PDA

View Full Version : How does a bi make accepting friends?

becca41980
Apr 24, 2008, 9:14 AM
I am a mom of 3 in a conservative town. My bisexuality is very much a part of me and I am open about it. But, I have a hard time making friends that accept and understand the way I choose to live.

My inquiry is: how do I find and make friends with other females that are similar to me? I find that I don't make good friends with perfectly straight girls because they just don't get me.

Does anyone else have trouble with friends?

Thanks.

carolina boy
Apr 24, 2008, 4:18 PM
I am a mom of 3 in a conservative town. My bisexuality is very much a part of me and I am open about it. But, I have a hard time making friends that accept and understand the way I choose to live.

My inquiry is: how do I find and make friends with other females that are similar to me? I find that I don't make good friends with perfectly straight girls because they just don't get me.

Does anyone else have trouble with friends?

Thanks.

I tell what I consider to be friends about my sexuality openly, if they have any problem then are they a friend anyway? Then again maybe thats why I have so few friends. Embrace who and what you are.

redheadhoneycat
Apr 24, 2008, 6:28 PM
Most of my friends are guys so hmmm....some women are catty and not very nice I think.Please don't bash me this is just my experience I certainly don't mean all women! That's not really why most of my friends are guy it's mostly because I would rather go drink beer and shoot pool, or play softball and check out hot women than go shopping. Also, my male friends ( mostly firemen and cops) can keep secrets where my few female friends are more likely to tell each other which is annoying to me. Why not join yoga class or some other interactive class where you can connect with women. Or what about helping with a charity....or maybe a GLBT support group so you can extend your group of people you are around so you can feel more connected. :bipride:

redheadhoneycat
Apr 24, 2008, 6:29 PM
I tell what I consider to be friends about my sexuality openly, if they have any problem then are they a friend anyway? Then again maybe thats why I have so few friends. Embrace who and what you are.

I totally agree!

shameless agitator
Apr 24, 2008, 9:48 PM
I'm just really out. I work my orientation into conversation pretty soon after meeting people so that if they have a problem with it I don't waste my time on them.

jem_is_bi
Apr 24, 2008, 10:50 PM
I do not have a problem with rejection by friends, because I do not discuss my sexuality with friends that would never be able to cope with the knowledge of me. Also, I only worry about rejection from my family. Should I do it differently? Maybe. But, I am happy with the way it is.
However, I can empathize with you about the lack of acceptance. In a conservative town (I imagine it being somewhere near Grand Rapids), or anywhere in Michigan, you will have an acceptance problem. The State constitution was changed because of anti-same-sex bias. But, you will still be able to have some friends and you have your family. That is a great basis for happiness.

Bluebiyou
Apr 24, 2008, 10:55 PM
...But, I have a hard time making friends that accept and understand the way I choose to live.
I find that I don't make good friends with perfectly straight girls because they just don't get me.

All of us do. The same is true of love. Either someone loves you (as friend or lover) or they don't.
One thing is certain... you or I will never know who are our friends until we know they love/accept us as-is. Vice versa.

This certainly is tougher in smaller community with high conformity unless someone of high social standing loves/accepts us - and our 'difference' is only that... a small 'difference'.
Good luck and best wishes!

cabooseme2
Apr 25, 2008, 8:55 AM
Well Ill put my 2 cents in not much but: I have only come out to a few of my friends back home in Wis but since i have moved to Michigan i have yet to develop any meaning full relations with any one so far and i am not out at work except i may have a couple close friends there that suspect just as i suspect them also just never had a chance to open up to them in that matter with them.

runewlf
Apr 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
Making friends in a conservative town can be difficult if they know you are bi. Remember this, if they are not wanting to be a friend because of your orientation, then you probably do not really want them as friends.

BI BOYTOY
Apr 27, 2008, 10:31 AM
i have no idea im sorry cant help. i only have one freind left. and he is gay. so find accepting people is not my strong point.

welickit
Apr 27, 2008, 11:21 AM
We found that the local gay pride was a fantastic place to make friends that are accepting. At this point almost all of our friends are gay, lesbian or bisexual.

Biboz49
Apr 27, 2008, 12:39 PM
...... Why not join yoga class or some other interactive class where you can connect with women. Or what about helping with a charity....or maybe a GLBT support group so you can extend your group of people you are around so you can feel more connected. :bipride:

Good advise redheadhoneycat, join a LGBT group. There's lots of LGBT social groups in many cities that organize weekend activities that would help you meet women who are just like you.