PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it-but some people are STUPID!!

12voltman59
Sep 13, 2008, 2:46 PM
I just finished watching a segment on one of the 24/7 cable channels of the Coast Guard rescuing a guy from what was left of the roof of a building on one of the island communities in the Galveston area--he was talking about how the building was washed off its pilings and the upper levels of it torn away by the wind and the lower level was full of water---

One of the reporters asked him: "After going through all that--what are you going to do in the next storm?"

Answer: "Uuuggghh, well I was born on this island and lived here all my life--I ain't going nowhere and I ain't leavin'"

What does it take to make people get some smarts??? I wonder how many would have to die and lose their houses before they get it?? You get your ass out of the way of a major hurricane!!!

I have lived through a few hurricanes and had a number of close calls with other full blown 'canes and tropical storms--I lived on some of those barrier islands and I can tell ya---when it looks like a big blow is coming--I headed inland and I hope that one of these days I will move back down by the sea again at some point. When I do and when a 'Cane is comin'--I will book my tush as far inland as I can go!!

I hate to say it ---but dumbasses!!!!

If someone is stupid enough to stay in the path of a major hurrincane---I say--no Coast Guard or National Guard rescues for you---your dumb stupid butt is on your own!!! And if you don't make it--maybe it is better that ya didn't----we don't need your genetic contributions to the gene pool any how!!

:bigrin::bigrin::bigrin:

billy_campbell
Sep 13, 2008, 3:13 PM
At the very least people like that sure get a BILL for the cost of saving their ass. Why should we taxpayers pay for it.

allbimyself
Sep 13, 2008, 3:24 PM
For the same reason we keep paying to rebuild houses for people in flood zones... more sympathy than brains on the part of the public. "Oh, those poor people can't get flood insurance." Yeah, there's a reason. They live in a flood plain! "They lost of everything, let's give them money to rebuild." Fine. Just stipulate they can't rebuild in the flood plain. "But that's their home, where they are from, we can't make them leave." Sigh. Repeat indefinitely.

12voltman59
Sep 13, 2008, 3:45 PM
I have to make it clear--my comments refer to those who could leave a place--but yet chose to stay in the face of mandatory evacuation orders by local, state and federal officials---not those who may not be able to leave--even though after Katrina--I don't think such a thing as that is going to happen again--now officials seem to have done a good job of providing transportation for folks who don't have a car.

Now--as the Lt Governor of Texas and the director of federal Homeland Security noted---thanks to some people being stubborn, foolish or whatever--the "first responders" have to spend time to save those who could have left unsafe areas initially before the storm but didn't!!

That takes away limited resources from those who have to be rescued from places that weren't considered unsafe, but wound up having flooding or other problems---and situations like that arise in every storm--those are legitimate rescue missions.

For those who get rescued in the evac order areas-- they should get a nice big fat bill from the local, state or federal governments depending upon what agencies and personnel rescued them!!!!!!

bm_jim
Sep 13, 2008, 5:31 PM
While I was in AZ they came up with a great idea. After years of telling people not to enter flash flood zones during storms they came out with "Idiot laws", if you enter a flood zone and require rescue, you get a bill and they will not neccessarily save your vehicle, just your sorry, stupid butt. and it ussually ends your picture on tv too. So you lose or have a huge car repair bill, you get a huge public assistance bill, and your friends and family see that the human gene pool may be better off if you are not permitted to breed.

GfandNewbie
Sep 13, 2008, 6:36 PM
While I was in AZ they came up with a great idea. After years of telling people not to enter flash flood zones during storms they came out with "Idiot laws", if you enter a flood zone and require rescue, you get a bill and they will not neccessarily save your vehicle, just your sorry, stupid butt. and it ussually ends your picture on tv too. So you lose or have a huge car repair bill, you get a huge public assistance bill, and your friends and family see that the human gene pool may be better off if you are not permitted to breed.

They have that law here in Las Vegas as well.......and I say Good! Serves the dumbasses right and I sure as hell don't feel sorry for their losing their vehicle or having their sorry-ass-pic on TV......at least everyone else will know to stay away from them and not procreate LMAO:rolleyes:

rissababynta
Sep 13, 2008, 10:50 PM
Aren't there chances of having some massive force of nature ruin your day anywhere you live though? I mean, obviously some places are notorious for being worse than other but it seems like there is a chance of mother nature coming and kicking your ass where ever you are.

12voltman59
Sep 13, 2008, 11:00 PM
Aren't there chances of having some massive force of nature ruin your day anywhere you live though? I mean, obviously some places are notorious for being worse than other but it seems like there is a chance of mother nature coming and kicking your ass where ever you are.

Sure Rissa--you can get a natural disaster at any place, at any time--but in the case of a hurricane-it is sorta like standing on a train track--you can see, feel and hear the thing coming-are you going to remain standing on the track as the train barrels headlong down the track to your position??

I don't know about you---but I am getting the heck out of the way of a train and a hurricane!!!

shameless agitator
Sep 13, 2008, 11:44 PM
I think idiot laws are the perfect solution! I had forgotten all about those, but we have something similar in Washington. Every year we have hikers and climbers who have to be rescued because they go into areas marked unsafe and the search and rescue agencies bill them for fuel, man hours and other related expenses for their rescues. As far as helping people rebuild, I'm all for it. As riss pointed out, there really is nowhere you can live where you're not in danger of some kind of natural disaster. If people want to build in a flood plain where levees can fail, how is that any dumber than living in an area prone to earthquakes and forest fires?

12voltman59
Sep 14, 2008, 1:05 AM
I think idiot laws are the perfect solution! I had forgotten all about those, but we have something similar in Washington. Every year we have hikers and climbers who have to be rescued because they go into areas marked unsafe and the search and rescue agencies bill them for fuel, man hours and other related expenses for their rescues. As far as helping people rebuild, I'm all for it. As riss pointed out, there really is nowhere you can live where you're not in danger of some kind of natural disaster. If people want to build in a flood plain where levees can fail, how is that any dumber than living in an area prone to earthquakes and forest fires?

I agree on the rebuilding part--there is no place on earth that you cannot get your house wiped by something--and it is nice to live on the ocean -I have had a few places on or nea the ocean myself and probably will again. But I don't stay when I know a hurricane is coming--and around here in Ohio-if I knew when the tornadoes are coming--I would get out of their ways too!!

That is why when there are bad storms at night around here that can spawn tornadoes--I don't sleep much!! I am not going to let a storm wipe me out in the middle of the night if I can help it!! LOL

elian
Sep 14, 2008, 9:39 AM
"Warning: Open Windows Can Be Hazardous to Your Health - (failure to read and follow these directions could lead to possible hazardous injury or death)"

"Insect Screens CANNOT prevent children from falling out of windows" (imagine that).

Shit son, and all this time I've been working my ass off to pay the mortgage and there you go - I'll invent some blast resistant window screens and make millions!!

Moral of the story - doesn't matter how many idiot proof labels you put on things - there's always an exception to the rule who knows better.

allbimyself
Sep 14, 2008, 10:26 AM
I think idiot laws are the perfect solution! I had forgotten all about those, but we have something similar in Washington. Every year we have hikers and climbers who have to be rescued because they go into areas marked unsafe and the search and rescue agencies bill them for fuel, man hours and other related expenses for their rescues. As far as helping people rebuild, I'm all for it. As riss pointed out, there really is nowhere you can live where you're not in danger of some kind of natural disaster. If people want to build in a flood plain where levees can fail, how is that any dumber than living in an area prone to earthquakes and forest fires?The flood plain was just an example. I never said there wouldn't be situations that people shouldn't be helped but people need to take some responsibility for their own actions and inaction.

Bluebiyou
Sep 14, 2008, 10:34 AM
But idiot laws can be racist.
Consider that Scientific American ran a front cover article regarding New Orleans and flooding in 1998 (I think, no later than 2002). The article outlined that the world was looking to New Orleans (NOLA) as how NOLA would deal with being a city mostly (and progressively) beneath sea level. There are some European cities (North Sea) that use 'reclaimed land' to expand themselves. The article pointed out that the protection designed by the army corps of engineers (300 linear miles of dikes and levys) ...(no lesbian jokes here)... was for a hurricane up to CAT 3. The north sea has terrible, terrible, storms but nothing matching a hurricane's storm surge.
Consider also that throughout the 1980's Scientific American, while a progressive and wonderful publication, almost required a college degree to understand most (certainly required to understand all) of the articles. Scientific American 'dumbed down' it's articles in the 1990's to 2008/present to increase readership; but this would only be apparent to a long term reader.

Unfortunately, sales of Scientific American are very low - in certain low income areas of New Orleans. Indeed the local news paper ran a large front page article in the previous year or two regarding the same issue of hurricanes. NOLA is below sea level, and the levy system was designed for up to CAT3 hurricane.
Granted, in certain low income areas of New Orleans not all folks read the paper every day. It might be speculated that literacy is quite low in these areas.
These folks, no matter how illiterate, bought into or lived below sea level.
Now when a mandatory evacuation has been called and a CAT 3 storm is on the way, it's time to get out, or at least have a high water survival plan.
Any redneck idiot along the Mississippi/Alabama/Florida gulf coast will prepare for a hurricane. If within so many feet of sea level, will often mount an ax in the attic. If the water comes in suddenly, it's hard to go out doors/windows that water is rushing in, so folks are often forced to go up into the attic. How do folks escape an attic filling from below with water? They use an ax, kick out a gable with their feet, or drown. Plus we keep reserve supplies... water, food, flashlights, battery powered radios, generators, batteries, plastic tarps & bags ($100 of plastic per household is barely adequite)... at least those of us who don't mind dropping $100 or two (50 -100 pounds British) at a time. I, personally have about $500- $600 (hell, maybe $1000, I'm pretty wealthy) invested in survival supplies (kept in a certain cabinet close to the roof).
Why? Most recently, Hurricane Camile, 1969. Lot's of damage, lot's of dead people. People throughout the region (gulf coast/east coast - this is school children subject)(including Louisana - state of New Orleans) learned from other's suffering/dying.
Plus, there will always be the partying people.

Now, let's tie this together to my original hypothesis.

NOLA, the bad neighborhoods, were bad. I can count on my fingers the times in all the years of my life I've driven4wheel/rode2wheel - packing live (locked and loaded) 9mm heat. Every time (2 or 3) my business took me through/into bad NOLA neighborhoods, I packed. You'd be an idiot not to. In traffic, you always leave room so you can ride up on the sidewalk... anywhere, just DON'T let yourself get trapped in traffic - no where to go.
Folks who live in this savage urban jungle know this (I've felt safer in East St. Louis if this gives you a clue, also Harlem NY has a lower murder rate than NOLA). People watch neighbors to see who leaves and when... and if the house is empty... very predatory. Of course, everyone wants to protect what they have. So when a hurricane and evacuation come, this is opportunity time for the thieves/sociopaths. The decent poor folk know this. While the flooding of Katrina was a bit of a surprise. Had the levys held 100%, the flooding would have been minimal; playing with a logical danger - here comes a CAT3, dikes and levys designed for CAT3 - "we should leave". And then comes the lemming effect; "what's everyone else doing?". The most desperate ("I've got to protect what's mine"), the willfully ignorant/idiots (aw, we'll be okay), and the predatory ("Man I can steal everything while everyone's gone") stayed behind. Unfortunately, the predatory tend to be too clever, resourseful, and tough to die, and while they might abandon their quest of treachery to survive, so many others might not (abandon defenses) until it's too late.
The vast majority of these low income folks of New Orleans are black. And if you understand anything about the 'cycle of poverty' and prejudice, you understand why they're 'kept' in the ghettos. Hell, I'd be scared to hire a black from NOLA, because the bad ones disguise themselves as good ones.

And that's why idiot laws can be racist.
:)
Blue

jem_is_bi
Sep 14, 2008, 11:14 PM
"Consider also that throughout the 1980's Scientific American, while a progressive and wonderful publication, almost required a college degree to understand most (certainly required to understand all) of the articles. Scientific American 'dumbed down' it's articles in the 1990's to 2008/present to increase readership; but this would only be apparent to a long term reader." quote from Bluebiyou

I loved to read Scientific American until the 'dumbed down' articles started to dominate. Now, I no longer subscribe or read it. I loved the very technical knowledge written by top scientists that it once conveyed to its readers.

darkeyes
Sep 15, 2008, 8:25 AM
The flood plain was just an example. I never said there wouldn't be situations that people shouldn't be helped but people need to take some responsibility for their own actions and inaction. At time a ritin am up at me dads cottage afta havin luffly an safe birfday weekend.. get up ere wen me can even in depths a winta... all round r bloody gr8 mountains wich in summa can b bad enuff wiv the speed weatha changes ere but in winta r jus lethal.. 100mph blizzards, -10c at nite worse.. heavy rainstorms wich soakya an chillya 2 the bone.. an in January wot do we c?? Idiots riskin life an limb tootlin up mountains in a wolly jumpa a fleece jeans an trainers... then we hear a the mountian rescue out 2 save ther stupid arses, frequently unsuccessfully, an who all 2 often lose 1 or more a ther own... bad enuff climbin mountains wiv the rite kit...an gettin caught in a storm..but wy climb em wen ya jus aint prepared..an worse iggie the weatha forecasts?

warmpuppy
Sep 15, 2008, 9:18 AM
What these idiots refuse to acknowledge or understand is that those trying to rescue them are in harm's way themselves. When you decide to put your life in jeopardy, you are making a decision which might lead to the death of a rescuer.

void()
Sep 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
"I hate to say it-but some people are STUPID!!"

This is news? In all seriousness I have learned to not underestimate human ingenuity or stupidity. The moment you do it can lunge back and bite you in the ass, hard.

Tell a passer by there are billions of stars in the sky overhead. They believe you. Paint a bench and tell someone the paint is still wet ...

"Gee, he wouldn't have bothered saying that unless ..." Somehow the reasoning escapes them.

And something that really has started gnawing at me. Here's an example. I'm in the shower and mom, whom we live with presently, hollers back "We're getting ready to leave!" I was not going with them. I had to shower and prepare for going to work. They waited, as though in expectation of something.

What, I'm supposed to hop out of the shower naked and wet and go beg them to stay? I'm supposed to drop the bar of soap, slip and fall? They were waiting for an alien abduction? I had to be notified they were leaving in order to grant them permission?

"I don't get it Shaggy."

People do that sort of thing to me all the time. "We're doing x ..." pause ... Meanwhile here's me thinking "Oh, okaaaaay ... um when are you going to?"

Perhaps, I'm just caught in a speed limbo or something. When I say I'm going to do, actually I don't say, I just do. The same with trying now that I think about it, never try anything, just do it.

Oh no! I've become Zombified. Too much 1965, More Human Than Human, Living Dead Girl ... Arrrrrgggggggggh!

"Must listen to Ministry ... no, not Ministry ... Neil Diamond!" "Ack!!!"

It's like WTFVU all over again on a reincarnate cycle, help!

WTFVU -- WTF plus DejaVu

First experienced a WTF moment way back in 1994. Every WTF moment thereafter has been WTFVU. It always reminds me of exploding baby heads.

Don't ask, it was a weird time then.

Yes people are stupid. That won't change, no matter how much we rant against it. You can educate ignorance. You can do nothing with stupidity, unfortunately.

Randypan
Sep 15, 2008, 1:02 PM
When someone tells you they are leaving, no reply except an acknowledgment is wanted or needed. They are informing you as a courtesy. It is rather rude to simply disappear.

bigredpigdriver
Sep 16, 2008, 2:15 AM
Well I cant really add anything to this but yes some are stupid and they should be thined from the heard:eek:

vittoria
Sep 16, 2008, 8:16 AM
But idiot laws can be racist.
Hell, I'd be scared to hire a black from NOLA, because the bad ones disguise themselves as good ones.

And that's why idiot laws can be racist.
:)
Blue

Ummm... is it actually the "idiot laws" that are 'racist', or just YOU?

I've noticed a lot of random stuff and jimminy cricket if half of it is to inflame or denegrate.

Reply if you want, I'll never see it (from here on out)

Bluebiyou
Sep 16, 2008, 10:37 AM
Ummm... is it actually the "idiot laws" that are 'racist', or just YOU?

I've noticed a lot of random stuff and jimminy cricket if half of it is to inflame or denegrate.

Reply if you want, I'll never see it (from here on out)

Well, Vitt,
true, my statement is racist, but I think within the context of my entire statement. To issue an edict that "all those people stranded, whining for help in New Orleans (or died) got what they deserved for being idiots" is ultimately racist because leaving was contrary to survival ethics in the (black) ghetto of New Orleans.
I also think anyone hiring a minority from a crime ridden ghetto would be a fool not to be scared. Whether a black from NOLA or a hispanic from "little Havana"...
That's just one part of the entrapping 'cycle of poverty'. Guilt by association.
I don't know how much closer to sea level 'Little Havana' is than surrounding Florida. Harlem, New York is in no greater danger than surrounding area. Folks in East St. Louis got the hell out of Dodge during the great Mississippi flood of 1993 (but the flood level rose a little more slowly in ESTL in 1993 than NOLA post Katrina 2005). Ah, but the long flooded regions of NOLA were primarily black.
So NOLA is more unique that nearly all the 'idiots' are of one race.
Did they get what they deserve? Yes and No; the point can be validly argued both ways.
Have you ever been to NOLA, Vitt?
I have many times. On one occasion (1991), I saw a shirtless and raggety pants black man in chains (yes, real car-towing-grade chains/not even slightly swing set variety), leg irons (chains), with the chain running up around the horn of the saddle of the mounted policeman, marched down Chartres Street. I know more of the story, but too long for now. Nevertheless, the image shocked me and reminded me of 19th century captured slaves.
Believe it or not, I think both of these men were the 'good guys'.
It's a very intense situation in NOLA and understanding the 'cycle of poverty' (really more the 'trap of poverty') that occurs within a subculture is very real.
My racist statement "Hell, I'd be scared to hire a black from NOLA, because the bad ones disguise themselves as good ones." while (I freely admit - that was the whole point) racist, was meant to illustrate part of the trap of poverty in NOLA.
I'm sorry you were offended by what I said Vitt; I intended illumination, not to hurt feelings. The first part of my oration was to pander to the 'idiots deserve what they get' ideology (which has a lot of merit), while the second part was to illustrate the... mieu... social structure trap... of the Katrina NOLA flooding victims.
The Katrina NOLA whiners' "the government should have done this and that... and should give us money and take responsibility to avoid any inconvenience on our part..." is... slightly different.
Why wasn't there a similar outcry from the dumb rednecks of Biloxi (Bill-uxx-eee) or Gulfport... Slidell... Bay St. Louis? (Not saying all or even most Biloxi, etc residents are dumb, just the dumb rednecks that all of us know/knew that do live on the Gulf Coast).
If you want to paint me a racist for offering challenging stuff, fine. That makes me an easier character to deal with. Just put me on 'ignore' (wait, you already did that). Keep in mind that in my last will and testament, there are three people mentioned, my brother, Mrs. Blue, and a man (who happens to be black). As a matter of fact, the only change that I would make to my will now (my last will was a little rushed) would be to include another man (who also happens to be black). These men were and are my friends, and I would not shy away from facing death shoulder-to-shoulder with them.

12voltman59
Sep 16, 2008, 6:32 PM
Hey all--I didn't mean for this to degenerate into a name calling session---I guess it just hit me wrong seeing that report on that one guy who went through a bunch of shit during the storm--was lucky he survived--had to get rescued by the Coast Guard and then he says that he won't leave the island when the next storm comes----

Let's be civil in our discussioins of this and other topics---"can't we all just get along????"

darkeyes
Sep 16, 2008, 7:58 PM
Hey all--I didn't mean for this to degenerate into a name calling session---I guess it just hit me wrong seeing that report on that one guy who went through a bunch of shit during the storm--was lucky he survived--had to get rescued by the Coast Guard and then he says that he won't leave the island when the next storm comes----

Let's be civil in our discussioins of this and other topics---"can't we all just get along????"
Don b soft Voltie babes.. this is .com.. sumtimes we do sumtimes we hav lil squabble.... jus like life in the big bad outside...:tong:

void()
Sep 17, 2008, 1:35 AM
When someone tells you they are leaving, no reply except an acknowledgment is wanted or needed. They are informing you as a courtesy. It is rather rude to simply disappear.

Thank you. Now, I understand. I honestly did not.

Socializing and conversation are stumbling blocks at times. It is a learning disability. Pretty smart, just don't go outside the box much. In fact my wife has given me a cue sheet for conversation.

Her cue sheet is handy up to a point. There is still lots I don't tune into, though. I'm socially autistic, which seems fairly common amongst introverted folks.

We get where other folks go, just takes us a little bit to get it sorted. Often it appears we may be distant, rude ourselves. In fact we aren't attempting to be.

So we don't hold it against others simply leaving, when they need to leave. Acknowledge you leaving? Alright. I'll put that in my wife's cue sheet.

Thanks again. And for any wondering, yes I'm serious. Albeit I do write this with a bit of the tongue in the cheek. No point in not finding humor in myself. :)

PhoenixRising35
Sep 17, 2008, 3:05 AM
"Warning: Open Windows Can Be Hazardous to Your Health - (failure to read and follow these directions could lead to possible hazardous injury or death)"

"Insect Screens CANNOT prevent children from falling out of windows" (imagine that).

Shit son, and all this time I've been working my ass off to pay the mortgage and there you go - I'll invent some blast resistant window screens and make millions!!

Moral of the story - doesn't matter how many idiot proof labels you put on things - there's always an exception to the rule who knows better.

That's sort of like this warning for Preparation H. I still wonder if anyone has actually done this. Found at http://www.preparationh.com/hemorrhoid_medications/hydrocortisone_cream/hydrocortisone_cream_package_label.asp. It goes on to say " If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away. " Since it is stupidity and labels that you mentioned, I thought this might get a chuckle out of people.

12voltman59
Sep 17, 2008, 9:13 AM
I think the photo of the boys running their jet skis during the big wind storm on the lake is an example of "youthful exhuberence" at best-and a bit of the stupidity of youth---it is a wonder we make it past our youth since we all do something of that nature that is WWWAAYYYY less than smart!!

shameless agitator
Sep 17, 2008, 3:06 PM
My favorite warning label of all time was on a curling iron. "Do not insert into any orifice":eek:

Bluebiyou
Sep 18, 2008, 11:39 AM
Sorry, y'all.
I can't claim responsibility for Vitt's response. (Would she have said the same if NOLA was a hispanic, irish, or italian ghetto? :) )

But on occasion... some folks or groups of folks don't deserve to be swept into the category.

My personal favorite of stupid folks is the McDonald's old lady with the hot coffee. Some folks (along with their lawyers) should be dragged through mud and hot coffee!
And did you see the drunken partying folks on Galveston (Island) on CNN just prior to the hurricane?
I think those are folks who flirt (on occasion) with death. There are certainly times in life that I did!

Soul: "Mr. Death, shall we dance?"
Death: "Oh thank you. Yes, soon perhaps, but certainly later."

:devil:

yet, I'm far from convinced death is evil. Neutral, perhaps.

Bluebiyou
Sep 18, 2008, 11:43 AM
or
Hey y'all, watch this!

HighEnergy
Sep 18, 2008, 10:17 PM
My favorite warning label of all time was on a curling iron. "Do not insert into any orifice":eek:

YIKES!

I was amazed during Ohio's dry hurricane how many folks were out there cleaning up debri while the storm was still raging. My ex's neighbors were taken to the hospital when the rest of the tree fell on them. Duh!

The kids were off school and were with me in the car while I was driving around doing broker price opinions on houses. It was amazing how many folks couldn't cope with no traffic lights and wouldn't stop. I'd say, "look kids! There goes the center of the universe!" and 9 times out of 10 it would be someone is some huge SUV.

AFTER9
Sep 19, 2008, 10:38 AM
The hot coffee example is always quoted but there's more behind the story than most people think

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=McDonalds+superheated+coffee&fr=yfp-t-501&u=www.centerjd.org/archives/issues-facts/MB08_McDonalds0202.pdf&w=mcdonalds+mcdonald%27s+superheated+superheat+cof fee&d=abtT5vReRVYt&icp=1&.intl=us

From the way I understand it you can squeeze more liquid coffee by superheating the beans. There's a business law expectation based on reasonable expectations thats what this case is about. I'd guess McDonalds wants to keep that part as quiet as possible.

http://www.canf.bc.ca/briefs/mcdonalds.html

Lienda
Sep 23, 2008, 1:16 PM
Some people stay for the memories they have of the place. As he said "I grew up here". Some people have a hard time letting go of the memories, and need time to move on I guess. Some people have it with dishes, other people have it with the land.

Doggie_Wood
Sep 23, 2008, 3:00 PM

"Insect Screens CANNOT prevent children from falling out of windows" (imagine that)..........................

Point well made and agreed with.

My company makes high frequency, high voltage manufacturing equipment,
We delivered one such piece of equipment to Chino, CA
The unit was manufactured to OSHA standards (at least in Texas) (I thought OSHA was federal - oh well) and had safety guards around the top of the electrically charged area. This was not good enough. So we sent additional lexan and aluminum bracing to modify the safety guard to their California OSHA standards. In otherwords, we made it redundantly "idiot proof".
Later on, some doah-doah gets a ladder, climbs up it and while the unit is running and energized, sticks his hand to the electrical bus work and gets the shit shocked out of him and falls off the ladder.
They tried to sue but with pictures of teh original safety and modified safety precautions as well as the signed installation report, they eventually dropped it.
So....

If you're going to live in a flood zone - you buy flood insurance
If you're going to live in a Hurricane proned are - you buy flood insurance with huricane inclussion
If you're going to live in the tornado belt - you make sure your home owners policy is up to date and you buy a tornado shelter
If you'r going to live .......... catch the meaning?
And if you're told to get out (and you're able to) get the fuck out!

And if you can't afford the insurance, don't move there. If you do move there, the risk is ALL on you. So don't look for handouts or simpathy from me.

just my :2cents:

:doggie:

vittoria
Sep 23, 2008, 4:49 PM
So....

If you're going to live in a flood zone - you buy flood insurance
If you're going to live in a Hurricane proned are - you buy flood insurance with huricane inclussion
If you're going to live in the tornado belt - you make sure your home owners policy is up to date and you buy a tornado shelter
If you'r going to live .......... catch the meaning?
And if you're told to get out (and you're able to) get the fuck out!

And if you can't afford the insurance, don't move there. If you do move there, the risk is ALL on you. So don't look for handouts or simpathy from me.

just my :2cents:

:doggie:

Pretty fkkn much, dOOd!!:cool:

elian
Sep 23, 2008, 5:19 PM
..from link above..

"From 1982 to 1992, McDonald’s coffee burned more than 700 people, including children and infants, many receiving severe burns to the genital area, perineum, inner thighs, and buttocks"

Are people douching with this stuff or what? Superheated coffee enema?

WTF is wrong with people? Put the HOT coffee in a cup holder, drink the coffee at work - don't put it between your legs, the legs of children and infants or anyone else unless you have decided you no longer want to have kids.

and yeah 190F coffee does seem a little excessively hot..who the f'k can drink that?