View Full Version : RIP George Carlin

rissababynta
Jun 23, 2008, 2:01 AM
He was one of the best.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/&GT1=43001

bisexualinsocal
Jun 23, 2008, 2:09 AM
Huge news.

I'm conflicted about his death. He was a very angry, bitter old man. But he was also brilliant and insightful

The planet is fine... the PEOPLE are fucked!

Probably 10 years ago I would have said "Good riddance to bad rubbish". But now that the disease of age has afflicted me, I realize how precious life and people are. Even angry, bitter people.

A couple years ago he checked himself into rehab for "too much wine and pain killers" (read:addict) Angry people usually become addicts in some form or fashion. Be it sex, drugs, alcohol et al.

Death is not the time to be judgmental.

God bless you and keep you, you hippy, dippy weatherman.

George Carlin in his genius and madness

The Sanctity of Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Djohakx_FE&feature=related

katieboop
Jun 23, 2008, 3:20 AM
Did you post the youtube link for the message or the nasty comments going on now from religious zealots?

There was nothing bitter about Carlin. He was a realist, one of very few left.

Its terrible he's gone, hope his box is comfortable.

Iowabiguy
Jun 23, 2008, 7:30 AM
George Carlin was one of those comedians that define the seventies. Every one of my friends and I listened to his albums especially the one with the "Seven Words" on it. I think we memorized not only that but most of the other tracks on the album. He was our counter-culture hero.

BiJoe696
Jun 23, 2008, 8:09 AM
Only had the pleasure of seeing him once on stage in the early 80's. I thought he was one of the great ones. His routines will live on for long after we are all gone. Thanks for the thoughtful comments on the world amd making us laugh at ourselves.

:2cents:

jamieknyc
Jun 23, 2008, 9:38 AM
Carlin was well known to all lawyers as the man responsible for the vreation of the "seven dirty words" standard that governed TV and radio for many years. The key aprt of the infamous "Seven dirty words" routine from 1972 was as follows:

"There are 400,000 words in the English language and there are 7
of them you can't say on television. What a ratio that is.
399,993 to 7. They must really be bad. They'd have to be outrageous
to be seperated from a group that large. All of you over here,you 7,
Bad Words. That's what they told us they were, remember?
"That's a bad word!" No bad words, bad thoughts, bad intentions,
and words. You know the 7, don't you, that you can't say on television?
"Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, CockSucker, MotherFucker, and Tits"
Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that'll infect your soul,
curve your spine, and keep the country from winning the war.
"Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, CockSucker, MotherFucker, and Tits"

FalconAngel
Jun 23, 2008, 12:14 PM
A lot of people claim that he was angry and bitter, but I wonder if it was just that he was passionate about making a difference in his small way.

Carlin was a man with a message. It was "use some common sense for a change" during a time when common sense was becoming less and less common.

His method of delivering his message was comedy and angry satire.

Many people saw the anger and some saw the message. Still others saw both.

What each of us remember about him is how we will always see him. And whether we liked him or hated him, he will be missed by all.

Searchingfortwo
Jun 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
RIP George.

I sure would love to be at the party that him, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, and Mitch Hedberg are having right now.

vittoria
Jun 23, 2008, 2:36 PM
My hero.

My mentor.

A realist.

You get to know someone from afar for so many years its like losing the best friend you ever had--I always counted on him to put it ALL (and boy do i EVER mean ALL) in perspective...

Unabashed--unashamed--unphased--unparalleled.

Your pal and mine-- He will forever be my personal "Buddy Christ" (for all you Dogma-tics out there!)

Feels like my heart is broken :(

rissababynta
Jun 23, 2008, 4:51 PM
He had a wonderful way of being judgmental and extemely open minded at the same time. How can you not love that?

12voltman59
Jun 23, 2008, 5:11 PM
George Carlin was a comedic great----most of those of his generation are now gone--RIP George!

TaylorMade
Jun 23, 2008, 5:12 PM
He had a wonderful way of being judgmental and extemely open minded at the same time. How can you not love that?

Easily. If you're judgmental about what the audience agrees with, it's awesome. If you're not. . .well then, you may want to keep your day job. :p

*Taylor*

gfofbiguy
Jun 23, 2008, 7:23 PM
You will be missed...

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=8481659

Toad82
Jun 23, 2008, 7:26 PM
He was one of the greats. Now I regret not seeing him the last time I was in Vegas. But even more that I can't see him in a few months when I go.

RJ:lokai:

gfofbiguy
Jun 23, 2008, 7:28 PM
He was one of the greats. Now I regret not seeing him the last time I was in Vegas. But even more that I can't see him in a few months when I go.

Bisexualnewbie and I live in Vegas and both regret not seeing him when he was here at the Orleans last week......:(

Papelucho
Jun 23, 2008, 8:28 PM
Great Carlin bit about death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNHnoqPwas (video messes up at about 3:30.)

I'm sure he's in a garage in Buffalo by now...;)

Rambigent
Jun 23, 2008, 9:13 PM
Carlin is the first comedian I can remember really liking as a teen. I saw one of his HBO specials back in the late 80's, and although my friends and I were titillated at his filthy language (I remember one bit about getting his bush hair frosted), I also saw him as someone who had something interesting to convey in between the punch lines. I've come to enjoy a great number of comedians in the years since, but Carlin has always been one of my favorites. He will be missed.

chuck1124
Jun 23, 2008, 9:33 PM
I loved George Carlin. His album, "Class Clown" is a classic. Especially the 7 words you can't say on TV. But, like so many others, his humor become more bitter and caustic as he (and I) got older. Seems many of you thought the same. I loved him in the 70's and 80's. But later, he become so very vicious. Nonetheless, I miss him and will mourn him.

jem_is_bi
Jun 23, 2008, 10:10 PM
I loved his comedy. It was more than comedy.
I felt really sad when I heard he died.:(

Toad82
Jun 24, 2008, 2:03 AM
Bisexualnewbie and I live in Vegas and both regret not seeing him when he was here at the Orleans last week......:(

He was one of the performers I have wanted to see live for many years. As with most of my life I always put work and others before myself. I was so looking forward to seeing him in a few months. One more reminder that nothing besides true love is forever.

BothBi420
Jun 24, 2008, 12:05 PM
Had the great pleasure of seeing him preform a few years ago, will never forget it.

We will miss him

jamieknyc
Jun 24, 2008, 12:08 PM
Another thing to Carlin's credit was that he was, like myself, a native of the Morningside Heights section of Manhattan.

MarriedBooBoo
Jun 25, 2008, 5:17 PM
He was one of the best.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/&GT1=43001

Correction: He was THE best. Rest in peace George:(

FalconAngel
Jun 26, 2008, 11:28 AM
My hero.

My mentor.

A realist.

You get to know someone from afar for so many years its like losing the best friend you ever had--I always counted on him to put it ALL (and boy do i EVER mean ALL) in perspective...

Unabashed--unashamed--unphased--unparalleled.

Your pal and mine-- He will forever be my personal "Buddy Christ" (for all you Dogma-tics out there!)

Feels like my heart is broken :(

Fortunately, he is not really gone. He will live forever in video and film, continuing to spread common sense and wisdom wherever his performances are shown.

smltownbiguy
Jun 26, 2008, 6:38 PM
May he rest in peace... He was a favorite of mine. He was and will be one of the best.

proseros
Jun 28, 2008, 9:48 AM
Carlin and his humor will be missed. Rest in peace.

JamieNYC-Are you really sad that he died, or do you just want to brag that you live in NYC and that you live in Manhattan?

You can keep the high prices/rent, attitude, smog/pollution/traffic, and high stress that goes with NYC.

I'll take the laid back clean air, beautiful national parks and scenery, low cost of living, and the friendly people of upstate NY.

As the above not being the reason I am posting in this thread to begin with, except to mention in passing that I might not appreciate such a broad swipe at New Yorkers-considering much of what we "keep" is much of what is left behind by our Upper Valley Visitors. But then I only mention that in passing.

I did come in response to comments re: A presumed cynicism and bitterness pinned to Carlin; Something that was never evident to me and in which case we ought to lump together all the comedic effort of the time to elevate and educate America's point of view- The likes of Gallagher, Robin Williams, Nipsy Russell, Richard Pryor, Dick Gregory, and even Ray Stevens.

I wouldn't know either way that such comments are borne of either age and experience or familiarity with the time. Carlin's cynic humor is a testament to American apathy that is addressed by those who today would say that what we all giggled about then is not funny anymore [Bill Cooper, Paul Mooney, Michael Moore and Aaron Russo].

The joke, is still on us.

Rambigent
Jun 28, 2008, 11:12 PM
A little late, but just in case anyone reads this in the next half hour : NBC is re-running the first Saturday Night Live episode, which Mr. Carlin hosted, at 11:30 (EST) tonight.

BreeIsMe
Jun 29, 2008, 2:40 AM
in his heyday he was great...

RIP the Hippy Dippy Weatherman

Bree

**Peg**
Feb 5, 2009, 2:42 PM
my hero :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCR-w3AYOE

pure genius......and not because he remembered the whole bit,

but because he WAS the whole bit.

csrakate
Feb 5, 2009, 3:46 PM
I just watched a special on PBS last night with my mom....a tribute to George Carlin as they honored him with the Mark Twain award at the Kennedy Center. Was a wonderful tribute to him, highlighting all the great "bits" that made him so incredible. I was especially surprised at how much my 78 year old mother laughed at his routines....proof that his humor transcended the ages!!

alegrias
Feb 5, 2009, 11:44 PM
I just watched a special on PBS last night with my mom....a tribute to George Carlin as they honored him with the Mark Twain award at the Kennedy Center. Was a wonderful tribute to him, highlighting all the great "bits" that made him so incredible. I was especially surprised at how much my 78 year old mother laughed at his routines....proof that his humor transcended the ages!!

I saw that too. I always thought he was brilliant. I agreed with him 99% of the time and loved the humorous way he would get his points across. I mean, with the way he put it, you couldn't argue with him.

I still can't believe that he's gone. He was one of those people that I expected would live forever.