PDA

View Full Version : Disney World Help

HighEnergy
Dec 30, 2008, 6:39 PM
The girls and I are planning a Disney World vacation this fall. They are off school the week of Halloween so I've heard that's a good time of year to go.

Anyone have any input or suggestions? I went 15 years ago with the older child and now the little ones are 11 & 13 so I'd like to go again. We'll be on a shoestring (single mom and a realtor in this FABulous market!). So far I've not gotten an answer to can you take a picnic lunch to these parks? When we go to the museum or zoo here I always pack a simple yogurt or peanut butter and apples in a cooler backpack.

Any suggestions on finding a cheap place to stay? Cheap hotel? Cheap transportation, etc?

I'm thinking some of you local folks might have some tricks up your sleeves you might want to share, or places we simply must see, best beaches, and what the weather might be in late October.

Thanks in advance for help in this completely off topic thread!

darkeyes
Dec 30, 2008, 6:51 PM
Ifya read bout Walt's political sympathies an attitudes HE babes..an how an wy the Disney Corp is run an wy it produces the poop it dus... mayb yad think again bout spendin a penny ofya ya hard earned dosh on 'em... won allow our kids 2 wotch ther tripe howeva much they mite wail bout it... spend ya money on summat worthwile an c the world...don give it 2 a rite wing reactionary corporation that wud c us all shuvved bak inta the closet at the very least an lokked ther for eternity...

Bluebiyou
Dec 30, 2008, 6:53 PM
Stay way out of town; halfway to Tampa; gasoline is cheap. 1.5 hour to 2 hour travel time from Tampa. Now is the best time of year (ignoring December - least crowds).
Multipark pass. Tower of terror was my favorite ride. As as older person, Epcot center was my favorite. Spain, France, Germany, United States, UK.... etc. very nice.
January in Florida (normal luck holding) should feel like springtime in Ohio. :)

darkeyes
Dec 30, 2008, 6:56 PM
Stay way out of town; halfway to Tampa; gasoline is cheap. 1.5 hour to 2 hour travel time from Tampa. Now is the best time of year (ignoring December - least crowds).
Multipark pass. Tower of terror was my favorite ride. As as older person, Epcot center was my favorite. Spain, France, Germany, United States, UK.... etc. very nice.
January in Florida (normal luck holding) should feel like springtime in Ohio. :)

oi u...don encourage 'er... :eek: me means wot me sez...:tong:

HighEnergy
Dec 30, 2008, 7:18 PM
Ifya read bout Walt's political sympathies an attitudes HE babes..an how an wy the Disney Corp is run an wy it produces the poop it dus... mayb yad think again bout spendin a penny ofya ya hard earned dosh on 'em... won allow our kids 2 wotch ther tripe howeva much they mite wail bout it... spend ya money on summat worthwile an c the world...don give it 2 a rite wing reactionary corporation that wud c us all shuvved bak inta the closet at the very least an lokked ther for eternity...

Fran Darling, I spend most of my time corrupting my children with my liberal ways. I can ruin them for a couple of days giving them the thing all children love.

darkeyes
Dec 30, 2008, 7:30 PM
Fran Darling, I spend most of my time corrupting my children with my liberal ways. I can ruin them for a couple of days giving them the thing all children love.
s'ok..let Disney get them young... best way innit? They get hooked..luff the Disney cobblers an r so much more difficult 2 break from the habit... as the man sed "gimme the child an I will giveya the man...".. not riskin it wiv our kids....wee bittie advice...nor shud u... ur choice HE babes...

TaylorMade
Dec 30, 2008, 7:30 PM

Uh, Disney has some really good LBGT/domestic partner policies (I worked for them for a short time and made me feel comfortable as an out bisexual) and holds a really big thing during gay pride month.

Walt Disney aside. . .I think they've made up for it in their further activities.

Now, I admit I would rather go to Universal.

*Taylor*

darkeyes
Dec 30, 2008, 7:46 PM
Uh, Disney has some really good LBGT/domestic partner policies (I worked for them for a short time and made me feel comfortable as an out bisexual) and holds a really big thing during gay pride month.

Walt Disney aside. . .I think they've made up for it in their further activities.

*Taylor*Funnily enuff me knos that Disney the Corp isn wot Walt invented an its attitudes 2 its workforce r diff from owt he wud like... but thats due 2 the evolution a society an law an its sensa self preservation... ifya read Taylor wot me sed tho..me complaint wos bout its mushy output... THAT has as much value as stikkin a bad trifle in the face of an Iguana.... an the sad thing is so many peeps go go ...awwwwwwww.... an it makes ne 1 wiv haff a brain rush off an b sick...

An me prefers universal an all as it happens... in me own perverse way a course...tee hee:tong:

TaylorMade
Dec 30, 2008, 7:52 PM
Funnily enuff me knos that Disney the Corp isn wot Walt invented an its attitudes 2 its workforce r diff from owt he wud like... but thats due 2 the evolution a society an law an its sensa self preservation... ifya read Taylor wot me sed tho..me complaint wos bout its mushy output... THAT has as much value as stikkin a bad trifle in the face of an Iguana.... an the sad thing is so many peeps go go ...awwwwwwww.... an it makes ne 1 wiv haff a brain rush off an b sick...

An me prefers universal an all as it happens... in me own perverse way a course...tee hee:tong:

Then why bring up Walt's past and politics if you know and I know the company has changed (you know what they say about staying silent v. saying something and removing all doubt). . .calling them right wing if you know they have progressive policies only invites public correction.

If you hate their movies, just say so...

*Taylor*

teather
Dec 30, 2008, 7:57 PM
Back to the main topic...
The last time I went to Disney, They were checking bags at the front gate. The couple in front of us had packed a light lunch and the guard let them bring in a loaf of french bread, fruit and cheese but they had to throw out their drinks because they were in glass bottles. Hope that helps you plan. Have fun.

darkeyes
Dec 30, 2008, 8:19 PM
Then why bring up Walt's past and politics if you know and I know the company has changed (you know what they say about staying silent v. saying something and removing all doubt). . .calling them right wing if you know they have progressive policies only invites public correction.

If you hate their movies, just say so...

*Taylor*
Thot me did say me h8ed ther movies..o well...mayb not clear enuff...DISNEY FILMS R A RITE LOAD A POOP INTENDED 2 DO NOWT ELSE BUT IMPRESS UPON THE KIDS A THE WORLD SHITTY "AMERICAN" VALUES...

Rite wing organisations r moved from the riginal stance by eitha law or public pressure...the fact that they MAY b a lil less shitty 2 employees has summat 2 do wiv both...they didn do it wivout pressure... is that progressive Taylor? if dun unda pressure? Its betta than not at all...but wen summat is dun haff heartedly is that progress? Has Disney taken it all 2 heart an embraced it? Disney's past is still parta the equation Taylor...an Disney's past will stilll in time show wetha or not it is committed 2 progress... me own view? Well...cynic as me is as eva... its very doubtful.. but time will prove me rite oir rong...lets c how the world pans out...

But ta hun...yas still 1a me fave lil sparrin partners...:tong:

Realist
Dec 30, 2008, 8:51 PM
I used to know a couple who rented out one, or two bedrooms near there. They'd let tourists who had good references, share their kitchen and laundry facilities, in Orlando. I'm sure it was big savings from Motels/hotels, there. Sadly, the folks I knew no longer live there. But, people who still do that may put ads in travel magazines.

Not sure how they found the folks who stayed there, but many came back every year and kept reservations for them. I live about 40 miles from there, so it's probably too far to come this far. You might want to think about looking in and around between now and then, though. Maybe an Orlando realtor might have a lead for you.

onewhocares
Dec 30, 2008, 8:52 PM
Hi Miss Energy....

I have a friend who has time shares at Disney and knows what I believe to be everything about that place. She has helped us so many times with the help of the Disney Chat room members when we have gone there. If you PM me privately I shall put the two of you together.

Not every company has policies that we all agree with....but let us be real...we are not going to Disney for Politically Correct viewpoints with young children. But rather to enrich their lives.

Belle

arana
Dec 30, 2008, 9:10 PM
I don't know if you've already done this or not but Disney puts out a video they will mail to you with all the information about their parks, hotels, etc.

You can find out prices online as well... go to priceline.com or one of those types of reservation sites and compare prices to what disney and surrounding hotel/motel's have to offer. Disney also has the less expensive rooms for families on a budget where there is a kitchenette available so you can save food money buying what you want and preparing it yourself.

Since you have some time you'll be able to do more research which is great. I don't know about Disney World but Disneyland is murder during the holidays. The lines and crowds are horrible....but I still love Tink and the Haunted Mansion at Halloween...despite what Fran says. :tong:

HighEnergy
Dec 30, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the posts, even Fran's input. Yeah, some of their stuff is trash, but every kid wants to go to Disney. It's a lovely place and makes great memories.

My mother would NEVER take me there because she didn't care for that Mickey Mouse shit. When I went for the first time at 25, it was a magical place. I'm gonna share it with my girls.

The kids suffer enough when their friends see my political signs in the yard, read the bumper stickers on my car, and get made fun of when they were little for letting their Ken and Barbie dolls has same sex weddings in preschool, not being allowed to shop at Wal-mart, packing their lunch in recycle-able containers, not plastic bags... Not to mention the we don't watch tv, and we still read books together.

But thanks to everyone for advice. Yes, we have about 10 months to plan and find deals. Just now I found Teva leather sandals that usually go for $80 for $29 so long days of walking will be more tolerable.

We'd also prefer to stay relatively close to Disney so we can get to and from on public transportation. It's not something that's functional in Dayton, so it'll be a good experience. There's what looks like the tackiest hotel on the planet that's bright purple and the room rate in October will be $34. Of course the kids WANT to stay in the purple castle shaped tacky-rama joint. So, anyone ever hear of the Magic Castle Inn, bad or good? If it's an ok place, I'd be thrilled at $34 a night!

Thank you so much about the lunch comment. No glass. Got it!

anda692
Dec 30, 2008, 10:19 PM
try mousesavers.com they let you know of some of the deals offered at Disney. Also we just hit the travel sites, Hotels.com, expedia ect. and found a real cheap hotel that offered a shuttle to the parks. Can't remember the name of it but it was just outside the parks, and even had a pool.
Our view is that we aren't there to spend time in a room so I would just go with the cheapest one that has a shuttle to Disney. Good luck and you'll have a great time Lynn

elian
Dec 30, 2008, 10:23 PM
The last trip I made was to EPCOT, I had been to Universal, Magic Kingdom and Sea World before. I was a little disappointed because as a geeky type of person I was hoping for more educational and scientific themed stuff. It seems most folks don't want to learn anything these days - they just want to be entertained - and it /was/ entertaining if the Corporate sponsors for all of the rides don't bother you. For example, you might be amazed to learn that as of last Summer the "car of the future" is the Saturn Green Line Aura from GM. I guess a hybrid sedan with a variable speed transmission IS a miracle for GM, but I'm pretty sure Toyota has been building the Prius for almost 10 years now.

I liked the monorail, architecture of the buildings, the different flavors of Coca-Cola around the world you can sample, the touch-surface table in the hall of innovation, Soarin' (hang-glider ride), the street performers (we saw an Elizabethan comedy troupe, Chinese Acrobats, an Italian Juggler and three Japanese ladies banging a HUGE drum. We ate at an English themed pub.

The fountains are also very neat, reminiscent of something you might see in Vegas. We were too tired to stay for the laser show (which I hear is grand).

Also had an opportunity to revist Sea World - which I actually liked better than EPCOT. Got to see a neat pet show where they use rescued ASPCA animals, some sort of water ballet, shark and penguin tanks, sea lion show, fed the stingrays and sea lions (this costs extra for the bait/food but it was a neat experience). Saw Clydesdales pulling an olde German "beer wagon" (it's an Anheuser Busch owned park) and the street sweeper coming BEHIND the beer wagon and horses about 5 minutes later. Had a fairly worthless caesar salad for lunch from an ala-carte style cafeteria line.

Sea World just opened a new water ride park that looked pretty neat but didn't get a chance to go.

At the time I was staying with some friends and family who live about an hour away from Orlando. From what I understand supposedly if you decide to go to Disney they also have a budget line of hotel and they have direct transportation from the airport to the parks if you don't want to pay for a rental car (and you'll ONLY be going to Disney) I can't imagine hotel in Orlando is that cheap - but I've always been fortunate enough to be able to stay with family when I visit so I am not the best to ask maybe.

Florida DOES have a lot of NATURAL beauty as well - State parks with springs, manatees, St. Augustine, wildlife refuge. I don't know the rules about being able to bring food into the parks - I would imagine they would discourage it - we had a quick breakfast at the drive thru on the way to the park and lunch inside - that was enough until we exited the park at around 7PM.

From my time at the Magic Kingdom I seem to remember thinking that if you REALLY wanted to see everything you could literally spend a day in each of those themed areas..be sure to stay hydrated because with young kids you might be likely to stay even later ..

-E

TaylorMade
Dec 30, 2008, 11:18 PM
Thot me did say me h8ed ther movies..o well...mayb not clear enuff...DISNEY FILMS R A RITE LOAD A POOP INTENDED 2 DO NOWT ELSE BUT IMPRESS UPON THE KIDS A THE WORLD SHITTY "AMERICAN" VALUES...

Rite wing organisations r moved from the riginal stance by eitha law or public pressure...the fact that they MAY b a lil less shitty 2 employees has summat 2 do wiv both...they didn do it wivout pressure... is that progressive Taylor? if dun unda pressure? Its betta than not at all...but wen summat is dun haff heartedly is that progress? Has Disney taken it all 2 heart an embraced it? Disney's past is still parta the equation Taylor...an Disney's past will stilll in time show wetha or not it is committed 2 progress... me own view? Well...cynic as me is as eva... its very doubtful.. but time will prove me rite oir rong...lets c how the world pans out...

But ta hun...yas still 1a me fave lil sparrin partners...:tong:

Do you know how they ended up changing their policy, or are you assuming the change due to your perception of the founder? That's what I am seeing with you. . .you have imposed your assumptions on Disney based on Walt's beliefs and your politics.

Working there... I would DEFINITELY say that Equal treatment of their LBGT employees is NOT a problem with them.(They have other issues, but that is NOT one) It's not half-hearted or done under pressure.

There is a time to be a cynic...I would definitely say, having been there and knowing what I know. . .Disney and the gay community isn't something I'd waste my precious skepticism on.

Their movies on the other hand? Cynic away.

*Taylor*

And High E, just remember this : you're not going to be spending alot of time in your room, so what you need is someplace clean and safe for your girls. If what they can promise is clean and safe, I'd definately jump on $34 a night. When I used to ask my friends to come up to Orlando to visit me, I'd choose this really crappy hotel across the street from Universal (I think it's called Universal Tower)... the rooms were clean and with Universal across the street, we were all happy as pigs in schit.

Adora
Dec 31, 2008, 5:59 AM
hi. my family of 4 went to Disney a few yrs ago for 8 days ( LOVED IT ). we stayed at a resort in the park and saved a ton of money by doing this. also, if ur kids eat anything like mine, a lot, we purchased a dining card in our package, saved a lot on meals and the food there is awesome. see a travel agent, they were a big help. you also need to consider parking and all the other lil add on cost. staying on site, bus picks u up and drops u off atthe front gate * perk for me lol and most important COMFORTABLE SHOES!! hope you have a great time. let me know or any questions look me up. xoxox

darkeyes
Dec 31, 2008, 6:37 AM
Do you know how they ended up changing their policy, or are you assuming the change due to your perception of the founder? That's what I am seeing with you. . .you have imposed your assumptions on Disney based on Walt's beliefs and your politics.

Working there... I would DEFINITELY say that Equal treatment of their LBGT employees is NOT a problem with them.(They have other issues, but that is NOT one) It's not half-hearted or done under pressure.

There is a time to be a cynic...I would definitely say, having been there and knowing what I know. . .Disney and the gay community isn't something I'd waste my precious skepticism on.

Their movies on the other hand? Cynic away.

*Taylor*

And High E, just remember this : you're not going to be spending alot of time in your room, so what you need is someplace clean and safe for your girls. If what they can promise is clean and safe, I'd definately jump on $34 a night. When I used to ask my friends to come up to Orlando to visit me, I'd choose this really crappy hotel across the street from Universal (I think it's called Universal Tower)... the rooms were clean and with Universal across the street, we were all happy as pigs in schit.
.... bein the season a gud will Fran blows Taylor big kissie an shrugs in surrender... :bigrin:

...blows HE big kissie an tells 'er 2 enjoy wen she gets ther...

Sarasvati
Dec 31, 2008, 11:01 AM
s'ok..let Disney get them young... best way innit? They get hooked..luff the Disney cobblers an r so much more difficult 2 break from the habit... as the man sed "gimme the child an I will giveya the man...".. not riskin it wiv our kids....wee bittie advice...nor shud u... ur choice HE babes...

"Your miserable ideas of cultural value and progress can not spoil the party.
While you're assembling your firing squad and loading your children with drudgery I'll be hurrying with the rest (and probably your resentful children too) to take my place by the wall alongside Mickey Mouse, Snow White, Bill Gates, Sir Elton John and Abba. Down, down we go! Another blast of your beliefs and Thomas More can get gunned too.

While poking your children's eyes out I guess you'll go out tonight and get yourself completely rat arsed and convince yourself that you are a real life Cinderella leading us all to Utopia.

Oh I'll top your glasses up full as you like. I'll hand you another and another. Hey you really are Cinders. You don't need a cracked mirror to tell you how right you are, cause you've got the booze.

You can get completely smashed because I ain't going to your party.

I'm joining Pluto and Goofey and we're heading off to Disney with Dumbo."

Love Bambi

FalconAngel
Dec 31, 2008, 3:12 PM
Up until the economy went to hell, we went to DW about 4-6 times a year.

Staying on/off property;

If you stay off Disney property, then you are going to pay a lot in parking fees and spend a lot of time in travel.

If you stay on property, then you will pay a lot more, maybe a bit less if you stay in one of the non-Disney properties near Downtown Disney, Which has Disneyquest (perfect for all ages). All of the hotels on Disney, even the non-Disney hotels, have free transport to all of the parks. This removes the need for paying to park your car. Also, Disney's staff takes very good care of it's guests, at least on the higher end properties (can't speak for their "economy" properties, that are not more than a standard hotel room). But still, better than the vast majority of hotels.

At all of the Disney parks, they do Pin Trading. This is a lot of fun for kids and us adults as well, but it can become very expensive very fast, if you don't watch out (we've already spent a few thousand on it between us:tong:).
Cast members with green lanyards (or green belt pads) only trade with small children and all other cast members with lanyards or belt bads (you'll know them when you see them) can trade with anyone. Sometimes the cast members have a mystery trade. You trade or not without knowing what pin it is you are trading for. That can be fun, too. They do this at every Disney property and all of the Disney stores all over the world, btw.

If you start it, then get a starter pack and some cheap Disney pins to start the kids off with. They will be trading up during the stay there.

Things to remember to do;

Get the multi-park pass for the duration of your stay. In the end it will save you a lot.

When you get your tickets, they will ask about a meal deal thing. Get it. It will pay for itself before the second day is done.

Whether you stay on or off property, take a small backpack with you and make sure that you take drinks and snacks with you when you go, because the food and drink is at a premium in all of the parks. If you can, and the kids don't suffer from "toocoolitis", then do a character lunch or dinner at least once.

If you take a camera, bring lot's of film or a way to save a lot of digital images. You WILL eat through a huge amount of pictures that you will want to keep.

Must do;

Magic Kingdom:

You said that it is the week of Halloween, so bring costumes for everyone, because Disney has Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween, usually on a Friday evening (check the Disney website for the actual days and dates). It is a lot of fun for all ages, too.

Haunted Mansion. It has been updated as of last year and is an even better ride than it was before. If you saw the movie, then you will see things in there directly from the movie that were not in the ride before.

Tom Sawyer's island is great for the kids. They will have a blast there.

Pirates of the Caribbean. Like Haunted Mansion, it has also added characters from the movie and is a better ride.

They just upgraded Space Mountain a couple years ago. Take that one. Actually all of tommorrowland has been changed since you last went.

If you happen to be there at 5pm, then make sure that you are near the front area on Mainstreet USA for the flag retirement ceremony. Every day, they have a visiting guest veteran there to participate and it is a very nice ceremony.

And do not miss the Spectro Magic Parade.

EPCOT:

Go and do Soarin' at EPCOT. Get there when the gates open and do it first or get a fast pass, because the line for that ride is always long after the gates have been open for a while. They have upgraded Spaceship Earth at Epcot and it is a much better ride than it was. We got lucky and did a load test on it before they reopened the ride to the public.
There are a few other rides in the same building as Soarin' that are good for young and old alike. They even have a boat ride through their operating hydroponics labs, that is both interesting and educational.

Do the Test Track ride. You may need to get fast pass for this ride.

Mission Space is good for the more adventuresome in the group. Disney worked closely with NASA to make this a "beyond e-ticket" ride. Get a fast pass for this one, too. Don't do the motion ride if you suffer from severe motion sickness as the ride is a 4-G centrifuge, similar to what NASA uses.

Journey into Imagination and Honey I Shrunk the Audience are both great rides for kids of all ages.

Get pictures with figment. The kids will love it.

Ride the Finding Nemo ride. It is a great little aquarium ride with some great animation story going along in it.

There is also a live Q&A with the animated Crush, from Finding Nemo. The kids might get a kick out of it since he interacts with the audience.

If the kids like educational shows then seeing all of the shows in the countries are good, particularly USA, Canada and China. The boat ride in Mexico is nice when you need a break and want 5 minutes to sit and relax, but don't want to miss anything.

Disney's Hollywood Studios:

Indiana Jones show is very good. Get there early or get fast pass.

The Star Wars ride is still there and also good.

Lights Camera Action is interesting. They show you how they do movie stunts and put on a stunt show for you.

The kids will love the Honey I Shrunk the Kids, play area.

Muppets 3-D is great. We never miss it when we go there.

If you like rides like Mission Space, then do Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster.

Do the Narnia show and Toy Story ride as well.

Also there is a great show, every night, that is lights and fireworks and stage called Fantasmic. It is well worth getting there Very Early to get a good seat.

Make sure that you have lunch at the Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dining/diningDetail?id=SciFiDineInTheaterDiningPage It is very cool. Make your reservations the night before so you can get in without any hassles.

Disney's Animal Kingdom

Basically, this park is a huge open air zoo. Has a lot of good stuff for kids, but not a lot that adults will tend to enjoy as much.

Tree of Life. Great thing to see and inside is the cool little show "It's Tough to be a Bug".

Expedition Everest. E-ticket ride.

Finding Nemo - The Musical. This is a live action music show of the movie. Well worth going to see.

Downtown Disney

Downtown Disney is a big outdoor shoping plaza at one end and Circe Du Soleil, Disney Quest, a few restaurants, a movie theater and more shops at the other end.

DisneyQuest and the shops will likely be of more interest to you.

DisneyQuest is a 3 story interactive arcade with games for the whole family. Some of them are a team effort, like the river raft and pirate games.

They also have a virtual roller coaster ride. You design and name your coaster, then you get in the full motion simulator and ride it. Afterward, you can get a video of your coaster experience. I made one that was 4 out of 5 screams. Next time I want to break the screamometer.

There are a ton of things that you will find to do there that is way beyond what I have suggested here. So when you go, enjoy.

HighEnergy
Dec 31, 2008, 6:32 PM
Gee Falcon, can we just take you with us as our handsome tour guide?

Thanks for all the tips. We aren't planning on renting a car until we go up to Silver Springs. We're planning on the local bus to save on that expense. I've heard since the Purple TackyRama is 3 miles from Disney and on the busline, it's not a problem getting there.

Although, I am considering economy hotels at Disney since there's the open early/stay late at the parks if you stay at their hotels.

Next question is: where's the closest beach from that area? Is there a good place to see manatees in the wild near there? The youngest has a manatee thing going ever since she was about 12 months and they opened the manatee exhibit in the Cincinnati Zoo. At 12 months unless she got at least 30-45 minutes to watch them, she would scream blue bloody murder if you tried to get her to leave. I always planned that one for when I needed a long rest for my back!

12voltman59
Dec 31, 2008, 8:53 PM
As others have provided the info about accomadations--you can find deals--but when it comes to food--there is no bringing in ANYTHING such as food or water---maybe if you have some special dietary needs and have a doctor's orders that you have to eat something special--beyond that--FORGET IT!!!

Be prepared to shell out big bucks for Disney food---for what you pay for one bottle of water alone--you can buy a nice supply at SAM's or COSTCO.

In spite of Disney's politics and such--it is a great place to go--and you do learn some interesting things visting EPCOT---I love EPCOT.

The girls will have a great time--I say go for it--just set up a special food kittie and put in some extra each week till ya head south.

elian
Dec 31, 2008, 9:46 PM
These sites are close to where my relatives live - about 1hr 15min from Disney.

http://www.stetson.edu/~rsitler/Nature

I remember also seeing manatees at Sea World.

There may be something closer the locals are aware of..

-E

Vikkster230
Jan 1, 2009, 2:16 AM
Hey there,
Don't know if anyone else suggested this, but I'm gonna regardless. My hubby grew up in the area and used to frequent there all the time. Start at the back of the park and work your way backwards. This way you'll miss the crowds. He also said that the kid meals aren't priced too badly and they should be ok foodwise. Good luck and let us know how you made out...

sdnaustin
Jan 1, 2009, 9:10 AM
High ENergy...I wnet last fall and have suggestions:

Their value resorts are reletively cheap, we stayed for around $80 a night...and the best part is the extra hours, second best part, you can buy one of their dinning plans...sounds expensive at first when you look at prices, but figure you will pay much more in the park for food. Also, if you stay onsite, you may get your purchases taken back to your hotel for you, not have to carry them around all day.

Also the value hotels have a snack bar that (at least then) sold a drink mug that was good for free refills in you hotel thru-out your stay. It was $12, but we got our money's worth filling it up before we left each morning, and again on returning.

For the kids...there are some great...cheap....things to do for souviners...there are pressed penny machines everywhere and for less than $10 they can get a book to store them in...bring rolls of pennies and quarters, for 51 cents each, it's great. Also Epcot and Animal Kindom have special kid areas with activities...you do have to, but they sell passports/log books, that kids can take to these areas to get filled in...and then, the best, but slightly more expensive...pin trading.

Almost all the staff ("cast members") wear lanyards with pins on them, and the whole reason is for people to trade. you can buy cheap lanyards and pin sets, and then teh kids can swap them with people, build their own set.

Email me if you want more advice....we are going back in 2010...too fun.

HighEnergy
Jan 1, 2009, 10:18 AM
These sites are close to where my relatives live - about 1hr 15min from Disney.

http://www.stetson.edu/~rsitler/Nature

I remember also seeing manatees at Sea World.

There may be something closer the locals are aware of..

-E

Great Site! Thank you! It should be noted that we usually hang out in parks and museums. They've been to Kings Island once with my sweetheart and once with their sister. So we are grateful for info outside of the usual Disney stuff as well. I've read that the Cape Canaveral beach is amazing. I'll have to find out if the busline goes out that way, or plan it for one of the days we're getting a rental car.

Thanks to all of you for your info.

Volty, they've changed the park rules to allow you to bring in soft coolers (which I picked up a backpack variety) as long as there is no glass or straws.

FalconAngel
Jan 1, 2009, 11:08 AM
Gee Falcon, can we just take you with us as our handsome tour guide?

Only if the wife can come along. She's the real Disney expert between us. Me, I'm just a big kid.

Thanks for all the tips. We aren't planning on renting a car until we go up to Silver Springs. We're planning on the local bus to save on that expense. I've heard since the Purple TackyRama is 3 miles from Disney and on the busline, it's not a problem getting there.

Can't speak for bus access to Disney from off property, but getting around by bus in that area is problematic, from what I've heard. One of our friends lives in Orlando and he has been telling us about route cancellations and such. Car rentals can be pretty reasonable if you hunt around for the best deal. We usually get a good deal from National.

Although, I am considering economy hotels at Disney since there's the open early/stay late at the parks if you stay at their hotels.

If you do stay at the hotels on property, then you won't have to worry about transportation til you leave Disney and the open early/stay late thing will work out better for you. This is also advantageous if you don't want to deal with the headache of sitting in traffic between the hotel and the parks, since off-Disney, the traffic is pretty awful most of the time (rush hour 16-18 hours a day, it seems).

Next question is: where's the closest beach from that area? Is there a good place to see manatees in the wild near there? The youngest has a manatee thing going ever since she was about 12 months and they opened the manatee exhibit in the Cincinnati Zoo. At 12 months unless she got at least 30-45 minutes to watch them, she would scream blue bloody murder if you tried to get her to leave. I always planned that one for when I needed a long rest for my back!

If you want to see the ocean, then you are talking about an hour and a half plus drive to Daytona (east of Orlando on I-4) Not sure you will guarantee to see any manatee, though.

If you want to see the Gulf, then west of Orlando, also 1-2 hours drive, is Clearwater and St. Petersburg. You have to go through Tampa and the notorious "Malfunction Junction" (where I-4, I-75 and I-275 meet). It is a pretty poorly set up interchange and confusing to a lot of people that are not used to it.

If you want to be guaranteed to see manatees, the go to Sea World (also in Orlando) and spend a day there. It is a wonderful park with some really good rides, some fabulous shows and they have a manatee rescue there, where you can learn about the manatee and see some that have been rescued. They also have a great arctic exhibit. We had a Beluga whale stop to say hello just to us when we were there the last time.
And if you saw the Budweiser commercials with the donkey, they have him there as well as the chance to get your picture taken with one of their Clydesdales, who have stables there. And their entrance fees are pretty reasonably priced for being a tourist attraction.

Of course, you might get to see some manatee at Silver Springs, and while it isn't a guarantee there, either, the chances are still pretty decent.

elian
Jan 1, 2009, 11:18 AM
Great Site! Thank you! It should be noted that we usually hang out in parks and museums. They've been to Kings Island once with my sweetheart and once with their sister. So we are grateful for info outside of the usual Disney stuff as well. I've read that the Cape Canaveral beach is amazing. I'll have to find out if the busline goes out that way, or plan it for one of the days we're getting a rental car.

Volty, they've changed the park rules to allow you to bring in soft coolers (which I picked up a backpack variety) as long as there is no glass or straws.

Daytona and New Smyrna Beaches are fairly close to the area mentioned in my previous link..about an hour away from Disney..

Goes without saying - if you go to the beach bring lots of water and sunscreen..especially if you are going to an area like the dunes below.

http://www.volusia.org/parks/sunspla.htm

http://www.volusia.org/parks/smyrnadunes.htm

http://funandsun.com/1tocf/beachf/beach.html

HighEnergy
Jan 1, 2009, 11:36 AM
Only if the wife can come along. She's the real Disney expert between us. Me, I'm just a big kid.

Strange concept I know, Falcon, but I actually read people's profiles. I would NEVER not invite your wife! I'll bring my best conversationalist skills and all! :bigrin: The 13 year old reads a LOT and she writes her own stories that the teachers ask if she's copied it from something because of the sentance structure and ideas, so she'll bring her best conversationalist skills too. (Ask Volty what his dad thought of her. But Volty will warn you to not let them in a clean car.) I think the 11 year old is actually smarter than the 13 year old, but she's very quiet, so no one notices it, until she puts out one of her perfect comedic timed zingers.

In continued response to one of your other threads, I think we need a button around here making it a choice to make it impossible for folks to IM you if they haven't filled out their profile. It's so attractive for someone you know nothing about to want to talk dirty to you! It's kinda like the cyber version hanging out in a dark alley!

OK, back on topic. I really, really appreciate your input and the time you've taken to share. Yes, Sea World and Silver Springs are on the list of things to do. I took the other kid there when she was little and Silver Springs really, really impressed me. I liked it better than Disney actually. And aforementioned 13 year old is an ocean nut, so going to Florida without going to Sea World would be akin to treason around here.

Thanks again, love!

hydropop
Jan 1, 2009, 12:53 PM

Hello High Energy, We live about 45 minutes from disney and will try and help you in anyway we can. Your girls are gonna love disney as much as I do. Hell im 46 and wife is 42 and we go when we can.

Got to say even though some dont like the the Disney thing. I dont think they need to bash it for everyone else. Its a fun and Magical place that every kid big or small needs to experience for them selfs.

hydropop
Jan 1, 2009, 12:54 PM
Oh and to answer your question , yes you can bring in drinks and snacks in to the park. Like juice boxes and such.

lovedoctor
Jan 1, 2009, 5:07 PM
I've been to Disney a number of times and highly agree with Falcon.

I've found the best time to go is the week after Thanksgiving through the second week of December. The parks are close to empty and you may find the best deals in that time-frame (though I know you are targeting the Halloween time).

FalconAngel
Jan 1, 2009, 5:55 PM
It should be noted that we usually hang out in parks and museums.

If you can put up with an aviation museum, there is a really well done museum about half hour west of Disney, right off I-4, called Fantasy of Flight (www.fantasyofflight.com). It has some very nice and some very unusual exhibits, including the just opened exhibit on the WWII WASP (Women's Army Service Pilots) Program. Those ladies have been unsung heroes of the war for a long time.

You can actually see the museum's red and white checkered water tower from the interstate. It's pretty cool, especially if you really like history and aviation.

12voltman59
Jan 1, 2009, 6:10 PM
If ya go over to the coast to the Cape Canaveral area--you will have to have a car--Brevard County has no public transportation to speak of--at least in that area--or at least they didn't when I lived there----Melbourne and Palm Bay to the south might have one now---

If you do go over to Brevard and "the Space Coast"---you will have to take the tour of the Space Center----while I have not been to the visitors center---they say the public center that NASA has is pretty interesting--and since the girls seem to like science too--they should like that.

Canaveral National Seashore is pretty---but with the girls--don't leave the main public areas---after a point--it ahhhh--becomes a clothing optional beach---or at least it used to if the Federales haven't quashed that!!

I am glad that Disney now allows you to bring at least some things in--the last time I was there---they made me empty a waterbottle I was carrying--and all it had in it was ice water--I was surprised they let me keep the container!!!!

As far as seeing manatees in the wild-that is a hit and miss proposition--since where they are depends on the temp of the air and water---if its at all cool--they move to southern Florida--one place you can find them even if its freezing---is in the ponds near the warm water discharge outlets at the Turkey Point Nuclear Power station south of Miami---they love those areas around there and so do the Florida crocodiles as well!!

CUMM2LBV
Jan 1, 2009, 6:23 PM
Hi to High.

As a member of the "RatPack" I was going to give you a dissertation but falcon saved me all that typing. I can add, If the family enjoys the holidays, the check the Disney website for promotions after Thanksgiving. It gets kind of slow around the 10th-15th of December. You will have the same getaway as you will during Christmas week and save a little bit of cash, maybe a bunch of cash. All of the lights, all of the decorations, all of the music and Christmas shows will be up and running. Mick can get very aggressive with promotions this time of year. The Mickey Mouse bus Co runs all over the place (no charge). The Allstar resorts and Pop are ultra reasonable. EMH, extra magic hours are only available to guests of Disney owned resorts. All of the guests that I encounter tell me, it is not possible to eat all of the food provided on the dining plan.

Have no fear, your children will not be co opted by the lunatic left or the ultra right. Taylor has worked there and I do. Falcon and his wife obvious speak with the voice of people who have worn out a pair or two of tennies walking the place (a total of 47 sq miles).

In any event, we look forward to seeing you...

ps 12Vt is right, if you go far enough at the Canaveral Seashore, you will encounter the nekked and sometimes naughty. Luv the place.

DiamondDog
Jan 1, 2009, 9:24 PM

*Taylor*

You mean Gay days right?

I've never been to it but friends of mine have and they love it.

I know that other theme parks also do this like Great Adventure.

FalconAngel
Jan 2, 2009, 12:43 AM
Almost forgot that EPCOT should be doing the food and wine festival when you are planning on being up there as well.

Just another reason (for us at least) to have a room on Disney property.

hydropop
Jan 2, 2009, 11:38 AM
Almost forgot that EPCOT should be doing the food and wine festival when you are planning on being up there as well.

Just another reason (for us at least) to have a room on Disney property.

Now that can get pricey, and im not sure her kids need to start early in life with the wine LOL.

We went to The Wine and food Fest, but it was pricey , disney isnt much for dropping prices, although Ticket prices are down.

HighEnergy
Jan 2, 2009, 11:42 AM
lol. I tried to give them champagne last new years. This year we stuck to sparkling cherry juice since they hated champagne. They think beer is gross too, although I had to call poison control when the 13 yr old drank about 10 ounces when she was first learning to walk. She slept well, but I didn't.

darkeyes
Jan 2, 2009, 1:26 PM
While you're assembling your firing squad and loading your children with drudgery I'll be hurrying with the rest (and probably your resentful children too) to take my place by the wall alongside Mickey Mouse, Snow White, Bill Gates, Sir Elton John and Abba. Down, down we go! Another blast of your beliefs and Thomas More can get gunned too.

While poking your children's eyes out I guess you'll go out tonight and get yourself completely rat arsed and convince yourself that you are a real life Cinderella leading us all to Utopia.

Oh I'll top your glasses up full as you like. I'll hand you another and another. Hey you really are Cinders. You don't need a cracked mirror to tell you how right you are, cause you've got the booze.

Love Bambi
Had a gud giggle at this S....jus shows how lil ya hav eva undastood wot me has eva sed or wot me is about... betta than the sycophancy tho me luffly.. Happy New Year...muah!!!:tong:;)

Sarasvati
Jan 2, 2009, 2:45 PM
Had a gud giggle at this S....jus shows how lil ya hav eva undastood wot me has eva sed or wot me is about... betta than the sycophancy tho me luffly.. Happy New Year...muah!!!:tong:;)

What have I misunderstood? Please would you let me know?

elian
Jan 2, 2009, 4:27 PM
Our society is very young in relative terms - over the years there have been plenty of old men with very strange ideas - the idea of "science and progress" saving us from the Great Depression, the "atomic age" where people used to put mushroom cloud shaped ornaments on their wedding cake, eugenics, manifest destiny, Victorian times - errgh.

Walt Disney had some very eccentric ideas about the way he wanted the world to be - like most people - some of those ideas were good - and some of them were not so good..EPCOT from what I understand was SUPPOSED to be like the ultimate gated community...it never evolved into that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9M3pKsrcc8

I am fascinated by the interaction of society, people and technology throughout history so unfortunately I tend to look at those old futurist films like the footage from the world's fair with perhaps a bit too much romance and sentimentality.

Like this clip that Vi provided for us before..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6115746202012512830

I don't care for excess consumerism but then again, you only live once dear..from what I understand the Disney Corporate treatment of LGBT folks has been pretty good.

tink123
Jan 2, 2009, 7:04 PM
I work for Disney. My best suggestion-- if you want to not worry about transportation stay at a disney resort. Depending on the time of year you can get All Star or Pop Century for $60+ a night. Plus Disney is running a special, buy 4 days get 3 free (i beleive). You cna take the disney busses all over property for free. If you want to stay off property on 192/irlo bronson there are cheap hotels starting at around $35 a night. But then you would have to rent a car. As for tix, honestly the more days you get the cheaper it gets. If you know you will only do 1 park a day-- dont get a park hopper its about 30+ more. If you plan it right, you can go pretty cheap. You can take small coolers into the parks to save on food.If you plan right you can do it all fairly cheap... have fun!

FalconAngel
Jan 2, 2009, 10:33 PM
Now that can get pricey, and im not sure her kids need to start early in life with the wine LOL.

We went to The Wine and food Fest, but it was pricey , disney isnt much for dropping prices, although Ticket prices are down.

True enough, but the food....Oh my god, the food. YUMMY.

darkeyes
Jan 4, 2009, 8:38 AM

Love Bambi

.. an this..apart from mayb me dislike a Disney output..is appropriate 2 me like how S?:rolleyes:

Sarasvati
Jan 5, 2009, 12:17 PM
.. an this..apart from mayb me dislike a Disney output..is appropriate 2 me like how S?:rolleyes:

A lady contributor is trying to doing something important with her children by taking them to Disney. I think that this is the wrong moment to choose if you wish to denounce Disney - your posts also denounce her decision, even though she has probably not taken it personally.

Family bonding is a vital, uplifting purpose and there can be few better ways of accomplishing this than by taking your children to Disney and allowing them to indulge their dreams, hopes and fantasies.

It's certainly no time for mean spirited spoil sports to get up in their pulpits. That's how you came across and that's why I replied as I did.

To all those planning to take their children to Disney I hope you have a FAB time.

darkeyes
Jan 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
Ya think thats how me came accross? Didn denounce 'er decision...did express me own opinion...wot forums r for..an free speech.. HE can do woteva she likes 2 entertain 'er kids an let 'em hav fun...Disney wudn b my way..an so me sed so.. mean spirited an all..??? Woooooo S.. strong words... lil less mean than u tellin me ..

Love Bambi

HighEnergy
Jan 5, 2009, 8:33 PM
Thank you for your defense, Sarasvati, but by the time I figure out what Frannie said, I don't have the energy left to be put out. ;)

I figured it's like my being dead set against Wal-mart and I voice my concerns to folks who shop there, knowing they don't give a shit about my politics or they wouldn't be shopping there.

Like I said, Disney may be this or that, but the parks themselves are magical places, and I'm going to have that fun with my girls.

That is if the 13 yr old lives that long. Mothers of teenager do know why wild animals eat their young. (My 23 yr old sent that to me when she was 14. Tonight I'm reminded why.)

darkeyes
Jan 5, 2009, 8:41 PM
Thank you for your defense, Sarasvati, but by the time I figure out what Frannie said, I don't have the energy left to be put out. ;)

I figured it's like my being dead set against Wal-mart and I voice my concerns to folks who shop there, knowing they don't give a shit about my politics or they wouldn't be shopping there.

Like I said, Disney may be this or that, but the parks themselves are magical places, and I'm going to have that fun with my girls.

That is if the 13 yr old lives that long. Mothers of teenager do know why wild animals eat their young. (My 23 yr old sent that to me when she was 14. Tonight I'm reminded why.)*snogs HE* Don u worry bout S...he a bit of a silly sod b me very fonda that very self same silly sod... ratha 'e slagged me than praised me..but 'e knos that HE...an it don haff make 'im uncomfy.... but me still luffs 'im in me own way... :bigrin:

....an me also is findin out how diff it is raisin kids....Lou not a prob..but Shiv.... jeez...dus she hav a gob on 'er...so me findin out bout mummy babba relationships ok.... stress.....:(

TaylorMade
Jan 5, 2009, 8:43 PM
You mean Gay days right?

I've never been to it but friends of mine have and they love it.

I know that other theme parks also do this like Great Adventure.

Oui!

I wanted to go w/ another member, but . . .didn't happen. Hell, I'd of fucking invited YOU for the company.

*Taylor*

Bluebiyou
Jan 5, 2009, 9:27 PM
From the day he was born he was Twoble
He was disowned on his mother's side
She tried in vain
But it never brought her nothing but pain
He left home the day she died.
From the day she was gone, all he wanted.
Was Rock-n-roll porn, und a motor bike
Shooting up junk
He was a low down cheap little punk
Taking every one for a ride.
When Eddie said he didn't like his 'teddy' you knew he was a no good kid
but when he threatened your life with a switch blade knife
What a guy
Makes you cry
Und I did!

(refrain)