PDA

View Full Version : Need help in the Kitchen....for Kids..S.O.S

onewhocares
Jul 21, 2008, 6:47 PM
God knows how I got roped into this but........Belle ( the caterer )here has agreed to go and be a cook at a camp in Vermont in two weeks....and teach a class for youngsters on basic foods also.....what the hell was I thinking.

Since my daughter has always been at my side as my Sous Chef and does not have the pallate of a traditional 13 year old...I need YOUR help. My request of you here would be.....could those of you with children in the ages of 10-14 age range....give me an idea of some foods...be they main meals, desserts or snacks that I might be able to teach the kids. Nothing fancy...but I want them to come away with skills as well as I want to provide them with a cookbook of the receipes they can take home also.

Thank you all in advance. I owe you one!

12voltman59
Jul 21, 2008, 7:27 PM
Have fun Belle--better you than me--one thing you could cook for and to teach them about is Mac and Cheese----it is a good comfort food and it is a basic food to teach them to make.

For some great Mac and Cheese recipes--go check out Alton Brown's section of the Food Channel's website for his show "Good Eats"

He had an entire episode dedicated to the subject of Mac and Cheese.

welickit
Jul 21, 2008, 7:29 PM
Keep away from things with hot grease and boiling water. Kids in that age range tend to be overly active and unpredictable. Go for casseroles or baking/making bread, cookies etc. Perhaps a salad? Maybe an omelet? Keep it healthy and happy. Being from Vermont originally I would go for fresh pan fried trout and fried taters. Venison is out of season.

onewhocares
Jul 21, 2008, 8:37 PM
Oops....I forgot to add what I have come up with.....

First a survey for the kids to fill out....asking about any allergies they may have or are vegetarians. Then what kind of experiance they have in helping out in the kitchen at home. Going over safety guidelines.

Next I am really leary of doing any deep frying of ANY sort. I can not take the risk of the children really getting burned. I want to teach them one basic skill a day...say...chopping, dicing, grilling, beating, folding in sort of thing.

What I have come up with are..
1. Mac and Cheese..and the variations you can make.
2. Chicken Quesadillas and home made salsa.
3. Panko encrusted chicken tenders and sauces to go with them.
4. Chocolate Cup Cakes with cream cheese filling topped with an oreo.
5. Frozen Fruit skewers.

Another idea was to do one course of a meal a day...appetizer, salad, entree, veggies and dessert.

This is all I have come up with so far.

Thanks for all the help.

Belle

12voltman59
Jul 21, 2008, 9:37 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track Belle---whatever you consider doing I am sure will be just fine!!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 21, 2008, 9:38 PM
Hmmmm, lets see...
Boboli personal pizzas-quick, easy,inexpensive
Tuna salad and Ritz crackers with chopped green olives
Ritz crackers, cheese, lunch meat rounds
Spaghetti is always a good group thing, and cheap too. (Do you see a pattern here? I'm all For cheap and easy. (Shup Rich!)

Chili Nachos or just plain cheesy nachos.
Tamale roll ups-Canned tamales, shreeded cheese, mild salsa, tortilla shells dipped in hot oil gently then drained on paper towels.. Pile on the ingredence, then roll up. Good, but kinda messy...lol.
Untidy Joses-Canned tamales, cooked crumbled hamburger,shredded cheese, green onions, and chili flavored Freetos.
Tacos-Buy the pre-made taco shells, cook some hamburger, cheese, onions, tomatoes, sour cream.

Anything BBQ'ed! Hot dogs, chicken, burgers, steak ect. foil wrapped corn on the cob and veggies are Fantastic on the grill.
Get some large loaves of french bread, and make Build your own Sub sandwiches. All kinds of lunch meats, lettuce, cheese, pickles, ect. Get the kids into teams to make sandwiches, then trade type of thing.
Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup..lol (Good old stand by)

Marinated Mushrooms: The quick way-Get some fresh mushrooms,a white onion(Optional) a big jar of Wishbone Italian salad dressing and a big jar. Wash them thoroughly, then place in a big jar. Pour on the salad dressing and let them marinate in the ice box over night.
Cookies are an all time best for kids. Cupcakes are easy, too.

Just teach them clean up as well as Mess up, and you'll be fine, Hon.
Good Luck ;)
Contact me if you need more ideas..:}
Cat

arana
Jul 22, 2008, 3:59 PM
Sounds like you've come up with some great ideas on your own Belle, I hope you have a blast teaching them. I don't have kids but I do know if they're beginners always keep it simple so they don't get discouraged.

I did take cooking classes when I was between the ages of 8 and 13 so I do know some about that part...you might want to include some basics about cooking for any of the girls that may not even know how to boil water. i.e, proper ways to measure foods with measuring spoons, cups, dry vs. liquid, proper utensils, etc. Sometimes what is basic knowledge for most is totally oblivious to the novice.

I hope you'll share you experience with us once it's over! :tong:

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 22, 2008, 4:06 PM
Yikes! I forgot jello! Jello is sooo easy and versitile too.
Fruity jello-Any flavor of Jello and a can of mixed fruit occktail, or fresh fruit is Marvelous.
Jigglers are fun too. (The Jello you naughty minded peoples.):rolleyes:
And again, theres the cheap factor..lol
Let us know how it went Hon.. ;}
Cat:bigrin:

texasman6172003
Jul 22, 2008, 6:14 PM
Well Belle,Hon You certainly have your work cut out for you,:). Well i ain't got any kids,but all of my niece's and my nephew have allway's loved SLOPPY JOE'S!!! Just take that ground meat cook it up and at the cans of sloppy joe's sauce to it and Bingo!! Instant hit..The Sloppy joe sauce is cheap too!! It goe's great with chips ,french frie's or tater tots. I have yet to meet the kid that dint like Sloppy Joe's Hon.. Dont know if this helps,just my :2cents: :bigrin:...

texasman6172003
Jul 22, 2008, 6:17 PM
OH Belle iforgot to tell ya dont forget The Hamburger Buns for the Sloppy Joe's,LOL!!!:bigrin:

Falke
Jul 22, 2008, 8:42 PM
My first dish I learned to cook was taco salad at that age.

It requires 1lb ground beef, 2/3 cup water, one packet taco seasoning. Also, salsa, romaine salad, shreaded cheese, onions (maybe)

Anyhow, cook the beef until brown, drain fat and add water/taco seasoning. Allow water to boil off and serve.

Its quite the simple recipe and it only takes a time or two to get the hang of it.

onewhocares
Jul 22, 2008, 9:28 PM
Man...you all are the BEST. I am so glad that I posted this..I was sort of leary as I thought that the site would think that I am nuts for sure.. but know what..you have come thru.

Safey is going to be a key for me..I am so affraid of the children getting out of hand and not paying attention to me that I do not want hot oil or many pots of boiling water for many....

Love the taco projects, Sloppy Joe's.....what about renaming them if I add bell peppers and call the Sloppy Belle's? or Untidy Bella's.

Meatballs and sauce is a good one with salad. LOVE the marinated mushrooms Cat.

I am going to try and look back into the archives of this site for the food thread. A really special lady from down under had these desserts that I always wanted to make..porcupines or something...I shall have to ask CHOOK if I do not find it.

Mac and Cheese for Volty.....wonder if I could find 12 kinds of cheese and name it after him?

I shall keep you all posted. I still can not believe I got ropped into this.

Belle

jo69guy
Jul 22, 2008, 9:33 PM
Sausage Crescents:

2 cans crescent roll dough

1 pound pork sausage

8 onces cream cheese

Brown and drain sausage, then mix in cream cheese until melted together. Form 8 rectangles and spoon sausage mixture into center of each one. press seem together and place on greased cookie sheet seem side down. Bake at 350 until brown.

Can be split in half after baking for larger yield, and doubles easily, just double all ingredients.

Toad82
Jul 22, 2008, 11:03 PM
Probably not what you are wanting, but it got me interested in making food. The best part is there is no measuring and no actual cooking involved unless you make it a sauce.

Ingredients

Peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
Honey
Coconut flakes
Chocolate chips (optional) (melted if wanted)

Mix peanut butter, honey and chocolate chips in a bowl. Take about a tablespoon full of the mixture and roll in coconut flakes. Then eat!

You can also make the mixture then melt it down into a type of sauce and drizzle it over ice cream or a cake then add the coconut flakes.

RJ:lokai:

HighEnergy
Jul 24, 2008, 5:03 PM
Hi Belle,
Sounds like a great time for the kids, and something they may well remember for life.

Personally, I don't believe in kid's foods. Give 'em gourmet and let them like it. It's ok! (Leaves new folks wondering what's up when my kids order sauteed mushrooms and shrimp scampi at a festival, or make shrimp cocktail when we're camping)

My youngest makes better fetticine alfredo than I do. I can follow the same damn recipe and she'll out do me everytime. I think it's the patience in cooking the creme. But anyway, it's macaroni and cheese with a twist. Why not send them home with something that would wow most folks?

welickit
Jul 24, 2008, 6:09 PM
Depending when you are in Vermont there will be fresh wild berries free for the picking. Blue berries and blackberries mostly toward the end of summer. Pick them free and add them to pancakes or a berry bread/muffin mix. Early fall there will be apples so apple pie, applesauce or even apple crispe would be inexpensive quick and easy.
A WORD OF CAUTION Vermont has a large population of black bears. Whether you are camping or picking fruit, learn about the habits of black bears. Even if you are in a building a bear will follow if you leave food scraps laying around, garbage cans with old food etc. A bear will follow it's nose, even if it means going through a window or screen door. Cook safe.

chulainn2
Jul 24, 2008, 7:27 PM
my favorite as a kid, *ernie beans with fritos
1 can of pork n beans
1 lb of hamburger
1 onion
worcheshire sauce
1 can of tomato sauce (i like 8 oz, Boo used the bigger can)

brown hamburger, chop and cook onions until tender, put together in a pan, add tomato sauce and bring to boil, reduce and add worch. sauce to taste or anything else you want. pour on top of fritos in a bowl. ( i like to make mine with a punch now that im older, jalapeno saue, LA hot sauce, etc. but when i was a kid that woulnt work)

desert, three scoops vanilla ice cream. add a scoop of peanut butter and mix then top with hersheys chocolate sauce... still my favorite

* ernie was my uncle who died when i was in my 20's and he was in his 90's.
he was then considered to be the oldest Texas Ranger still alive. he grew up on the Texas-Mexican border on a ranch and even knew Pancho Villa personally. in those days in Texas, everything included beans. Aunt Boo (his wife and my token grandmother) made me these since i was 5 everytime I visited clear up to his end, darn they were good.

wyrd_truth
Jul 24, 2008, 11:01 PM
Making pizza is fun for kids, and is semi simple depending on if you store buy the stuff or make the stuff from scratch.
If you buy the stuff any kind of dough will do, but I've heard that they have some stuff that is made for making pizza. You can follow just about any bread recipe to get the same results if you want to do it from scratch.
Spaghetti sauce
cheese (mozzarella is a must, but different kinds are fun to play with to make it stringy)
any kind of toppings wanted (mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, peppers, etc.)

Stretch the dough until about 1/8-1/4 of an inch thick (depending on preference) and don't try tossing on the first pizza unless you have done it before or you want a lot of giggles. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the dough, then sprinkle the cheese and any toppings. Cook at 375 for about 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese in the center is all the way melted.

Nacho supreme: Each ingredient can have its own bowl/container for picky eaters.
Ground beef or turkey (for a healthier version)
tomatoes
lettuce
sour cream
cheddar cheese
tortilla chips
green onion
salsa (opional)

Brown the meat in a frying pan/skillet at low to med heat, stir occasionally. Chop the tomatoes, lettuce and green onion. Put the tortilla chips in a large bowl and the sour cream, cheese and chopped items in smaller bowls.
When the meat has been browned drain the meat and put it into a bowl of its own. The kids can serve themselves and make it they way they want it.

You can also do this with taco shells instead of tortilla chips and have tacos.

As for snacks just have a lot of fresh fruit available.

bigregory
Jul 24, 2008, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=wyrd_truth;108269]Making pizza is fun for kids, and is semi simple

Find some crazy stuff to put on personal pizzas and let the kids go crazy making there own.

meteast chick
Jul 25, 2008, 12:56 AM
I just ate and suddenly I'm hungry again!!!

Of course not knowing a lick of anything about Vermont and being a MidWest baby tried and true, I vote for Corn dogs, or your basic turkey dog (they won't know) and buns. Mac and cheese was easily my fave growing up, so ur ideas will certainly make their tummies rumble Belle.

Gonna have cookies, rice krispies and some melting ice cream aka shakes, for dessert? LOL.

luv and newly hungry kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Rach

still_shy
Jul 26, 2008, 10:35 AM
Leave it to me to be the worrywart LOL One thing you might want to consider is the financial restraints of some of the children going home. To teach them gourmet cooking is great, but is it something they can use when they go back? I was just curious as to what kind of camp it is... This may be a really dumb thought but I grew up really poor. My grandparents always sent me to summer camp for a couple of weeks every year. There was a cooking class similar to what you are undertaking. Nothing pissed me off more than the year I learned how to make a brilliant Beef Stroganoff and went home to make it for my mom. She couldn't afford to buy half the ingredients on the list. So..that's my two cents on that subject...don't know if it helps or if I should have kept my mouth shut....don't want to make you worry more than you are, Belle.
My daughter is 7 and LOVES to cook. I started teaching her the basics a couple of years ago. One of the things that is always a hit is a good homemade brownie recipe. She loves melting the chocolate and coming up with different ideas for add-ins and toppings. I've discovered it's hard to screw up brownies LOL The pizza idea is great, that's one of our favorites. How about sugar cookies? Kids always love to cut out the shapes and decorate them...Homemade noodles are another good one. A few basic ingredients and you have a good base for all sorts of stuff. Hope this helps.

Hillary

twisted sister
Jul 26, 2008, 4:49 PM
hi belle: i love to cook, and one of my favorite things to do is teach children how to cook. simple is best, the one thing i haven't seen is a ceaser salad. it's a great way to teach kids how to make a salad, that sounds cool. it can be done several ways. i have a 3 yr old grandaughter that can wash and tear romaine lettuce with the best of them. we pan fry our bacon, and drain it first (oven mitts are a must). then we make our croutons, any bread will do, but we like italian bread best, sprinkle the bread with your choice of spices, broil on one side, remove form oven turn the bread over, sprinkle the other side and broil. remove from oven and let cool. our favorite spices: garlic powder, basil, and parsley, but any combo will do. for the dressing there are so many store bought varieties that actually taste good ,so that may be a good way for you to go cost permitting of course. or google a homemade dressing, your crowd is older, so teaching them how make a basic ceaser dressing is also an opption. the basic dressing also works great as a veggie dip. as for what else to add to the salad the sky is the limit. my munchkin likes: romaine, mushrooms, red onions, croutons, and bacon. i like to teach this one because
it teaches so many cooking skills, and it tastes great, and the kids can taste everything they make all along the way. also have and easy oven roast dinner
to go with the ceaser but i think i've taken up too much space already.

twisted sister
Jul 26, 2008, 5:05 PM
hi belle: i love to cook, and one of my favorite things to do is teach children how to cook. simple is best, the one thing i haven't seen is a ceaser salad. it's a great way to teach kids how to make a salad, that sounds cool. it can be done several ways. i have a 3 yr old grandaughter that can wash and tear romaine lettuce with the best of them. we pan fry our bacon, and drain it first (oven mitts are a must). then we make our croutons, any bread will do, but we like italian bread best, sprinkle the bread with your choice of spices, broil on one side, remove form oven turn the bread over, sprinkle the other side and broil. remove from oven and let cool. our favorite spices: garlic powder, basil, and parsley, but any combo will do. for the dressing there are so many store bought varieties that actually taste good ,so that may be a good way for you to go cost permitting of course. or google a homemade dressing, your crowd is older, so teaching them how make a basic ceaser dressing is also an opption. the basic dressing also works great as a veggie dip. as for what else to add to the salad the sky is the limit. my munchkin likes: romaine, mushrooms, red onions, croutons, and bacon. i like to teach this one because
it teaches so many cooking skills, and it tastes great, and the kids can taste everything they make all along the way. also have and easy oven roast dinner
to go with the ceaser but i think i've taken up too much space already.

MissyMissy
Jul 26, 2008, 5:49 PM
burrito shells pizza style-
take a burrito shell lay flat add sauce and favorite veggies ect can do as a make your own meal. can be very yummy with assorted cheeses and veggies and spices. put in hot oven and watch to make sure they dont get burnt. when edges look browner and crispy remove from oven. best bet lay foil on open rack then lightly spray or brush with oil so burrito shells don't stick. i like mine with sauce, extra sharp cheddar and mozzarella, sliced roma tomatoes, thin sliced onion and pepper rings, mushrooms, and a lil biot of pepperoni sprinkled with italian spice mix or fresh herbs.
missy

onewhocares
Jul 28, 2008, 11:54 AM
Leave it to me to be the worrywart LOL One thing you might want to consider is the financial restraints of some of the children going home. To teach them gourmet cooking is great, but is it something they can use when they go back? I was just curious as to what kind of camp it is... This may be a really dumb thought but I grew up really poor. My grandparents always sent me to summer camp for a couple of weeks every year. There was a cooking class similar to what you are undertaking. Nothing pissed me off more than the year I learned how to make a brilliant Beef Stroganoff and went home to make it for my mom. She couldn't afford to buy half the ingredients on the list. So..that's my two cents on that subject...don't know if it helps or if I should have kept my mouth shut....don't want to make you worry more than you are, Belle.

Hilliary,

Thank you for your insight. In all honesty, I had not given that a thought. I am planning to teach them recipes that will only use regular everyday pantry and food items. This camp does not have tons of money also, so I am limited as to what I can have them prepare.....I think I am planning to do Breakfasts on Mondayday and will do an Egg Bake so we can serve it on Tuesday to the whole camp. Tuesday is Afternoon Snacks a chicken Quesadillas,Tacos and Pizza. Wednesday is devoted to quick and easy desserts. Thursday is going to be a chili Throwdown ( like Bobby Flay on the Food Network) the girls in the morning class will do one and the boys in the afternoon and we will serve it for lunch on Friday and have the whole camp vote on the winner. Friday is going to be Salads and Entree. Also included on Monday will be a Safety in the Kitchen Segment.

As the days grow closer I am getting more and more terrified to be honest....I am having two classes a day...girls (11-14 ) in the morning and boys 12-14 in the afternoon. Plus helping prepare three meals a day.

Most scary is that I have to share a room right behind the kitchen with the cook, a seventy year old man who the director was leary to inform me was a flirt.....Belle is going to have her hands full for sure. I can handle the older man..it is the KIDS that are scaring me.

Will let you know how I do....I may come home in need of theraphy.

Belle

still_shy
Jul 28, 2008, 2:06 PM
Belle,
I have a feeling you'll be able to hold your own with both the kids and the old man. The year my grandma cooked for the church camp, she swore it was easier to cook for the kids than it was to cook for her family, the kids would eat anything that didn't crawl off their plates LOL
Your menu sounds wonderful and I bet the kids will learn a lot from you. Kudos for caring so much about making a difference!
One last question....I blew up jello once in a cooking class. Do you have any idea how I would have done that...it was purely accidental and I haven't done it since. but can't help worrying I'm going to do it again when I make jigglers for my daughter LOL
Have fun, that's what it's all about!
Hillary

onewhocares
Jul 30, 2008, 10:16 PM
Well people....I have a few words.....the cook book for the kids at camp next week in Vermont is DONE. HOORAY. It is being proof read, laminated and spiral bound tomorrow.

I want to THANK ALL of you who have contributed recipes...from this read as well as the ones that Arana resurected. Contributions from Arana, Chook, m in high heels, gina, Itsjustme14,jadewind,Michael623,lady d,curiousbigdude, Mrs. F, rissababnta,mouse46,chulainn2,mistymockingbird,Toa d82,joe69guy, 12voltman, CherokeeMountainCat,texasman6172003,Zwitter,wyrd truth,stillshy, twisted sister, and Missy Missy. The book was divided into Breakfast....the most important meal of the Day, Afterschool Snacks, Decadent Desserts, Entrees to Enjoy, Silly Salads, Soups and Savories, and VEG OUT. Special thanks to my cheerleaders...Randy in PA, Used Bear, Mrs. F and willbeyours for your encouragement, humor and a glass of wine when things looked bleak.

In addition, on Thursday the classes, a boys and a girls class...I am taking the lead from Bobby Flay and they are going to have a Chili Throwdown....which the WHOLE camp will vote on for a winner. Will let you know how it all turns out. WISH ME LUCK.

Belle

ihavapa
Jul 30, 2008, 11:53 PM
I was at a time an "exective chef" in name only, did every thing from garbage detail to the dishes and many other things, try smores and fruit pizza, also maybe try some basics in food handling safety, like hand washing and sanitation, never too early to start good habits of that sort. Maybe kabobs would be something to try simple food assembly, no knives , slicers, commerical mixers or other things for the ones younger than 18.Baked items are a good idea, no wet towels/pot holders as they creat steam and nasty burns. If you need more help drop me a line I can always come up with something as I seemed to always ahve more than my far share of young helpers.

Randy from Pa
Jul 31, 2008, 7:15 AM
Hello Belle, I'm writing this before i leave for a long well deserved weekend. So here goes.......you know me...simple and easy,inexpensive. 1st breakfast.....how about Pizza Omlettes...all kids love pizza. make your eggs as normally done for omlettes....then just b4 the eggs are done,put a line of tomato sauce in the middle,with mozzarella cheese on top of it. Fold and put a teaspoon of sauce on top and more mozzarella on it. Put a lid on it to melt cheese.Serve. 2nd Lunch.....PB&J's,or grilled cheese with maybe bacon,tomato,lettuce. 3rd dinner....chicken stove top stuffing...steam chicken breast in pan.....cut up into medium size chunks..place in a oven safe pan...pour a can of cream of mushroom soup over chicken and also pour a can of whole corn ( drained ). Make the Chicken Stove top Stuffing according to the box directions.( i use 2 boxes ) Even out chicken,corn,soup mixing together, then distribute the cooked stuffing over the mixture. Place in oven for about 30-45 mins @ 350. Makes about 6-8 servings. Well just my :2cents:.........My finiky teenage daughter loves it. Good Luck Belle

onewhocares
Aug 1, 2008, 11:34 PM
Ok people....there is NO turning back now. My cookbooks are laminated and spiral bound. The Camp Cooks tee shirts are done. The van is packed, the food is bought. The Chili Throwdown score cards are printed. Good news is that my brothers friend is driving up a 30 foot camper for me to sleep in so I do not have to sleep with the 70 year old cook.....still think I should stop and by a French Maid's outfit to tease him. He will be glad not to room with me as I snore...ask Bree and Used Bear...they have had to listen to me even though I was in another room. I am bringing a bottle of vodka for my nerves at the end of the day ( Yes, I asked permission ).

SO with the final encouragement of those in the chat room tonight, especially Lady D and Cherokee Cat....I bid you all a so long for a week or so.

Belle