PDA

View Full Version : Comedy, who do you like?

heavyfnmetal
Mar 21, 2008, 3:40 PM
Currently, I really like Gabriel Iglesias and Demetri Martin. Some others I really like are Mitch Hedburg, Dane Cook, Bill Cosby (his records from the '60s n stuff are awesome), Dennis Leary, George Carlin... there are probably some others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

GreenEyedLady(GEL)
Mar 21, 2008, 3:43 PM
I LOVE Dane Cook :) , Ellen does fantastic stand up , she's had me rolling.

Skater Boy
Mar 21, 2008, 3:46 PM
I'm quite fond of the likes of Bill Bailey, Jack Dee, Steve Coogan, etc. But I think they're not so well known across the pond...

12voltman59
Mar 21, 2008, 4:35 PM
Right now--my favorite comedian is Lewis Black!!! He totally kicks butt!!!!!

Bloodflower
Mar 21, 2008, 4:45 PM
Stephen Lynch is hilarious! Mike Birbiglia is damn funny along with Lewis Black, Jon Stewart, Dylan Moran (Irish), Margaret Cho, Kathy Griffin, any of the Kids in the Hall...

The list goes on & on!

DarthKratos
Mar 21, 2008, 4:53 PM
Dane Cook and Lewis Black!

sometimesitbethatway
Mar 21, 2008, 5:14 PM
Anna Faris, Dane Cook, Ryan Reynolds... I mainly go on movie appearances, I don't watch stand up that often...

Abbey Road
Mar 21, 2008, 5:27 PM
Bill Bailey, Roseanne, Coupling, Desmond`s, Laurel & Hardy, Friends, How I Met Your Mother (which I saw by accident when I was on nights but was laughing my head off at!!), Monty Python, 2.4 Children, `Allo `Allo.
I know I have an unusual sense of humour.

Abbey Road. :bibounce::wiggle2::paw:

Skater Boy
Mar 21, 2008, 5:37 PM
Coupling

I used luuurve that show! I really must buy the DVD box set.

For me, Alan Partridge has his moments too. And the "Peepshow" guys.

I used to be a fan of Bottom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_%28TV_series%29) too, which is a totally crass, bad-taste English sitcom.

PolyLoveTriad
Mar 21, 2008, 5:57 PM
Mitch Hedburg woot! Dane Cook too, if I had to pick only 2 to listen to the rest of my life it would be them!

ambi53mm
Mar 21, 2008, 10:49 PM
The Three stooges...are still my favorites...especially the ones with Jerome Horwitz aka Curly...what a natural Yuk Yuk yuk...and then Cheech and Chong .well...for someone like me...what? I forgot..OK...Bobcat Goldwaith is another..I think he's bi..or at least he says he is...almost anything slapstick really does it for me...slapstick..lol...strange word to use on a bi site ooops lol

Ambi:)

Not2str8
Mar 22, 2008, 12:31 AM
Stephen Wright, Bobby Collins, Mitch Hedburg, The Three Stooges, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Dave Chappelle, Ron White, Kathleen Madigan, Emo Phillips, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Doug Stanhope, Brian Regan, Margaret Cho, Ellen Degeneres, and Sarah Silverman.

sometimesitbethatway
Mar 22, 2008, 4:21 AM
Denis Leary, John Cleese, Bill Hicks, Sam Kinison, Ron White, Dana Carvey, Dave Chapelle, Henry Rollins, The Seths- Green and Macfarlane- Robot Chicken and Family Guy are absolutely absurd. Bill Cosby, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, Dane Cook, and many others. Vive le amusant!!!

henry rollins is my fucking personal hero. he is funny but more I just like his opinions on everything

BiphobiaFighter
Mar 22, 2008, 4:51 AM
The Chaser and Shaun Micallef. :)

chuck1124
Mar 22, 2008, 7:31 AM
Wow, I'm impressed that some of you still remember when Bill Cosby did stand up. Unfortunately, I haven't heard his comedy routine in far too long. Funny,too, no one mentioned, Conan O'brien, Jay Leno, or David Letterman. because, one of my all time favorites was Johnny Carson. To my favorite list, of Cosby, Carson and the Three Stooges, let me add Ron White and Jeff Foxworthy. I used to like George Carlin back in the days that he recorded his album, "Class Clown", but his humor has become vicious and has become a real turn-off.

Bluebiyou
Mar 22, 2008, 7:57 AM
Of course, omitting the classic funny guys, Marx Brothers, Three Stooges, etc. The par excellence arrival comedian of the last 20 years:
ventriloquist Jeff Dunham.
The guy is brilliant and still funny if you're watching him for the 5th or 6th time.

csrakate
Mar 22, 2008, 9:51 AM
Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Denis Leary....but I also have fond memories listening to my parents' Bill Cosby albums.

Hugs,
Kate

chuck1124
Mar 22, 2008, 12:58 PM
Gee, thanks Kate. Don't I feel old.

csrakate
Mar 22, 2008, 2:54 PM
Gee, thanks Kate. Don't I feel old.

LOL Chuck....I'm actually not that much younger than you...it's just that, at the time, I wasn't into buying comedy albums! I might should have added that I also took great delight in Bill Cosby's stand up routine that was being aired around the time of my first pregnancy where he described childbirth and being present for the event....brought a great many laughs as I considered "taking my husband's bottom lip and stretching it over the top of his head" as my son was moving down the birth canal just so he could empathize my experience!! Of course I had a few other things in mind as well but Cosby was always such a "clean" comedian and wouldn't have said such things! LOL!

Hugs,
Kate

Bluebiyou
Mar 22, 2008, 4:26 PM
I am not in any way connected/profiting from DVD sales.
Jeff Dunham is the funniest guy in decades.
Buy his DVDs. They're different from each other (not the same material) and you won't be able to stop laughing. Plus they're only a few bucks. You're crazy if you don't.

Blue

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 22, 2008, 4:56 PM
Jeff Dunham..(My FAVE) Bill Engvall, Foxworthy, Larry the cable guy, Cosby, any kind of comedy that makes you laugh and feel good, actually. Talking and cutting up in Bisex chat. lol
Cat

buck-rogers
Mar 22, 2008, 7:05 PM
Right now I'm loving everything by Jon Dore. If you see the Jon Dore Television Show on then sit & watch, you wont be sorry. If you're in canada you can see every episode online @ thecomedynetwork.ca

http://www.thefulcrum.ca/files/images/ARTS_JonDore_JonDoreShow.feature.jpg:rolleyes:

sometimesitbethatway
Mar 22, 2008, 7:16 PM
Anyone like Amy Sedaris? I love Strangers with Candy, it's one of my favorite shows ever made.

"I like the pole annnnnd the hole"

bisexualinsocal
Mar 22, 2008, 8:12 PM
Mitch Hedburg

heavyfnmetal
Mar 23, 2008, 3:19 PM
Of course, omitting the classic funny guys, Marx Brothers, Three Stooges, etc. The par excellence arrival comedian of the last 20 years:
ventriloquist Jeff Dunham.
The guy is brilliant and still funny if you're watching him for the 5th or 6th time.

Jeff Dunham rocks. That guy has lots of issues.

cand86
Mar 23, 2008, 9:40 PM
I love soft-spoken comedians . . . comedians who yell all the time might be funny but I'm always so put-off by their method that I never can listen very long. Give me a comedian where the comedy just comes at you without you seeing it coming . . . that's good stuff.

I love Dimitri Martin, Mike Birbiglia, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Jeff Dunham (oh, those pupets are hil-ar-ious!), and more I know I'm not thinking of.

And I'm addicted to singing comedians . . . you can't beat Stephen Lynch or Henry Phillips.

cand86
Mar 23, 2008, 9:42 PM
Anyone like Amy Sedaris? I love Strangers with Candy, it's one of my favorite shows ever made.

"I like the pole annnnnd the hole"

Oh man, I LOVE Amy Sedaris! She, Colbert, and Dinello are like the comedy threesome gods . . .

ShyBritInMI
Mar 24, 2008, 12:43 AM
my all time favourite is lee evans, an english comedian, he has done some films too, jeff dunham is very funny too....dane cook and carlos mencia just steal from other people....plus cook just tells stories that are funny, not something i would call comedy....eddie murphy and richard pryor are probably up there in my top 10 too.

Stargazer1417
Mar 29, 2008, 8:28 PM
We watch almost nothing by comedy in my house...

we LOVE Dane Cook, Chris Rock, and Dave Chapelle for standup.

For movies, I highly recommend Clerks II, Super Troopers, Baseketball, Beerfest...

I could go on for a while. Like I said, that is pretty much all we watch. :bigrin:

TaylorMade
Mar 29, 2008, 11:25 PM
Steve Byrne. Half Irish/Half Korean.

http://www.freetimes.com/assets/images/issues/1512/MusicByrne.jpg

*Taylor*

Abbey Road
Apr 2, 2008, 4:02 PM
I used luuurve that show! I really must buy the DVD box set.

For me, Alan Partridge has his moments too. And the "Peepshow" guys.

I used to be a fan of Bottom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_%28TV_series%29) too, which is a totally crass, bad-taste English sitcom.

I`ve got all 4 seasons on dvd - I was gutted when Geoff left as I thought he was just so funny!!

Abbey Road.

:bibounce::wiggle2::paw:

darkeyes
Apr 2, 2008, 8:32 PM
Me dad afta he has had a few.. no bigga laff 2 b had ne wer...:bigrin:

FalconAngel
Apr 2, 2008, 11:16 PM
Well, there is Robin Williams, Jim Carey, the late Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Cosby, the late Johnathan Winters, Chevy Chase.

Tom41bimwm
Apr 3, 2008, 5:53 AM
I like Lisa Lampanelli, Jon Reep, Chris Porter, John Pinette, Lana Turner, Josh Blue, Tim Wilson, Ralphie May, Ron White, Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Engvall, Larry Miller, and Jessie Nutt.

darkeyes
Apr 3, 2008, 11:54 AM
Never heard of lotsa these peeps... spose it cumsa bein a Britgal.. but if giggles r wotyas afta then Dawn French an Jennifer Saunders r brill....AbFab merely 1 lil thing wich is hard 2 beat for laffs... Billy Connolly for raucus hysterics an ratha rude, crude an sacriligeous stuff.. spesh is reely early stuff..Raw Meat to the Balcony is awesome. But ifya want more subtle but equally brill fare..then ya cant get much betta than Victoria Wood.. hav seen er live a few times an me sides hurt jus thinkin bout it!!

frenchlick
Apr 3, 2008, 1:10 PM
If you want to laugh your ass off, watch Ron White. He is HILARIOUS!

**Peg**
Apr 3, 2008, 2:32 PM
Ron White is my #1 choice :)

the mage
Apr 3, 2008, 2:50 PM
Does anyone remember Hudson and Landry?

I like all the popular funnys mentioned, I had Bill's early stuff on vinyl for ages..

200mph..buck buck... fat albert were all memorized in my early days.

oh and Monty Python!!

Fire Lotus
Apr 3, 2008, 3:26 PM
Monty Python, Denis Leary, Jon Stewart, Eddie Izzard, George Carlin (from years ago.), Margaret Cho, Dennis Miller (back when he had his HBO show.) , Kevin Smith, the first Saturday Night Live cast - John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, (although, didn't care for his movies so much.) Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain, , Laraine Newman, Garrett Morris.

open2both
Apr 3, 2008, 6:30 PM
Dennis Miller.
Chris Rock.
Nick DiPaolo.
Bobby Slayton.
Patton Oswald.

case_126
Apr 4, 2008, 10:33 AM
Bill Hicks
Eddie Izzard: Cake or Death?, Chow, and who can forget the Death Star Canteen!!!!! LOL
Richard Pryor
Coupld of South African comedians as well.

ChgoDom
Apr 4, 2008, 10:41 PM
For me, it's Artie Lange. If I am looking for more "observational" comedy-then it's George Carlin.

Bluebiyou
Apr 5, 2008, 10:01 AM
Jeff Dun HAM dot com
Jeff Dun HAM dot com

Honestly, I have nothing to do with this guy. But for less that $20 (usa) I got both of his DVDs. They were worth three times that much.

We'll see him soon on the road!

Fer God's sake, look him up on you tube!
Even after I saw the several you tubes on him, the DVD was even better.

ChelleNYC78
Apr 6, 2008, 10:05 PM
i enjoy Paula Poundstone, Kat Williams, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle (sp?), Bill Maher, Lewis Black, Lisa Lampanelli, Patton Oswald and Sam Tripoli. Margaret Cho, Ellen Degeneres and Rosie O'Donnell have their good days. they are hit or miss with me.

in terms of recent writers on tv i find the writing of American Dad, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Frisky Dingo, Squidbillies and The Colbert Report have me ROLLING. Back in the day i thought Absolutely Fabulous and Monty Python were the best.

i think Douglas Adams and Tom Robbins are still some of the best writers around in terms of who makes me laugh with their novels

i saw Steve Byrne's last 2 standups and he was on FIYAH - that bit about making love while playing acoustic guitar is still hilarious