PDA

View Full Version : Key West travel

bicplPA
Dec 15, 2005, 10:38 AM
We'll be spending a long weekend in Key West in February. We're looking for ideas on where to hang out and have fun.

Whippersnap
Dec 24, 2005, 4:03 PM
I lived in Florida for five years and visited the Keys often. Key West is a tourist area but it can be fun. You should see the sunset on the pier, it is beautiful and do not forget to watch the people around you, it is the best show around. Most bars in Key West can be fun with some interesting people to keep you amused as you enjoy a cool drink.

"IF" you decide to enjoy an evening with another person or persons please remember that there are a lot of drugs in the Keys and a lot of "sharing" of needles and that goes for the sharing of STD's too.

Enjoy your trip but please be cautious.

12voltman59
Dec 24, 2005, 4:46 PM
If you go visit Key West, for bars--you do have to a least have a drink or two at Captain Tony's and Sloppy Joe's--they are sort of touristy but definitely worth a look. Of course, you have to hang out at Mallory Square to watch the sunset--this time of year you may want to have a light jacket or sweater on hand because once the sun goes down and the breeze comes up-it can get cool even if the temps got to the 80's during the day.

One thing you may want to consider doing--take a seaplane or see if there are boats going out to the Dry Tortugas--this time of year it will most likely be a rough ride if you go by boat. It is beautiful and remote out on these islands--the main point of interest is Fort Jefferson-an old brick fort that once served as a prison for the doctor who treated John Wilkes Booth from wounds he had suffered in the assination of Abraham Lincoln.

I haven't been down there for about ten years--so other I no longer know what are the coolest bars--but anyplace should be fun.

The water may be cool and not so clear this time of year-check with one of the dive shops--but if you have never done it--take a trip to snorkel or scuba, if you are qualified, on the reefs.

Have fun down there--if you like seafood--please try some conch...

Whippersnap
Dec 24, 2005, 7:26 PM
Good advice VOLTMAN. It has been 15 years since I was there and you hit the mark with the right places to see. I would also recommend, if it is still open, the "ETOSHA" ( hope I spelled it right ) display.

MikeW
Dec 25, 2005, 3:17 AM
The Garden of Eden is a clothing optional dance bar towards the north end of Duval Street. It's on the roof of another bar which the name of escapes me. Just ask, some one will point you to it.

nauticpl
Dec 26, 2005, 8:34 AM
We were just in KW lasy July...had a blast!. Stayed at a clothing optional guesthouse called The Pilothouse (very nice people).The clothing optional club called Garden of Eden was a great place to get naked, dance and get body painted, It is above the bar Bull and Whistle on Duval st. There is much to do and much to see, the snorkeling is great and the water is beautiful however, if you're looking to just lounge on a tropical beach...you'll be dissappointed.

dtindh
Dec 27, 2005, 4:11 PM
The Garden of Eden is on Caroline and Duval. There is also a clothing optional beach/pool deck at the Atlantic Shores Hotel. There are couples of all kinds there. Both places are quite enjoyable if you would like to get nekkid.

bicplPA
Dec 28, 2005, 9:30 AM
Thanks everyone, for all the info and advice. I've heard that the Red Rooster is a place couples go and get a little wild...has anyone been there?

DareMe
Dec 28, 2005, 11:10 AM
I have never been at the red rooster. But I have been to KW often for Xmas and New year. It is very wild.

You want to walk up down Duval street at least once. Duval is where all the bars are. I blieve someone mentioned Fort Jefferson. It is the only place that has a beach where you can actually bring your towel and ly down.

I don't recommend renting a car...useless. You can rent a bike or if you are adventurous rent a scooter.

Enjoy and play safe. I f I were there I would gladly show you around.

DM