PDA

View Full Version : any risks come with oral sex?

holydragoon
Jan 3, 2006, 6:26 PM
ok guys you gotta help me out on this one... i get different answers from everyone...
here is the thing, i gave a guy a blowjob the other day (god it was pretty amazing) but thats besides the point. I started thinking about STD's etc. and it suddenly became very clear to me that i had no idea whther this guy has anythin' or not... are there great chances of getting anything through oral sex with either men or women? some poeple say no and others always encourage condoms even during oral sex.... what's the truth? (help)

love ya all :male: :bipride: :female:

ThrillMe
Jan 3, 2006, 6:45 PM
Holy cow!

The risks for STD's etc are exactly the same for vaginal intercourse, anal sex or oral sex ... if there's an STD present in the spot you're licking/sucking/fucking, that you've got the chance of getting it.

I don't need to quote medical journals, etc because it's a simple known fact.

One of the issues facing teens these days is that many are under the mistaken belief that "oral sex is safe, because it's not sex". They're finding out the hard way.

By all means, give blowjobs ... but be safe.

smokey
Jan 3, 2006, 6:56 PM
I have read that the chances of getting AIDS via oral sex is alot less than by vaginal or anal sex, but that was a few years ago.

the biggest problem I've ever had was lockjaw...the fucker took so long to cum my jaw just sorted froze up LOL LOL LOL :bigrin:

cchalmer
Jan 3, 2006, 6:58 PM
Some people would claim that as long as you don't swallow then there is no risk......BUT the plain and simple truth is no matter how you come into contact with the bodily fluids of another person (and yes that includes semen) you are in danger if that person is infected with some sort of disease.

Condoms go a long way to reducing the risk but do not totally eliminate it.

For the sake of everybody that you love always always practice safe sex.

Remember.......no glove....no love!!!!!!!!

Driver 8
Jan 3, 2006, 8:32 PM
My understanding was that although there is some risk of transmitting STDs via oral sex, it is not identical to the risks for all other kinds of sex.

For example, being penetrated anally by a penis is high risk for transmitting HIV, because, first, the lining of the rectum can develop small tears more easily than (for example) the inside of the mouth and, second, because there's a high concentration of HIV in semen.

I am completely in favor of practicing safe sex, and think it's more than condoms. (I have known some women who've learned the hard way that even if sex between women rarely spreads HIV, it's very effective at spreading other STDs.) However, I don't find it useful to treat all behavior as equivalent.

Woody
Jan 3, 2006, 9:03 PM
If it really is worrying you then get yourself to your doctor and if not to your regular doc then another.The unknown is what will make you sick(with worry).

yaknowthatguy
Jan 4, 2006, 1:49 AM
risks of transmission via genital-oral route are substantially lower than penile-anal. BUT - nobody knows exactly now low, so risk is inherent. Use condoms. Oral infections are rather common in the gay community, and HIV/Hep risks are there.

Your risk is suspected to markedly increase if you brush your teeth within 90 minutes prior to oral sex - this is because most toothbrushes cause tiny abrasions to your gums, increasing opportunity for infection. If you're concerned, just use mouthwash.

Abstinence is best for mitigating risk...and essentially ZERO fun. Use condoms and enjoy!

OralBradley
Jan 4, 2006, 3:20 PM
Some people would claim that as long as you don't swallow then there is no risk......BUT the plain and simple truth is no matter how you come into contact with the bodily fluids of another person (and yes that includes semen) you are in danger if that person is infected with some sort of disease.

Condoms go a long way to reducing the risk but do not totally eliminate it.

For the sake of everybody that you love always always practice safe sex.

Remember.......no glove....no love!!!!!!!!

:flag2: :male: Actually, if the semen were to go directly to the stomach, any of the AIDS virus would be immediately destroyed by the acid environment. If you have any bleeding gums, you would be vulnerable to virus entreing thru them. Even without an easy ingress, the thin skin inside the mout and other accessable body orifices are ALWAYS vulnerable.
Getting sucked is somewhat safer because spit has a very low (but not zero)titer of the virus. However, if the person doing the sucking had blood in the mouth and nicks your cock with teeth to create an opening, you may well have had it.

HudsonValleyNY
Jan 4, 2006, 3:34 PM
Although some of the post here have relagated answers to HIV, you should know that STD transmission does not require an exchange of 'bodily fluids.' True that fluids are required for the transmission of HIV, and that there is a danger of contamination if one has any breaks in the linning of the mouth or if one has a history of bleeding gums. Lacking such breaks and bleeding, the chances of HIV infection during oral sex is almost, but not entirely, negligeble. But STD's are another matter, and caution should be taken to ensure your health.

JohnnyV
Jan 8, 2006, 3:50 PM
Forgive me for jumping on this thread so late but I just realized it was here today. I have done a lot of research into oral sex risks, so I can share some points below:

The CDC and the WHO both agree on an estimated risk of about 2.5 per 10,000 acts of receptive oral sex (giving a man a blow job) if the other person is infected with HIV. The data about with or without ejaculation is unclear.

This is significantly lower than the perceived risk for anal sex, which is somewhere around 40 or 50 per 10,000 acts, and vaginal sex, which is at 10 per 10,000 (for women) and 6.5 (for men).

No known case of receiving HIV by getting a blow job from someone else has yet been documented. The WHO lists the risk at around .5 per 10,000 acts, but most scientists will tell you that it is so incredibly unlikely that the risk is effectively zero. You have to be sucking a cock to be at any risk of getting HIV from oral sex.

Dr. Jeff Klausner, who is in a San Francisco health department specializing in AIDs, disagrees even with the CDC's figure as too high. He says, in his column on gay.com, that there is no evidence that bleeding gums, sore throats, or any other abrasions in the mouth increase the risk of HIV transmission. Theoretically, it is possible that sores increase the risk, but they have never found any evidence to back that theory up. The same goes for brushing your teeth; it is an idea that goes around, but isn't backed by any evidence.

Saliva has special blocking properties because it is often neutralizing pathogens in the disease-prone area of the mouth. Some evidence by researchers like Susan Buchbinder and Kimberly Page-Schaefer indicates that saliva itself may be the key factor, not necessarily whether someone has sores or whether the insertor ejaculates. If the saliva in the mouth is weakened, because the mouth is dry or the immune system is weak, then the person sucking is at risk. But if the saliva is normal, then there is probably zero risk.

Because saliva is probably the key reason why oral sex is so much lower in risk than anal sex, other studies indicate that drinking alcohol before oral sex is the most dangerous thing, rather than brushing your teeth or flossing, which everyone tends to worry about. Alcohol dries out your mouth. In this regard, using mouthwash before or after oral sex might actually INCREASE the risk of HIV infection, because the alcohol in it doesn't kill the virus; instead, it dries out your mouth and kills the normal flora in your gums that help saliva block the retrovirus.

Also, if the insertor has HIV AND another sexual disease like gonnorhea or syphilis, then there may be more white blood cells shedding from his urethra and pre-cum. If that is the case, then the risk for the person sucking is higher.

Two San Francisco studies came up with contrary evidence and this is where some confusion arose. In one study, researchers asked about 100 people who recently tested positive for HIV, what their sexual habits had been. Based on their responses, they concluded that at least 7-8% of HIV infections had to be through oral sex, because there was no other plausible explanation. They also noted that the percentage could be higher, since many men had both oral and anal sex without condoms, so some people could have been infected orally, yet counted as "anal sex infections" by researchers because they were also being fucked without condoms.

Page-Schaefer politely refuted the above study in her own study. She tracked several hundred gay men who said, long before testing for HIV, that they only practiced oral sex. She followed them for a year or so. Many of them performed sex on HIV+ partners, none of them used condoms, and a lot of them swallowed, but not a single transmission of HIV occurred. Her study appears more reliable to me because it didn't depend on people to remember what they had or hadn't done, especially in an environment in which they may feel ashamed or defensive about anal sex. Rather, in her study, she was following oral-sex-only people from the very beginning.

Cautiously, I would have to say that when you look at all the evidence, the chance of getting HIV from being sucked is zero, and the chance of HIV from sucking a cock is slim. But "slim" isn't good enough for me, so I ain't sucking anything but my wife's clit.

The other thing I would say about oral sex is that it is such a uniquely pleasurable experience and giving it up is almost too dangerous for some people. Sucking cock is definitely the one thing I miss and stay up late at night, thinking about, wishing I could do it. I think for some people, trying not to suck cock might just make them feel more desperate, and then when they get drunk, they could lose their restraint and end up doing something more risky like anal sex. So Page-Schaefer and Klausner both think that celebrating oral sex, even with its small risks, will help reduce the HIV infection rates in gay and bisexual men.

J

holydragoon
Jan 8, 2006, 5:11 PM
wow thanx people... well since i was the one doing the sucking i guess i'm not THAT lucky after all.... what about STD's like herpes, chlamydia (not sureb out the spelling), etc... is it only transfered if the person you are sucking of has visible marks?

OralBradley
Jan 10, 2006, 3:59 PM
Although some of the post here have relagated answers to HIV, you should know that STD transmission does not require an exchange of 'bodily fluids.' True that fluids are required for the transmission of HIV, and that there is a danger of contamination if one has any breaks in the linning of the mouth or if one has a history of bleeding gums. Lacking such breaks and bleeding, the chances of HIV infection during oral sex is almost, but not entirely, negligeble. But STD's are another matter, and caution should be taken to ensure your health.

:bibounce: :male: How very true!!!

holydragoon
Jan 10, 2006, 5:34 PM
haha lol ops... cmon it was late at night... guess i missed that part ;)
thanx alot for the research :rolleyes: :flag2: