PDA

View Full Version : Propostion 3.17 make St Patricks Day a national holiday in the US

Bisexualnewbie
Mar 17, 2008, 11:22 PM
Everyone needs to go to the following website and sign the petition to help Guinness make St Patricks Day a national holiday in the US.:)
Says the deadline is the 16th but sign it anyway

http://www.proposition317.com/stpats.html?deepLink=null

gfofbiguy
Mar 17, 2008, 11:28 PM
I signed...:bigrin:

FalconAngel
Mar 18, 2008, 12:10 AM
St. Patrick didn't drive the snakes out of Ireland. He drove the Druids out of Ireland......their symbol was the snake.

And while I love St. Patricks day, as a Pagan, I am a little leery of allowing another holiday based around another Christian.:eek:

alaskacouple
Mar 18, 2008, 12:35 AM
St. Patrick didn't drive the snakes out of Ireland. He drove the Druids out of Ireland......their symbol was the snake.

And while I love St. Patricks day, as a Pagan, I am a little leery of allowing another holiday based around another Christian.:eek:

Strangely I agree, as a Christian I think that special days to honor past Saints and Church Holy Days should be kept within the Church. Prime examples of the total loss of meaning of these days are Christmas and Resurrection (Easter). Non-Christians should not be forced to observe something they neither understand nor believe.

I vote for a National 3 day weekend for everyone!

DiamondDog
Mar 19, 2008, 8:18 PM
I signed.

I'd like a day off of work to recover from the Irish flu! :)

hey_there442
Mar 19, 2008, 8:55 PM
Strangely I agree, as a Christian I think that special days to honor past Saints and Church Holy Days should be kept within the Church. Prime examples of the total loss of meaning of these days are Christmas and Resurrection (Easter). Non-Christians should not be forced to observe something they neither understand nor believe.

I vote for a National 3 day weekend for everyone!

Christmas technically even a Christian religion, many scholar's agree that Jesus wasnt born in december, the bible's descriptions of the weather does not support it.

The real Christmas is a pagan holiday, which has gift exchanging, drinking, and orgies... well in Roman Paganism anyways.

alaskacouple
Mar 20, 2008, 2:40 PM
Christmas technically even a Christian religion, many scholar's agree that Jesus wasnt born in december, the bible's descriptions of the weather does not support it.

The real Christmas is a pagan holiday, which has gift exchanging, drinking, and orgies... well in Roman Paganism anyways.

Absolutely correct. In fact, the ancient Church never made the claim that it was Christ's factual day of birth. What I have been taught is that it was originally a Pagan festival, but as the Church grew and more and more people became Christians they desired to have an alternative to the Pagan celebrations (hey! no one wants to miss a party!) - So the Church gradually incorporated the traditional mid-winter festival into the Church calendar. Worked out good I guess, and everyone could have a mid-winter celebration. Now I think we need to accept that for most Americans, Christmas is not a religious celebration, but just another version of the mid-winter celebration.
IMO, Christians can have a much nicer celebration in the Church, Pagans can have their own traditional celebrations, and the rest of America can...well, I guess go into debt?

Delilah
Mar 20, 2008, 2:46 PM
I signed!! I got Irish in me from my Dad's side ;)
More reason to have orgy... er I mean celebration :bigrin:

12voltman59
Mar 20, 2008, 8:20 PM
Go to Savannah, Georgia and practically the weeks before and after St. Pat's Day are holidays----that is one of the biggest days of the year in that city.

It is one big huge PARTY!!!!!