PDA

View Full Version : I thought this was interesting

wolfcamp
Aug 10, 2008, 11:38 PM
I have been rereading a book that I read several years ago. I ran across a paragraph that struck me as very interesting the first and second time I read it. I was a little startled by this statistic, but I have no reason to disbelieve it. The book is called Before The Dawn by Nicholas Wade [Chapter 8: Sociality, pg 171].

Here is the paragraph. What do you think?

Human geneticists testing people for heritable diseases quite frequently stumble across cases where the father of record cannot be the biological parent. Genetic counselors have a rule of thumb that these discrepancies known delicately as nonpaternity cases, will range from 5 to 10 percent in average American or British population. For the U.S. population as a whole, "The generic number used by us is 10 percent," said Bradley Popovich, vice president of the American College of Medical Genetics.

Toad82
Aug 11, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have been rereading a book that I read several years ago. I ran across a paragraph that struck me as very interesting the first and second time I read it. I was a little startled by this statistic, but I have no reason to disbelieve it. The book is called Before The Dawn by Nicholas Wade [Chapter 8: Sociality, pg 171].

Here is the paragraph. What do you think?

It scares me to ever trust a female partner completely just because of that. I know a few people including my brother that is raising a child that they now know are not theirs. It also reminds me of a line from the movie “JFK”. "…How do you know who your daddy is? Because your mama told you so?"

Infact it gives me too many thoughts.

RJ:lokai:

TaylorMade
Aug 11, 2008, 12:14 AM
<looks at siblings then at self. . .then at Mom.

Oh Man. . .That would explain stuff.

*Taylor*

darkeyes
Aug 11, 2008, 8:35 AM
Me bro an me sis me mum an me dad r all tall.. me jus a lil short arse.... has caused the odd person 2 make catty comments bout me parentage.. but look enuff like me dad's mum (wen she wos yung) 2 b pretty sure that me dad is the person who has been spoilin me for the las 28 years or so now. tee hee.. She wos a short arse an all..

In ne case.. wudn matta 2 me.. me dad is the person me has called dad all me life...

HighEnergy
Aug 11, 2008, 8:54 AM
They've done studies on how father's can be reassured.

One study was given the pictures of a newborn and mother and father, folks can sort them out and guess the father more frequently than the mother. By 6 months of age, the kid looks a little less than like Dad. Both of my girls looked exactly alike at birth, just like their Dad's baby pictures. Now, one looks a little like me, the other one is still the image of her Dad.

Another thing is smell. Both of my girls smell just like their Dad.

darkeyes
Aug 11, 2008, 11:10 AM
<looks at siblings then at self. . .then at Mom.

Oh Man. . .That would explain stuff.

*Taylor*

ooo Taylor... jus dunno wot 2 say ther.. but 'cordin 2 me dad ne 1 who spent ne time 'tall in this city 25 or 30 years go hadta do summat 2 keep ersel' occupied.. tee hee:tong:

FalconAngel
Aug 11, 2008, 11:22 AM
On a related issue, this has a very detrimental effect on Dads after a divorce.

Most states disregard DNA in paternity disputes if the couple was married at the time the baby was born (as opposed to when the child was conceived) and fewer, still, will actually take the appropriate action when the Dad isn't the real birth father.
But even in those states that will take action, paternity must be proven within 4 years of the child's birth, or the tricked Dad is completely screwed and ends up paying for and being cut out of the child's life.
So in those cases, if the child is 4 years or older, the duped Dad is held financially accountable for a child that isn't even his.

wolfcamp
Aug 11, 2008, 5:04 PM
In the state where I currently live, the biological father is removed from the birth certificate when a young child is adopted. The adoptive father becomes the father of record, and it's like the real biological father ceases to exist. I don't know how many states are like that, and I wonder if this situation has any bearing on the statement above.

When I read that paragraph, I thought of the difference between the public and private faces of society. The public face lectures us about virtue and morallity, while in private the bed hopping and deception are rampant. I imagine sitting in a large venue like a school play, or church, and looking around to realize that the mother of every tenth child had an illicit liaison. I'm not moralizing. I don't really care what individual people do. It's just one of those little realizations where you pause and go "Huh!".

darkeyes
Aug 11, 2008, 8:32 PM
In the state where I currently live, the biological father is removed from the birth certificate when a young child is adopted. The adoptive father becomes the father of record, and it's like the real biological father ceases to exist. I don't know how many states are like that, and I wonder if this situation has any bearing on the statement above.

When I read that paragraph, I thought of the difference between the public and private faces of society. The public face lectures us about virtue and morallity, while in private the bed hopping and deception are rampant. I imagine sitting in a large venue like a school play, or church, and looking around to realize that the mother of every tenth child had an illicit liaison. I'm not moralizing. I don't really care what individual people do. It's just one of those little realizations where you pause and go "Huh!".Yas rite Wolfie hun... an the father of every 10th child did the dirty deed... an since many unmarried women hav kids by married men, an many of the kids raised by a father not, unknowingly, biologically thers, had biological fathers who wer themsels married..... like u am not moralisin.. jus pointin out that prob anotha 10&#37; at least is the result a sum such relationship of wich the wife invariably knows nowt... am sayin nowt bout the provision such fathers do or don make for those kids... cept 2 say that its haphazard at best...

As they say..takes 2 2 tango...

wolfcamp
Aug 12, 2008, 12:29 AM
Oops. I didn't mean to leave the men out of the equation. I suppose I was letting my male bias show through. After all, what man doesn't look around a room and say to himself, "Does she, or doesn't she?" I know, I'm a dog. :tong:

darkeyes
Aug 12, 2008, 9:55 AM
Oops. I didn't mean to leave the men out of the equation. I suppose I was letting my male bias show through. After all, what man doesn't look around a room and say to himself, "Does she, or doesn't she?" I know, I'm a dog. :tong:

Gay men mayb not think that Wolfie...:tong: Wolfie's r luffly dogs.. wudn like ther toothy pegs in me neck or ne wer else for that matta tho:bigrin:

Randypan
Aug 12, 2008, 11:15 AM
I lived my life blissfully ignorant until I was 42 when I discovered by accident that my "Father" was not my biological father. My mom and dad married when I was 18mo old and hid that from me (for a very good reason when I was a child but not when I was older) until I confronted them about it when I was 42. It was a huge shock...granted I don't look anything at all like my dad or my sister, but hey.