PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Television shows

12voltman59
Dec 20, 2005, 11:00 AM
Well we do have a thread for favorite movies--I thought it might be fun to start a thread for favorite television shows.

While it will take me a number of posts to come up with even a sampling of my faves over the years--here is my initial list, they are not in any order--just what comes to mind:

"Hawaii Five-O", All of the Star Trek series and yes I did like "Enterprise" It took awhile for that show to find its legs and its worst problem that is was aired on UPN. Its best season was last year. Classic Trek does remain my fave and I also liked ST:TNG

"All in the Family," "MASH"; "Homocide: Life on the Street"; "Law and Order" (original). "CSI: Las Vegas"; "Lost"; "24";

"Evening Shade"; "Designing Women"; "LA Law" "St. Elsewhere" "Hill Street Blues" "NYPD Blue" "Everybody Loves Raymond"

"The Sopranos"

That is just a start for me--I look forward to seeing what everyone's faves are

Mrs.F
Dec 20, 2005, 12:06 PM
Good one!

My favorite shows are:

The Sopranos-HBO
Six Feet Under-HBO (my favorite of all time)
Carnival-HBO

Law & Order
Friends
Will and Grace
ER
The Apprentice ( I know, most people hate Trump, but I love the show)
Judging Amy
Scrubs

Older shows:
Golden Girls ( I know every show)
Designing Women
Brady Bunch
Dallas
Dynasty
Knots Landing

WillowTree
Dec 20, 2005, 1:32 PM
The L Word - love it, love it, love it!

My Name is Earl
Desperate Housewives
Will & Grace
CSI (all of them)
Without a Trace
Gray's Anatomy

likalotapuss
Dec 20, 2005, 2:05 PM
I hardly ever have time for TV, just ask those who know me.... but in a perfect world if I could plant my cute little ass in front of the box, I would have to say the following are my favorites:

Without A Trace
CSI- the one on Thursday
Law and Order:SVU
Grey's Anatomy
Cops.. hee hee
I like to watch the news too, it catches me up on everything I miss!!

~AngiePuss :bibounce:

csrakate
Dec 20, 2005, 4:00 PM
I don't have many shows that I watch right now, I tend to do other things instead of watch TV...one of which is sitting in front of the computer and chatting!!! The few shows that I do watch include:

Two and a Half Men
King of Queens
CSI-Miami
Boston Legal

I watch a lot of shows that run in reruns on cable:

NYPD Blue
Judging Amy
Chicago Hope

Many of my very favorite shows are older ones...some that still run occasionally on cable:

Designing Women - One of my all time favorite shows...I am one to quote Suzanne Sugarbaker on a regular basis!! Something about her sassy Southern attitude that seems to reflect mine! LOL!

Evening Shade - another Southern based show that had wonderful characters although some were rather stereotypical of some of our Southern eccentrics!

Frasier - I hated to see this one end!!! What a perfect ensemble cast!!!

Everybody Loves Raymond - What a family! What fun!!

St. Elsewhere - a very original hospital drama that reflected what our life was like at the time..my husband was a resident during this period and it mirrored so much of what he was going through.

Thirtysomething - another show that was close to home...being a thirtysomething myself at the time.

The Carol Burnett Show - I loved variety shows and I have always loved Carol Burnett. Loved her characters...loved the sketches..the Gone With the Wind parody, the mini-musicals at the end!!

Dallas - in it's heyday..during the Who Shot JR? period before the "dream Bobby" era...

MASH - I still remember the shock and tears after they killed off Colonel Henry Blake!

Saturday Night Live - during the early years...Belushi, Ackroyd, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain. "Jane, you ignorant slut!"

I'm sure there are many more but these are the ones that stand out. Fun thread voltman!!

Hugs,
Kate

nik76o
Dec 20, 2005, 4:37 PM
malcolm in the middle
family guy
earl
the office
arrested development--> cant believe it got cancelled!!!!! (pisses me off a bit thinkin about it...)
L-word
family guy
prison break

older shows:
married with children
buffy
seinfeld
twilight zone
amazin stories

Lorcan
Dec 21, 2005, 1:25 AM
I Love LOGO. http://www.logoonline.com
I loved Noah's Ark on LOGO.
Maybe i just love Noah. :tong:

Bob and Rose is good too.

sexy couple
Dec 21, 2005, 5:06 AM
Robot Chicken and Moral Orel on Adult Swim (Cartoon Network)
(OK, maybe I'm a little bias because my hubby is working on these shows - but they are great!) :bigrin:

HBO: Rome, Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Carnival, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Extras, HBO Documentaries, etc.

Survivor (Silly show but it's a guilty pleasure)

Monty Python's Flying Circus - reruns on BBC

Fawlty Towers and Absolutely Fabulous

Mad TV

MASH - One of our all time favorites. We love mountain biking in Malibu and he has located many of the locations where they used to shoot MASH. There's still a few military vehicles left there in the mountains!

m.in.heels&hose
Dec 22, 2005, 12:00 AM
wow,
again im going to be all over that place here
these are going to be in a random order and please remember i am still a big fan of the 70's (i was young and impressionable then) lol

welcome back kotter (5 friends of all differant races this was a great show to knock down barriers)

mash (i was in my mid teens when i learned to appreiciate this show)

sanford & son, the jeffersons and all in the family (all very controversial shows, but they made us laugh at our selves)

happy days (and i know im not alone on this one)

married with children (any one can relate to this show is some form or other)

dragnet (good plots, but not always the best acting)

are you being served (i am hard pressed to select a favorite, but it would have to be between ms. slowcumb, or mr. humphries)

benny hill (i am a guy after all) LOL

ok, im going to try for more recent stuff now

malcolm in the middle (very similar to my own family growing up)

less than perfect (we all seem to be the outsiders, and we all feel we can get the upper hand on things if we really try)

8 simple rules (again its the family life)

law and order (very similar to dragnet, except more modern and better acting)

bill dance outdoors (im a fisherman, what more can i say?)

american hotrod on discovery (i think) (i have always admired boyd coddingtons work, and its good to see even a well known custom car builder has nearly impossible deadlines to meet ) reminds me of my own work place

monster gargage (jesse james is the ultimate custom bike/car builder, he did it his way and all on his own)

i will be back later

m.in.heels&hose

arana
Dec 22, 2005, 8:52 AM
I go through television in spurts so I don't know if I have any all time favorites. I've watched most all that have been mentioned so far...(FOR: M.I.H.H.-Do you kiss your fish like Bill Dance? I like Chip Foose better than Boyd Coddington...and you should be watching Monster House if you're going to watch Monster Garage..lol)
Some other shows I liked to watch were/are: When I was younger, "Family Affair" (loved Buffy and Jody), Friday nights were "Brady Bunch" and "Partridge Family", "Here Come the Brides"(Had a crush on Bobby Sherman), "the Monkees", "Alias Smith and Jones", "Mork and Mindy","Ellery Queen", "Don Kirshners Rock Concert", "Midnight Special", "American Bandstand", "Soap", "McMillian & Wife", "Columbo", "Twin Peaks","The Cosby Show", "Rosanne", "Murder She Wrote", "Picket Fences", "X-Files", and more recently, "Amazing Race" (for the sites more than the race itself),"Friends", "Dead Like Me", "Six Feet Under", "CSI", "Law & Order", and a bunch of others I know I'm forgetting.

tom_uk
Dec 22, 2005, 11:05 AM
what else would anyone want to watch apart from little britain? i think for you usa people its rerun on bbc america on friday nights - not to be missed

nubiwoman
Dec 22, 2005, 5:34 PM
what else would anyone want to watch apart from little britain? i think for you usa people its rerun on bbc america on friday nights - not to be missed

yeah i know :tongue:

m.in.heels&hose
Dec 22, 2005, 9:21 PM
[QUOTE=arana][/COLOR]...(FOR: M.I.H.H.-Do you kiss your fish like Bill Dance? I like Chip Foose better than Boyd Coddington...and you should be watching Monster House if you're going to watch Monster Garage..lol)

yes arana i do kiss my fish but its jimmy houston whop kisses his fish and not bill dance

i usually kiss the first and last fish before i drop them back in the water and i will also kiss the big fish too lol

and as for monster hopuse, im not really as much into that as i am with things that have wheels and motors

wanderingrichard
Dec 22, 2005, 11:47 PM
i'm tempted to... awww hell with it; "which decade do we refer to on this ?"

usedbear1950
Dec 23, 2005, 1:28 AM
12volt, you're on a roll buddy.

The 50's:
Crusader Rabbit
Howdy Dowdy
Superman
The Lone Ranger
Roy Rodgers
The Cisco Kid
Sky King
Andy's Gang
Red Skelton..."Good night and God Bless."
I Love Lucy
Abbott & Costello
The Ed Sullivan Show
The Judy Garland Show
The Frank Sinatra Show
Dragnet

The 60's:
I'm Dickens, He's Fenster
Rowan & Martin's Laugh In
Flip Wilson
The Smothers Brothers
All In The Family
The Prisoner
McMillian & Wife
Columbo
Saturday Night Live
The Late Show (movie, not Letterman)
The Late Late Show (Ibid)
The Early Show
60 Minutes
The Twilight Zone
Soupy Sales

More to cum.

bigregory
Dec 23, 2005, 3:12 AM
Well to me all T.V. is pretty lame.
I do like some of the cooking shows.
Documentary type shows. History/nature etc.
M*A*S*H
Star trek- most of them.
Will &Grace!

rupertbare
Dec 23, 2005, 1:55 PM
Well, ok, here's a couple of fav.s - but as a Brit you may never of heard of them!!!??? lol!!!

Fawlty Towers
The Prisoner
Yes, Minister/Primeminister
Brittas Empire
Dinnerladies
Porridge
Ripping Yarns
M.A.S.H.
Friends
Desperate Housewives
Shameless :)

yeah - ok mainly comedy - but heck you gotta find a laugh where you can!!! lol!!

arana
Dec 23, 2005, 5:12 PM
Well, ok, here's a couple of fav.s - but as a Brit you may never of heard of them!!!??? lol!!!

Fawlty Towers

yeah - ok mainly comedy - but heck you gotta find a laugh where you can!!! lol!!

I love manuel

rupertbare
Dec 23, 2005, 8:12 PM
I can be sooooo stooooopid sometimes!!!

I almost forget "The Simpsons" absolutely adore the show!!

Rupe :)

wanderingrichard
Dec 24, 2005, 12:19 AM
okay here goes;
60's;
batman
green hornet
time tunnel
lost in space
discovery6xx
fireball xl5
stingray

70's
re runs (general stuff)

80's
1st year mtv and cnn

90's

oh , please

currently;
monk
farscape
firefly [ aka serenity]
spike tv/ horsepower tv's power block
war stories with ollie north
inside the actors studio

wanderingrichard
Dec 24, 2005, 12:22 AM
doh!
ammendum;
food networks' iron chef america, and good eats with alton brown..30 minute meals with rachel ray is ok too, she's a bit of a cutie

12voltman59
Dec 24, 2005, 2:56 PM
I must be getting slow in my increasing age--just as it took be a bit to remember a most favorite movie--it took me a bit to come up with what is perhaps my most favorite television program---that program was the multi-part documentary series done by Ken Burns for PBS back in the 1990s--the program was "Ken Burns: The Civil War."

On so many levels--he did a great job in detailing that horrendous event in American history. While it may not be absolutely definitive--nothing really could ever be such--it was done well.

The absolutely most powerful point came at the end of the first show---with the recurring theme song of the series, that mournful lament "Ashokan Farewell" (written for the series by Jay Unger), playing in the background, actor Paul Roebling gave voice to a letter written by a union officer, Sullivan Ballou, to his wife, Sarah just before Ballou was set to go off to war.

Ballou wrote a heartfelt letter to his wife Sarah about the pending battle he faced----what a wonderful writer.

Here is the last paragarph of that incredible letter:

"But O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the gladdest days and in the darkest nights...always, always, and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath, as the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by. Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again..."

Major Sullivan Ballou, of the 2nd Rhode Island
July 14, 1861 Camp Clark, Washington, DC

Sullivan died days later at the first battle of Bull Run....

I have watched that show many times and it still hits me the same way----

Fresia
Apr 8, 2015, 4:38 PM
Law and Order SVU

charles-smythe
Apr 8, 2015, 9:54 PM
12volt, you're on a roll buddy.

The 50's:
Crusader Rabbit
Howdy Dowdy
Superman
The Lone Ranger
Roy Rodgers
The Cisco Kid
Sky King
Andy's Gang
Red Skelton..."Good night and God Bless."
I Love Lucy
Abbott & Costello
The Ed Sullivan Show
The Judy Garland Show
The Frank Sinatra Show
Dragnet

The 60's:
I'm Dickens, He's Fenster
Rowan & Martin's Laugh In
Flip Wilson
The Smothers Brothers
All In The Family
The Prisoner
McMillian & Wife
Columbo
Saturday Night Live
The Late Show (movie, not Letterman)
The Late Late Show (Ibid)
The Early Show
60 Minutes
The Twilight Zone
Soupy Sales

More to cum....damn...did this list bring back memories...FYI: do you know who the Howdy dowdy puppet was patterned after...Arthur Godfrey the TV personality...walked with a cane...