PDA

View Full Version : "...forsaking all others....as long as ye both shall live".

Lorcan
Mar 1, 2008, 11:34 PM
Did anyone else leave that part out? We certainly did, knowing that we were both bi and not partial to monogamy.

Did you write your own vows in any way? or are ya gonna?

void()
Mar 2, 2008, 2:05 AM
If memory serves correctly, I believe ours included to love, honor and cherish one another, but skipped over forsaking all others and the inclusion of any deity.

"Salvation you offer me? What am I being saved from, or for?":yinyang::cutelaugh:upside::)

FalconAngel
Mar 2, 2008, 3:01 AM
Ours was a medieval Pagan Handfasting and used the words "as long as love lasts", but it did include truth, honesty and respect as well.

TaylorMade
Mar 2, 2008, 3:44 AM
Did anyone else leave that part out? We certainly did, knowing that we were both bi and not partial to monogamy.

Did you write your own vows in any way? or are ya gonna?

If and when it is my time... I either will write my own or actually leave out "Forsaking all others . . ." since I wanna be honest.

God stays in tho. I like Him. :)

*Taylor*

Hephaestion
Mar 2, 2008, 4:45 AM
Is it possible that 'baby is being thrown out with the bathwater' when the 'forsaking all others' bit is abandoned?

It needn't mean sexual fidelity but rather a caring commitment to one another through life's undulating fotunes. If this bit is not of relevance then what is the point of marriage - tax purposes?

Even at this level, homosexuals (which bisexuals must be part of) have fought long and hard for the recognition for this kind of commitment (spare a thought for caring siblings who are denied this recognition in the UK).

This said, it is important to define where the line is to be drawn and the honesty which a true relationship demands be engaed always.

And so endeth the sermon on this Sunday.....

void()
Mar 2, 2008, 11:56 AM
If and when it is my time... I either will write my own or actually leave out "Forsaking all others . . ." since I wanna be honest.

God stays in tho. I like Him. :)

*Taylor*

We do not dislike God. We're merely indifferent toward a being as such, as they appear indifferent towards us. But, we're glad you've found your path and won't dissuade or attempt converting you. Everyone must find their own respective light. We wish you well on your journey. :) And the we here is myself and the wife, in case there was any confusion.

"Oh look, new and improved electric monks off the factory line! What's this they're now equipped with quantum theory logic chips? There goes the neighborhood." :)

innaminka
Mar 2, 2008, 5:31 PM
My goodness. My last one (2nd, pahleeaase!) was just on 20 years ago. It was a civil ceremony - we'd both been "recycled" and we wrote our own. I'm pretty sure we included love and honor - there was certainly no obey.
If memory serves me (there were no copies made) we had something like "as long as life and love thrives."

But don't quote me. Anyway, we're still doing alright despite my little "prediliction." :female::female:

PS Horror time! I think we may have said those words - foresaking etc in my 1st. Smypathetic amnesia reigns in that matter, but it was a traditional churchy thing, so maybe... guess I'm gonna burn!

TaylorMade
Mar 2, 2008, 7:08 PM
We do not dislike God. We're merely indifferent toward a being as such, as they appear indifferent towards us. But, we're glad you've found your path and won't dissuade or attempt converting you. Everyone must find their own respective light. We wish you well on your journey. :) And the we here is myself and the wife, in case there was any confusion.

"Oh look, new and improved electric monks off the factory line! What's this they're now equipped with quantum theory logic chips? There goes the neighborhood." :)

I never assumed you didn't, I just added the tag line b/c it somewhat reminded me of one of those cartoons, where one of the characters says . . ."I like him. He's silly."

:p

*Taylor*

pasco_lol_cpl
Mar 2, 2008, 10:12 PM
The funny thing is that we never thought about it until we heard the words. Well at that point we figured it would be pretty rude to just walk off the altar in front of each other. So we just gave each other a wink and continued on with the ceremony. Later we have a roaring laugh about it.

Lorcan
Mar 3, 2008, 12:41 AM
actually, as crazy as it sounds...

i replaced "till death do us part" with "forever and always". So I guess in all of my future reincarnations i'll have to leave out the "forsaking all others" :tong: cuz i'm already married to one. :bigrin: Makes me wonder if i've done this before. :rolleyes:

Told ya i was crazy.

darkeyes
Mar 3, 2008, 2:22 PM
Wen Bri an me got married we used the words...even meant em an all...think wen yas in luff most of us dus.. but things change an in the end they don mean 2 much..the marriage breaks bown an yas end up lookin round for summat betta or r simply driven crazy wiv frustration, boredom an the feelin of "Is this it?".. well for me it wosnt it..me marriage vows went down the Swanee.. an everythin went down the plug ole. Not an unusual story.. all 2 common... jus shows ya that all 2 many of us end up wiv rong partners, an jus cant hold 2 promises made...cos if we did..ther wud b more domestic violence, hatred an spouses in clink for murder than ther r.. an more of us wud b mentally insane an lokked up in the nut house... an those who wud muddle through wud do so in the midst of the mos awful misery..an no 1 wud b happy.

1 thing ya mite b interested in..me mum an dad got hitched an actually used the reely old fashioned words in ther weddin ceremony.... me mum sed she wud "luff, honour an OBEY"!!! Tee hee... jeez...did me dad honestly expect er 2 keep up that promise???? Fat chance!!!! am not sure she didn say it wiv er fingies x'd behind er bak an mutta unda er breath "an u (me dad) will luff honour an obey me Dearest"... wich e duz..in all things..cept wen it cums 2 is luffly yungest daughter..aint e nice??? The daughter is a rite cow..but daddy is luffly!!!