PDA

View Full Version : Are you or Aren't you????

arana
Jan 13, 2006, 2:35 PM
How many do you remember?

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3 Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5 Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17 Metal ice trays with lever
18 Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25 Wash tub wringers
If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

19 :eek: Great, I'm older than dirt.

JohnnyV
Jan 13, 2006, 2:38 PM
Arana,

I scored a 12, so I'm not supposed to tell my age but I will anyway: mid-30s.

J

Driver 8
Jan 13, 2006, 2:57 PM
I remembered 10, and I'm in my mid-thirties too. Perhaps my memory is already starting to go?

wanderingrichard
Jan 13, 2006, 3:20 PM
uh oh, this aint good, i got all 25..

12voltman59
Jan 13, 2006, 3:21 PM
By Arana's scale--I am older than dirt--but I would rather consider myself to be "tempered"--sort of like fine wine or bourbon must be aged in order to be really good.... :suave: :suave: :suave: :bounce: :suave:

cchalmer
Jan 13, 2006, 4:40 PM
I got 14....not supposed to tell my age but I'm proud of what I can do at the age I'm at!!!!!! LOL

I'm not to the point that it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night yet!!!!

tatooedpunk
Jan 13, 2006, 6:09 PM
Probably dont tell your age but from uk dont even understand some of this

likalotapuss
Jan 13, 2006, 6:22 PM
I got an 8!!! What's that say about me... I'm either young, or had a very sheltered childhood. lol I am 26.

~Ang

IndyBiFun
Jan 13, 2006, 6:28 PM
12 for me!

csrakate
Jan 13, 2006, 6:56 PM
I got 18....older than dirt I guess!!

Hugs,
Kate

Flounder1967
Jan 13, 2006, 7:03 PM
only 10 and i'm 38. Of that i know what 5 were eveon though i've never used them.

:flag3:

moonlitwish
Jan 13, 2006, 7:11 PM
I got 7...but then again, I'm only 21...hehe... :bigrin:

bifitm52
Jan 13, 2006, 8:39 PM
Oops. 25 of 25. But then I'm 53 in a couple of weeks and I come from a rural family that hung on to a lot of things (eg wash tub with wringer).

texasman6172003
Jan 14, 2006, 2:59 AM
Hi Arana babe,well i got 20 of 25 :eek: . I guess im older than dirt,lol. Idont care im proud to say im 47 :) . Like Kate and i have said yur only as old as yu feel,in my mind i feel real young again. :) . Charles,,,,,,,Tex.....

Sparks
Jan 14, 2006, 5:56 AM
25 out of 25.......now I think that's bitchen! :-)

scubaman
Jan 14, 2006, 6:35 AM
22 for me - How old was dirt again????????????? :)

Chief8_2
Jan 14, 2006, 7:20 AM
How many do you remember?

I remember all of them
Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3 Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5 Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17 Metal ice trays with lever
18 Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25 Wash tub wringers
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

19 :eek: Great, I'm older than dirt.
very well.

huneypot
Jan 14, 2006, 8:06 AM
hey hey hye
sometimes is great not being from the US cause i aint heard of lots of them
so.........................
ha ha

siraussietosser
Jan 14, 2006, 8:16 AM
only 3 for me.......ya Im still young woo hoo. :bigrin:

The Cheshire Cat
Jan 14, 2006, 9:58 AM
20-Jeeesh...don't know why i took that. Did i really need to be reminded im "older than dirt?" Cat :eek:

mn freak
Jan 14, 2006, 1:14 PM
I got 11 & I'm only 32!! I do miss drive-ins & candy cigs. :(

Iowabiguy
Jan 14, 2006, 4:05 PM
Dang it, I got 17 of 25. Older 'n dirt, huh? Oh well, I am 48 years young and I am proud to still be here and having fun.
Thanks for the fun test.

sailorashore
Jan 14, 2006, 4:28 PM
Shit--got 'em all. But hey, everybody already KNOWS I'm older than dirt.

sailor

arana
Jan 14, 2006, 4:48 PM
Ok you 25 for 25ers, The one thing I am totally clueless about...what is Butch Wax?

csrakate
Jan 14, 2006, 4:55 PM
Butch Wax was what the guys used to make their crew cuts, or should I say "Flat Tops" stand up straight. It was a gooey mess if I remember correctly from the jar my brother had on his dresser and it came complete with a brush so that you could merely brush that flat top straight up!

Kate

bhg08054
Jan 14, 2006, 4:58 PM
21 out of 25 here.

wanderingrichard
Jan 14, 2006, 6:27 PM
yeah, kate, that's one version, another was a little red tube or one and half inch dia. bottle that ya ran over your head then brushed or combed the fuzz up to where ya wanted it.. worked better in the cooler parts of the country...dad, both grandpa's and most of my uncles used it, plus a lot of the old marine corps vets that lived in the little podunk town my dad is from.. seemed to be a traditional accessory for men at the time

moonlitwish
Jan 14, 2006, 6:47 PM
I got 11 & I'm only 32!! I do miss drive-ins & candy cigs. :(
Ditto on the candy cigs.Those are yum! Still got my rollerskate key though.. :tong:

bhg08054
Jan 14, 2006, 7:12 PM
Ditto on the candy cigs.Those are yum! Still got my rollerskate key though.. :tong:
Fire up the ole search engine then, I think there are some "retro" candy places on the 'net that sell the candy cigs...

arana
Jan 14, 2006, 8:17 PM
Fire up the ole search engine then, I think there are some "retro" candy places on the 'net that sell the candy cigs...

Yes, you can still find a lot of the old stuff here and there. Candy cigs, the wax coke bottles, gross black jack gum, soda in glass bottles and vintage machines to use them in, some retro cafe's with table juke boxes, metal ice cube trays (that I use to get my tongue stuck to), wash tub wringers (I crushed my arm in a wringer washer once so I'm intimate with those), and I still go to the drive in once in awhile. I'm trying to figure out a craft for my old albums and 45s....anyone have any ideas??? Going to turn in our blue chip and green stamps was always cool when I was a kid too.

I don't miss party lines, mimeograph paper and flash cubes althought flip flash was cool when that came out!

Thanks for the heads up on the Butch Wax, Kate and Rich.

Michael623
Jan 14, 2006, 9:05 PM
25 out of 25. Party lines! We had a phone that you cranked and asked the operator for a person. Each person had a distinctive ring like 2 longs and a short. Didn't have indoor plumbing except a pump at the kitchen sink. Fuck, am I even older than dirt, lol.

FSJeepguy
Jan 14, 2006, 9:10 PM
I'm older than the rocks that made the dirt.
Not only do I remember all of those things, but I could add even more.

bigregory
Jan 14, 2006, 11:40 PM
Lets bring back the tableside juke boxes,
not that i remember them...

m.in.heels&hose
Jan 14, 2006, 11:59 PM
i got 14 here
but i dont have to tell anyone my age most of you already know what my age is (wimper)
:cool: m.in.neels&hose

APMountianMan
Jan 15, 2006, 12:48 PM
I protest the results! This test is skewed toward those with bad memories!

:cool:

usedbear1950
Jan 15, 2006, 2:01 PM
Okay let's see.
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. My dad's deli had a water cooled soda refrigerator. The glass bottles were impersed in ice cold water. You could never get a colder bottle of soda.
5. There are still some retro diners in NJ that have them and most of you in the US see them on commercials.
6. We lived on the 5th floor of a six floor walk up. We not only got milk delviered but the dispenser seltzer bottles that you see in old comedy movies. We saved our empty gallon wine bottles for the guy who sold crystaline, to Italians -biancoline & to the rest of you bleach.
7. yes and nosey ass neighbors
8. yes
9. If I had a dollar for each pair my parents bought over the years for me and my 3 siblings, well you can guess the rest.
10. It came in a can and in NY you used to polish your car but the flat top thing is true too. However we had a green liquid that froze your hair in place in the cold weather or brylcream- a little dab'll do ya.
11. TEmpleton 1-0458
12. First we used straws and then when BIC pens came out we would pull out the pen point and use the clear plasic tube.
13. I was a member of the Peanut Gallery.
14. Pleaze, another if I had a dollar...
15. A&P had Plaid Stamps, Bohacks had S&H
16. The newest craze when I was a teen. There were guys who gave up everything for the latest Hi-Fi equipment. It was like an addiction.
17. yes
18. And the ink used an alcohol base. Smelled great.
19. And when you hit the pop out button the damn thing flew across the room.
20. My dad had one and I rode in it.
21. The prize possession of every kid. It was on a long string around your neck. And us NY kids would hang on to the rear bumper of city buses and go all over Manhattan.
22. You would cut the string on the cork and try to put your kid brothers eye out.
23. Saturday night out. During the winter they had a heater to put in the car as well as the speaker. Most people would drive off with them still in the car and rip the wires from the post.
24. My dad had one and I rode in it.
25. Grandma Lena boiled the clothes in a huge pot on the stove and clamped the wringer to the sink to wring out the clothes.

Okay so you all guessed, I am older than dinosaur snot.

:soapbox: :banghead: :yikes2: :paw:

JohnnyV
Jan 15, 2006, 4:23 PM
Used Bear -- You could not really remember all those things, could you? You must've just combined your memories with a bunch of other people's!

J

usedbear1950
Jan 15, 2006, 4:49 PM
Used Bear -- You could not really remember all those things, could you? You must've just combined your memories with a bunch of other people's!

J

JohnnyV I remember them all and more. At High School reunions everyone comes to me either to tell the stories or get their facts straight.
We lived in a six story tenament that was side by side against a mirror image building. This allowed for a large airway as a couryard that was one floor below street level. This is where itinerant musicans, knife sharpeners, produce vendors with horse drawn wagons would annouunce that they were here.
Watch the movie "Popi" with Alan Arkin, it was filmed around the corner from my block. You will see push carts. 121st Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenues was the last vestige of push carts in Manhattan.
I rode on the last trolley car in Manhattan before they eliminated it.
Let me stop because I could go on for pages.
:bounce: :bounce: 55 and still going :bounce:

JohnnyV
Jan 15, 2006, 5:42 PM
OMG anotha New Yawka

JohnnyV is a veteran of the Boogie-Down, knows Webster Av and the Concourse well. Lived in a fifth floor walk-up just off 201st. But I still bombed that quiz. You are the man!

J :doggie:

APMountianMan
Jan 15, 2006, 6:27 PM
JohnnyV I remember them all and more. At High School reunions everyone comes to me either to tell the stories or get their facts straight.
We lived in a six story tenament that was side by side against a mirror image building. This allowed for a large airway as a couryard that was one floor below street level. This is where itinerant musicans, knife sharpeners, produce vendors with horse drawn wagons would annouunce that they were here.
Watch the movie "Popi" with Alan Arkin, it was filmed around the corner from my block. You will see push carts. 121st Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenues was the last vestige of push carts in Manhattan.
I rode on the last trolley car in Manhattan before they eliminated it.
Let me stop because I could go on for pages.
:bounce: :bounce: 55 and still going :bounce:

My point is now confirmed... this test is skewed to those with poor memories.... we are not old as dirt... we simply have greater brain and memory capacity than the norm!

:cool:

SweetBlackAngel
Jan 15, 2006, 6:40 PM
uh oh, this aint good, i got all 25..

Ha! Awww, Rich, don't think "older than dirt", think....."seasoned"...yeah, that's it! :tong: ;)

searchingbrian
Jan 15, 2006, 9:10 PM
I started to feel bad because I got 11 or maybe 12 (I wasn't sure--memory you know isn't what it used to be, lol) but I see that Likalotapuss got 8 so now I don't feel quite so bad--she is just a babe in the woods!!