PDA

View Full Version : What If Things Were Switched Around?

Toad82
Oct 26, 2008, 8:05 PM
I saw this elsewhere and wondered what others thought of it. Did it chage your thinking at all? RJ:lokai:

What If Things Were Switched Around?

Would the country's collective point of view be different?
Ponder the following:

What if the Obamas had paraded five children across the stage, including
a three month old infant and an unwed, pregnant teenage daughter?

What if John McCain was a former president of the Harvard Law Review? What
if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of his graduating class?

What if McCain had only married once, and Obama was a divorcee?

What if Obama was the candidate who left his first wife after a severe
disfiguring car accident, when she no longer measured up to his standards?

What if Obama had met his second wife in a bar and had a long affair while
he was still married?

What if Michelle Obama was the wife who not only became addicted to pain
killers but also acquired them illegally through her charitable
organization?

What if Cindy McCain graduated from Harvard?

What if Obama had been a member of the Keating Five?
(The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption
in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings
and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s.)

What if McCain was a charismatic, eloquent speaker, and Obama couldn't
read correctly from
a teleprompter?

What if Obama was the one with a history of public display, on many
occasions, of a serious anger management problem?

What if Michelle Obama's family had made their money from beer distribution?

What if the Obamas had adopted a white child?

You could easily add to this list. If these questions reflected reality,
do you really believe the election numbers would be as close as they are?

This is what racism does. It covers up, rationalizes and minimizes
positive qualities in one candidate and emphasizes negative qualities in
another when there is a color difference. Neither is perfect but color
shouldn't be a factor.

Educational Background:

Barack Obama:
Columbia University - B.A. Political Science with a Specialization in
International Relations.
Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude ('With Great Honor')

Joseph Biden:
University of Delaware - B.A. in History and B.A. in Political Science.
Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

John McCain:
United States Naval Academy - Class rank: 894 of 899

Sarah Palin: Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester
North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study
University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism
Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester

FalconAngel
Oct 26, 2008, 11:07 PM
Looking at that, I'm more qualified than Palin is. At least I have my degree; And my wife is even more qualified than I am.

Toad82
Oct 27, 2008, 12:44 AM
What if people like you stopped posting idiotic posts and posting about politics on a sex forum?

What if Obama wasn't such an Oreo (black on the outside, white on the inside), and a bald faced liar to begin with?

1) There is more to life than sex. You would know that if you pulled your head out of your ass.

2) If I can't talk about politics, why can you?

Westwick
Oct 27, 2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks Toad82, I liked your post. I agree, we are more than sex fiends here. I liked your profile too

AFTER9
Oct 27, 2008, 8:42 AM
I'll take this idea furthur:

What If we look past just the two candidates that the major parties selected? The ones where we often choose not by the one we want but against the one we don't.
What if we considered that there are other choices struggling to have their voices heard?
I'll name 3 of them just for the sake of conversation
Ralph Nader--Independent
Bob Barr ----Libertarian
Cynthia McKinney-- Green Party

FalconAngel
Oct 27, 2008, 11:23 AM
I'll take this idea furthur:

What If we look past just the two candidates that the major parties selected? The ones where we often choose not by the one we want but against the one we don't.
What if we considered that there are other choices struggling to have their voices heard?
I'll name 3 of them just for the sake of conversation
Ralph Nader--Independent
Bob Barr ----Libertarian
Cynthia McKinney-- Green Party

And don't forget Ron Paul - also an Independent. He's been fighting to balance out the child custody/father persecution laws.

12voltman59
Oct 27, 2008, 5:10 PM
I heard Ralph Nader debating, on CSPAN coverage of an independent debate, debating the candidate for the Constituiton Party.

Nader actually had some good ideas---actually closer to some of the things I would like to see discussed----

One point he brought up--it is a bit wonky---but there is a group of conservatives--mainly some legal scholars who are members of The Federalist Society--who hold that "we need to turn the clock back" in regards to the Constitution---they call themselves "Strict Constructionalists" -----they tend to hold that all of the things like civil rights laws, granting of abortion rights and all that--should go away since it wasn't in the wording of the Constitution as first written----but as Nader pointed out---there is no place in the Constitution that mentions one word that corporations have the same sort of rights that individuals do---Nader stated he would like to see the laws that granted corporations such status revoked----and I am in favor of that----

These conservative legal scholars--like Robert Bork for those who recall him---say nothing at all about those court rulings over the years that gave corporations "rights," just those that extended the rights of individuals.

The Constitution says "We the People" but says nothing about "We the Corporations."

Both Nader and the Constitution Party guy agreed totally on this point--they also agreed that if they somehow got elected--as their first act as president--they would go back and undo about 99.99999 percent of the things that recent presidents have done, especially Geo. W. Bush, that have greatly and unConstitutionally done to illegally extend the powers of the presidency.

The only problem with that debate--they didn't have Bob Barr there---so it wasn't a complete independent debate--but I will say---both Nader and the Constitution Party candidate actually talked about issues and such at length--they went beyond campaign "talking points!"

They actually responded to each other instead of "talking at each other" as happens in the "real" debates.

It was--wow what a concept----actually a debate that was informative----if not for his stand on abortion and a few other things--I even liked the Constitution Party guy!!!

Hell--I might just have to vote for Nader---it might be 'throwing my vote away"--but at least I would be voting for someone who actually does deal with some real issues and doesn't make any grandiose promises---promises that simply can't be kept---at least without totally busting the system---something that most objective economists say that the policies of both Obama and McCain are going to do if they do as they promise.

Since one of 'em is gonna be prez---let's hope they are true politicians and don't follow through with what they have promised in the campaign!!

If they do hold to their promises on what they plan to do---bend over and get ready to take a rrrrrrealllllllyy BIG ONE---WITHOUT ANY LUBE AT ALL!!!!!!

:bigrin::bigrin::bigrin::bigrin:

Celtiff2106
Oct 28, 2008, 3:09 AM
12voltman59, I do see exactly what you are saying...the problem is that I personally feel, as do others, is that voting for someone outside the two main parties is kind of like throwing your vote away. Which is sad, kind of like a catch-22 really.

muzhroom
Oct 28, 2008, 3:54 AM
I saw this elsewhere and wondered what others thought of it. Did it chage your thinking at all? RJ:lokai:

What If Things Were Switched Around?

Would the country's collective point of view be different?
Ponder the following:

What if the Obamas had paraded five children across the stage, including
a three month old infant and an unwed, pregnant teenage daughter?

What if John McCain was a former president of the Harvard Law Review? What
if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of his graduating class?

What if McCain had only married once, and Obama was a divorcee?

What if Obama was the candidate who left his first wife after a severe
disfiguring car accident, when she no longer measured up to his standards?

What if Obama had met his second wife in a bar and had a long affair while
he was still married?

What if Michelle Obama was the wife who not only became addicted to pain
killers but also acquired them illegally through her charitable
organization?

What if Cindy McCain graduated from Harvard?

What if Obama had been a member of the Keating Five?
(The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption
in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings
and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s.)

What if McCain was a charismatic, eloquent speaker, and Obama couldn't
read correctly from
a teleprompter?

What if Obama was the one with a history of public display, on many
occasions, of a serious anger management problem?

What if Michelle Obama's family had made their money from beer distribution?

What if the Obamas had adopted a white child?

You could easily add to this list. If these questions reflected reality,
do you really believe the election numbers would be as close as they are?

This is what racism does. It covers up, rationalizes and minimizes
positive qualities in one candidate and emphasizes negative qualities in
another when there is a color difference. Neither is perfect but color
shouldn't be a factor.

Educational Background:

Barack Obama:
Columbia University - B.A. Political Science with a Specialization in
International Relations.
Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude ('With Great Honor')

Joseph Biden:
University of Delaware - B.A. in History and B.A. in Political Science.
Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

John McCain:
United States Naval Academy - Class rank: 894 of 899

Sarah Palin: Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester
North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study
University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism
Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester

Excellent post and right on the money. Color should not be an issue. Ever!

Naturaly if Obama was not a great candidate he would not have made it as far as he did and if race is the big deal here why didn't Jessy Jackson make president?
I am so sick of people who want to hate on Obama just because he is half black.

I am not voting for Obama, my candidate withdrew (Ron Paul) and I have no interest in voting for either tickets at this time due to their blind support of a certain outlaw country. However I don't hate Obama and make up stories and lies about him because he is Half Black!

darkeyes
Oct 28, 2008, 6:42 AM
12voltman59, I do see exactly what you are saying...the problem is that I personally feel, as do others, is that voting for someone outside the two main parties is kind of like throwing your vote away. Which is sad, kind of like a catch-22 really.

... an long as peeps think an feel like that.. ther can b no hope for ne 1 else.. an no reel hope for US democracy...

..course thats the way the 2 big parties like it.... vote wivya heart hun ..as well asya mind... an mayb ova few elections things mite jus change...

badkitty87
Oct 28, 2008, 8:24 AM
for those of us that aren't American: http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com/

its interesting to see how things would be if we all had a say.

12voltman59
Oct 28, 2008, 10:47 AM
Good lord----the Troll came back---that was a particulary nasty name it chose that time-----but definitely predictable---

I know I should not be surpirsed at the things the troll does anymore----but what does get me----it just does not give it up---even when each time it comes-----it gets its profiles and posts deleted almost immmediately-----

What is the old saying??? "To keep doing the same thing over and over again that gets you no where is the definition of insanity" or something of that sort----I have thought this person simply had some relatively minor mental problems----but I am now thinking----

THIS PERSON IS BAT SHIT CRAZY!!!!!! A real whack job!!!!!

AFTER9
Oct 28, 2008, 11:04 AM

I like to look at it as letting these 3rd parties who have the courage to battle a system stacked against them that some people are listening. That we do appreciate having thoughtful ideas introduced. That their efforts were not in vain.
There's an expression in sports that" 2nd place is the first loser". With all the challenges facing our country that seems to be dangerous thinking. We need all the smart ideas and wise people using their brains as we can get. Another line that comes to mind that was uttered by our current incumbent President was "Your either With US or against us" That scares me in politics. The issues are more complex and often there is more than one way to get to the destination desired. Closed minds in times like these seem to be a real danger not 60s antiwar guys or Inner City voter drives.

FalconAngel
Oct 28, 2008, 1:28 PM
for those of us that aren't American: http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com/

its interesting to see how things would be if we all had a say.

It is very interesting to note, in the results, that even Isreal (which has a very powerful support base here in the US) is NOT in support of McCain.