PDA

View Full Version : Kinda cool---Kinda creepy!!!

12voltman59
Mar 24, 2008, 11:17 AM
In the last few days I have been running into videos people have been posting in their blogs and elsewhere on the "BigDog Robot."

I find it both cool and creepy all at the same time. It is something--in all of the videos Boston Dynamics has made of their invention--they kick it and while it almost falls down---it is able to self-right itself---the company has developed this machine on contract for the US military's DARPA program.

Here is a link to the section on YouTube with some of the vids making the rounds on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpBG-nSRcrQ

vittoria
Mar 24, 2008, 12:09 PM
dOOd.....:eek:

alaskacouple
Mar 24, 2008, 12:46 PM
Gotta admit that is some good engineering though. But, whatever that awful noise is (small gas engine?) has gotta go! By the time it gets scaled up to actually carry more than it's own weight it'll look like something out of Star Wars (can Darth Vader and the Death Star be for behind?,,,,oooooo:eek:)

12voltman59
Mar 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
It is very early on in the development of the thing obviously and they did need to find some way to power it independently---it sounds like a chainsaw motor is running it---

It is supposed to carry equipment for ground forces I guess--they are going to have to find some other source of self-powering it---that motor whining is not exactly very stealthy!!

Watching it--I kind of think about the Terminator/Sarah Connor Chronicles kind of thing----Skynet taking over the world and destroying humanity!!!! LOL

Falke
Mar 24, 2008, 1:04 PM
Gotta admit that is some good engineering though. But, whatever that awful noise is (small gas engine?) has gotta go! By the time it gets scaled up to actually carry more than it's own weight it'll look like something out of Star Wars (can Darth Vader and the Death Star be for behind?,,,,oooooo:eek:)

That's ok, we can have X-wings and lightsabers to help with all that! :cool:

alaskacouple
Mar 24, 2008, 2:15 PM
Dayum! I would really like to have a light saber! (and a hooded cape like Obi Wan)

MistressLiz
Mar 24, 2008, 8:50 PM
Help me Obi Wan... You're my only hope!

I was almost wondering if it was photoshopped because of the pixelation around the "legs" but I didn't really think they'd be kicking their friends around to show that they can keep it upright. Doesn't have a whole lot of speed though and I'd like to see it carrying a man..

Bopit4Ever
Mar 24, 2008, 8:58 PM
Interesting-however, when Japan finally perfects their sex robot then I will be truly excited!

Since I wont be able to afford a man and woman, I'll pre-order a Hermaphrodite :bigrin: