PDA

View Full Version : Some prayers

rissababynta
Jul 13, 2008, 1:02 AM
Some of you know about the recent problems we've been having with our three year old son. For about three weeks, he had excessive vomiting and diarrhea but did not have any kind of actual stomach flu. He was eating, drinking, and playing normally and the doctors were stumped. They did blood work, stool tests, x-rays and cat scans and nothing showed up in anything to show why this was happening. We found out the other night that he lost 5 pounds in a week and he was staring to go down hill.

Just as we are in the process of making a GI appointment for him, he got better. There was no warning to the sudden change. He hit a peak in his sickness the other night and the next morning he was miraculously bettter. There was no vomitting or diarrhea all day yesterday or today and today he ate more than he has in weeks. Even though I don't know if it is officially over,I felt so relieved, until I realized that as soon as this problem got better, he has suddenly acquired a horrible stutter that frustrates him to the point of tears. As the day went on today, he began slurring his words along with the stutter and many words that he used to say perfectly are coming out all jumbled and it is hard to understand him. We don't know if anything happened neurologically to him while he was sick, considering that we don't even know what the hell was going on to make him sick in the first place. In either case, we are now starting to look at new, possibly more serious problem now and we (especially me) are very scared.

I have grown to know, appreciate, and love all of you and I feel very close to the people on this site. I am not the type of person to request such things, but I would feel a lot better if my "family" started sending some prayers our way. It doesn't matter if you are christian, jewish, pagan, buddhist, WHATEVER...just please try to keep my little boy in mind. Please pray that we can find an answer to how to help him soon.

Thank you everyone.

FalconAngel
Jul 13, 2008, 2:45 AM
Some of you know about the recent problems we've been having with our three year old son. For about three weeks, he had excessive vomiting and diarrhea but did not have any kind of actual stomach flu. He was eating, drinking, and playing normally and the doctors were stumped. They did blood work, stool tests, x-rays and cat scans and nothing showed up in anything to show why this was happening. We found out the other night that he lost 5 pounds in a week and he was staring to go down hill.

Just as we are in the process of making a GI appointment for him, he got better. There was no warning to the sudden change. He hit a peak in his sickness the other night and the next morning he was miraculously bettter. There was no vomitting or diarrhea all day yesterday or today and today he ate more than he has in weeks. Even though I don't know if it is officially over,I felt so relieved, until I realized that as soon as this problem got better, he has suddenly acquired a horrible stutter that frustrates him to the point of tears. As the day went on today, he began slurring his words along with the stutter and many words that he used to say perfectly are coming out all jumbled and it is hard to understand him. We don't know if anything happened neurologically to him while he was sick, considering that we don't even know what the hell was going on to make him sick in the first place. In either case, we are now starting to look at new, possibly more serious problem now and we (especially me) are very scared.

I have grown to know, appreciate, and love all of you and I feel very close to the people on this site. I am not the type of person to request such things, but I would feel a lot better if my "family" started sending some prayers our way. It doesn't matter if you are christian, jewish, pagan, buddhist, WHATEVER...just please try to keep my little boy in mind. Please pray that we can find an answer to how to help him soon.

Thank you everyone.

With the latest development of the stutter and all, have you considered the possibility that it could be neurological rather than physiological?

Has he had a cat scan or other tests for anything like that?

onewhocares
Jul 13, 2008, 10:06 AM
Rissa,

Our thoughts, prayers and concerns are with you on this frustrating day. I know what it is like to have a child that is ill with no answer. I am not sure how close to Philadelphia you are, but the Children's Hospital of Philidelphia is a wonderful place. It is never easy to figure out what is going on, especially in these days of viruses in the body as well as blood. Know we are thinking of you.

Belle

Rambigent
Jul 13, 2008, 10:53 AM
Sending good thoughts your way for your little boy and the rest of your family in this difficult time. I pray he gets all better soon.

12voltman59
Jul 13, 2008, 2:24 PM
Good luck in finding our what ails your child---and in dealing with it.

You will be in my "prayers" for certain.

Gina7777
Jul 13, 2008, 2:46 PM
Chanting for your little boy. "Nam-myo-ho-renge-kyo".

Mrs.F
Jul 13, 2008, 3:11 PM
I love to watch that show on the Discovery channel called "Mystery Diagnosis"..I think :rolleyes:. Anyway, it's people who are dealing with what your going through. Sickness happens, it continues, you get stranger symptoms, you go to the dr. and they can't find a thing wrong and it's just a vicious circle until one day....ONE dr. really looks hard at all the symtoms and puts them together and comes up with the answer. Unfortunately our bodies do not just always give a one clue and we know the answer. A good children's hospital like Belle brought up might be a good idea. Your baby is only 3 and I know your scared. I would be also. I will pray and pray that you find the answer and the fix for it. You know your family here will support you and be your shoulder to lean on. Please take care of yourselves and your little one. :grouphug::angel::grouphug::angel:

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 13, 2008, 3:23 PM
Sweet Rissa...I will pray to God and the Spirits that your little one has a speedy recovery soon. Imagine the fear and frustration that is going on with Him, too. Continue to seek out a Neurologist or specialst as soon as you can. This is something that needs to be addressed ASAP.
Give him a healing long-distance Hug from me, please.. :}
Cat :grouphug:

MissyMissy
Jul 13, 2008, 5:07 PM
I wil pray for you all but get your son to someone that can be a bad sign. never let any doctor ignore your worries ok. if they do demand something be done.
missy

grayhound
Jul 13, 2008, 6:59 PM
I have placed you and your son on my daily prayer list. I have also asked a few of my friends to do the same.

Doggie_Wood
Jul 13, 2008, 7:10 PM
Rissababy - I have just read your post and prayed to Jesus Christ for comfort for you and your family as well as prayers to heal your son. Best of wishes and results.

With Love

:doggie:

**Peg**
Jul 13, 2008, 10:39 PM
I will pray for you son Rissa.....hope the sprite gets better fast.

>> tight hugs <<

**Peg**

BreeIsMe
Jul 13, 2008, 11:06 PM
I too will be praying for your son to recover completely. If it is meaningful, the recovery from his GI symptoms hopefully bodes well for full recovery from the neurologic ones. Sometimes viral infections have neurologic side effects that are almost always temporary. I will be praying that this too will suddenly dissappear!

Bree

:grouphug:

vittoria
Jul 14, 2008, 2:20 AM
Sending prayers and hugs to you in your time of distress!!

rissababynta
Jul 14, 2008, 2:56 AM
I am moved to tears to see how many of you are actually showing that you care right now. Thank you so much. It means so much to us.

Update: We've just come back from the hospital again because my son was complaining of an earache. There is no infection and it occured to me that for the past two days he's been complaining of various discomforts and pains ONLY on the right side of his body, including an occasional spasming right hand. The earache was in the right ear as well. I told the ER doctor and asked if there was any chance that the GI symptoms could have been due to something happening in his brain, and whatever it was it decided to start effecting his pain receptors on the right side of his body instead now. I also asked if it was possible that he had some kind of virus or infection that traveled to his nervous system or somewhere else to effect him in a neurological manner and he said that these were both possibilities and considering that he still has the stutter, he recommended calling his doctor in the morning (which was the plan anyway) and tell her we want an EEG done. This is the next step and hopefully we will get somewhere with this before anything else happens.

proseros
Jul 14, 2008, 3:56 AM

Indeed my prayers on behalf of you and your family that the lil' man find an easy and speedy recovery. I am not a doctor though for a three-year old with the symptoms you describe I'd say he is one tough kid.

What I'd like to ask rissa, is whether you've considered [a] there may be something in the immediate environment that might cause these kinds of symptoms (there are some mold strains that might cause these kinds of symptoms)? [b]There are not too many infections that affect children in such a non-specific way I can think of, but one in particular immediately comes to mind-If you don't mind me asking, have been any tests done for encephilitis?

kitten
Jul 14, 2008, 9:18 AM
prayers hugs and good wishes....

bigirl_inwv
Jul 14, 2008, 10:43 AM
I hope he gets better very very soon Rissa! I don't have children, so I can't imagine how terrifying it is to have your child so sick and nothing you can really do about it. My heart goes out to your whole family. You will be in my thoughts.

MissyMissy
Jul 14, 2008, 11:15 AM
also consider getting a spinal tap for menengitis if all else fails hun.
missy

darkeyes
Jul 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
not religious Riss.. but we hav 2 gorge little horrors we wudn trade for the world.. so thinkin ofya both an alla ya family an hope e gets betta soon... kissie 2 all X

still_shy
Jul 14, 2008, 12:45 PM
Rissa

I have a 7 year old daughter and I cannot imagine how terrifying it would be to go through those things. Hell, she had to go on allergy medicine a few weeks ago and I cried. I am sending you and your family many prayers for strength and recovery.
Also, I need to ask, has your son been forgetful or confused since the illness started? A friend of mine witnessed similar symptoms when her son became ill last year and no one could diagnose it. Finally, when she found a decent doctor, they were able to treat his sickness, but his came with vision upset and confusion, along with the stuttering and gastro problems.

texasman6172003
Jul 14, 2008, 6:22 PM
Hey Rissa,Well my thought's and prayer's certainly go out to you your wife and family. I and my wife lost a child to stillbirth back in 86. That was hard enough,i can't begin to imagine how hard losing your child would be. So my prayer's and thought's def go out to you and your wife.....

HighEnergy
Jul 14, 2008, 9:24 PM
My prayers are with you. Take that child to the hospital and DON'T leave until they can find something!

CalanderGirl
Jul 15, 2008, 12:08 AM
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers!!! Keep us updated if and when you have time!!! Just remember that nothing gets handed to you that you can't work through; even if it means a little blood sweat and tears!!! Hang in there!

rissababynta
Jul 15, 2008, 12:32 AM
My prayers are with you. Take that child to the hospital and DON'T leave until they can find something!

I told my husband that exact same thing, but then I realized how unrealistic it really was to do this lol.

To answer a few questions, many tests have definitely been done though I can't remember all of them at this time and there really haven't been any signs of vision problems or confusion. In fact, neurologically he does and act pretty good except for a few of these problems going on that we need to look into. Going to the doctor tomorrow though so, we'll see what she has to say.

Papelucho
Jul 15, 2008, 9:47 PM
Good luck,
And I agree to not stop until you know what it is.

bigirl_inwv
Jul 18, 2008, 8:30 PM
Any news Rissa?

onewhocares
Jul 19, 2008, 12:05 AM
I was thinking the same thing...any news rissa?

Bluebiyou
Jul 19, 2008, 2:44 AM
Similar thing happened to an old gf baby brother. She was a love child (parents were young) and her only sibling (brother) was a change of life child. He had diareaha and vomiting; fever... none of the 'right side' symptoms, though.
Turns out he had an impacted bowel. Doctor gave him some hard core laxative and out came a VERY smelly blockage (poo).
I'm not saying this is what your little one has, just a suggestion for investigation.

I agree with the others, any news?

rissababynta
Jul 19, 2008, 1:59 PM
Well, he's gotten much better. No diarrhea or vomitting for a while. All of the tests have shown absolutely nothing so the doctors don't know what happened or if it will start happening again. We took him to the ER because he was complaining of ear pain and the doctor told us there was no ear infection and when we took him to his pediatrician the next day, turns out that his hear was completely blocked by wax and you couldn't see if there was an infection in that particular ear and the ER doc was too damn lazy to look into the situation! Formal complaints are being made about this hospital and the doctors by the way...Anyway, his pediatrician thinks that a lot of the slurring has to do to the fact that he couldn't hear well because of the blockage, which happened to be on the right side. She has a feeling that a lot of his right side symptoms are being affected by this so, we're in the process of giving him antibiotics and drops for his ears to get them unclogged and we are just keeping an eye on him to make sure that this really is the problem.

As for the stutter, I told the doctor that I ddn't think it was dur to his ear and I thought that it might be some kind of nervous twitch that he started considering all of the late night hospital visits, tests, poking and prodding, bloodwork, feeling like total shit, and basically EVERYTHING this poor three year old has been through. She said that it could be associated with that as well so after his ears are cleared, if he still has this problem I'm going to take him to see a child psychologist, see what they have to say, and start the process of helping him get through this.

texasman6172003
Jul 19, 2008, 2:14 PM
Well Rissa,I hope things continue to improve hon. Still keepin y'all in my thoughts,and hopin for the best,no one likes to see a child suffer. Take care Hon.

still_shy
Jul 19, 2008, 5:28 PM
Rissa
I am hearing impaired and I wish that I had thought of that. I'm completely deaf in one ear and a lot of the symptoms that start out an ear infection I can't hear. When my good ear gets infected, (I am prone to those infections), I don't speak clearly because I can't hear myself. It makes perfect sense that he would be that ill from a blockage and infection. There are times when I will vomit for two weeks from one. If left unattended, a person can become violently ill from ear problems, as you well know. Thank God you found a good doctor who diagnosed and treated the problem. I hope he is well on the way to a full recovery. Please keep us posted.
Also, you might want to have his hearing checked when everything is cleared up. Bad ear infections can lead to mild or moderate hearing loss in the affected ear. I know you've probably been told this by the doc, but I'm a little anal when it comes to ear health. <sheepish grin>

onewhocares
Jul 19, 2008, 10:16 PM
Rissa,

Glad to hear that things are taking a change for the better. The ears, can in oh so many ways affect so many parts of the body. An unattended infection made my mom deaf in her right ear...do not let it go untreated.

Rambigent
Jul 19, 2008, 10:24 PM
Glad to hear that things are getting better, and hopefully the worst is behind you all.

Keeping your family in my thoughts...

rissababynta
Jul 19, 2008, 11:49 PM
Rissa
I am hearing impaired and I wish that I had thought of that. I'm completely deaf in one ear and a lot of the symptoms that start out an ear infection I can't hear. When my good ear gets infected, (I am prone to those infections), I don't speak clearly because I can't hear myself. It makes perfect sense that he would be that ill from a blockage and infection. There are times when I will vomit for two weeks from one. If left unattended, a person can become violently ill from ear problems, as you well know. Thank God you found a good doctor who diagnosed and treated the problem. I hope he is well on the way to a full recovery. Please keep us posted.
Also, you might want to have his hearing checked when everything is cleared up. Bad ear infections can lead to mild or moderate hearing loss in the affected ear. I know you've probably been told this by the doc, but I'm a little anal when it comes to ear health. <sheepish grin>

sorry to hear about your problems. I'm glad to hear that you still seem to be in good spirits though :-)

unfortunately, the ear infection is not what caused the GI problems before though...but good thought.

biguymass
Jul 22, 2008, 6:38 AM
Rissa,

Glad things are better and we are still praying for you & your family.

lonelygirlintx
Jul 22, 2008, 8:22 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your recent problem, I will keep your son and the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers. I truly hope that you can find some answers and get him the help he needs. I wish you luck.