PDA

View Full Version : Pan, and his apparent influence amongst fellow bis

Bi_Druid
May 8, 2008, 7:51 PM
This is just a random observation really, so feel free to choose to totally ignore this. If this post proves only of any interest to myself then thats cool.

Just, looking at peoples web names and/or avatars, there's a lot of Pan/faun/satyr images floating about

I just find it a bit coincidently odd, as my main avatar for a long while on a lot of my other online profiles was a satyr-esc pic of myself under a Linden Tree in Glastonbury back during the 2007 Summer Solstice (I've used it on my Bi Cupid, my Gaydar and for a long time on my Facebook and Windows Live Space. I even use it as a 'fail-safe' costume for parties, as I'm told I suit the image so naturally). Amongst users of another site I frequent I've been nicknamed Mr. Tumnus or Pan or other such relevant names.

The curious factor is that I adopted, or it adopted me, the satyr imagery long before stumbling across this site only very recently.

Just a curious observation that many other bi fellows out there should appear to independently find some affinity with the satyr imagery.

What do you guys think?

eddy10
May 8, 2008, 10:21 PM
I used to post actual photos of myself on various sites. The reaction to those have been a mixed blessing. I even left this site once due to some insulting comments regarding my photos. So, now I usually start out by using Socrates, since I am a bit of a philosopher. And, as I recall Socrates was either gay or bi.

BiphobiaFighter
May 8, 2008, 10:59 PM
Some Pan references might be because of the prefix in the word "pansexual". Pansexuality and bisexuality are often grouped together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality

TaylorMade
May 8, 2008, 11:47 PM
I admit my inspirations are more Roman. . .

http://www.timboucher.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/rubens_st_sebastian.jpg

St. Sebastian.

*Taylor*

DiamondDog
May 9, 2008, 12:59 AM
When I think Satyrs or Pan, I think of only the radical faeries/other types of homosexual men having sex together in the woods, hands down.

I use a Satyr as my icon because I like the artwork and I relate to certain homosexual men very well.

Of course I don't believe in Paganism/Wicca/Druidism, or anything like that at all.

Bluebiyou
May 9, 2008, 1:22 AM
I admit my inspirations are more Roman. . .

St. Sebastian.

*Taylor*

Ow, ouch, owweei! Ooh, ow, yow...
Martyrdom sucks!

*pan*
May 9, 2008, 1:01 PM
Hmmm, as i have chosen the name pan to use i felt compelled to reply to this thread. i am also a druid of the o.b.o.d. and studying celtec witchcraft, the reasons i chose pan or it chose me are numerious. my girl friend a witch of 9 years actually told me i was the essence of pan, and after 3 years still says it. she told me she knew him spiritualy and with my reaserch of him i realized he fit me to a tee, he has all the weaknesses and all the strengths of man, he was bisexual as i am and a lot of the other gods were too, unlike the other gods he died as one day i will. he is said to be a lesser god so in taking his name i don't feel i am putting my self higher then some who take the names of great and powerful gods for i am just a man in search of truth with a love for life. i have chosen this name as my craft name also and and if you look it up on the o.b.o.d. web site you'll find it's me the only pan in there, considering the site is celtec in nature and pan is of the greek pantheon i didn't find this unusual. i try and live up to it lol. to me it's more then a name of a being, he is my patron god. and i can feel him within me, what ever reason others use his name is of their own bussiness. if you would like to elaborate on this further feel free to contact me. peace and blessings be with you always >pan /|\

diB4u
May 9, 2008, 2:34 PM
Some Pan references might be because of the prefix in the word "pansexual". Pansexuality and bisexuality are often grouped together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality

I agree, sometimes a persons sexuality can not be defined by saying bi, gay or straight...

I'm pansexual/omnisexual...

My icon repersents that althought im a huge horror and science fiction fan, the character of Anita Blake has regular Ménage Ã* trois of both actuarl sexual behaviour and of power exchange....

Also the character participates in group sleeping (not sex), and is a strong character...

This kinda represents what I like and bellieve in.
:2cents::tongue:

Papelucho
May 9, 2008, 5:57 PM
I've always been a fan of the greek god Hermes, who could travel between worlds. The messenger of the gods, he rules over boundaries - going freely between the underworld, the Earth, and the world of the gods. Herma means a point of crossing over.

Also, in a lot of stories he's Pan's father, as well as the father of Hermaphroditus (no explanation needed there).

DiamondDog
May 9, 2008, 7:41 PM
I agree, sometimes a persons sexuality can not be defined by saying bi, gay or straight...

I'm pansexual/omnisexual...

My icon repersents that althought im a huge horror and science fiction fan, the character of Anita Blake has regular Ménage Ã* trois of both actuarl sexual behaviour and of power exchange....

Also the character participates in group sleeping (not sex), and is a strong character...

This kinda represents what I like and bellieve in.
:2cents::tongue:

I've been told that pansexual would describe me but I don't like using it as a label.

Omnisexual just reminds me of someone who will just fuck any orifice/hole that's available anytime from anyone/anything! :eek:

*pan*
May 9, 2008, 7:48 PM
[QUOTE=DiamondDog;102180]I've been told that pansexual would describe me but I don't like using it as a label.

i also agree, i hate lables but pansexual would discribe me better but then next year there will just be another lable for me and so on lol

CelticHero
May 11, 2008, 5:16 PM
Having been Bi and an outdoorsman all my life my fondness for the god Pan just comes to me naturaly.

Bi_Druid
May 11, 2008, 8:21 PM
wow
I honestly didn't expect quite this much feed back on the subject, or as varied a discussion. I'm oddly quite chuffed.

Although I was always fascinated by the Ancient Greek Myths as a child, long before I knew about how openly multi-sexual they really all were, I was not really aware much of satyrs, or even Pan, til much later in life quite some time after I'd come to terms with my own sexual orientation.

How the whole satyr/faun/Pan image seemed to adopt me is something of a rather bland story really. It was the result of a random conversation I was having with a friend of mine we had nicknamed 'Goblin'. I had discussed with him how we had come to know many people in our various circles of friends with Fae nicknames or affinities (we knew obviously the Goblin, as well as a Fraggle, several Pixies, and a Witch's Cat, to name but a few), and so I asked him what fae he'd most associate me with.
His almost instant answer was satyr, which I looked up on google, and after checking off the various attributes, realised that they were an awful lot like me.
Like I say, a bit of a bland story my end. But I am fascinated at the majority of other Bi men (mostly) who seem to have independently identified with this image.
Perhaps this could be our secret ID symbol or something, so we can find one another amongst the otherwise ambiguous masses. Or perhaps a lil satyr mascot carrying a purple flag, or purple rainbowed pipes?:flag4::devil::flag3:

TaylorMade
May 11, 2008, 9:57 PM
Ow, ouch, owweei! Ooh, ow, yow...
Martyrdom sucks!

He's my Icon... b/c I feel alot like him. I want to be loyal to the way things are, but I can't totally make it work.

I've been shot through, but I don't have the good sense to die.

*Taylor*

DiamondDog
May 11, 2008, 10:03 PM
I don't like to use pansexual because it reminds me of the time I met this guy who said that he was really "pansexual" yet all he talked about when I asked him about himself were either women he had slept with, women who he wanted to sleep with, or women he was trying to sleep with or have relationships with.

grizzle45
May 12, 2008, 12:45 AM
I began to associate with Pan and satyrs as well as Dionysius about my second year of college. I was coming out as bisexual but also coming out as sexual and coming out as "me". I was starting to explore and these deities are associated with decadence and indulgence, with sensuality and hedonism, not just sexually but in terms of food, wine, etc. I think there is a general understanding that Satyrs are pansexual/bisexual. It seems the connotations were there already. I think this is a reason they might show up among bisexual men.
Pan, and satyrs, also have the hairy, gruff look, something for us bear types. :flag3::2cents::bigrin: :flag3:

Bi_Druid
May 23, 2008, 12:48 PM
OK, I've tried to post it up here as a post, but can't work out the coding stuff.

however, if you look through the pictures on my profile, you will find up loaded in there version 1 of the BI Pride Satyr that I'd been working on.

It was originally sketched out in humble HB, then scanned in and tidied up some and coloured in using Adobe photoshop. It still needs the odd tweak, but essentially it gives you a good idea of what I've been working on.

Also working on designing a Bi Pride a female nymph/dryad counterpart as well.

Bi_Druid
May 23, 2008, 12:50 PM
http://main.bisexual.com/forum/pictures/81724/image_2a1615cf.jpg

hang on, I think I may be able to do it like this now I have it somewhere on the web...here goes nothing...

(feel free to check via my profile is this doesn't work or even if you fancy it)