PDA

View Full Version : The Friday Rant

Bisexualnewbie
Mar 7, 2008, 8:39 PM
Ok starting today and every Friday I figure we should have a Friday Rant.........
I'll start..............
Why is it that weather presenters get things wrong 90% of the time but don't get fired?.......I know in my job I would.
But saying that I'm in Vegas so they really can't go wrong saying its going to be hot and sunny..........lol

rock-g'sguy
Mar 7, 2008, 8:53 PM
ll here in Florida the F**ken Weather Man never get's it right..... Well maybe today, it is f**ken raining and I want to go out......... This is a messed up way to start the weekend off..... I am stuck at home with no one to..... Well at least I have RockGardener......................:bipride: :bipride: :bipride: you can ever have enought pride.......

the mage
Mar 7, 2008, 9:11 PM
My rant...dumbfuck middle age lady who ran a red even got a ticket for it, came within 1/10 of a second of killing my Lady, and still refused to admit the mistake.

If you fuck up in traffic its much less onerous if you just admit the error...

lonelygirlintx
Mar 7, 2008, 9:54 PM
Weather here in North Texas is fucked up! I'm so tired of having it snow one day, melt the next, snow again the next day, then melt again! What the hell is causing all of this?! I feel better, this was a good idea.

eddy10
Mar 7, 2008, 10:33 PM
It was sunny, mid 70's, light wind, and the birds were singing. It is a great life if you don't weaken. I love Las Vegas. Opps, I am supposed to be ranting. Well, then, I hate the loving citizens that become demons as soon as they get behind the wheel.

kitten
Mar 7, 2008, 11:18 PM
I am starting vacation today and I hope that the whole family spends quality time together instead of arguing all over again like last time!

Eddie altamonte
Mar 7, 2008, 11:26 PM
ll here in Florida the F**ken Weather Man never get's it right..... Well maybe today, it is f**ken raining and I want to go out......... This is a messed up way to start the weekend off..... I am stuck at home with no one to..... Well at least I have RockGardener......................:bipride: :bipride: :bipride: you can ever have enought pride.......

If I had Rock around I would never wanna go out!

12voltman59
Mar 8, 2008, 12:39 AM
Actually-- I think that the weather people generally get the weather right---the one thing is--weather is part of a big huge system--not all of which the scientists have all figured out yet--that they get it right at all is a wonder--where I live-- as I write this we are in the midst of a blizzard warning and they sure as heck got it right--they said it would start snowing around here between 7 and 8 am on Friday morning and it started snowing between 7 and 8 am--the only thing they got wrong in this case---they said the main snow track with the deepest snow would basically follow along the I-71 corridor, but the biggest snow is actually falling about 40 or so miles west of that line--which is actually pretty good considering the main snow line could have tracked many more miles from their predicted path depending where the center of the low pressure center responsible for this storm was tracking----

Also when it comes to weather----thank goodness for technological developments like Doppler radar when it comes to weather--doppler weather made it possible to detect things like windshear that used to be a major hazard to aircraft, especially when they are on approach to or outbound from airports and of course doppler has made it much easier to know when tornados are forming inside strong thunderstorm cells.

Doppler radar and the greater ability it gives weather forecasters to warn people on the ground of possible tornados and of windshear for aircraft have saved many lives.

Certainly weather forecasting for hurricanes has also improved greatly in recent years---it was not all that long ago that the only way someone living on a coastal area knew a hurricane was approaching was to watch the barometer falling fast and also seeing seabirds coming ashore----now weather forecasters can tell you days in advance that your area is most likely going to get hit by a hurricane and also with a good idea of how bad it will be--of course---total precision is not exactly possible now---thank God that they do get it wrong because if they had been right---New Orleans would be totally gone since they said it was going to take direct hit of a Cat 5hurricane---but when Katrina hit--the center of the storm hit on east into Mississippi and it was "only" a Cat 3 when it came ashore.

Once again--it does show the utility of science--it may not be perfect--and things do get better as we know more---just because they have not figured out something 100 percent does not mean it cannot be put to use--if that was the case---Microsoft would not be one of the biggest companies in the world if they waited to put out a perfect product----even the MAC operating system--as good as it is--is not perfect either and think about how different the world is due to the fact that we are now so reliant on computers---there are some things I don't like about computers---but can anyone really say that they would really want to go back to a time before computers became so commonplace????

To tell ya the truth--I would not want to go back to such a time---nor to a time that I can't turn on the television or bring up my computer to get live, real time radar and satelite imagery of what the weather is doing.

Annika L
Mar 8, 2008, 12:57 AM
Actually-- I think that the weather people generally get the weather right---the one thing is--weather is part of a big huge system--not all of which the scientists have all figured out yet--that they get it right at all is a wonder--where I live-- as I write this we are in the midst of a blizzard warning and they sure as heck got it right--they said it would start snowing around here between 7 and 8 am on Friday morning and it started snowing between 7 and 8 am--the only thing they got wrong in this case---they said the main snow track with the deepest snow would basically follow along the I-71 corridor, but the biggest snow is actually falling about 40 or so miles west of that line--which is actually pretty good considering the main snow line could have tracked many more miles from their predicted path depending where the center of the low pressure center responsible for this storm was tracking----

Also when it comes to weather----thank goodness for technological developments like Doppler radar when it comes to weather--doppler weather made it possible to detect things like windshear that used to be a major hazard to aircraft, especially when they are on approach to or outbound from airports and of course doppler has made it much easier to know when tornados are forming inside strong thunderstorm cells.

Doppler radar and the greater ability it gives weather forecasters to warn people on the ground of possible tornados and of windshear for aircraft have saved many lives.

Certainly weather forecasting for hurricanes has also improved greatly in recent years---it was not all that long ago that the only way someone living on a coastal area knew a hurricane was approaching was to watch the barometer falling fast and also seeing seabirds coming ashore----now weather forecasters can tell you days in advance that your area is most likely going to get hit by a hurricane and also with a good idea of how bad it will be--of course---total precision is not exactly possible now---thank God that they do get it wrong because if they had been right---New Orleans would be totally gone since they said it was going to take direct hit of a Cat 5hurricane---but when Katrina hit--the center of the storm hit on east into Mississippi and it was "only" a Cat 3 when it came ashore.

Once again--it does show the utility of science--it may not be perfect--and things do get better as we know more---just because they have not figured out something 100 percent does not mean it cannot be put to use--if that was the case---Microsoft would not be one of the biggest companies in the world if they waited to put out a perfect product----even the MAC operating system--as good as it is--is not perfect either and think about how different the world is due to the fact that we are now so reliant on computers---there are some things I don't like about computers---but can anyone really say that they would really want to go back to a time before computers became so commonplace????

To tell ya the truth--I would not want to go back to such a time---nor to a time that I can't turn on the television or bring up my computer to get live, real time radar and satelite imagery of what the weather is doing.

Volty! You're completely missing the point of this thread! People aren't trying to solve (or even to name) life's problems here...they're here to rant! Rants needn't be rational (the most amusing aren't!)...in fact, some would argue that to be a true rant, they *can't* be rational. So leave science in the lab where it belongs, and let people vent their petty frustrations once a week. :tong:

FalconAngel
Mar 8, 2008, 1:16 AM
Meteorologists have gotten far better than they used to be.

Prime example;
In WWII, the weather over a bombing target would be given to the crews usually no more than an hour before take off and when they get to the target, the weather is nothing at all like it was predicted, more often than not.

When I was a kid, they would predict the weather and they had a 50-50 chance of getting it right.

Nowadays the tv weather predicts a certain percent chance of rain and 90% of the time they will be right.

If they keep getting better it will be like Back to the Future II, where they would predict the time and place it will start raining and the time and places it will stop, all with real accuracy.

We should be so lucky, right?

12voltman59
Mar 8, 2008, 1:19 AM

12voltman59
Mar 8, 2008, 1:22 AM
Volty! You're completely missing the point of this thread! People aren't trying to solve (or even to name) life's problems here...they're here to rant! Rants needn't be rational (the most amusing aren't!)...in fact, some would argue that to be a true rant, they *can't* be rational. So leave science in the lab where it belongs, and let people vent their petty frustrations once a week. :tong:

That is the way I rant my dear!!:bigrin::bigrin:

Sorry it appeared twice---I had posted it the first time but I came up with a screen saying that there was some technical problem with the post--so I came back later and hit the post button again not thinking to open another window to see if it had in fact been posted---I hate when that happens!!!!!

kitten
Mar 8, 2008, 8:04 AM
volty giving me smiles twice this morning!
Thank you and I love your ranting style!

Hope everyones Saturday is off to a great start!

I like the Friday rant thing! good idea!

**Peg**
Mar 8, 2008, 9:45 AM
I missed this thread on Friday, so my rant is:

the weatherman here is ALWAYS right (see my posting about 11 feet of snow and counting).

*whimper*

Peg (arms too tired to put my earrings ** on LOL)

flirtchewieflirt
Mar 8, 2008, 12:19 PM
So what is the weather going to be friday.... 2057? 4 major global temperature monitoring groups came out explaining that this past year showed the single greatest drop in global avg temp since they started monitoring.

The Barefoot Contess
Mar 8, 2008, 12:47 PM
"The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain" ("My Fair Lady"). Not really. I am in Spain right now, in a city called Santander, definitely not in the plains, and it has been raining non-stop for a freaking week. Not happy about it.

I support the idea of Friday rants :)

Skater Boy
Mar 8, 2008, 1:09 PM
Well, I'm pissed that catwalk models generally don't go for broke, unemployed layabouts who visit the gym more infrequently than they should and still live with their parents.

I'm also pissed that I don't drive my dream car (perhaps an old convertible VW Beetle or Nissan Figaro); have my ideal job (hmm... architect or head of a design empire); have a wide circle of cool and interesting friends that truly adore me; have good enough social skills to get people to do the things that I want them to do; have a nice penthouse somewhere in the city, overlooking the river; have an IQ that makes Stephen Hawking look like a kindergarten kid with learning difficulties; a Midas-touch that makes Bill Gates look bait for a loan-shark; oh, and an extra couple of inches down below.

There, I think that about covers it for now. But I'm sure I'll think of more later...

diB4u
Mar 8, 2008, 1:32 PM
Well, I'm pissed that catwalk models generally don't go for broke, unemployed layabouts who visit the gym more infrequently than they should and still live with their parents.

I'm also pissed that I don't drive my dream car (perhaps an old convertible VW Beetle or Nissan Figaro); have my ideal job (hmm... architect or head of a design empire); have a wide circle of cool and interesting friends that truly adore me; have good enough social skills to get people to do the things that I want them to do; have a nice penthouse somewhere in the city, overlooking the river; have an IQ that makes Stephen Hawking look like a kindergarten kid with learning difficulties; a Midas-touch that make Bill Gates look bait for a loan-shark; oh, and an extra couple of inches down below.

There, I think that about covers it for now. But I'm sure I'll think of more later...

Hmm true true.....

I'm annoyed.....................

1. The lack of anything fun every happening to me... I work for the most of the week, and still living at home... cant chase a dream....

2. That my talents can't be recognised, I know I have some somewhere, but sheesh trying to find a resource or an outlet that helps me be the person that I wanna be is hard.

3. The fact that If i was a skinny woman- and my genetics and medical issues stops me from being that woman- I could pass off as a faux man....

4. That I can never be the person that I want to be.

5. That I want to be sucessfull without being easily recognised- like the thousands of authors or poets that make it big time, that can walk down the street without getting approached for autographs.

6... That as a single person everything is against ya. Housing?? Please, why should i end my days in a bedsit, when excuse me i want a nice flat for myself... Where in Englad is housing for the single person? Holidays- pleeaaaaassssseeeee, as a single person I would have to pay the industry more money because I travel alone. Is that fair? No. But tough, if you travel alone there are organisations that deal with single travellers but are still more expensive than normal holiday agencies.

Bisexualnewbie
Mar 8, 2008, 2:45 PM
Friday rants.............should I use the same thread every week or use a new one ??

The Barefoot Contess
Mar 8, 2008, 2:53 PM
Friday rants.............should I use the same thread every week or use a new one ??

I'd use a new one, maybe with a number ("Friday Rant 3") to keep track of them, or with something in the title that says what the rant is about ("Friday Rant: Why I Like Chicken and Waffles")?

Just my :2cents:

Bloodflower
Mar 8, 2008, 5:09 PM
Why is it that weather presenters get things wrong 90% of the time but don't get fired?

You know, I've noticed that a lot lately. I'm so sick of weather people being wrong almost all of the time. What's the point of having a radar for the weather if you can't read it correctly? :eek:

Skater Boy
Mar 8, 2008, 5:25 PM
You know, I've noticed that a lot lately. I'm so sick of weather people being wrong almost all of the time. What's the point of having a radar for the weather if you can't read it correctly? :eek:

Obviously its a "rough science". But you could always just buy yourself a barometer if you think you can do it better... :tongue:

Delilah
Mar 9, 2008, 1:28 AM
Sorry I have missed Friday's rant.
Yesturday (Friday), I was refueling the car and didn't realize that my skirt was tucked in the backside of my skirt. Yes that's right folks, my buns was exposed for the construction workers behind me to view. At least I had thong on so there, I wasn't completely mooning construction workers.
Thank God I paid at the pump. I was tempted to run inside and get a cup of java :tong:

PolyLoveTriad
Mar 9, 2008, 7:39 AM
Here the weatherman didnt say a damn thing about the wind that was going to hit us. Even tore off a section of my roof! Maybe he should come fix it lol Our weather station is fairly decent. Except for the time they said it was a tropical storm nothing to worry about and we woke up in the middle of the night smack in the middle of a cat 1 hurricane. They messed that one up!

It also ticks me off when people park in the handicap spaces and then "jog" into the store. Park your lazy butt like the rest of us in a normal spot and walk! My husband is on crutches right now, has a permit and makes him walk farther when some lazy moron does that crap.