people............because, even before AIDS, I was cautious and very careful, not to fall into that dangerous trap. I value my health and that of my lovers and will never let a moment of passion put our lives in danger.

**Peg**
Jan 10, 2009, 7:33 AM
.... but it must serve as a reminder for everyone to be careful and safe.

I had never heard of the practice, but that is precisely why I posted the story.

drawingboard3
Jan 10, 2009, 1:32 PM
These people need to be quarantined and put on their own private island so that they can infect each other all they want. They are the sole reason why HIV/AIDS, after all these years, is still stereotyped as a 'gay' disease and they have no business being alive.

hudson9
Jan 10, 2009, 1:55 PM
Some people have come to the mistaken conclusion that, because there are now people who have survived a long time with HIV, thanks to the latest "drug cocktails" (think Magic Johnson, for example) that it's no longer such a big deal. "OK," they think, "so I'll just take the drugs" (even if it is for the rest of their lives).

What people fail to understand, is that NO drug (especially not those used to treat HIV) is without risks and side-effects of its own. People being treated for HIV undoubtedly live longer than those who aren't treated, but they can't count on living a LONG time -- someone who has now survived even 20 years with HIV, who contracted it at age 25, would now only be 45. We are only now reaching the timeframe where we are beginning to see the effects on people's health as they reach their 50's/60's and see the effects of taking these drugs for 20 + years. Think: increased incidence and earlier onset of cancer, heart disease, liver, kidney and thyroid problems...

Bottom line: you may no longer be at high risk to die in your 20's, but you're going to be much more likely to die in your 50's or 60's than in your 80's.
:(

HighEnergy
Jan 10, 2009, 4:38 PM
I've read and heard about his before and find it very strange. Especially after spending a lot of time talking to and helping out a couple of my friends who have had it for years. 20 years of antiHIV drugs is a bitch. Why anyone would want that is beyond me.

Hephaestion
Jan 10, 2009, 8:22 PM
A difficult situation to comprehend. Four comments

1) A friend's wife was an active pathology laboratory manager of a hospital group. Apparently 80% of the local population belonged to a certain racial grouping and of those 80% were testing HIV positive in routine procedures. Sharps accidents were seen as almost inevitable and so she quit and moved to a 'less dangerous environment'.

2) In some countries, anyone who carries a potetially lethal communicable disease and acts irresponsibly in its context is not treated but 'removed' from society for the greater good with criminal proceedings being the least drastic step.

3) Maybe the virus chasers are under the impression that they can develop an immunity amongst their ranks as have some prostitutes in eastern Africa

4) Don't sleep around would seem apt advice, with or without condoms.

writes at night
Jan 10, 2009, 8:38 PM
I have seen, firsthand, the ugliness that is the end stages of HIV/AIDS. I can promise you, there is no romance to it, no glory. There is only pain and suffering.

I can't understand those that feel the need to seek out this horror, or would wish to inflict it to others. Then again, I have never understood the idea of anonymous sexual encounters.

Be safe, play well, and above all love yourself enough to care.