PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day 08

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 11, 2008, 4:16 PM
Veterans Day-08

While sitting here and listening to Charlie Daniel’s song Saigon, I had a smart ass from another group ask me if I was going to post the same worn out, tired litany about Veterans as I do at Memorial Day and Veterans day. Well guess what? Yes I am, and if anyone is offended by my “Flag-Waving, Vet Hugging” views, then I suggest that you bite my rosy red, and click onto another topic. (Yes, Your Cat is a hard nose when it comes to my Vets.)

Only a couple of you here that know me well, know that I worked for 15 years in the Veteran’s Administration in California, as a Veteran’s Representatives Aide, and was married to a Vietnam Vet with P.T.S.D. for nearly 30 years. I worked primarily with Vet’s from Korea/Vietnam, Granada, Desert Storm, Persian Gulf and Iraq. I gained an immense love and respect for these men and women, and hold that view close to me. It didn’t matter what war, it didn’t matter what branch of service, I loved and respected all of them equally.
I respect them for the sacrifices that they made, and make everyday, so that each and every one of us can revel in, and enjoy our own personal freedoms that we possess today.
Think about it for a moment…Do you realize what all they give up for Us? They are/were away from Their own families, and personal freedoms so that we in turn may live ours, and so that our children, grandchildren, and future generations can live free too. They put their lives on the line for us every single day, without as so much of a Thank Ye Sir or Ma’am from many of us.

They don’t expect fancy parades when they return home, they don’t expect to be paid honor and homage, all they want is your admiration and respect, as it should be. In Washington D.C there is a huge black marble monument with the names of
58, 900 men and 9 women who gave the most ultimate sacrifice anyone could give in the duty for their country and fellow Americans. And there is estimated that there are over 2,000 POW’s and MIA’s who gave of themselves for us as well.
This is a testimony to their love, honor, and respect to all of us, is it too much to return that honor once in a while by remembering them, and the past generations of men and women who gave their lives for us? No. Not in my humble opinion it is not.

So, today on this Day, please take time to do something. Go to a cemetery of your choice and lay a flower or wreath at the base of one of the Veteran’s Memorials, attend a Veteran’s Memorial service pit on by one of the local Veterans associations or hang your flags proudly. Take a scant second honk at some of the many people who stand with dedication on over passes around the country. Or simply do a Native American way of respect; Say a prayer at sundown to the setting Father Sun and say, “Job well done Soldier, and Thank You. You will never be forgotten.”
I salute every military man and woman in this country, Past, Present, and Future, and if that makes me a Vet Hugger and a Flag Waver, oh fucking well. :}

Happy Veterans Day to all of you Veterans and those that love

catcir1
Nov 11, 2008, 4:57 PM
Veterans Day-08
I salute every military man and woman in this country, Past, Present, and Future, and if that makes me a Vet Hugger and a Flag Waver, oh fucking well. :}

You can include me in the flag waving, vet hugging crowd too! That includes their families that have given so much as well. This is a day to put aside all the anti-military bias and be grateful to each individual that is willing to go into harms way to protect our freedoms.

still_shy
Nov 11, 2008, 5:02 PM
Veterans Day-08

Or simply do a Native American way of respect; Say a prayer at sundown to the setting Father Sun and say, “Job well done Soldier, and Thank You. You will never be forgotten.”

I will do that hun. I guess I join the ranks of Flag wavers and Vet huggers, btw what's wrong with that? I'm proud to be a part of a site that recognizes more than just blow jobs and personals ads, and to be honest, looked forward to seeing what you wrote about Veterans Day. Everyone should be as respectful as you regarding our soldiers!

Another Flag Waver,
Hillary

zman64
Nov 11, 2008, 5:03 PM
For those who disagree with supporting, honoring or respecting veterans, remeber they serve while you snivel. The phrase God bless the USA is made possible by those who have and do serve. Remember, if they didn't do it..who would?. god bless all veterans, and thank you!!!!

FalconAngel
Nov 11, 2008, 9:12 PM
When I was 8, I got to take time off from school so that I could go with my dad, a USAF vet, to go pick up my uncle from the airport after having been wounded in Vietnam.

Seeing him standing proud to have served is one of the things that made me want to continue our family's 200 year tradition of service to this country.

We had to wait until just a few years ago to find out how my uncle got injured. He was the guy that you see in the movies; we have all seen the movie. The enemy is overrunning their position, so one guy gets on the radio and calls in the artillery on their own position.

he came home with a chest full of ribbons a piece of shrapnel in his leg that is still there today and hearing the odd disinformed person calling him "baby killer".

He deserved better than just his brother and a nephew greeting him at the airport. he deserved praise from everyone around him.

I have been fortunate that my service did not send me to the hell that he served in, but his sacrifice was my inspiration to be the top notch soldier that I later became.

So while some decry the fact that we have need of a military, they have that freedom to piss and moan because of those same people that, 40 years ago, they were spitting on.

May the Gods and Goddesses protect my brothers and sisters who have served, who serve now and who will serve in defense of freedom.

12voltman59
Nov 11, 2008, 11:34 PM
I attended the Veteran's Day ceremonies at my VA center here in Dayton today---while it was a rather muted affair--it was still moving.

For the most of the time I have been going to the VA these past few years---I have mostly seen the older guys there--the vets from WWII, Korea and Vietnam---many of those guys are in bad shape----but then they are not "spring chickens" to say the least--but now---our center is ramping up for helping the vets from our current wars--and I am seeing the young guys and gals who are coming in--I tell ya-it breaks your heart to see these young people----they could be my kids if I had any---who have lost at least one limb if not all of them----and then there are those with the massive head trauma cases--they are going to be building new facilities for treating those injuries and also making a seperate area for female vets for long term care since there are now so many females serving in the military.

It did feel good to take part today--for some reason of late---the time I spent in the service seems more important to me now than it did when I was in ----my time in the service reminds me of Charles Dickens' line that "it was the best of times-it was the worst of times."

I have to say that even though I have had a few other careers since my time in service----my time in the service was without doubt one of the most important times in my life---I don't know if anyone who didn't serve can quite understand that or it can be easily explained--but if you served---I think you know what I mean.

It is funny in a way----while I haven't worn the uniform in many years now--I never really did leave the service!

It also felt good to have both other vets and members of the audience shake my hand and thank me for my service----I have to say--my eyes are still wet tonight as I write this!!!! It did feel good to have someone--total strangers say thanks for what I did--and to feel a sense of connection to those vets who most likely did more than I did thanking me too.

onewhocares
Nov 12, 2008, 8:42 AM
Veterans Day-08

I had a smart ass from another group ask me if I was going to post the same worn out, tired litany about Veterans as I do at Memorial Day and Veterans day.

Well Cat I am glad you decided to do just that. People who comment on the actions of those who support the veterans, the men and woman who fought for this country, should realize that it is this exact right that they stood so proudly to defend. Little do those who have not served this country, or any other to be honest, know what hell on the battlefield is like. While I was not called upon for the service I am a proud member of the American Legion Auxiliary and sister organization 8/40. I know many members here are also in those organizations as well as others who try and offer service and support for those solders both past and present when they return from duty be it serving in a war zone or at bases around the world. As you stated....they are not looking for a parade or party...most of all I think they wish for respect from their fellow countrymen and woman. They are everyday people like you and I, but when called served this country well.

Belle

FalconAngel
Nov 13, 2008, 1:31 AM
Well Cat I am glad you decided to do just that. People who comment on the actions of those who support the veterans, the men and woman who fought for this country, should realize that it is this exact right that they stood so proudly to defend. Little do those who have not served this country, or any other to be honest, know what hell on the battlefield is like. While I was not called upon for the service I am a proud member of the American Legion Auxiliary and sister organization 8/40. I know many members here are also in those organizations as well as others who try and offer service and support for those solders both past and present when they return from duty be it serving in a war zone or at bases around the world. As you stated....they are not looking for a parade or party...most of all I think they wish for respect from their fellow countrymen and woman. They are everyday people like you and I, but when called served this country well.

Belle

You are so very right. It is statements like that which remind me of a saying that I saw somewhere. I have used it before myself and it goes something like this:

Few who have not served in defense of liberty know the price of that liberty.

BicuriousWA
Nov 13, 2008, 3:08 AM
As a veteran, I appreciate the sentiments. I served eight years in the Navy and was in during the first Persian Gulf war. Whether anyone agrees with the reasons why America is at war, those that serve and selflessly put themselves in harms way for love of country are deserving of honor and respect. Thank you Cat for being a "Vet Hugger" and for supporting those that served and currently serve.

Veterans Day-08

MarieDelta
Nov 13, 2008, 5:49 AM
I saw an article on biMagazine I'd like to share here:

I'll post an excerpt and a link

The Forgotten Veterans

by Monica F. Helms

Veterans Day is one the three most important days in this country when it comes to patriotism and pride. At the eleventh minute, of the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, we start the day honoring all the veterans who have served this country, both in peace and in war. Today, we have 26 million military veterans in America, but sadly, we lose 1500 WWII each day and a similar number of Korean War veterans as well. Soon, the Vietnam War veterans will pass away in similar numbers.

The men and women who fought in those wars over the last 230-plus years came from every diverse background this country has ever known. People from every race, religion, ethnicity, economic status, social status and sexual orientation have fought, been wounded or died for this country. A current example of sexual orientation is the first person wounded in the current war in Iraq. Eric Alva lost a leg in the very early days of the war and then came out as being gay after his discharge.

Here is the link : http://www.bimagazine.org/nonfict/pages/feature12.html

12voltman59
Nov 15, 2008, 7:02 PM
I happened to find this photo in my files--it is an official Coast Guard photo of the class of Coast Guard "patrol boats" that I happened to serve aboard.

These boats were named for various "Capes" found around the world----the picture--taken back in the 1950s when the boats were first brought into service is of the USCGC Cape Small----all of these boats are long out of service now--most of 'em having been sunk along the coasts of the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific for use as artifical reefs--a few were saved for various maritime museums too. These boats saw service in Vietnam and at one time or another--in other actions all over the world---I went to Grenada on one, along with several other 95s and the Sagebrush out of San Juan which was a 180' class of Buoy Tender-a class of ship that dated back to WWII and those are all now thankfully gone too, replaced by a new 254' class of ship.

I served about three different 95s.

I have some old photos of my boat and others taken with my old Pentax 35mm SLR camera---the photos were processed at a drug store or something--so they have turned some funky colors---sorta like this one did. I don't have a scanner presently so I can't load them into my computer.

Over the course of the life of these vessels--they underwent some changes in appearance and set up---so the ones I was aboard did look somewhat different--but the basic boat is the same.

Just thought some of you might find the pic to be of interest.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/capesmall.jpg

countrybim
Nov 15, 2008, 8:57 PM
I need to put my two cent about Veterans day. God bless all of them and I am proud they did what for our freedom. My father and 3 of brothers are all vets of WWII. My oldest uncle contracted Malaria during his service. We are very fortunte that all 4 of them came home alive. I lost my father in 2007 and one of my uncle in the late 80's. I miss sitting with them drinking coffee and listen to their stories about the war. So to wind it up anybody that has a problem showing respects to the vets can kiss where the sun don't shine. Because if it was for them we would not have the freedom to post and read on the internet like we do. God Bless all the Vets and good ole America

kitten
Nov 16, 2008, 8:09 AM
With deepest respect to our veterans, those who currently serve and those who look to serving in the future, I give my thanks.

My father and uncle served in the Korean War, My father-in-law served in the Korean and Viet Nam wars. All are gone now but we still remember.
This year, my daughter joined the Junior Air Force ROTC. She stands so proud and tall. I stand right beside her and honor her commitment at 15 to follow in her grandfathers' footsteps.

Hugs to my baby kitten,

thumpercat
Nov 16, 2008, 8:39 AM
Thanks Cat.

Curious55
Nov 25, 2008, 7:22 AM
To all Viet Nam Vets....Welcome Home, Brothers & Sisters. Those are words we never heard back then when we returned home. So everytime you see a Nam Vet, welcome him/her home.

bikentuck
Nov 25, 2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks & god bless all of you.
Marine 61-65

midtnbi8669
Nov 25, 2008, 3:21 PM
Flagwave and vet supporter here! Right on Cat!

pecker
Nov 25, 2008, 9:20 PM
vietnam vet 1968/69 Thank you all for your comments America will survive

12voltman59
Nov 25, 2008, 11:18 PM
There have been dark days that have faced the nation in the past---and while those times were tough for those who lived through them--as Steinbeck wrote in "The Grapes of Wrath"---the people go on and the nation goes on.

I am going to go get myself another copy of that great book--the copy I had many years ago---I must have lost it along the way----I am at the very least--going to read it again!!

That book is now timely again it seems!!