PDA

View Full Version : What does your voice sound like (I like to know when I read your posts)?

BronzeBobby
Mar 28, 2008, 7:41 PM
I have been enjoying the forums, but I was wondering if some people could share what they sound like. I like to imagine the voice behind people's writings.

Do you have an accent?
Do you have a low voice?
A rasp?
Do you talk quickly?

I can start it off: I have a slight Spanish accent. My voice is baritone, and I tend to speak really quickly (I'm a New Yorker).

ambi53mm
Mar 28, 2008, 8:33 PM
My voice seems to run in the lower range as well.. not bass but an octave higher maybe...I had a friend from Georgia who insisted that I had an accent...when I pressed him to decribe what sort of accent I had his reply was: A Yankee :rolleyes:....hmmm anyway...I'm from Maryland so I have an Maryland accent...and we pronouce it Marelan in my ole neck of the woods.

Ambi:)

Long Duck Dong
Mar 29, 2008, 12:14 AM
lol my voice.... medium deep with a scottish brogue

I tend to roll my R's...so something like per becomes purr....

often, i have laughter and smiling when i talk and a lot of the mischief in my words is lost in my posts......

if it was possible to add emotion to posts, then people would realise that a lot of what I write is not as serious or * angry * as it appears,.... its actually written with a lot of laughter, humour and a dash or two of sarcasism

FalconAngel
Mar 29, 2008, 12:27 AM
Medium high with a mid-western accent, slight southern when exited; or (depending on the character that I am playing) with a Scottish brogue, german accent or English accent when I am at Renn faire.

Wife has a northeastern (Maryland) accent.

The Barefoot Contess
Mar 29, 2008, 12:29 AM
Hey, we share the Spanish accent! People say I have gotten to the point where they can barely hear it, though:) I have been living in the US for five years.
My voice is low as well, and I tend to speak fast, although speaking in a language other than your native one slows you down.

Doggie_Wood
Mar 29, 2008, 1:08 AM
Mine is a medium deep voice. depending on who I am talking to and my mood, it can range from a Texas drawl to a mixture of southern/southwestern dialects. And I do not speak fast - after all, I am a Texan (Born and Bread).
Ya'll come back now , ya hear? :cowboy:

:doggie:

TaylorMade
Mar 29, 2008, 1:13 AM
I sound nothing like what I look like - - I think it's best that others describe the way I sound than I do it myself.

*Taylor*

csrakate
Mar 29, 2008, 1:14 AM
Well...having lived my life in South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia, you can be rest assured that I have a Southern accent. I tend to "drawl"...meaning I tend to drag out individual words but the speed at which I say these words can be rather fast at times. My voice might be considered low...but gets a tad bit higher when I am nervous or uncomfortable. It can be loud (fancy that), if I am having a good time and laughing a lot. During my tenure in Memphis, TN, I acquired the nasty habit of saying "fixin' to go"...a habit that returns every now and then....and after having lived in Augusta for 20 years, I tend to begin many sentences with "You know whuuuuuuut???"(translation: what) And thanks to living my entire, almost fifty year life in the South, I say yehawwlllll a lot!!!!!(translation: y'all)

Hugs,
Kate

mn freak
Mar 29, 2008, 1:27 AM
you can hear my voice anytime, I host a weekly radioshow.

wutheringheights
Mar 29, 2008, 7:53 AM
As I've indicated in my profile, I have a slight speech impediment which comes across as a marginally noticeable lisp. I'm from Australian but I've known a number of people here who think I have a vaguely American accent (go figure). I put the oddness of my accent down to the diversity of my ethnic background.

diB4u
Mar 29, 2008, 8:18 AM
Mine is a medium deep voice. depending on who I am talking to and my mood, it can range from a Texas drawl to a mixture of southern/southwestern dialects. And I do not speak fast - after all, I am a Texan (Born and Bread).

Aww gaud Doggie i love Texan accent.. Love Cowboys and all that free running testostrone... Cough

Ok, ok my voice.... Well now I could tell you all that is pleasent on the tongue like a cool drink being consumed on a hot smoldering day, the way the ice reaches that spot, how ice makes a person shiver....

(Ah but did you all like the mental clip though eh?)

My voice, for the unlucky ones who has to hear it lol- it well sounds common londoner accent. Sometimes though for its own reason my accent can change... When I'm stressed it turns into a west indian woman...

On the phone my voice appears professional and soft.- even though thirty seconds ago I mightve been saying to a co-worker, "answering the phone on my lunch break... give me a--"

Bluebiyou
Mar 29, 2008, 9:11 AM
I agree completely with Kate.
My mother was an english language NAZI. While growing up, if I used the word "ain't" in a sentance, I received a slap across my face. My diction, vocabulary and grammar were par excellence! I moved to the 'south' in my adult life and realized the southern drawl is the dialect with the most character in the usa. I regard my old speech as sterile.
There are certain usa southern dialects that sound better than others. My favorite is the New Orleans (pronounced 'Nawlins') pronunciation of 'Sur' ... as in "Yes Sur, I very much enjoyed sharin' a sweet tea on y'alls front porch."
My ideal southern accent/dialect would be the holywood presentation of Doc Holiday via Val Kilmer's performance in Tombstone.

My favorite english accent is Irish english... followed by Scottish english. They seem to 'sing' the most beautiful stream of words in simply talking. An Irish woman could curse me and I'd still fall in love with the sound of her voice.

Yet forgive mea, I do die gress.
My voice is a little higher, still a tenor, and between midwest usa perfect (mandatory 'a' twang) and Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday.

MarieDelta
Mar 29, 2008, 10:08 AM

Oh I love your voice Doggie, very much!

I 'm not in love with my own voice.

I dont know if I have an accent, probably not. Its just a bit too deep at times form me. But I dont want to force it into higher ranges and end up sounding weird either.

Everyone who has talked to me could probably tel you more about myvoice than I could.

:)

MarieDelta
Mar 29, 2008, 10:11 AM
I sound nothing like what I look like - - I think it's best that others describe the way I sound than I do it myself.

*Taylor*

You dont have an accent. But you do have a bright bubly spirit in your voice that comes through.

Reminds me of a girl I was friends with in HS and College. Well spoken , very intelligent.

jennessex
Mar 29, 2008, 10:23 AM
I have been told my voice would be beautiful for singing, now if they only heard me sing, lol. I have a mixture of yankee and rebel speech so to speak... When I get angry and my blood boils, that's when the rebel comes out. I still slip and say Y'all, but normally... I just think i have a sweet voice :tong:

Jennessex

HighEnergy
Mar 29, 2008, 11:41 AM
I have a deeper tone than usual for a woman. I've got that I'm from the midwest, therefore there is no accent thing going. :rolleyes: But my mother is from England and my father's family is from Kentucky or Tennessee. Both sides of my family accuse me of talking funny as I can go either way, slipping both "bloody hell" and "y'all" into my language at will.

I can also get the attention of most folks by hardly raising and deepening my voice and speaking very clearly. It's known as the voice that strikes terror into small children and large dogs. My priest says it can make even 50 year old bald men with gray in their beards stop dead in their tracks. Muahaahaa.

Skater Boy
Mar 29, 2008, 12:29 PM
My voice is fairly average pitched for a caucasian male, but lowers somewhat when I'm very relaxed, and raises somewhat when I'm under duress. I'd say that I have a "standard" English accent... not working class, but not quite middle class (although I have been accused of the latter). I tend to avoid colloquialisms where possible too.

12voltman59
Mar 29, 2008, 12:45 PM
My voice is pretty deep----since I live in the southwestern part of Ohio--we have that midwest accent--and yes HighEnergy---we midwesterners do have various accents, but ours in this region is twinged with a very southern accent due to the fact that we are very close to Appalachia--just a few counties from here begins the one quarter to one third portion of the state of Ohio that is officially an Appalachian region and we have many folks who hail from those regions in states like Kentucky, West Virginia and Tennessee---I have also lived in various places in the south over the years, so I do have a bit of the deep south coastal accent that crops up---but sometimes that is not at pronounced at all and at others it is----

Had I stayed in Savannah since my high school days---I have no doubt that I would sound very much as if I had always been there----but since I have been back north---I have more of the midwestern, nasally sound---but not nothing at all like what they have in places like Chicago, Wisconsin and other places in that region.

To my friends from Savannah-- these days I sound pretty much like "a Yankee" to them---but if I were to move back--in a year or so---it'd be like I was a native again---I just tend to assume the manner of speech of where I am at---it's not really something I purposefully do---it just sort of happens naturally of its own accord.

BronzeBobby
Mar 29, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have a deeper tone than usual for a woman. I've got that I'm from the midwest, therefore there is no accent thing going. :rolleyes:

Oh my Gawd, when I hear Midwesterners talk they SOOOOO have an accent, at least in my ears. That flaaaat way of saying the long A's, like the way people in Chicago talk about "salad" and it sounds lke "sailor", or when they say "stalk" and it sounds like "stock". Hehehehe,

TaylorMade
Mar 29, 2008, 12:55 PM
You dont have an accent. But you do have a bright bubly spirit in your voice that comes through.

Reminds me of a girl I was friends with in HS and College. Well spoken , very intelligent.

Aw, Thanks. . .

Marie...well,she sounds very soft and sort of vulnerable. . .like you can hear the female emerging in her voice, while whatever deeper registers are there are simply vestigial.

It's sort of motherly too. . .but I say that about many Transgurls I've talked to.

*Taylor*

12voltman59
Mar 29, 2008, 2:23 PM
Here is something interesting relating to speech patterns, dialects and accents:

http://www.pbs.org/speak/

This is information from a program done by Robert McNeil--one of the former co-hosts of the PBS-TV news program--"The McNeil/Lehrer Report" that he did on the many forms of "American English"--sorry that this cuts out those of our fellow speakers of our mother tongue from other places---

They don't have streaming video of the show any longer--you can buy DVDs of the program though--it was very interesting.

What I find interesting is how linguists have mapped the variations in the way people speak in the United States based upon regions.

Take some time and go to that site above and navigate through the various topics--I find it interesting and enlightening.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 29, 2008, 3:32 PM
My voice is low and warm, and I am Told it's sultry and smooth. I Do have a slight Southern accent along with it, being raised in Miss. and Ark.
I am told I'd make a good phone sex operator...lol
(Tex, put your tongue back in your mouth, Babe) lol
Cat:tong:

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 29, 2008, 3:36 PM
LOL After reading all these, its a good thing I dont Have a phone at the moment, or I'd be sorely tempted to make a few obscene phone calls..lol
Have a grat day, Ya'll.
Your Cat:tong:

diB4u
Mar 29, 2008, 4:20 PM
Oh I love your voice Doggie, very much!

I 'm not in love with my own voice.

I dont know if I have an accent, probably not. Its just a bit too deep at times form me. But I dont want to force it into higher ranges and end up sounding weird either.

Everyone who has talked to me could probably tel you more about myvoice than I could.

But M you have a lovey voice, very soft spoken. I like it... But then lol im biased...

LOl that is rather spooky cause i was actuarly going to say that about everyone who has spoken to me could tell you more of my voice than I... But i didnt put it up.

Damn.

:2cents:

Stargazer1417
Mar 29, 2008, 8:08 PM
lol my voice.... medium deep with a scottish brogue

I tend to roll my R's...so something like per becomes purr....

often, i have laughter and smiling when i talk and a lot of the mischief in my words is lost in my posts......

if it was possible to add emotion to posts, then people would realise that a lot of what I write is not as serious or * angry * as it appears,.... its actually written with a lot of laughter, humour and a dash or two of sarcasism

This may sound odd... but your voice sounds hot as hell. :bigrin:

Stargazer1417
Mar 29, 2008, 8:11 PM
My voice is a little on the high side, in my opinion, though friends tell me its not irritatingly so.

As much as a person can have a mid-western accent, I've got one. I speak very quickly when I'm excited or angry, swear a lot in normal conversation, and my voice gets higher and higher the more pissed off I get.

I'm not sure how any of that adds up to a sexy voice, but people who call my office and therefore only hear my voice, have often told me it is very sexy and pleasant. For what its worth...

Stargazer1417
Mar 29, 2008, 8:13 PM
Oh my Gawd, when I hear Midwesterners talk they SOOOOO have an accent, at least in my ears. That flaaaat way of saying the long A's, like the way people in Chicago talk about "salad" and it sounds lke "sailor", or when they say "stalk" and it sounds like "stock". Hehehehe,

Its odd... being from the midwest, I grew up thinking we were the only people on the planet who don't have accents. ;)

Lorcan
Mar 29, 2008, 9:36 PM
2nd alto (always wanted to be a tenor, but alas, no) talk slowly, tersely (like I type) And with a speach impediment because of a stroke I had. Never was much of a talker, but the stroke changed my whole way of thinking and therefore speaking.

BronzeBobby
Mar 30, 2008, 9:58 PM
I've heard quite a bit about the British tendency to differentiate people's social class by how they talk. Interesting. I wonder if we Americans do the same thing without realizing it. Is there an American "working class" accent or "middle class" accent?

My voice is fairly average pitched for a caucasian male, but lowers somewhat when I'm very relaxed, and raises somewhat when I'm under duress. I'd say that I have a "standard" English accent... not working class, but not quite middle class (although I have been accused of the latter). I tend to avoid colloquialisms where possible too.

pasco_lol_cpl
Mar 30, 2008, 10:30 PM
Very deep and some what confusing. My family from New York says I sound like a southerner. People down here say they can pick up my NY accent from a mile away.

12voltman59
Mar 31, 2008, 6:56 PM
I've heard quite a bit about the British tendency to differentiate people's social class by how they talk. Interesting. I wonder if we Americans do the same thing without realizing it. Is there an American "working class" accent or "middle class" accent?

We may not like to think it so--but we do have a very real difference in classes--at least in manner of speech if not other factors from those at the higher end of society to those in the middle or towards the bottom.

Many such examples abound such as the manner of speech of well known historical "particians" like Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the past and more recently, the now late William Buckley.

You go hang out in places like Newport, Rhode Island or Martha's Vineyard in Mass and listen to the speech of those who come off the big motor and sailing yachts and those who have to work on the docks and fishing boats--a major difference there.

Go to a place like Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, SC and find those who are "old Savannahians or Charlestonians" as opposed to those who have their roots from the inland parts of those states and are more "working class." Another major difference.

In Savannah/Chatham county--you can tell a difference from those who live in certain wealthy sections of the "islands" in eastern Chatham county and then go drive to the little towns like Pooler and Port Wentworth in the western part of Chatham county--and you if your ear is well tuned to it--you can tell a difference again.

For those familiar with TV cook, Paula Deen--she may hail from Savannah now--but her accent is very much indicative of the fact she came from SW Georgia down near Albany (pronounced All--bayneee) and is certainly not a native Savannahian.

Another example---the difference of the way people speak in Kentucky who are of the wealthy "horsey set" in central and western Kentucky and those who did things like being barely able to eeke out a living mining coal and who live in places like Harlan County or otherwise in the Big Sandy River Valley down in eastern Kentucky.